New *2012* Transitioners Support Thread!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Still detangling. Bit by bit. :rolleyes: But feeling much better as I've made good progress and have put most of my hair in twists. I hope to have it completed today.

tarheelgurl

@NJoy Have you tried using aloe vera juice to detangle? I mean I pretty much hated washing or doing anything else to my hair because of the tangling. It would dread on wash day something terrible. Then I finally buckled and bought some aloe vera juice and mixed it with conditioner and the dreads just melted...I'm not lying. So, now its a staple in my house. I actually don't have tangling issues much anymore and only have to use the mix about once a month. HTH!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
@@NJoy Have you tried using aloe vera juice to detangle? I mean I pretty much hated washing or doing anything else to my hair because of the tangling. It would dread on wash day something terrible. Then I finally buckled and bought some aloe vera juice and mixed it with conditioner and the dreads just melted...I'm not lying. So, now its a staple in my house. I actually don't have tangling issues much anymore and only have to use the mix about once a month. HTH!

i second that^^^^^

another good option is to treat the new growth with some glycerin. i do this when i have waited too long to take a bun down and wash my hair....the shedding makes detangling impossible, but glycerin, applied the night before a detangling and shampoo session, does wonders.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@@NJoy Have you tried using aloe vera juice to detangle? I mean I pretty much hated washing or doing anything else to my hair because of the tangling. It would dread on wash day something terrible. Then I finally buckled and bought some aloe vera juice and mixed it with conditioner and the dreads just melted...I'm not lying. So, now its a staple in my house. I actually don't have tangling issues much anymore and only have to use the mix about once a month. HTH!

I did have aloe vera juice in my DC, thinking that would help melt away tangles but it didn't. I ended up putting avj and water in a a spray bottle and used that to help detangle the last day. It did help a lot. Thanks.

I think my problem, in addition to crazy shrinkage, was that I had been using hydrocortizone cream on my scalp because I think EVCO had my scalp feeling itchy. I haven't been cowashing much lately and think the buildup had my hair sticking together in clumps. That coupled with not detangling to remove sheds regularly probably had my hair feeling dreaded. I had to stop fighting "knots" and start pulling apart clumps and stretching shrunken strands.

i second that^^^^^

another good option is to treat the new growth with some glycerin. i do this when i have waited too long to take a bun down and wash my hair....the shedding makes detangling impossible, but glycerin, applied the night before a detangling and shampoo session, does wonders.

Hey. I didn't know about that. I'll give it a try before detangling. Thanks.

So, my hair is in twists now and I'm feeling SO much better. Other than the bonelaxed ends, my twists look long, thick and healthy. I think I see my inner "HairCrush" coming out and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I plan to rock twists for a bit, finger detangling some of them each day to remove shed hairs. I also think I want to go back to regular cowashing. I'm just gonna have to work with my hair thru the good and bad til we get this dance right.

In the meantime, I'm happy again. :yep:

AJellyCake

I have been detangling this hair for days now and STILL am not thoroughly detangled. I mean, I twisted up a few detangled sections in the back and it's nice to have my hair go all the way down my back to my hips. That makes me want to take my time transitioning. But, this detangling is frustrating. I can't guarantee these ends will make it beyond this weekend. This is just crazy. I just feel like I can get it to grow back quickly if I didn't have to worry about all this tangling.

And the shrinkage is insane. I almost feel like my hair is cut already until I feel the stringy hairs. *sigh* Just venting. And it's late.

Oh, and what if I still have this much trouble after I BC? What if I ruined my hair trying to go natural and then find that my natural hair is too much to handle?

*sigh* Let me take my tired tail to sleep. I'm whining and that;s not a good look. G'night.

NJoy ^^THIS! This has been me for the past few weeks! Detangling is such a nightmare. I made a thread about it previously, but yes, I'm definitely thinking of BCing early (sometime in the next few months rather than at 21-24 months).

You also hit on my biggest fear too: what if my natural hair tangles just as much?:sad: I would have struggled for so long just to chop off my hair (longest layer's MBL) and for what? So, yes, I'm scared! I'm especially concerned that my hair will be soooooo short if I BC soon.

I will probably BC in June because I don't want to deal with the stress of finding a new regimen now either.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy ^^THIS! This has been me for the past few weeks! Detangling is such a nightmare. I made a thread about it previously, but yes, I'm definitely thinking of BCing early (sometime in the next few months rather than at 21-24 months).

You also hit on my biggest fear too: what if my natural hair tangles just as much?:sad: I would have struggled for so long just to chop off my hair (longest layer's MBL) and for what? So, yes, I'm scared! I'm especially concerned that my hair will be soooooo short if I BC soon.

I will probably BC in June because I don't want to deal with the stress of finding a new regimen now either.

@naturalnewb

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!!! :eek2:

All we can do is hope for the best, girl. :pray:

Before I finally detangled, my hair was so shrunken and looked soooo much shorter. It was THEN that I realized, I'm not ready to BC. It was a little shocking. I have to ease into it by trimming my way to natural. Or at least wait until my natural hair is around MBL. Even that will feel short after being HL. Ah well. That's why support is needed. We're in this together. :yep:

Last edited:

newbeginnings2010

Ladies, are regular braidouts really practical for retaining our relaxed ends? I've been thinking, and it seems like and awful lot of manipulation to rebraid every night and unbraid every morning. Wouldn't that result in significant tangling on wash day? What are you ladies using as a regular style while transitioning?

JJamiah

Ladies, are regular braidouts really practical for retaining our relaxed ends? I've been thinking, and it seems like and awful lot of manipulation to rebraid every night and unbraid every morning. Wouldn't that result in significant tangling on wash day? What are you ladies using as a regular style while transitioning?

I am going between 3 styles either my beloved Curlformers, Bunning or Wigging it which I am doing now. I haven't wigged it in a minute so this is my style for the next 5 months at least.

When the weather gets cooler again. I will rock a few weeks of my hair straight to put some mix in the game. I am suprised I wore my hair out so long though. :)

Nhightower

I'm 6 weeks in and I plan to transition for 6-9 months. I'm already over my relaxed ends and I'm anxious to just have natural hair.

My goal is for my hair to be thick and healthy and to grow it however long it wants to grow.

AJellyCake

i second that^^^^^

havilland Wowwwwwwww.:clapping::clap::clapping:
You were not lying about that glycerin! I bought a bottle because of your recommendation and used it while I detangled in the shower, and it was a miracle worker. My hair is completely tangle free! The glycerin just melted through all of the tangles: the big ones that are like messy braids and the tiny "spider" ones! Thank you!!!!

newbeginnings2010 For me, braidouts were great for retention. But I had to learn not to to them every day; every day braidouts were causing breakage. So I do a braidout one day and then usually bun it for the next day (or two :look:) because my braidouts don't last very long at all. My hair really thrived on this and avoiding heat.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
i second that^^^^^

@havilland Wowwwwwwww.:clapping::clap::clapping:
You were not lying about that glycerin! I bought a bottle because of your recommendation and used it while I detangled in the shower, and it was a miracle worker. My hair is completely tangle free! The glycerin just melted through all of the tangles: the big ones that are like messy braids and the tiny "spider" ones! Thank you!!!!

havilland
naturalnewb

I'm assuming you're spraying on a glycerin/water mix. Is that right? And if so, what glycerin to water ratio are you using? TIA

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
havilland
naturalnewb

I'm assuming you're spraying on a glycerin/water mix. Is that right? And if so, what glycerin to water ratio are you using? TIA

Noooooooo:nono:I do not put water on my hair if it's tangled . I use straight glycerin

For regular detangling I use conditioner but if it's tangled and or matted, straight glycerin only. Water would only make my hair matt up and dred.

Glycerin and oil are all I use until all shed hair and tangles are gone

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Noooooooo:nono:I do not put water on my hair if it's tangled . I use straight glycerin

For regular detangling I use conditioner but if it's tangled and or matted, straight glycerin only. Water would only make my hair matt up and dred.

Glycerin and oil are all I use until all shed hair and tangles are gone

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up. :yep:

AJellyCake

havilland
naturalnewb

NJoy
I always detangle in the shower. It makes it a lot easier for me.

For the glycerin, I just poured a gob of it onto the tangles. It really did help melt them away. Definitely a staple for me.

I tried a water and glycerin spray when I first started my HHJ but my hair didn't like it at all. I may need to revisit it later or just keep the glycerin as a detangler.

Is your hair staying detangled now?

bosswitch

I'm taking the plunge and transitioning y'all.

1. How far into the transition are you?
4 months

2. Whats your transition goal?
Until my natural ends reach SL unstretched (which could take a while :look:)

I'll be using BKTs to soften my texture and make my life easier. I'm going to do my first treatment when I get time to go to the BSS and pick up a flat-iron. I'm really excited for this journey guys :yay:

toyas08

10 months post! Woot Woot! 8 more months until I BC, I cant wait to see my curly hair once more. I cut the nape at 1 months post and my curl pattern is more looser than the first time I went natural. I'm so upset that I didn't take picture my first time going natural. I am glad that I learned a lot this time around because the first time it was a natural disaster (pun intended). My shrinkage was mad crazy and my hair got matted and I didn't know what to do. So praise sweet baby Jesus for LHCF and YouTube.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy
I always detangle in the shower. It makes it a lot easier for me.

For the glycerin, I just poured a gob of it onto the tangles. It really did help melt them away. Definitely a staple for me.

I tried a water and glycerin spray when I first started my HHJ but my hair didn't like it at all. I may need to revisit it later or just keep the glycerin as a detangler.

Is your hair staying detangled now?

naturalnewb

Yes, it's doing much better now. I've had it in twists since that last detangling session and have added veggie glycerin to my spraybottle mix (water, avj, veggie glycerin, infusium23 and aphogee leave in). It really seems to be helping to keep my hair well-moisturized so I'm using this as my water-based moisturizer.

I've been redoing a few twists a day to keep them fresh and to remove shed hairs. Last night, it was so easy that I ended up taking out all of my twists, detangling and putting my hair into 4 Celie braids-- preparing for my wash today. We'll see how this continues to play out but for now, I'm doing pretty good. :yep:

Hi ladies! I hope I'm not too late.

- I'm 8 and 1/2 months into my transition.

- I plan to transition for 18 - 24 months, depending on how long my hair is. My hair is currenlty in between APL and BSL, and I'd love to have at least SL natural hair even with shrinkage. Right now I'm just learning a lot and trying not to get too frustrated when my hair is not cooperating with me. I recently figured out that detangling in the shower works best for me, and that DCing at least once a week is a must. I have a plug-in heat cap that comes in handy. Some of my favorite products right now are Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, IC Fantasia Gel, and Vatika Coconut Oil.

Good luck everyone!

ToSelahWithLove

9months

22 months, which would be my 25th birthday. The problem is: the relaxed hair sticks together when wet and is soooo stringy... I just want it gone! To stop myself from cutting it off prematurely, I've been doing weaves for 8 week stretches. That way I don't see it much and don't get the urge to do any chopping. While in weaves I wash 1-2x per week. So far so good :)

Shelew

I call myself trying braid outs during this transition time the past couple of days but ugh hair all twirled up and around my fingers!! That is a lot of hair loss! I used miss Jessie meringue but that was not too softening so I tried Shea butter curlie smoothie when I braided tonight. Just too much manipulation and I end up in a bun anyway sigh!! Have any of you ladies been doing braidouts during transition and if so which products were helpful for you?

Oh also I am only APL but itching for a cut since I found a good person to cut. I was thinking it could be a mini chop :). Was just going to try and get it in a cut I saw on nikstarr Fotiki just a long in front bob. Should I cut or just continue on with more length? After this braidout stuff may not be any length left!!! TIA

MissMusic

For those having issues with detangling, I find I don't have problems unless I let water touch my hair before detangling. I DC on dry hair with AO Honeysuckle Rose, then I detangle making sure to get ALL OF THE SHED HAIR OUT and put my hair into four sections. Then I wash each section (shampoo and/or condition), and when I step out of the shower, my hair is not a tangled mess. You HAVE TO get all of the shed hair out of your head before washing, or else it will take you awhile to detangle.

If you are not using a lot of silicones, then try to shampoo as little as possible, I find this helps with detangling. Keep the hair very moisturized and stay away from shampoo as much as possible. HTH!

newbeginnings2010

For those having issues with detangling, I find I don't have problems unless I let water touch my hair before detangling. I DC on dry hair with AO Honeysuckle Rose, then I detangle making sure to get ALL OF THE SHED HAIR OUT and put my hair into four sections. Then I wash each section (shampoo and/or condition), and when I step out of the shower, my hair is not a tangled mess. You HAVE TO get all of the shed hair out of your head before washing, or else it will take you awhile to detangle.

If you are not using a lot of silicones, then try to shampoo as little as possible, I find this helps with detangling. Keep the hair very moisturized and stay away from shampoo as much as possible. HTH!

I second MissMusic

I was trying to detangle by just misting with water and EVOO, but I was yanking out a ton of hair and getting a LOT of breakage. Now I'm using Shea Moisture's conditioner and applying it on the dry new growth like a relaxer, then applying it to the ends and working through it with a wide tooth comb. I did all this in four sections yesterday and found that most of the hairs that come out are shed hairs instead of balls of hair like before. Detangling on conditioner-soaked hair before washing works wonders for me. I still always run the comb through again after shampooing and reapplying conditioner, just in case, but I've found little to no breakage the second round of detangling as well. I may skip this step in the future.

I've also quit the cones and the sulfate shampoo as of yesterday, but of course I haven't yet seen the long term effects of that.

newbeginnings2010

@Shelew

I have given up on the braid outs as of two weeks ago because of having the very same experience as you. It just seemed like too much manipulation just to end up in a bun one day (or five seconds) later. I'm starting to come to terms with using buns as my regular style and focusing on my hair accessories makeup, and jewelry. I'm just glad I've always maintained a HUGE jewelry collection since high school. :yep:

Last edited:

MissMusic

As far as styling goes, I am currently doing the crown and glory method, started it at about 8 months post. When I was just dealing with my hair, I did twist-outs or braid-outs, and then when it started to look bad (about day three), I turned it into a bantu knot out (done on the old twist-out, wore for two days), and then that would end up in a bun (two days), ending up with about a week of styles while still washing my hair only once a week.

Examples:
I did this twist-out btw crown and glory phases at 10 months post:
http://www.fromshorttolong.com/2012/02/todays-hair-022812.html
video on this style can be found here: Ultra-Defined Twist-Out

This is the resulting bantu-knot out a day later instead of two-days, cause it rained:
http://www.fromshorttolong.com/2012/03/todays-hair-22912.html

and then I bunned, which I don't think you need pictures of. Again, HTH!