New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

dr.j

Man oh man.....I could be BCing anytime soon. My relaxed ends are just too weak and brittle regardless of mini chops. I really do hate to lose my length though. DH does not like short hair at all...!!!

SherylsTresses, about how much length would you have if you BC? I can understand about not wanting to lose length.

ZkittyKurls

SherylsTresses what if you did some protective styling to keep yout mind off your hair a little less? like braids w/o entensions or w/, or maybe a sew-in. thats what kept me from looking at my straggly useless ends. :) also if you know or feel you are not ready to bc then you may not be as comfortable w/ ur bc and may feel insecure about it, if you have not mentally prepared yourself to do it this soon. :)

fivetimestwo

I'm a little past 16 months post right now and I'm going back to wigs/half-wigs for the winter. Hopefully this will help me resist the urge to chop because all of the styles I do on my transitioning hair look a H.A.M. :ohwell: I plan on buying a new wig or half wig every month until winter is over and then I'll decide where to go from there.

Rapunzel*

almost at 17 months post and brought a half wig and tomorrow will be 1 week of protective styling in 1/2 wig
still unsure on how long i want to transition. i will be in this wig until december =]
pics will come soon

LaFemmeNaturelle

Do any of you ladies go to the salon to get your hair straightened?

What was their technique in straightening your hair?

My mom says she's going to pay for me to go to my old stylist to get my hair straightened for Thanksgiving. I was going to do it but she insists on letting them do it so the stylist can give me a nice trim. I'm a bit scared because of my two textures. This is the same stylist who did my hair when I was natural and relaxed and my hair was never damaged. But how do I know she'll be able to deal with two different textures, plus I have ALOT of hair? I've never seen any of her customers with two textures so I don't really know what to expect.

I thought about detangling beforehand but I know when she washes it, it will just get tangled all up again. I need some reassurance!

SherylsTresses

SherylsTresses what if you did some protective styling to keep yout mind off your hair a little less? like braids w/o entensions or w/, or maybe a sew-in. thats what kept me from looking at my straggly useless ends. :) also if you know or feel you are not ready to bc then you may not be as comfortable w/ ur bc and may feel insecure about it, if you have not mentally prepared yourself to do it this soon. :)

I've been using Kimmaytube's leave-in in place of Roux Porosity Control. My natural hair loves her leave-in but I don't think my relaxed hair agrees with it at all. I'll try Roux again and see what happens. I really am not ready for BCing.

Last edited:

Fab_Nikki

Yesterday was my 1 year transition anniversary. :D Of course I didn't make it but YAAAY ME!!! lol

How are you ladies doing?

LaFemmeNaturelle

Yesterday was my 1 year transition anniversary. :D Of course I didn't make it but YAAAY ME!!! lol

How are you ladies doing?

Girl congrats still! You didn't fall back to the creamy crack and thats all that matters lol

I'm doing good! Re-braiding my hair and excited about my new regimen!

LaFemmeNaturelle

LaFemmeNaturelle Thanks lady...so what's your new reggie?

Just shampooing weekly like I did in the beginning of my journey. My hair grew super fast last year (9 inches in 10 months) and is growing super slow this year (5-6 inches in 11 months) lol only difference between last yr and this yr was I stopped taking BC in november and I stopped shampooing. Until last Thursday, I hadnt shampooed since July and before that I was doing it every month or every 2 months. I started the BC in July I think but my hair is still growing slow so the shampoo is my last hope lol. I'm thinking its a clean scalp issue. So, I'm gonna try this for 4 months and see if anything changes.

Fab_Nikki

Just shampooing weekly like I did in the beginning of my journey. My hair grew super fast last year (9 inches in 10 months) and is growing super slow this year (5-6 inches in 11 months) lol only difference between last yr and this yr was I stopped taking BC in november and I stopped shampooing. Until last Thursday, I hadnt shampooed since July and before that I was doing it every month or every 2 months. I started the BC in July I think but my hair is still growing slow so the shampoo is my last hope lol. I'm thinking its a clean scalp issue. So, I'm gonna try this for 4 months and see if anything changes.

Honey that is a niiice amount of growth daaang!!!! Please post pics of your progress. :D

LaFemmeNaturelle

Honey that is a niiice amount of growth daaang!!!! Please post pics of your progress. :D

Fab_Nikki well I have pics of my progress pics from last year in my photo album except I don't have the first two months when I got my hair cut. I have flat ironed length checks from June to February but I havent flat ironed since November. I've just been measuring my new growth and pulling my hair.

Last edited:

bibirockz

I just did an overnight prepoo with amla oil EVOO &honey. Then I cowashed and did an ACV rinse and left it on my hair. My hair felt moisturized and I'm still in my braids.

SmilingElephant

So i've been kinda panicky about transitioning lately....i don't know why i've been thinking my hair will never grow back to where it is now if i cut it....but then i think about how fast my sister's hair is growing and how she's now at a length she NEVER reached while relaxed.

I'm so scared to cut off my hair....even though i'm planning a 2 year transition....which leaves me with 18 more months....and now i'm thinking...should i do a mini chop to BSL like i had planned to do for next year??? Or just wait two years and then just cut all the length off??

LaFemmeNaturelle

I feel you SmilingElephant. That's part of the reason why I'm maintaining wl until I'm fullynatural. All this talk of ssks and split ends freak me out and I don't want to deal with them if they are going to prevent me from reaching wl again so I'm just gonna trim slowly. If I must Cut more, I will but my main goal is to only cut an inch every 2 months.

Last edited:

Ijanei

Bumping! :yawn:
how is everyone's transitioning going?
Haven't been on this thread in about 2 months but I am proud to announce that I am exactly 24 weeks post, which makes it 5 months and 2 weeks yesssss! Only have 12 months and 2weeks left to end my transition. I have so many waves and I love them. I get so anxious to cut the rest of these relaxed parts off. Just thought I would share a pic of my curlies:rolleyes::spinning:
(I couldn't get a clear pic)

LaFemmeNaturelle

OK so.....if you ladies are having a hard time detangling, try a shower comb! I bought a Conair shower comb from sally because they didnt have the jilbere. OMG! I've never been able to comb through so easily with just suave conditioner. I always have to use AOHSR to detangle but not with this comb!!! TRY IT! I heard the Jilbere shower comb is better and cheaper. I think the conair was like 2 dollars and some change and the jilbere is less than 2 dollars.

KurlyNinja

I just looked up and realized I'm 8 months post as of today. My transition is going really well. I do not plant to BC anytime soon. I'm actually retaining more length than expected. I may not BC until my NG is full SL or closing in on APL.

LaFemmeNaturelle

YAY glad to hear your transition is going well miryouku. My plan is to not BC at all and just trim gradually or as needed. Especially with everyone saying sl to apl is the hardest, I know for sure I won't chop before my natural hair gets to APL. Scary! lol