New COGIC Presiding Bishop: Charles E. Blake

PaperClip

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur32906.cfm
BISHOP CHARLES E. BLAKE APPOINTED HEAD OF COGIC: He looks forward to a 'promising future' in new role.

Following the death of Bishop G.E. Patterson, the Church of God in Christ (COGIC, Inc.) has transitioned its leadership.

Bishop Charles E. Blake is now the official presiding prelate of the world's largest African-American denomination.

The COGIC General Assembly appointed Bishop Blake as the seventh Presiding Bishop of at the Annual Call Meeting of the Church of God In Christ in Memphis, Tennessee.

“. . . with this appointment the denomination will continue to have strong leadership,” said Chairman of the General Assembly Bishop J.O. Patterson.

As the senior pastor of one of the largest churches in the nation, West Angeles COGIC in Los Angeles (with 24,000 members) Blake has been groomed for the mammoth role. Also, he most recently served as the First Assistant Presiding Bishop under the leadership of Presiding Bishop G. E. Patterson until his passing in March. A third generation member of the Church Of God In Christ, Blake is honored to assume the post.

“What a wonderful privilege to serve the Church that has nurtured me from my birth,” said Blake. “I am standing on the excellent foundation laid
by my predecessors. We aspire in this centennial year to reach unprecedented levels of service to God, and the people of the world.”

He is the founder and president of the Pan African Children’s Fund (PACF). Save Africa’s Children is a program of PACF that currently provides support for over 350 orphan care programs within 21 countries serving over 100,000 children. Blake is married to Mae Lawrence Blake and they have three children and five grandchildren.

Other appointments to the Presidium, the governing board of the Church, include First Assistant Presiding Bishop J. N. Haynes from Dallas, Texas, Second Assistant Presiding Bishop W.A. Brooks from Detroit, Michigan and the twelfth member of the board is Bishop E. J. Wright from Warren, Michigan.

In November at the 100th Holy Convocation, COGIC members will come to Memphis to celebrate the history and the future of the denomination. Blake wants to ensure that this year is a special one for the membership.

“We will spend this year celebrating the glorious past of our Church and embracing a promising future,” said Blake.