Never introduced myself, but now I'm APL!

jprayze

I joned LHCF in June 2011 and never really introduced myself; I just jumped in!

I wanted to kind of go back and tell a bit of my story (the short version) starting in September/October 2009 when I had a relaxed tapered cut. After that, I began to grow my hair both in length and transitioning.

September 2009.jpg

The last pic in this row was my starting pic when I joined.
longtermprogress.png

I hit APL in June 2012 and trimmed in June and July to get rid of any relaxed ends that remained. Then just this week, I hit APL again 9.27.12.

lengthcheck928.JPG

I'm SL curly ***wash and go taken same as day as straight pic. I'm a 3b/c.

wNgo0927.JPG

Braidout from July

braidoutJuly2012.JPG

Anyway that's a few pics from my hair journey! It's finally starting to click for me...I'm finding the staples that work for me and black tea rinses and I have become best friends.

jprayze

Can I really say anything about my last yr with LHCF without talking about MN? I started until MN from March until July 2012 and stopped for a month in August. I did experience quite a bit of shedding in the month off which prompted the black tea rinses. I resumed using MN in September.

Many of you may have seen this pic which was my siggy for quite a while. This was from March to May.

marchtomay.jpg

Here's another progress pic. The twistout done on the left was in March before MN and the one on the right was in September.

twistoutMarchtoSept.jpeg

I haven't been without setbacks, besides the shedding I mentioned. I detected a bald spot above my right ear back in June as well as my temples being sparse. I attribute those problems to a combination of things-- frequent trips to Domincian salons (like biweekly for a year), changing blood pressure medication, low Vitamin D levels, and bunning way too tightly at the beginning, but I believe every hair will come back!

Thanks to each and everyone who has helped me along way; we have only just begun...on to BSL!

Thanks for reading,
Jprayze!

09282012.JPG

Last edited:

KaramelDiva1978

jprayze Congrats on your progress! Wow your March to May pics are quite impressive! What is your length goal? I am in the sulphur challenge may have to revisit MN. Thanks for sharing!

BostonMaria

Welcome! When I started I didn't introduce myself either LOL beautiful hair and congrats on reaching APL

sent thru my iPhone

jprayze

Regimen

I mostly do my hair at home and I try to limit heat styling to once a month.
Cleanse either every 2 weeks if I’m straight or every week if I’m in a natural style (mostly twist outs or braid outs). I either use Miss Jessie’s Crème de la Crème or Creme of Nature Moisturizing Formula Shampoo. Before I wash, I prepoo with avocado oil, honey, and Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner and leave it for at least an hour up to overnight. I don’t do this every time I wash, but most of the time I do. I use honey for the hydrating benefits as well as the lightening effects.

After wash, I deep condition most of the time. Every once in a while, I might skip this if I don’t have time. Some of the Deep conditioners I use are Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayo (with heat) and Alter Ego Garlic Mask.
I was having trouble with my hair shedding with my hair shedding, so I started doing black tea rinses to prevent shedding. I do the black tea rinse after the deep conditioner. (I try to make the tea the day before wash day and store in the fridge.)

Trims—I get trims as needed, so I can retain as much length as possible…like every 3-4 months. My last trim was end of June, so I guess I’m about due. I try to dust my ends once a month, but I haven’t done so since I got such a big trim last time.

I try to take a multivitamin, 1000 mcg biotin, and Vitamin D daily and I need to drink more water! Daily scalp massages with a mix of MN, Wild Growth Hair Oil, a few drops of peppermint oil, and apricot oil. I think that's it!

jprayze

[USER=31551 said:
KaramelDiva1978[/USER];16941301]@jprayze Congrats on your progress! Wow your March to May pics are quite impressive! What is your length goal? I am in the sulphur challenge may have to revisit MN. Thanks for sharing!

My first length goal is MBL by the end of 2013 (ambitious) and eventually, WL.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Congrats jprayze!!!! You have made great progress!!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
My curly cutie JPRAYZE!!!! You go girl!

NaturalfienD

I see you getting your shine on girlfriend!! Your hair is beautiful @ Jprayze …

You'll have MBL by the neck soon … I am sending you good hair vibes!!!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
jprayyyyyze!! Congrats on meeting a goal! woohoo! Your hair, esp those twist outs, sooo pretty!

:bighug:

jprayze

[USER=316517]caliscurls[/USER] said:
@ JPrayze your hair looks great! It's really filled in over the last month

Thanks!!! that's why I started a thread on long term MN usage bc my head really seems to like it!

jprayze

NaturalfienD said:
I see you getting your shine on girlfriend!! Your hair is beautiful @ Jprayze …

You'll have MBL by the neck soon … I am sending you good hair vibes!!!

Thank you! I receive them!

DarkJoy I used a sample Miss Jessie's curly pudding for that twistout...now trying to determine if I want to drop the big bucks for some more but I love the definition and control.

jprayze

Hopefully I encouraged someone. Growing up I was always known as a long hair girl but as we know the definitions of long hair vary and there really wasn't any one around me with MBL or WL hair! My mom did not use any direct heat on my hair until I was about 12. She did braid outs before they were called braid outs, roller sets, and cornrows! So I can't really say how long my hair was as a child...but I estimate about ApL. If stretched, about SL in braid outs. When I started using heat and eventually relaxers, I stayed a steady SL, always SL.

Well this weekend my mom says I think your hair is longer than it was at a child. That was a great moment. It's definitely longer than it has been in my adult life. I never would have it beyond SL until I really committed to my hair journey.