New here and confused on braid-outs & twist-outs

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Hi I am a new member. I have been browsing this site for about a week now and finally decided to register. I wanted to know what are braid-outs and twist-outs? How do you do them. Also when u do bantu knots (I think this is how u spell it) do you do this on wet hair and let it dry and then take out? If so, then what is the outcome of the hair? (loose waves, tight waves). Thanks in advance for all the help

sarina0000

[ QUOTE ]
NYCQT16 said:
Hi I am a new member. I have been browsing this site for about a week now and finally decided to register. I wanted to know what are braid-outs and twist-outs? How do you do them. Also when u do bantu knots (I think this is how u spell it) do you do this on wet hair and let it dry and then take out? If so, then what is the outcome of the hair? (loose waves, tight waves). Thanks in advance for all the help

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome
I don't really know what a twist out is but I think a braid out is when you wash your hair, braid it up, then undo the braids and wear it like that. I could be wrong. But heres a link on how to do bantu knots bantu knots If I find a link to do braid outs and twist outs I'll post the link up here. I hope this helps

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Welcome to the forum NYQT.
I am terrible and twist-outs and braid-outs...but I can tell you about Bantu Knots. When you take them out...you end up with curly hair. If you would like tight curls...I would say do them on damp hair. If you would like curls that are loose...put the Bantu Knots in when your hair is completely dry. I sleep in them over night...and take them out in the morning. I recently tried Bantu Knots on dry hair for the first time (thanks to wolftrap sharing her tip)...and I had really good results with it! I find that when I put the bantu knots in when my hair is too wet...my ends look super frizzy the next morning. This is also a good way to keep your ends moisturized over night.

Isis

Welcome NYCOQT16!

I bumped a couple of threads for you on braidouts since that is what I usually wear and I learned from the ladies on this board. I make my braids on airdried hair rather than on wet hair.

I am also now wearing the braids I wear to make my braidouts.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
thank u so much for the welcome and fast replies
...I feel very welcome. I have another q tho Isis, what is a bump? (I feel so foolish...lol...but this is my 1st hair care forum)

Purtygurly

How do you air dry when you dod it Isis? You just let it dry naturally, or do you rollerset or something? Is your hair straight when airdried?

I'm asking because if I let my hair air dry it'll be a funny looking afro and I'm not sure if doing the twistout on it would work.

Isis

That's ok NYCOQT16. A bump is making a comment to a thread, like I'm doing now. It pushes or "bumps" an old thread up to the 1st page so everyone can easily see it.

Here are the links to the threads I "bumped"
BRAIDOUTS AND TWISTOUTS
Braidouts24/7 For Fastest Growth?

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Purtygurly said:
How do you air dry when you dod it Isis? You just let it dry naturally, or do you rollerset or something? Is your hair straight when airdried?

I'm asking because if I let my hair air dry it'll be a funny looking afro and I'm not sure if doing the twistout on it would work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I airdry it by rollersetting overnight. That gives it a good foundation to begin a style, any style. My French Twists, for example, are more sleek after airdrying this way first. My braidouts work very well for me this way also and have lots of body. I retain a lot of my length this way also.

My hair isn't relaxed bone straight so it has texture to it after airdrying (I have a pic in my album).

NaturalRox

Welcome NYCOQT16! A twist-out is when you put 2-strand twists in your wet or dry hair and then after you finish wearing your twists you just open them up and wear the hair "out." The braid-out is the same, just with braids. The hair ends up being wavy and you can control how deep you want the waves by how much hair you include in each braid or twist. For fuller, deep waves use large braids or twists; and use smaller braids and twists for smaller waves. I would suggest you use a moisturizer along with your braids/twists so that when you open it, it's soft and fluffy!

I do both styles on wet hair because for me, the style stays more defined once it's opened up. I have a few pics in my album of both styles so you can see.

Are you twisting on natural or relaxed hair because the results come out somewhat different, but both look just as nice!

NYCQT16

Natural Again
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
That's ok NYCOQT16. A bump is making a comment to a thread, like I'm doing now. It pushes or "bumps" an old thread up to the 1st page so everyone can easily see it.

Here are the links to the threads I "bumped"
BRAIDOUTS AND TWISTOUTS
Braidouts24/7 For Fastest Growth?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Isis

NYCQT16

Natural Again
[ QUOTE ]
NaturalRox said:
Welcome NYCOQT16! A twist-out is when you put 2-strand twists in your wet or dry hair and then after you finish wearing your twists you just open them up and wear the hair "out." The braid-out is the same, just with braids. The hair ends up being wavy and you can control how deep you want the waves by how much hair you include in each braid or twist. For fuller, deep waves use large braids or twists; and use smaller braids and twists for smaller waves. I would suggest you use a moisturizer along with your braids/twists so that when you open it, it's soft and fluffy!

I do both styles on wet hair because for me, the style stays more defined once it's opened up. I have a few pics in my album of both styles so you can see.

Are you twisting on natural or relaxed hair because the results come out somewhat different, but both look just as nice!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Natural Rox (and everyone else too
)...I have relaxed hair. I last got my hair relaxed May 22, so altho it is not bone straight it is still relaxed. What are the differences in the results for natural n relaxed hair?

Nay

Welcome

You can do braidouts or twistouts on relaxed or natural hair. I'm guessing that the only difference might be that your waves won't last as long (I could be wrong). But plenty of ladies who have relaxed hair do wear this style.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Also...how do I sleep on the end result of these braid-outs & twist-outs without flattening my hair on one side? Do I just re-braid or re-twist again?

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
NYCQT16 said:
Also...how do I sleep on the end result of these braid-outs & twist-outs without flattening my hair on one side? Do I just re-braid or re-twist again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, exactly.

NaturalRox

After wearing twists for a few days and taking them down for a twistout that style only lasts a day or two for me. My hair is totally smooshed from sleeping on it (with my satin scarf of course!) so to spruce it up the next morning, I just my hair absorb the moisture from my shower and then finger fluff. This usually kicks the style back into life instead of looking like bedhead!

NYCQT16

Natural Again
i did my braid-out a few days ago n and it did not go as planned
...it was a lil too curly and since i recently cut my hair to about chin-length or a little lower (to start off fresh w/o damaged ends) it looked a lil too ridiculous for me. I think my hair is too short for the size braids I used in my braid-out cuz I know that if my hair was longer the curliness woulda been sooooo cute. I am gonna try a twist-out probably 2nite or bigger braids for my next braid-out. I will try the maintenance tips as well...thanks again for the help and for the welcomes..I'm glad to be a part of this board