New Hair Straightener Called Curlex

DahomeyAhosi

Interesting but hope it's not another "copa." My mom tried that one and all of her hair fell out. I'll wait for someone else to be brave enough to try this one.

inthestars

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting but hope it's not another "copa." My mom tried that one and all of her hair fell out. I'll wait for someone else to be brave enough to try this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her hair fell out from Copa? Wow, I had heard it was bad, but didn't know it was that poisinous.

DahomeyAhosi

It was horrid. There was a class action suit filed by many who used it. Hope it tasted good (they claimed it was safe enough to eat!).

aqualung

I've been curious about Curlex for a while too. It's being reformulated and repackaged, so it's not available until after 09/15/2003. (I contacted the customer services rep.) Looks like the active ingredient is this organic carboxylic acid. (Deionized water, xanthan gum, and fragrance aren't gonna straighten anything.)

Presumably the product will have been tested on various hair types before its release, but of course the first people to order and try Curlex really are guinea pigs.
The e-mail I received from the Xenna rep. promised that "Curlex is a new product and will be available on September 15th...It will be safe on lye treated hair at that time. The break down of the ingredients will be available on September as well."

I plan to try it on shed swatches of hair that I've saved from previous combouts in order to test the product. I'll post a review here later this month.

Notice my level of desperation to lay off the lye.
Meg

AnjelLuvs

[ QUOTE ]
Her hair fell out from Copa? Wow, I had heard it was bad, but didn't know it was that poisinous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried copa my hair didnt fall out, I think mainly because I didnt use it after two packages, because I didnt see ANY results. I got like 2-3 refund checks for the lawsuit

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
I tried copa my hair didnt fall out, I think mainly because I didnt use it after two packages, because I didnt see ANY results. I got like 2-3 refund checks for the lawsuit

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how in the world Debbie Allen got involved in this fiasco? She couldn't be that desperate for money... I wonder if her daughter suffered any ill effects from the product?

lauren727

[/ QUOTE ]

i also tried copa and my hair didn't fall out, and, like you, I also didn't use it again because i saw no results besides the fact that my hair felt a little smoother afterwards (that could have been my imagination though!
)

aqualung

This just in:

Curlex is pH 2.8. (This is scary low if you've had an alkaline treatment previously, as I have.)

The active ingredient is "natural" acetic acid.

E-mails the cust serv rep regarding hair bond reformation: "We believe they do reform. Also the carboxylic amino acids that anchor the disulfide bonds are loosened by Curlex and they reform over time."

aqualung

Ugh, I'm rolling slow. Curlex is back ordered and will ship the week of September 29th. Meanwhile my new growth is taking over the greater Boston area.