New, info overload & confused

gingertea

:ohwell:
Ok so I just joined the forum earlier today after seeing so many inspiring stories.
I have been consistently wearing sewn in weaves for like the past 5 years and I realize
that it is an expensive vanity crutch. So I decided to embark on the journey to NOT wear weaves and to take care of and grow my own natural hair. I see soooooo many phrases and acronyms I just don't get. Can anyone give me some breakdowns??? :huh: Also what is dusting, and the henna I been reading about? And what are these hair types 1A etc.
Thanks in advance:drowning:

Welcome.

Basically you have a lot of reading to do here. There are no real short cuts. Ask questions about anything you don't understand and someone will help you.

Dusting is a minor trim to remove split ends while preserving as much length as possible.

Henna is a herbal powder widely used in Africa and Middle East and India to color hair, make temp tatoos on skin and it's also a good hair conditioner. You can find it at ethnic markets, health food stores, or order online.

Hair types - It's a system of categorizing hair that helps people determine what care methods and products to use for any given head of hair. Google "Andre and Hairtypes," for more info.

Good luck and happy growing. :)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say welcome! Start out slow, mix up reading with watching YouTube videos, and try not to become a PJ (product junkie) right out the gate...that's the best advice I can offer!

HHG (happy hair growing)!

:welcome: There is a lot of information, but don't let it overwhelm you. There are some useful threads already posted upthread for you by some of the ladies. That is a great place to start. HHG (Happy Hair Growing)

Last edited:
sounds like the ladies have posted good advice... :)

As you can see there's a wealth of information. Not every method or every product will work for you, there will be some trial and error, so you will learn as you go.

As someone stated, BEWARE of becoming a PJ (Product Junkie- purchasing any and everything that "SOUNDS" good :lol:)

WELCOME... ENJOY LCHF! :)

Thank you for the useful posts. I got my start and a lot of questions answered.
~Peace to all and good luck on your HJ

I also want to welcome you aboard, this is a place where you can and will grow your hair. Its like little girls in the barbie section at Toys R Us. Its just so many products to choose from. Just K.I.S.S (keep it simple sista) until you find your way and your regimen. HHJ

:ohwell:
Ok so I just joined the forum earlier today after seeing so many inspiring stories.
I have been consistently wearing sewn in weaves for like the past 5 years and I realize
that it is an expensive vanity crutch. So I decided to embark on the journey to NOT wear weaves and to take care of and grow my own natural hair. I see soooooo many phrases and acronyms I just don't get. Can anyone give me some breakdowns??? :huh: Also what is dusting, and the henna I been reading about? And what are these hair types 1A etc.
Thanks in advance:drowning:

Your story is my story. I was a weave addict because I thought my hair would never grow down my back. My addiction was really expensive. Well that was then in 2007. I started at somewhere between ear and SL after a massive cut due to damage from weaves. When I came here I just read everything and participated in the hair forum. I lived there. Sought out ladies with my hair type more or less and followed their regimens. I originally started with Cathy Howse's regimen (using my own products) and evolved from there. I guess you have to start somewhere and then it will get easier because you'll fall into a routine! Good luck and HHG!

Welcome, you'll definitely see a difference in your hair once you've established a regimen that works for you! The Newcomer's Guide that someone posted already has loads of great info, make sure you look into it. Don't get discouraged either!

Back