New *2012* Transitioners Support Thread!

newbeginnings2010

Theresamonet

Aww, but you've come so far! I wish I was where you are. 2 years worth of growth is a lot. Maybe you deserve a reward, like a good blowout and flat iron? It can't hurt every once in a while.

Theresamonet

Theresamonet

Aww, but you've come so far! I wish I was where you are. 2 years worth of growth is a lot. Maybe you deserve a reward, like a good blowout and flat iron? It can't hurt every once in a while.

I've been doing this. A good flat iron every now and then has been the only thing to keep wind in my sails for these (nearly) 2 years. But I want to wear my natural texture out. I'm tired of buns and flat irons. I tried to do a twist and curl last night.... H.A.M. :nono:

It's almost summer... Time to exfoliate your skin and let your hair down!

The only thing keeping me from chopping is that, I still don't feel that I have enough hair. I like being at bsl straightened. :look:

claud-uk

How far into the transition are you?

7 months

Whats your transition goal?

Full shoulder length natural.

How are you ladies styling your hair?

Four individual plaits under a satin scarf 24/7. If I'm going out I'll undo the plaits and put my hair into a loose pony. I have no idea how to style my hair. :sad:

claud-uk

I call myself trying braid outs during this transition time the past couple of days but ugh hair all twirled up and around my fingers!! That is a lot of hair loss! I used miss Jessie meringue but that was not too softening so I tried Shea butter curlie smoothie when I braided tonight. Just too much manipulation and I end up in a bun anyway sigh!! Have any of you ladies been doing braidouts during transition and if so which products were helpful for you?

Oh also I am only APL but itching for a cut since I found a good person to cut. I was thinking it could be a mini chop :). Was just going to try and get it in a cut I saw on nikstarr Fotiki just a long in front bob. Should I cut or just continue on with more length? After this braidout stuff may not be any length left!!! TIA

IMO I think you should only cut if your hair needs it, otherwise leave it to grow. If you're still itching, wait till it's grown the same amount that you'll get cut off then it's win-win!!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
:darkcloud:

Im so tired of this transition!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT OUT!!!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

:giveup:

Theresamonet

OMG, Girl!!!! We are SO >>>>here!!!<<<< I came by just to whine, as a matter of fact. I miss my relaxed hair. I don't want a fro. I'm tired of all this shrinkage. My hair has to be toe length for a twist out or braid out to hang at a length that I'd like. And I want swang without having to go thru 50-11 hours of detangling first. Sheesh! Whose idea was this? My hair was thriving relaxed. I can only imagine what my ends look like trying to go natural. I don't even have the patience to flat iron my hair to find out.

Whew! Ok, now that that's outta my system, I just wanna say, I'm ready to start njoy'g my hair and I miss the ease of relaxed hair. I sorta feel too vested to change up now and sort of feel obligated. Blah. Maybe it's just that time of year when I always want something new for my hair. *sigh* I really need someone to braid my hair down while this feeling passes. Otherwise, I have 2 boxes of relaxer in my closet that seem to glow when I pass by. :rolleyes:

Let me go do something to this head to make myself feel better before I talk myself into a touch up.

Theresamonet

Theresamonet

OMG, Girl!!!! We are SO >>>>here!!!<<<< I came by just to whine, as a matter of fact. I miss my relaxed hair. I don't want a fro. I'm tired of all this shrinkage. My hair has to be toe length for a twist out or braid out to hang at a length that I'd like. And I want swang without having to go thru 50-11 hours of detangling first. Sheesh! Whose idea was this? My hair was thriving relaxed. I can only imagine what my ends look like trying to go natural. I don't even have the patience to flat iron my hair to find out.

Whew! Ok, now that that's outta my system, I just wanna say, I'm ready to start njoy'g my hair and I miss the ease of relaxed hair. I sorta feel too vested to change up now and sort of feel obligated. Blah. Maybe it's just that time of year when I always want something new for my hair. *sigh* I really need someone to braid my hair down while this feeling passes. Otherwise, I have 2 boxes of relaxer in my closet that seem to glow when I pass by. :rolleyes:

Let me go do something to this head to make myself feel better before I talk myself into a touch up.

NJoy This is my second time going natural. :ohwell: The first time I felt just the way you do and I ended up giving in to the relaxer. I would urge you to at least see how you like being fully natural first. It is a feeling of freedom that you do not have while transitioning or being relaxed. I wanted to feel the water run through and weigh my hair down again in the shower, so I relaxed. lol. Immediately regretted it.

I do miss the ease of relaxers sometimes. But natural hair has a different type of ease. You just have to choose which you prefer. For me it is natural for the win.

I think it is that time of the year where you feel like reinventing yourself. I want to color my hair, big chop....Something! But these buns aren't cutting it.

BlkMane

I've been transitioning since my last relaxer in October. My exact transition time is in my signature. I've been natural off and on over the years and after several years being relaxed again, I'm now ready to go back to natural. I miss my natural texture.

My goal: To grow my hair to at least brastrap length. I like the versatility of longer hair and being able to pull it back in a long ponytail or chignon, wearing it loose or (on occasion) straight.

Now that my hair is about 2.5-3 inches longer than my profile pic, I can again wear braid-outs. I use my staple Shea Moisture products and Nunaat Keratin products and Silicon Mix to make my transition easier.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy This is my second time going natural. :ohwell: The first time I felt just the way you do and I ended up giving in to the relaxer. I would urge you to at least see how you like being fully natural first. It is a feeling of freedom that you do not have while transitioning or being relaxed. I wanted to feel the water run through and weigh my hair down again in the shower, so I relaxed. lol. Immediately regretted it.

I do miss the ease of relaxers sometimes. But natural hair has a different type of ease. You just have to choose which you prefer. For me it is natural for the win.

I think it is that time of the year where you feel like reinventing yourself. I want to color my hair, big chop....Something! But these buns aren't cutting it.

Thanks girl. I'm good now. After posting that, I started flat ironing my hair (didn't have time to finish because I had to go watch the Mayweather v. Cotto fight). But, seeing how good my hair was looking has me rededicated to the transition. That thickness does look good flat ironed. I didn't do teeny tiny sections either. Just a basic idea of what I'm working with and it looks beautiful.

I'm back in! :lick:

:grin:

ETA: Changed "stretch" to "transition". It makes a difference, ya know. :yep:

Last edited:

JJamiah

This week coming I am going to do the Crochet braids to see if this is my SUMMER Go to style for this year :) I am super excited. :grin:

mzstarr

This week coming I am going to do the Crochet braids to see if this is my SUMMER Go to style for this year :) I am super excited. :grin:

HI JJ,
i will be getting crochet braids on thursday :yep: !!! i've had them before and LOVED them because they come with style and all i need is my imagination to switch it up daily. if put in correctly, meaning "uncertain parts" in the natural hair, these braids can be flipped, pinned, lifted, pony tailed, and just about anything i could possibly want to do. last time removed them at the 8-9 week mark because i thought they weren't neat enough anymore though i was still getting rave reviews from strangers.

JJamiah

911 If I wasn't Drooling yesterday I am drooling today. I am super excited :) mzstarr thanks so much. Can't wait to see yours if you post pics. I will post for sure :)

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Been a while since I 've been in this thread. So far so good at 9+months post. My transition so far isn't too challenging. I try to keep my hair moisturised. Wash 1x a week but am considering 2x. I wash in 4 sections too.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I think I'm gonna start blowing out my roots from time to time. Just ordered a Solano nozzle.

Oh, and bumping the thread for some of them crochet braid pics y'all talking 'bout. :lick:

jerseyhaircare

Hello everyone. This is my first posting but I've been reading the posts on LHCF for about a month. I am 14 weeks post relaxer. My hair goal is MBL within 1 and 1/2 years and plan on doing a long transition (not ready to do a BC anytime soon). I must say thank you to all you ladies for your informative postings. As recently as Feb, I was totally ignorant about my hair-weaving for 6 month stretches (having it washed and rebraided every 2 months) and marveling at all the growth. Of course I would slap a perm in and after surveying all the breakage and damage, I would just slap another weave on and go happily about my business. But now I have learned the importance of cowashing, looking at the ingrediants of my products, sticking to natural products (as much as possible), and yes-finally understanding that black hair can grow!!!

MissMusic

I blew out my hair Sat. for cornrows extensions, and I love my length, I may hold on to these ends longer than anticipated

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Thoroughly detangled my hair today, twist by twist. I definitely think I have the hang of detangling. It must be done while my hair is dry (with oils).

I also realize that my last texlax was so light, it's blending well with my natural hair. I've been trimming my relaxed ends away and where the thickness ends, has to be more than 55 wks of natural hair. In any case, I plan to trim until I'm in the thickness. If that leaves some texlaxed ends, so be it.

So far, it's looking really good. I can't wait to see what the remaining 7.5 months bring. Anyone else excited that we have so much time left in this year AND the entire warm weather season? :bdance:

jerseyhaircare

I am having good and bad days during this transistion. Laying off the heat and learning to balance moisture/protein has helped me the most to combat shedding/breakage. I never have a detangling problem-think my hair is too short for that. However, styling is nightmare. Some days my hair is my friend-pretty, sweet, and compliant. Other days, my worst enemy-angry, defiant, and embarrassing. I made a small backwards step once I purchased the Babybliss steam flat iron (yes it may cause damage but somehow it whips my bipolar hair into shape) :ohwell: Thankfully I will be confining my lovely locks into Senegalese twists this weekend to give me a well deserved break.

toyas08

I put my hair in mini braids because detangling is becoming difficult, it like I detangle and five minutes later I have to do it again. I will be 11 months post tomorrow. I almost half relax and half natural. Does anyone have a method of deep conditioning while in mini braids/ or mini twist without making them frizzy? I want to try to keep them in for a month or two. Other then that I'm good. I just can't wait to get these curls back.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Ok so, now that my twists are old, washed, conditioned and ratchet, I can really see the relaxed ends. I gots a ways ta go.

I've been trimming the relaxed ends inch by inch. So far I think I've trimmed 4 inches. I was hoping to have 2-3 inches left to cut but uh....yeeeah... Nice try. Anyway. I plan to trim or cut next week, depending on what my hemline looks like. Then I'll resume my inch by inch trims, hoping to have it all cut away by the end of the year. Ehn. We'll see.

ETA: Oh, and I'm 60 wks post, btw.

Last edited:

MissMusic

I got another set of braids installed this week at 13 months post, this set should take me to month 15. At this point, I am almost sure that I am going for the 2 year mark. Here's to keepin on *cheers*

Attachments

• image-1186431425.jpg
    image-1186431425.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 19

Sade18

I'm 11 weeks into my transition. Plan to go for 2 years or at least until I'm ready to cut off the relaxed ends. I will be doing trims to help with the transition.

daviine

jerseyhaircare said:
Oh yeah, my styling method is currently curls. I like the curlformers but I love my Caruso steam curls. They are a godsend.

jerseyhaircare

I tried using my Caruso rollers to help me with my transition but it didn't work out. Can you share what you do when you use yours?

Thanks.

daviine

chrisanddonniesmommy said:
23 months, ladies!!! One month away from two years!!

I had to change my leave-in Herbal Essences Long-Term Split-End Protector, though. I don't like having to search high and low for products. My local Target doesn't have it anymore. I am sad (okay, it's not that serious, lol) but I've used that product since I started my HHJ and was still relaxing my hair.

Oh well! So, I'm giving a chance to Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Milk. I hope it works well for my diva hair.

chrisanddonniesmommy

How is/was the SM Milk?

Last edited:

daviine

NJoy said:
Oh, and what if I still have this much trouble after I BC? What if I ruined my hair trying to go natural and then find that my natural hair is too much to handle?
I can't even remember if I read this thread already or not lol but this is my fear.

Is there a way to multiquote from the iPhone?