New Carrot Juice Hair Growth Challenge

G

[ QUOTE ]
chanou said:
hey V8 splash is not that nutritious. It has too much sugar and carrot is like one of the last ingredients- You're better off buying regular V8

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to drink the V8 Splash juices in the summer of 1998...and my hair grew pretty fast because I had just gotten it cut for my high school graduation..by the end of the summer the layers were growing out..so I think the V8 Splash works because back then I didn't take any supplements or anything; I didn't follow a specific hair care system where I was taking extra care of my hair either. As far as the nutritious value-I'm not too concerned about that. I'm going to join the challenge and drink this for carrot juice.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
[ QUOTE ]
TigerOrange said:
I'm in. I tried this after you posted. One of my friend's that is on the Atkins Diet told me that I was going to get fat b/c of the high glycemic index.

[/ QUOTE ] Carrot juice does have a high GI.
The glycemic response of carrot juice can be reduced by drinking it with a tablespoon full of oil. The oil has the added benefit of increasing the body’s absorption of the fat soluble carotenoids, such as beta-carotene, alpha-carotene and lutein. Any oil will produce this effect. This is a great way to get in beneficial oils and carrot juice at the same time. I recommend coconut oil for a tasteless way to get it, also flaxseed oil, hemp oil or any of the oils you’ll find in your health food store's refrigerated section.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Brooke007 - this is valuable information.
I didn't know that oil reduces the GI response of the carrot juice. We all need to be getting these good oils anyway. I always take my tablespoon of flaxseed oil daily so this will be easy to do for me plus my body will be getting more out of my carrot juice!

It sounds like this would also apply to those who are eating raw carrots. Perhaps making a dip for carrots out of one of these oils (adding all the seasonings) would work...

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
You're welcome Isis.
For me this will be added motivation for me to get those oils 'cause I'm not crazy about carrot juice so if I'm gonna do it, I wanna get the max benefits! Great challenge! I'm hoping to be consistent for at least 3 months.

myco

Have you tried the Carrot and Orange Juice by Lakewood? It has Carrot, Orange, Pineapple and White Grape Juice in it. It's really good, and I don't really like carrots at all. I can only handle just a sprinkling of shredded carrots on a salad. If you've had the V8 Splashes it's similar to that, just not as sugary. I bought it at a health food store.

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
[ QUOTE ]
TigerOrange said:
I'm in. I tried this after you posted. One of my friend's that is on the Atkins Diet told me that I was going to get fat b/c of the high glycemic index.

The glycemic response of carrot juice can be reduced by drinking it with a tablespoon full of oil. The oil has the added benefit of increasing the body’s absorption of the fat soluble carotenoids, such as beta-carotene, alpha-carotene and lutein. Any oil will produce this effect. This is a great way to get in beneficial oils and carrot juice at the same time. I recommend coconut oil for a tasteless way to get it, also flaxseed oil, hemp oil or any of the oils you’ll find in your health food store's refrigerated section.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be going on the Atkins diet this week, and I take flaxseed oil daily. Brooke are you saying that if I take my flaxseed before or after carrot juice I'll be fine? It won't affect my keosis (or whatever it's called)?

candychild45

Im starting this challenge as well but I don't fancy the taste of carrot juice alone, so i added an apple and a small orange.. yummy

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
[ QUOTE ]
TigerOrange said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be going on the Atkins diet this week (induction phase), and I take flaxseed oil daily. Brooke are you saying that if I take my flaxseed before or after carrot juice I'll be fine? It won't affect my keosis (or whatever it's called)?

dstdiva

how odd! friday, i made my grocery list and put carrot juice on it (another thread made me want to try it). i forgot to buy the juice and as soon as i logged on today, this is the first thread that caught my eye. it must be meant to be! i'm in!

girly74

Yes, I'd like to start the challenge. I'm new to the forum, but oh so ready to get my hair in tip top condition.....

Brooke007

C.E. Cutie,
I'm sorta familiar w/ the Atkins diet, I beleive the first 2 weeks are carb free anyway or maybe it's consume less than 20g of carbs. Carrots have gotten a negative rating from these types of diets because of their sugar content and because of this Glycemic Index. Studies measure the GI of carrot to be 86 on a scale where the glycemic index of bread is 100. The glycemic response was lowered to 66 by consuming oil along with the juice. The newest fad is to measure the Glycemic load to determine the insulin effect a particular food item will have and this measurement says that carrots are a lot friendlier to dieters than previously thought. Still, you can eat them just not in excess.

Carrots or carrot juice will effect whether or not your body goes into or maintains ketosis, but so will any carb. Isis is recommending 2oz/ a day for the challenge which will be about 3 -4 grams of carbs. So as long as the rest of the carbs you consume fall within your daily allotted range (minus the 3 or 4 grams for your 2 oz of carrot juice a day) you will be able to maintain your ketosis.

The added oil won't effect how many carbs you are consuming, only the glycemic impact the carrots have. But you will get more out of the juice if you consume with a lil oil. HTH

joyous

[ QUOTE ]
girly74 said:
Yes, I'd like to start the challenge. I'm new to the forum, but oh so ready to get my hair in tip top condition.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the board and good luck on your challenge.

L

LaNecia

[ QUOTE ]
Brooke007 said:
C.E. Cutie,
I'm sorta familiar w/ the Atkins diet, I beleive the first 2 weeks are carb free anyway or maybe it's consume less than 20g of carbs. Carrots have gotten a negative rating from these types of diets because of their sugar content and because of this Glycemic Index. Studies measure the GI of carrot to be 86 on a scale where the glycemic index of bread is 100. The glycemic response was lowered to 66 by consuming oil along with the juice. The newest fad is to measure the Glycemic load to determine the insulin effect a particular food item will have and this measurement says that carrots are a lot friendlier to dieters than previously thought. Still, you can eat them just not in excess.

Carrots or carrot juice will effect whether or not your body goes into or maintains ketosis, but so will any carb. Isis is recommending 2oz/ a day for the challenge which will be about 3 -4 grams of carbs. So as long as the rest of the carbs you consume fall within your daily allotted range (minus the 3 or 4 grams for your 2 oz of carrot juice a day) you will be able to maintain your ketosis.

The added oil won't effect how many carbs you are consuming, only the glycemic impact the carrots have. But you will get more out of the juice if you consume with a lil oil. HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really great news because I'm supposed to be weaning myself off of dair for the next 20 weeks
so I was wondering how I would get through the flax/Barlean's oil. I'm going to give it a swig and be right back to tell ya what I think of the combo.

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

Thanks Brooke...there is no way I could only drink 2oz of carrot juice...I can drink 32oz in one sitting! Lol, T ghink I'll just have to wait until after induction to joinn the challange.

Brooke007

C.E. Cutie 32oz?!
DANG girl!
I guess you do like carrot juice
I'mma have to hold my breath just get to get those 2oz down a day. Then I'll need a chaser to get the taste out of my mouth. Good luck on the induction phase!

L

LaNecia

Flax and carrot juice, not bad but not as enjoyable as carrot juice by itself.

BrownBetty

I am going to try this, I am on the south beach diet which is more flexible with the carbs. I don't have a juicer, how much are the juices found in the store?

Nova

Re: New Carrot Juice Hair Growth Challenge: Day 1!

Started the challenge this morning! Used my juicer for the 1st time since I purchased it over a year ago.

I added 1/2 cucumber to my carrot-apple-ginger juice (which amounted to 8 oz.). I read somewhere cukes aids in hair growth. Tomorrow I'll add 1 tbsp. of flaxseed oil. I noticed some members ingest only 2 oz. daily. Is 8 oz. too much?

Good Luck All!

Isis

Nova - 8 oz is fine. I've learned that 2 oz is enough to give great results (like a shot of carrot juice) but you can drink more if you want to.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
LaNecia said:
Flax and carrot juice, not bad but not as enjoyable as carrot juice by itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mix mine together (if that's what you mean), I drank my carrot juice and then ate my usual salad with a tbsp of flaxseed oil in it.

Ipanema

Well, I couldn't find carrot juice in my local grocery store, so I'm just going to eat 10 baby carrots a day.

NYCchild

I wanna join this too
im off to quest to do some blood work but as soon as git home - 8oz of juice will break this fast

GinnyP

Hey guys, got a carrot juice for you it's called "Naked" just juice I purcashed the Carrot-o-copia it taste just like my baby carrots got it from my local health food store it was only $1.99 for 15.2 ozs. I have been drinking this for 3 days(lol) but its good. I think my hair is getting thicker or it could be from the boiled eggs. I want to be in the cj hair growth challenge. Oh it was in a small refrigerator in their store they also have protein drinks just for your info.

BrownBetty

so 2 oz a day is enough?
jancan7,
Could you post the ingredients of the "Naked" juice? I am on the south beach diet and can't have anything with sugar or a lot of it.
Thanks

I priced the Green foods carrot essence it is on sale ate vitaminshoppe.com for $16 and some cents
. I said "damn that", I am not paying that much for carrot flakes!

Aaliyah

How many " oz " are y'all drinking???

(I drink a long glass a day, I think that's about 8 oz.That's about 14 or 15 medium sized carrots a day).

Is this too much ??? I do this because I think it's a waste of time to pull out my juicer for just 2 or 3 carrots. If I've got some juice left I store it in the refrigerator but never longer than a day.

Isis

Aaliyah - you can drink as much as you want to. The minimun is 2 ounces each day, which doesn't sound like much but it reaps great benefits. Drinking more may speed things up. If it does, please post your results as they happen so we all can learn!

Brooke007

I downed my 2oz last night. Yuk. Tastes better cold though.
I also took a shot of wheatgrass juice too. double yuk.

It's not necessary to mix the oil with the carrot juice. You just need to consume both within the same meal/snack to reap the maximum benefits.

Also not trying to hijack Isis' challenge. It's a carrot juice challenge, not a carrot juice and oil challenge. I just added my $.02 for those of you/us looking to maximize the benefits of the carrot juice or who were concerned about the GI.

Nova

Isis:

Thanks for info. I'm really anxious to see what results I get a month from now drinking 8-oz. a day.

If 2-oz. can yield postive results, think of what 8-oz. might do!

Best of luck to you!

G

I got a Carrot Juice cocktail today at one of those dollar stores. It's an "off-brand" but I checked the label and Carrot Juice is one the main ingredients. It has 100% of Vitamin A and 130% of Vitamin C. There aren't many health food stores nearby and I don't have a juicer so this will have to suffice for now.