New Member &Vitamin Regime Questions?

Janice

Hi everyone. Some of you may know me from the yahoo hair clubs as Naturi2000 and others may not. I recently discovered this board about a couple of weeks ago and decided to join after being a lurker. I must admit I am so addicted already, lol. I like the support and help hair. (pun intended)

Anyhow,I have been reading some of the vitamin regimes here, and quite a few of you take at least nine pills a day. I am just concerenced since I am one of those health fanatics. Is this safe for the stoamch lining? I am looking to incoporate some vitamins into my regime but if I can find it in liquid form, I most certainly will prefer it to a pill form. Besides I read that liquid form is better absorbed by the body.And are these vitamins just going to be taken until you reach your hair goal?

I am looking to take as less pills as possible as I already have diffulculty in swallowing pills.Along with maintaining healthy tresses I am also looking to grow my hair longer.

I feel like my hair is not growing to its potential because of my eating habits, which is not that bad, but not that either.

For now, all I take is Centrum one a day which includes extra B vitamins in it. I was taking VIviscal but it ran out and is getting to be an expensive habit to support,lol.

Things I am looking to incoporate are Biotin and an Essentail Fatty Acid.

Does anyone know the recommended amount of Biotin that one should take a day? I want to start incoporating that into my regime. And also which fatty acid supplement is the best. I did my research and know that Omega 3 and 6 should be taken for hair, which has other benefits as well.

I have an MSM powder that I will soon add to that(about 1000-2000mcg a day).

For my protein, I eat lot of eggs, almost every other day, but was thinking about incorporating an amino acid liquid formula into it or drinking ensure once in a while, but don't want to overdose on protein as it can be damaging to your health.

I would say m eating is okay. Its not the best and not the worst. I don't eat fried foods and nedd to incoprate fruits. I drink lots of water though. I rarely excercise. I am about 5'8 and 120 lbs. (Just thought this might help if you needed to know about my lifestyle/habits)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Armyqt

Welcome to the board Janice
Check out this thread for info on vitamins : Vitamin Info

A few recs for supplements:

Puritan Pride Biotin - 5000mcg
B-Complex
MSM- powdered form (I take Trimedica)

Hope these help a little. Do a search on vitamins and you'll find a wealth of information. Good luck on your hair journey.

ms_kenesha

My new vitamin regimen is in my sig, but I just started last Thurs. Everyone is raving about the Puritan's Pride Biotin so I'd recommend that brand. I have been taking Flax Seed Oil as my EFA for about a month now (inconsistently) 1tbs. per 100 lbs. is the recommendation on the bottle.

Janice

Thnks Armygy and Ms. Kenesha. This have been very helpful.
Is Puritan Pride sold in stores and do I need to take a B-complez since my Centrum already includes higher levels of B vitamins. Thanks.

AMrgyt & Kenesha-I saw both of your albums and must say your hair is gourgeous. Good luck in reaching your goals. Lovely silky hair! Thanks for your advice

Armyqt

Thanks for the compliment Janice. You can get the biotin from this site. They have a special going on right now too
These biotin tabs have been doing wonders for me, hairgrowth wise. Your hair will most certainlybenefit from them

Puritans' Pride

ms_kenesha

Janice,

Thanks for the compliements...I'm gonna be grinning from ear to ear all day now!
I see Armyqt already gave you the website for Puritan's Pride. Another good thing about them is if you feel uncomfortable ordering online you can order on the phone and once you get their products they send you a catalog and then you can order by mail!!!

Janice

awhhhhhhh, ur welcome Ms. Kenesha and thanks again. Ok this might seem like a stupid question, but the Puritan's pride offers 1000mcg of biotin at the most, so does this mean that you take it 4 times a day? I see other brands that offer higher mcg's of it but they are not by Puritan Pride.

ms_kenesha

Not a stupid question...yeah I take 4 a day (2 at a time) and I take the MSM (500mg) 3xs a day and only one Pantothenic Acid a day.

Janice

Thans Ms. Kenesha. Ok that certanly helped.

Pebbles- Thank you for your welcome. I am not going anywhere no time soon,lol. I love this board.

Jade21

Hi, Janice!

Welcome to Long Hair Care Forum.

What I would recommend you do is to improve your nutrition (overall eating habits), start with some basic vitamins/minerals/supplements and then add/delete at will. I would suggest you look at Puritan's Pride for multivitamins. They have several which are great. I've been taking the Green Source for about 2 years now and have been extremely pleased. I would also suggest a B-complex to you... and the EFAs are wonderful for not only growth, but lustre, shine and strength for your hair.

Unless you have some digestive problem or have a very hard time taking tablets, yoru digestive lining should not be a major concern. Plus, liquid vitamins are fine, but they are not like even powders in the sense of delivery of nutrients over a period of time. I don't take supplements for hair only and can tell you that even powders mixed with liquid have not been a great experience for me. My energy levels are never the same.

With your question about the biotin, I think the RDA is like 200mcg. Realize that RDA (recommended daily allowance) is nothing more than a bare minimum to avoid diseases, it's truly the floor. Generally, the analysis with vitamins is fat-solulble or water-soluble. With the fat-soluble, you want to know the maximum for toxicity purposes and then find the amount which is most suited to you. With water-soluble ones, its what's the best timing, format and use for you given your entire being to maximize results. And, results requires initial and subsequent purposes.

With your protein, you should strive for 60-80grams per day.Usually, that's not hard. And, that is not taking into account whether you exercise or work out a lot. A lot of people get way more than that daily.

With the EFAs, also be sure that you get some source of Omega 9. It's sorely forgotten, but does wonders for the overall condition of your hair and body.

For your diet, I woud say that vegetables are more important than fruits and don't forget some seeds, too. Your hair likes a selection of foods on a daily basis over a long-period of time. Strive to eat very well 80-90% of the time.

Cheers,

Jade

Janice

Hey Allandra, thanks for welcoming me. It's good to see so many familar faces over from the yahoo clubs.

Janice

Hey Jade, I got your e-mail. Thanks for responding. I do strive to eat three nutritional meals a day now since I have been more prone to sicknesses during the past last year. I used to rarely eat, because I never had an appetite.But I am eating more now and eating things with nutrients, no more junk food since I seem to get more sick now. I am doing fine now by the way.

I don't have a digestive problem but my stomach seems to act if I don't eat every four hours or go to long without eating.

I was looking at Puritan Pride and man they have some cheap prices, lol. I can work with that. I hope the quality of their stuff is good. But I will take your word and give them a try.

Also I was wondering since you suggested a B complex vitamin, do I need to add another one to my regime since the Centrum I am taking already contains higher levels of B-vitamins? I do not want to overdose.(I don't know if B-complexes are water-or fat soluble by the way)

Would you mind telling me your vitamin regime when you were trying to reach your hair goal.NAnd what was your growth rate per month.....then/now? Thanks Jade. I hope its not too much to ask. And if you know of an excellent brand of an EFA vitamin could youplease recommend one to me as well, thanks JAde!

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
Hi, Janice!

I'm currently taking the generic version of Centrum from Family Dollar because it has everything essential for my hair. I also purchased Flax Oil capsules from GNC 500mg. I take my multivitamin along with 2 flax oil capsules every morning before meals. Next time I'll purchase some Biotin, Evening Primrose Oil capsules, and MSM 1000mg caplets. You may also try Headstrong Vitamins for the hair from goldmedalhair.com.

Hope you have a nice day, Janice. And once again, welcome on in.

sweetcocoa

I just wanted to say welcome! I don't have a real big vitamin regime...just Centrum Liquid. I'm looking to start MSM powder this weekend though.
I do take evening primrose oil and flaxseed oil, but that is mostly for dry skin and hair.

LondonDiva

Hey Janice for a great qualityt liquid vitamin & mineral supplement check this site out

http://www.lifelinefoods.com/

I'd say the VM100 is best for a good base of vitamins & minerals. I chose this after extensive research and comparisons between other liquid multis. I don't order it anymore due to the expense, but I may try it again soon.

Janice

THANK YOU lONDON DIVA, bABYCURLS AND SWEET COCOA. I AM TAKING EVERYTHING INTO CONSIDERATION. SO FAR I KNOW THAT PP BIOTIN(100OMCG) IS ON MY LIST AND MY MSM (THAT I ALL READY HAVE), WITH MY MULTIVITAMIN WHICH IS CENTRUM)

I JUST NEED A GREAT EFA AND STILL NEED MORE HELP WITH A B COMPLEX. THANKS FOR ALL THE WELCOME AGAIN AND WITH THE ADVICE. IT IS REALLY APPRECIATED.

P.S. I AM NOT SHOUTING BY THE WAY WHEN USING CAPS.

Janice

OH BY THE WAY U WAS DOING A SEARCH ENGINE AND CAME UP UPON BARGELLO'S VITAMIN REGIME WHICH GAVE ME HELP AS FAR AS THE NUBERS. AGAIN THANK YOU ALL. THIS BOARD IS SOEXTREMELY HELPFUL.

MY THANKUL DANCE, LOL!!!