Nettle Hair Rinse and low on time

LovinLocks

I keep seeing snippets about nettle hair rinsing. After three days of trapsing through forums will someone please just give me the synopsis of the 4-1-1 about it?

Thanks.

Just occurred to me to Google it. Is this the bottom line:

"Stinging nettle makes the best hair rinse ever. Boil a bunch of it in water, cool, strain. Store in refrigerator or freezer. When you wash your hair, pour some on as a final rinse (don't rinse it off). Your hair will be really soft and conditioned without the greasy feeling of oily conditioners.

It will spoil if stored at room temp. I put some in a plastic bottle and take it in the bath to warm up before I pour it over my head."

and

Sun and the weather can really make our hair look thin, limp, and lifeless.

If your tresses could use a little bodifying boost, this simple formula is for you: It will add strength, luster, and incredible fullness to your hair.

Only one herbal ingredient does the trick, and a few drops of optional essential oil adds fragrance, shine, and silkiness.

Nettles are a wonderful herbal ally, not only for fuller, more beautiful hair, but as a calcium-rich tonic that benefits the entire system.

Dried nettles and nettle tincture are easy to buy. Just order online at Blessed Herbs or Mountain Rose Herbs.

Blessed Herbs is on the East Coast and Mountain Rose Herbs on the West.

Here are two variations on the Big Body formula. The second one couldn’t be easier!

Big Body Hair Rinse
2-4 tablespoons dried nettles
1 cup purified or distilled water
3-5 drops lavender essential oil (optional)

1. Combine herbs and water in a stainless steel or glass pan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for half an hour. Remove from heat and let cool, then strain out the liquid and discard the spent herbs.

2. After shampooing, gently towel-blot your hair, then wrap a towel around your neck. Leaning over a sink or basin, apply the rinse with a spout bottle. For extra potency, pour over a basin so the rinse won’t drain away, then pour the collected liquid through the hair to use every drop. Do not rinse out. Blot hair dry with a towel.

I'm on way to Food Coop to get this below (KISS):

Even Easier Big Body Formula
30 drops nettle tincture
1 cup water

This formula does not require boiling or fussing. Simply mix the ingredients and apply to hair as above.

Adapted from Naturally Healthy Hair, by Mary Beth Janssen (Storey Books, 1999).

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
Great information, does nettle have some caffeine in it? Don't want to use this at night!

luckiestdestiny

I've been nettle rinsing since sept of last year. Its no big deal. You just boil it like you do regular tea. It doesn't have caffeine. You let it sit (steep) and then you use it as your final rinse,concentrating on the SCALP as that's how you get it to stimulate growth. You can just pour it or use a nozzle like I do. Just do it when you wash your hair. The End

Ta da!:grin:

luckiestdestiny

I don't do all that you mentioned in your article. I just use it to stimulate growth as mentioned above. I've done research online and I didn't want to go through all of that to make a tincture, when other sites say a regular nettle rinse will work just fine. And it DOES. It really stimulates growth and it's natural so that's what I love.

I don't have time to go around applying stuff to my scalp daily. I just won't do it (okay I'm lazy). I like low maintanence hair and this fits in well with it.

LovinLocks

I got the tincture at Food Co-op. Easey peasy, just gonna put some drops in water and apply like LD said.

luckiestdestiny

I was normally at 1/4 and after over 1 inch. I posted it in another thread using my bangs as a starting and finishing point.

I don't use the TINCTURE so I can't tell you about that. In addition, I use the NOW organic tea bags "Nettle" and that's the only type I've used so I can't comment on other brands or what they've done. I have been known to chop up some lavender and rosemary or sage and boil it with it if I have it. But mostly I just use the nettle by itself and boil into water.

LovinLocks

Sweet! Gon 'head wid yo knowledgeable self. :yep:

B glad when my powder chl arrives. Wanna see if I notice anything different than pills I've been taking. Guess I can hijack my own thread:rolleyes:.

P.S. Outta be interesting. I've kinda decided to transition to silver so there is this white band of silver hair at my roots about ummmmmm 2" wide in some spots. Now can you imagine what this is going to look like as that "band" grows out . . .eee uu and when it's like what half and half (6" silver/4" of the dyed part). Ay yi yi. Hope I hold the course without cutting. Will remain to be seen, that's fer sure.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

That nettle tincture...make sure it doesn't have alcohol. I know that Tinctures can be made in alcohol and that could be drying which will cause you to have the OPPOSITE happen. Meaning breakage.

That's why I just use the pure distilled water and nettle only.

Check to see how they make the tincture.HTH

luckiestdestiny

I also forgot to add that my hair never grows the same each month. at the least on the nettle it's grown .75 at the most over 1 inch but both are more than my normal .25

LovinLocks

That nettle tincture...make sure it doesn't have alcohol. I know that Tinctures can be made in alcohol and that could be drying which will cause you to have the OPPOSITE happen. Meaning breakage.

That's why I just use the pure distilled water and nettle only.

Check to see how they make the tincture.HTH

Grrrrrrr, "contains certified grain alcool (48-58%), distilled water & Nettle extractives"

It's going BACK as soon as I return from my out of town trip.

Girrl good looking out!!!!! :wallbash:

luckiestdestiny

Sorry to hear that. Glad that you checked though. I'd recommend ordering yourself some NOW nettle tea bags, boil them cool them and use. They're under 3 dollars on amazon, and they're organic. I LOVE them. IT usually takes a week or so to get to you so you might want to order so you'll have it next week to get started.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000E7L81E/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

HTH

Another tip: You'll have to HUNT to find them in the store. I've NEVER found it in NY, Ky, or when I visit friends in L.A so I just buy a few at a time on amazon and move on.

LovinLocks

Hello dear,

The good news is the Food Co-op where I purchased the tincture from has whole, organic, loose herbs and such. Ya scoop up what you need, weigh it and keep it movin' (they even have organic almond and peanut butter), anywho. I can walk or ride my bike, that's how close it is to my apt. They were the business until Whole Foods came. But, even so, the Food Co-op is a "co-op" it's owned by us, the members. Plus, it's here in the city whereas WF is up/out in the burbs. Totally different feel (if you feel me).

Point is, they have loose herbs and spices all day long. I'll have 'em Monday when I return. So glad you were here to save a sistah. Thank you, LDestiny.

Yaw'll have a great weekend.

I'm out!

LL

Ltown

Greyland
I've been nettle rinsing since sept of last year. Its no big deal. You just boil it like you do regular tea. It doesn't have caffeine. You let it sit (steep) and then you use it as your final rinse,concentrating on the SCALP as that's how you get it to stimulate growth. You can just pour it or use a nozzle like I do. Just do it when you wash your hair. The End

Ta da!:grin:
Great, don't want any stimulant keeping me up at night. thanks

LovinLocks

Have my stinging nettles now. Since we know water is a moisturizer and we moisturize then seal with oil. I am thinking why not put the nettle concoction on my scalp when I am doing my p.m. hair ritual of oiling scalp, massage, then putting sealant on my ends then braiding, etc. for the night?

rben

I've been lurking over in the Chlorella thread for just over a month now so I know all about LD's nettle tea bags! I had to try them as the Chlorella had already proved to be a great find. I couldn't believe how soft my hair was after the rinse. It was even softer the second time I did it when I left it in instead of rinsing it out with water. It got rid of my crunchy ends when nothing else would and somehow it seems my hair stays much more moisturised in between washes since using the nettle too.

Thanks to LD I have the softest hair I've ever had :)

I did wonder though if I could try using the stinging nettles in my garden as I have a patch of them just growing wild.

LovinLocks

It got rid of my crunchy ends when nothing else would and somehow it seems my hair stays much more moisturised in between washes since using the nettle too.

Thanks to LD I have the softest hair I've ever had :)

I did wonder though if I could try using the stinging nettles in my garden as I have a patch of them just growing wild.

From what I've read "stinging nettles" herbs, IS "nettles"; just shortened word.

I am simply awestruck by the results you ladies post here at LHCF. I hope I get at least half the benefits everyone is saying. I remain encouraged. I did my first stinging nettle rinse last night, sealed with coconut oil, braided and went to bed.

rben

From what I've read "stinging nettles" herbs, IS "nettles"; just shortened word.

I am simply awestruck by the results you ladies post here at LHCF. I hope I get at least half the benefits everyone is saying. I remain encouraged. I did my first stinging nettle rinse last night, sealed with coconut oil, braided and went to bed.

I may just boil up a few leaves then :grin:

What were your results from the rinse?

LovinLocks

I may just boil up a few leaves then :grin:

What were your results from the rinse?

Wellll, having only done it once . . . . girrrl, you don't wanna ask me I just don't seem to pay attention to detail :ohwell:. My hair is already soft from all the other crap I've been using, LOL, i.e., CO and co-washing, deep condishes :rolleyes:. Maybe I'll be able to see something in a month ????

People keep telling me I'm being impatient with all these treatments and such (chl, hair cocktail); so I'm trying to chill about it all.

2themax

I did wonder though if I could try using the stinging nettles in my garden as I have a patch of them just growing wild.[/quote]

Yes, yes yes!!! I have patches of them growing in my yard and I do the following:

Pick them from the roots
Wash for nearly 10 min
Boil for at least 1 hour
Strain and put into plastic containers after it cools
Place and leave in the refrigerator

Not only do I use it for rinsing, but I also drink it:yep: (1 cup in the morning and 1 cup before bedtime). It doesn't taste great in fact it's bitter, but it's working wonders for my hair growth!!! Also, I add about 1 tsp of Cayenne Powder (look out cause this makes it taste very hot) but it also stimulates the scalp and gets the blood pumpin! At the end of every week when I wash my hair I notice just a little more growth where before wasn't seeing anything:wallbash: Also I use Stinging Nettle capsules (it consists of only the leaf but still works) that I buy from GNC. Guess you could say that I'm a Stinging Nettle fan. :yep: Haven't tried the tea bags yet, but keep hearing a lot about them.

nysister

I bought the Alvita brand tea from Puritan's Pride. I heat the water, add granulated lecithin, steep overnight, and then pour it over my hair in the morning. The lecithin becomes super mushy and just pours through the hair. I squeeze my hair and than run a bit more water over it. I find that it makes my hair soft. I than spritz with Glycerin and water. Sometimes I add some Dr. Miracle's leave in conditioner, but it's pretty soft without it.

Links ---
http://www.puritan.com/nettles-626/nettle-leaf-tea-079619
http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Lecithin-16-oz-454-g/4070?at=0

*Muffin*

I made an herbal tea blend using nettles, rose hips, sage, and rosemary. I put the herbs in a mason jar, then I boiled enough water to fill the jar, then I poured the hot water over the herbs, put the lid on it, and allowed it to infuse over night. I add about a tablespoon or two of this tea to the portion of conditioner I co-wash with. Very soothing to the scalp :yep:.