New Member Looking for Advice, Suggestions, and Inspiration.

Hi all. I joined LHCF in May 2008, but have only now really jumped on here to look for tips. My hair is relaxed, and has been for the last 10 years. My hair is relatively thin, and tends to be dry, so I try to moisturize as much as possible and I stretch out my relaxers. I usually relax every 4 months and have found this helpful in thickening my hair. I have few general questions.

How you determine your hair type, and does your natural hair type matter if you are wearing your hair relaxed? I have attached a picture of my hair in a bun, 17 weeks post relaxer. I relaxed my hair a few days after the shot was taken. Can you tell my hair type from that shot?
HairInBun.jpg

How do you dry your hair straight without using heat? I wash my hair once a week, and am always tempted to use heat to straighten, but I think it is causing more breakage than I'd like.

What products do you all recommend? The current products I use are below. I think I use good products, but I am not as good at determining when my hair needs more moisture or more protein.

Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion - Daily
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Cream -Weekly
Organic Roots Stimulator Tea Tree Oil Hair Grease - As needed
S-Curl No Drip Activator Moisturizer
Elasta QP Mango Butter - use on ends during roller sets, and wrap sets
Hot 6 Oil - use sometimes to seal in moisturizer
Mizani Shyne Sheen Spray
Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade
BioSilk Silk Therapy Syrum - Use when flat ironing

Creme of Nature Moisturizing Detangling Shampoo
Creme of Nature Clarifying Shampoo
BioSilk Silk Therapy Conditioner
KereCare Humecto Creme Conditioner
KeraCare Leave-In Conditioner
Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment
Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer
Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor

Designer Touch Relaxer, and Neutralizing Shampoo - I relax my own hair.

Any general advice, or suggestions would be great. Thank you.

msa

Hey!

I just wanted to say welcome. My hair is not relaxed nor do I use commercial products so I can't help you out. I'm sure others will chime in.

Happy Hair Growing!

naijamerican

I'm sorry; I'm also natural and cannot help. I just wanted to welcome you to this forum, and I sincerely hope you will get the help you need. Good luck! :rosebud:

BTW: Your hair looks very pretty and shiny in your picture. I like your bun! :yep: I re-read your post and thought some more, but I realized that I really do not know what suggestions to provide since I don't have experience with those products. Sorry again!

Last edited:

Ladyhenri

Hi there...I'm sure you'll really love it on here!!
Welcome.

This being said, your products look fine to me so i wont suggest you change anything. I will suggest however, that you don't rush into a perfect regimen....It takes time to get to that...it also takes a lot of trial and error. If a product doesn't work, you may want to switch but you dont have to if your products are good for your hair.

I cant help with your hair type...hopefully some other ladies will chime in to answer that one. Personally, i dont bother about that cos my hair is relaxed. Its nice to know your hair type, but not necessary IMO.

For THIN relaxed hair, i think Lye relaxers are best. There is a VEry Clear difference in thickness between my lye and no lye relaxed hair. Stretching plus lye relaxers are helping my hair thicken a lot! That being said, some no lye ladies (eg Sylver2) have stunning, long and full hair and are using no lye.

On drying my hair straight without theat, thats a distant dream to me:grin:

I think you'll find that this hair care thing is very individual. After PJing like crazy and jumping on every bandwagon, I've realised that my hair is the best advisor of what it wants.
When it feels itchy (every week like clockwork:grin:), it needs washing; feels crunchy, it needs moisture; feels weak, needs a DC; scalp tight, needs some cream or oil on scalp; feels dry, needs to be moisturised, etc.

Good luck!

BrittanyH26

Welcome! I can't help you as I am new also, but I will say that since you are relaxed, why don't you try putting in a roller set and sitting under the dryer? That will give you a semi-straight look and if you want it straighter, you can blow out your roots. I think the thing is to take as much care as possible to your ends.

Welcome to the forum!