New, just beginning, and need your expertise

Ms_Twana

Hello to all. First of all, I would like to introduce myself and apologize for the long message, because it's gonna be a long one. I'm Twana, and I just began to reevaluate my hair regimen and my stylists regimen when I looked at my wedding picture from 4 years ago and realized my hair is currently the same length!! :perplexed Somethings wrong with that picture.

Anyway, I believe I have type 4b hair. Is the "z" shaped waves in this hair type referring to the new growth?? I have a relaxer. I get touch-ups every 6 weeks with a trim (really a haircut from my stylist). In the back my hair is shoulder length, but on the sides it's a little past my chin. Currently, my regimen is to wash my hair weekly, let it air dry, blow dry it straight, flat iron it with my Hai flat iron, then wrap it nightly for straight hair, or roll it nightly for curlly hair. Basically I only use heat once a week. The products that I use are Paul Mitchell Tea Tree, Instant Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner, and Super Charged Moisture Conditioner. I also use Nexxus Therappe, Humectress, Aloe Rid (for swimming days), and Keraphix. I also have Nexxus Headress, Botanoil, and Ensure just sitting in my linen closet. I didn't like them very much.

I am really beginning to consider eliminating the relaxer. However, there are some things I'm a little afraid of. All of my friends either have natural hair, or they only need a relaxer once every 3-5 months. But, they all have "good" hair. So, I need the advice of those that do have type 4 hair, but wear it natural. Give me some motivation girls!!!

Also, another concern that I have about going natural is the protective styles. I can rock the braid-out and twist-out styles with no problem. But I wouldn't want to do it everydayfor months at a time. That is basically the only protective style that I liked. Oh, and the bun. I can rock that too. Just not very often. Also, I was always told that pulling your hair back breaks it off. But a lot of you seem to do it on a full-time basis. Speak on that please ladies.

Right now, I love wearing my hair down. I wear it down so often that when I do pull it back in a bun, my head hurts. Hence the reason I can't wear it very often. Maybe I could eliminate blowdrying and just air dry and flat iron. Hai is a really good flat iron, so my hair should still get flat. But, my question is, would I really be defeating the purpose of going natural, taking better care of my hair, and attempting to grow it longer if I still put heat in it everyweek??

Thank you in advance for all of your responses. I've been just reading posts as a guest for a couple of weeks now, and you ladies seem to love helping others.

Kimberly

First, let me welcome you to the board. You came to the right place for tips and information and (I think most importantly) support!

I too love to wear my hair down but I'm bunning it now in an attempt to protect my ends and try to retain length but there are ladies here who never wear protective styles and still grow and retain length. They are probably taking some other precautions, though, as well. But I've been able to wear my hair in buns for weeks on end (I'm in the military and have no choice when I'm on active duty) and not experienced brakage at my hairline or thinning hair line because of it. I think the key there is to not pull your hair back too tightly lest the tension could and probably would cause damage. I'm also careful about which kinds of bands I use to secure my buns and I'm considering finding some of those good day pins or whatever they're called and try to secure my hair that way as well.

Right now, I'm doing no heat but when I was starting to cut back, I would do one or the other. I would either blow it dry or I would air dry so that I could flat iron. Maybe you could try that?

Yes, the "z" shape is referring to your new growth or natural hair texture/curl or wave pattern.

My question is, if you are wanting to grow your hair, why are you getting it cut every six weeks? Are your ends damaged when you go for your relaxers or are you trying to maintain your style? That would probably be the first change I would make and maybe switch to light dustings. I don't think very many hairdressers know how to lightly dust hair so you may have to do it yourself or get someone you trust to do it for you.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. I'd be interested to see what some of the other ladies have to add.:D

Again, welcome aboard!

brownsugarflyygirl

I just wanted to say welcome! Dont be offended/discouraged if you dont get a lot of responses to your SPECIFIC hair issue/dilemna....by reading the posts both current and old you will get your answers....

ENJOY...and try not to get addicted :grin:

crlsweetie912

I think satin scrunchies are an excellent way to do buns without stress on the hairline. I do this and my trick is to switch up the position of the bun, high, side, other side, low middle. So that you even out the areas that get stress and aren't constantly putting stress on one particular area. WELCOME!

tenderheaded

Welcome to the family:D I'm 4a/4b relaxed. Your hair does NOT have to be cut after every relaxer. I self relax, coat the ends with Profectiv Break free and I don't have split ends, AND they are soft!!!

I agree with the bun advise. Try a french twist for variety. I also have a big barrett that I use to put my hair into a pony and pin it under. It looks very chic with little tendrils on the side!

Keep asking questions and you'll get all the answers you need:)

Ms_Twana

Kimberly, I was getting my hair clipped every six weeks because my stylist said that's what I needed for my hair to be healthy. I learned otherwise when I started reading these discussion boards. So thanks ladies.

Thank you to everyone that responded and welcomed me to the family. I look forward to learning a lot more.

dreysonsmommy2011

Welcome to the board Ms_Twana! I think that you have a scissor happy stylist on your hands. Getting it cut every 6 wks. is way too much. Okay, there is 52 weeks in a year. So in a years time you have had your hair cut 8 times. And if you have been going to the same SHS for 4 yrs. That means that she has cut your hair a total of 32 times:eek: No wonder you haven't seen a change in length. Sorry for being too technical, It just baffled me that your hair stylist would do that:perplexed Also to answer your question. I think it would be fine to use heat just as long as you do so in moderation.

Mestiza

to LHCF, Ms_Twana! :wave:

crlsweetie912 said:
I think satin scrunchies are an excellent way to do buns without stress on the hairline. I do this and my trick is to switch up the position of the bun, high, side, other side, low middle. So that you even out the areas that get stress and aren't constantly putting stress on one particular area. WELCOME!
ITA! :yep: