New Member Question

matuncks

Hello Everyone!

I have been a member for a few weeks now and have learned alot from the forum, to the point where I have to log in just about everyday to get my "LHCF fix" as I call it. I did not need to post anything up to this point because all of my prior questions were answered. But now, I have a few that I need advice on.

My hair is 4a/b, fine and breaks very easily, especially in the back. It is ear length now, previously cut in a bob. I spent alot of money during the last 6 months with a stylist, and doing the daily hot comb thing. Prior to January, I wore a sew in weave for atleast 3 years. I would go straight from getting a salon relaxer to a sew in. Needless to say, I never retained any length. I no longer want to go to a stylist for anything.

I am now 6 weeks post relaxer. I have adopted the daily CO-wash and I shampoo 2 x week. I now deep condition 2 x week, and have stopped doing the protein treatment every 2 weeks, this makes my hair hard and break. Using Sylver's method of drying, I tie my hair after applying leave-in moisturizers and EVOO, and sit under the hair dryer for 15 minutes. The air dry puffs up my hair, then I have to comb it, too much manipulation. Then I go to bed, with my hair still a bit damp. Is this a good idea? I wear my hair in a protective style daily. I no longer use the flat iron. My new growth is much more softer now.

The crown and sides of my hair is much healthier than the back, where the most breakage occurs. Fortunately, this area grows the fastest too. My dilemma is that there is a small area about 2 inches in diameter in the back where all of the fine hair has broken off, leaving about 1 inch of new growth, maybe a little more. However, the right/left sides are ok. This usually occurs when there is new growth and I am due for a relaxer. My hair begins to break and shed even more than it usually does. I want to stretch my relaxer for another 4 weeks atleast, but I am afraid that this patch is going to spread, even though I have been moisturizing like crazy! I have split ends also, but I am not sure which area it is coming from.

My question is, should I cut all of the back off, down to the new growth in the back only now, or should I wait until my next relaxer? I can definitely stretch the crown and sides for several more weeks, can I relax the back only to reduce the breakage then relax it again in about 6 weeks or so when I do my entire head? One final question, I don't want my hair to be bone straight. This has always been done, and now I know this is one of the main reason for all this damage in the back. Instead of leaving the relaxer in for 15-20 minutes, can I leave it in for about 10 minutes without the fear of being underprocessed? I've seen several posts where this is categorized as a texturizer, and I want to reduce the damage that a relaxer can cause, but I want the curls loosened. I can't deal with my hair in a natrual state, I've done that before.

Please help!

My Products:
NTM shampoo and moisturizer
Nexxus Keraphix and deep conditioning moisturizer
Biolage tonic
Paul Mitchell's serum
Skala shampoo and milk conditioner
MTG shampoo and conditioner. I use this for co-washes and when I use the MTG once a week.
EVOO and Surge's lotion #9.

I think that's it. Sorry this is so long.

hopeful

I don't have much to say accept that I would suggest cutting the back, then give it a break from relaxers for a little while (maybe at least 3 months) Then when you relax it, try leaving it on for only 5 minutes on that area. That section of my hair is prone to breakage too so I feel your pain. That section of your hair needs extreme care, extra moisture, extra conditioning, no heat and very little manipulation. Really watch how the damaged hair responds to your products. I really kind of have a separate regimen for the back section (bottom 2 to 3 inches) of my hair. It needs way more conditioning, moisture and oil than the rest of my hair. Good luck and welcome!

Nenah

No Comment Welcome

I'm sure someone will be in here to offer you loads of advice

matuncks

Thanks for welcoming me and answering my questions. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Apparently the site was down lastnight, and when it finally came up, I locked my self out and could only read the responses.

Hopeful, I will take your advice and cut the back and wait 3 months before texturizing the back, making sure to add more moisture there. Thanks.

Guyaneek

I don't have a comment either but I am sure some of the experts here will come through for you just as they have everyone else :)
Just wanted to tell you welcome also and good luck :cool:
Happy growing!

sylver2

matuncks said:
Hello Everyone!

I have been a member for a few weeks now and have learned alot from the forum, to the point where I have to log in just about everyday to get my "LHCF fix" as I call it. I did not need to post anything up to this point because all of my prior questions were answered. But now, I have a few that I need advice on.

My hair is 4a/b, fine and breaks very easily, especially in the back. It is ear length now, previously cut in a bob. I spent alot of money during the last 6 months with a stylist, and doing the daily hot comb thing. Prior to January, I wore a sew in weave for atleast 3 years. I would go straight from getting a salon relaxer to a sew in. Needless to say, I never retained any length. I no longer want to go to a stylist for anything.

I am now 6 weeks post relaxer. I have adopted the daily CO-wash and I shampoo 2 x week. I now deep condition 2 x week, and have stopped doing the protein treatment every 2 weeks, this makes my hair hard and break. Using Sylver's method of drying, I tie my hair after applying leave-in moisturizers and EVOO, and sit under the hair dryer for 15 minutes. The air dry puffs up my hair, then I have to comb it, too much manipulation. Then I go to bed, with my hair still a bit damp. Is this a good idea? I wear my hair in a protective style daily. I no longer use the flat iron. My new growth is much more softer now.

The crown and sides of my hair is much healthier than the back, where the most breakage occurs. Fortunately, this area grows the fastest too. My dilemma is that there is a small area about 2 inches in diameter in the back where all of the fine hair has broken off, leaving about 1 inch of new growth, maybe a little more. However, the right/left sides are ok. This usually occurs when there is new growth and I am due for a relaxer. My hair begins to break and shed even more than it usually does. I want to stretch my relaxer for another 4 weeks atleast, but I am afraid that this patch is going to spread, even though I have been moisturizing like crazy! I have split ends also, but I am not sure which area it is coming from.

My question is, should I cut all of the back off, down to the new growth in the back only now, or should I wait until my next relaxer? I can definitely stretch the crown and sides for several more weeks, can I relax the back only to reduce the breakage then relax it again in about 6 weeks or so when I do my entire head? One final question, I don't want my hair to be bone straight. This has always been done, and now I know this is one of the main reason for all this damage in the back. Instead of leaving the relaxer in for 15-20 minutes, can I leave it in for about 10 minutes without the fear of being underprocessed? I've seen several posts where this is categorized as a texturizer, and I want to reduce the damage that a relaxer can cause, but I want the curls loosened. I can't deal with my hair in a natrual state, I've done that before.

Please help!

My Products:
NTM shampoo and moisturizer
Nexxus Keraphix and deep conditioning moisturizer
Biolage tonic
Paul Mitchell's serum
Skala shampoo and milk conditioner
MTG shampoo and conditioner. I use this for co-washes and when I use the MTG once a week.
EVOO and Surge's lotion #9.

I think that's it. Sorry this is so long.
Hello, welcome:)
First are you saying that you were hot combing while you had a relaxer?eek:.
If so, so glad you are not doing that anymore.
It needs to rest from all that hot combing, sewn ins, stylings and relaxers.
You also seem to be using a lot of products. I don't know much about fine textured hair that is breaking. If I were you, I wouldn't relax. I would wait until my hair was healthy enough. You might find that you like it once you stretch long enough and decide to go natural which would be best for your hair if u find the right products and methods while transitioning. Like the other ladies said, there are some experts in this area. Hopefully they will see this and offer you some great advice.

hopeful

matuncks said:
Thanks for welcoming me and answering my questions. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Apparently the site was down lastnight, and when it finally came up, I locked my self out and could only read the responses.

Hopeful, I will take your advice and cut the back and wait 3 months before texturizing the back, making sure to add more moisture there. Thanks.

You're welcome matuncks.

I'm also bumping this for you...hope you get more responses and advice. Good luck!

vickyd

Welcome :newbie:

I think that time and proper treatment/conditioning coupled with the break from daily heat will do wonders for your hair. If you are indeed willing, I might suggest a cut that would give you all over balance and that continue with your program of co-washes. I have learned that keeping it simple is usually the best way. HTH and HHG