New Advice about Hair Regimen

Hil84figer

I am developing a hair regimen. I am currently in braids but I plan on taking them out in April and relaxing. This will be the first time in a while when I will be taking care of my hair instead of going to the salon. I plan on glowing to a salon only for touch ups and trims. I am unfamiliar with the hair typing. So don't know how that works.

I have been searching the forum for some ideas
Since I workout, once a week I plan on washing. I work out in evening after work . By the time I get back, I'm too tired to do anything. Plus I still have homework to do.
I decided that Creme of Nature Shampoo and conditioner is what I will use. I have used CON recently before branding and it seemed to work. With the conditoner I will use olive oil. What will be a good deep conditioner. When do you deep conditoner? (you use it before conditioner, or alternate days b/w deep conditioner and conditioner)? How often do you deep conditon?

On night I plan on applying castor oil and coconut oil to my hair. Do you apply the castor oil to the scalp and put hair in one big braid? How with it work if you pin curl?

Do you need to clarify hair? If so, why? and how often.

What is pre-poo? How often should it be done? Do you shampoo before applying shampoo

Starting out is best to stick with one brand of products like Creme Nature then experiment from there? What other products complement Creme of Nature.

I keep hearing about MTG and NTM? What are they? Are they protein products?

But I'll continue to search the forum? I just needed feedback to see if I'm on the right track?

OT: In advance I apologize for the following ramble I am about to do.

I want to be prepared for when I take my braids out. I had serious breakage last year at the crown and nape. My hair has finally grown out especially at the nape and crown. Before the braids my I combed my hair, there was little breakage. I knew it would. I found this board at the time. At the time when it occurred, my hairstylist wanted to cut all my hair out to match the short pieces( which were 1/4 long). She said that cutting your hair makes it grow faster. She said my hair ends were dead and I need to grow it. If it wasn't for this board, I would still believe that. I held my ground and she didn't cut it. She gave me protein treatments, hot oil, deep conditioner etc. On my part, I kept my head moisturized and sealing with oil. I saw breakage less and less. It was a trying time going to the hairdresser and her looking at my hair and giving me looks. Always asking are you going to let me cut it now. I said no. Thanks this board, I was knowledgeable about the true growth of hair, not cutting but by moisture. Thanks to all of ya, I learned that you don't have to always go to the salon to do your hair. With knowledge, you can maintain healthy hair yourself and have hair growth. So all I want to say after my looooooooooooong rant, is THANK YOU ALL IN LHCF!!!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Whoo, that's a lot of questions girl!:lol: , j/k. I will try to help you with some.

I deep condition twice a month under the dryer for 20 minutes. I do protein treatments once a month and always follow w/ deep conditioner.

MTG stands for Mane Tail Groom and it's a sulfur and oil mixture used for horses which lots of ladies have found gives them extra growth. If you do a search you will get tons of info on this.

NTM is Neutrogena Triple Moisture. It's a haircare line that consists of shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, moisturizer, etc. It's a very good line and can be found in most drug stores.

You can apply castor oil to the scalp if you want. It helps increase growth and thicken the hair. It's really good stuff. I use it on my ends and it works great and helps prevent splits.

If you use a lot of products it's probably best to clarify the hair. Clarifying gets rid of product build-up and helps your products work better on your hair, especially your conditioners.

Pre-pooing is a treatment done before shampooing. You can use conditioner, oils, butters or a mixture of your choice. I usually apply mine the night before (shea butter and wgo) baggy my ends and the next day shampoo it out. It helps with breakage during the shampoo process and helps keep the shampoo from drying your hair out so much.

I think I answered some of your questions. HTH. I'm sure some of the girls will chime in too;) .

simcha

I'm assuming you are relaxed... But what hair type are you? I'm relaxed with fine hair so what works for me may not work for you. I arrived at my regimen through trial and error.

Things that don't work for me: braids, bunning, anything that requires my hair to be tied up causes breakage. Air drying, anything with lanolin, petroleum, mineral oil, or wax causes my hair to dry out and break. Too much protein, blow drying, brushing, stretching past 7 weeks, and not washing at least twice a week causes my hair to break.

What does work:

Mid-week
L'Oreals Nature Therapy Shampoo
L'Oreals Nature Therapy Mega Moisture Conditioner (in the shower)
Chi Silk Infusion on towel dried hair
Roller set and dry with heat and then flat iron (medium heat)

Nightly
put up in flexi rods and tie a silk scarf around it

no daily oils or leave ins because they just weigh my hair down and make it limp and greasy looking

Weekend
pre treat scalp with Rene Furterer Complexe 5 and on hair olive oil
Shampoo with Rene Furterer Karite
Deep Condition with Rene Furterer Karite (20 minutes with heat)
Rinse with L'Oreals Mega Moisture conditioner (the Karite acts as a protein and makes my hair a little dry)
Chi Silk Infusion on towel dried hair
Roller set under a dryer and flat iron

I color with LUSH's henna mixed with olive oil (i've tried others and they make my hair dry and cause breakage)

I clarify about once every 7 weeks with Apple Cider Vinegar (just pour out of the bottle through my hair before I shampoo)

Pre-relaxer I base with Rene Furterer Carthame

I've started to self trim again because I noticed I wasn't gaining much length and it's because my hairdresser has been evening (sp?) out my V in the back. (Which pisses me off...)

As you can see what works for a lot of people on the board doesn't work for me and I'm sure vice-versa. I hope that helps.

Hil84figer

Simcha, Pokantas, Thanks for your posts. I really appreciate. I just needed a structure to my search. With your posts and what I have learned from my research, I think I can come with a regimen I can follow.

Once THANKS!