*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

grow

Hi Ladies!

Please tell us what you know has worked well for you concerning anything with the relaxing/texlaxing process.

For example:

What have you tried that you KNOW works:

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:

Please include examples of things you believe in.

Please include specific techniques.

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why.

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future.

Thank you for sharing!:yep:
(please feel free to copy and paste the form for easy reference)

HHJ Ladies!

miss stress

ohh the next time I relax, in abt 8 weeks, I want to put the relaxer in an applicator bottle and apply it that way to avoid any overlap.

I also want to try the half and half method so I can let it process longer because I have 30 oz of mizani butter blends left that I want to use but last time it left me severly under processed.

Cant wait to c what everyone else says

grow

i only texlax my nape and edges 2 minutes before taking the relaxer out.
i KNOW basing my scalp with coconut oil the entire week prior to texlaxing helped!
putting oil in the perm left my hair in much better condition post perm.

i will never again relax my hair bone straight.
no more basing my scalp with mineral oil/petroleum products.
never again will i put the perm on my nape first.

the midperm protein step, although i've only tried it once, i think it's good.
keeping the protein treatments prior, during and post perm consistent, although i know it's difficult to balance because too much can cause breakage.
LOVE the "prevent breakage tool" i learned here about covering the previously processed hair! (i used a mix of pc, neut poo, and dc)

on lhcf, i read about a technique where the hair is sectioned, then placed in duck clips, then the perm is applied with a toothbrush. i loved it and pre-parting & clipping my "to be permed" sections into the clips really cut down on application time, as did the toothbrush!

ORS Replenishing Pak as a midstep protein treatment.

Vitale Revive Positive Conditioner as my pc..i think it's for all the natural herbs it contains because i had incredible slip after using it...i could actually feel a difference.

Aphogee's Keratin&Green Tea Restructurizer worked well as a protein during the 7 days post perm.

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future.

i've read alot about relaxing in halves, but am not ready to try it yet.....seems like one side would get over processed.
next time i'd also like to try putting conditioner and some type of protein in my perm.
i'm also determined to try doing a protein treatment 7 days prior to perming.

Americka

Great thread, Grow!! :grin:

• relaxing my nape and hairline last
  • allowing the neutralizer to process for 10 to 15 minutes prior to rinsing out AND continued rinsing several times to make sure the relaxer is out

• ORS No-lye - leaves me underprocessed even WITHOUT adding oil
  • Creme of Nature No-lye - same effect as the ORS

• doing a protein treatment prior to rinsing out neutralizer
  • basing the scalp
  • protecting the already relaxed hair
  • relaxing the hairline last and for a lesser amount of time
  • protein treatments the week prior and the week after a relaxer

• relaxing my hair in four sections
  • using a Sprush to relax

• Africa's Best Relaxer (no-lye) - gets my hair to the straightness I desire
  • Palmer's Deep Conditioning Protein Pack - great light protein treatment

• relaxing my front edges and a couple of inches towards the crown every other relaxer - prefer texlaxing them each relaxer
  • putting the relaxer in an applicator bottle - didn't work for me :nono:

Last edited:

grow

ohh the next time I relax, in abt 8 weeks, I want to put the relaxer in an applicator bottle and apply it that way to avoid any overlap.

I also want to try the half and half method so I can let it process longer because I have 30 oz of mizani butter blends left that I want to use but last time it left me severly under processed.

Cant wait to c what everyone else says

now THAT's a new one! i've never heard of "the relaxer in the applicator bottle! technique! :rolleyes:

thanks Miss Stress!

Minty

Woo boy, you ladies are detailed. Will report back later-i'm on my phone now.

Subbing

*CherryPie*

The applicator bottle and relaxing the nape and edges LAST is just what I needed. I'm gonna try these. Thanks ladies!!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
What Have You Tried that You Know Works:

1) Stretching
2) Clarifying and Protein Treatment One Week Leading up to The Big Day
3) The Mid-Protein Treatment post relaxing prior to neutralizing

What will you never do again because you know doesn't work:
n/a*may think of something later

Please include examples of things you believe in:

1) Doing that Protein Treatment a week before
2) Applying something to protect previously relaxed ends
3) Basing the Scalp the day before and the day of the Relaxer
4) Having everything you need at Arms Reach before you start. i.e. Timer, Towels, Combs, Neutralizing Shampoo, Mid-Protein etc....everything should be "Hands On"

Please include Specific Techniques, Products you liked and if possible why

1) Basing really well
2) Using the Sprush to apply Relaxer
3) The Mid-Protein Step
4) Allowing the Neutralizing Shampoo to Sit before Rinsing. Repeating the Process
5) Relaxing Crown, Nape and Edges Last

*A few basic Products*

1) Summit Sensitive Scalp Base
2) A Good Reconstructor i.e. Joico K-Pak, Nexxus Keraphix, Sebastian Penetraitt, Tigi Dumb Blonde, Roux Mendex *for my Mid-Protein Step*
3) Alter Ego Garlic DC, Lamaur Bone Marrow to DC with Afterwards to rebuild hair
4) Porosity Control Product to Restrict and Seal Cuticle and Restore Hair to Proper PH Balance afterwards

New Techinques:

1) Always open to trying new things to enhance my current process:yep:

SvelteVelvet

Subscribing!...I plan to become a self-relaxer for good after this stretch and it'll be my first time doing so with lye. I'm taking in all the tips and info I can get.

fluffylocks

I used to like

1. Basing scalp and hairline, and adding conditoner to relaxed hair the night before, and again before relaxing ( I liked Roux porosity controll, and a regular oil or a grease)

2. Sectioning the hair, and using a brush to apply (applicatior bottle sounds better)

3. Smoothing while waiting, and making sure I got all of the undersides- (made my hair straighter) then the edges/nape

4. Rinsing good, and sometimes a protien treatment (aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor)

5. Neutrilzing rinsing a time or two, letting it sit for 5 min, then one more time

6. Sometimes Frenches Stabilizer Plus for 1-5 min, or Roux Porosity controll for 15 min or more

7. Sometimes Aphogees Hard Protien treatment (stings though)

8. Always a deepconditoner and oil treatment, also liked doing clear rinses at this time- for 45 min
---------
If I didnt use Aphogee hard protien treatment, I liked Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor when airdrying, blowdrying, or using a dome dryer, gave good body.

Also always all the gloves, towels, and timer

Would also write all my steps down and check them off and have all my products sitting in line in the order to be used. :spinning:

MonPetite

Some tricks/tips I blundered into via trial and error:

I always did a final rinse with a 50/50 mix of water and AVC before letting my neutralizing poo sit for about 15 minutes. Works like a charm and I didn't have to do multiple neutralizing 'poos. Just one...and done (after rinsing out the actual relaxer and doing a 5 min DC).

I also used a shower cap when neutralizing to encourage it to neutralize down in my scalp/follicles as well as massaging it into the scalp, before sudsing it up through the length of my hair.

I learned non-penetrative oils (things other than olive, coconut, avocado) dilute a relxer much more efficiently and are cheaper (generally).

Nothing kept my bone-laxed ends protected from "run off" like cheap, mineral oil based pressing "creme".

Roux Porosity control WORKS. I used it during (on previously relaxed hair under a mineral oil or petroleum based product) and after (after my post-relaxer DC).

**Currently natural, long time texlaxed and bone-laxed head

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Great thread grow! *subscribing* Here's my :twocents:

• Proctecting the ends with some kind of oil/grease as well as something low pH like porosity control, and some protein condish.
  • The mid protein step - I love Alfaparf rigen, great mild protein and the pH is 3.5 so it starts the nreutralization process.
  • Putting relaxer on my nape and edges 1 minute before rinsing
  • Relaxing my baby fine temples every other relaxer.
  • Applying relaxer as quickly as possible to pre-separated sections and then smooth constantly with fingers until its time to rinse.

• No-lye relaxers. I have very hard water so this a BIG NO NO for me.

• The mid-relaxer protein step. Medium/heavy protein week before and the week after relaxer..

• The applicator bottle idea but it didn't work for me, the relaxer seemed to thick to come out the nozzle even when I cut it to make it bigger. Is there a special kind of applicator bottle to use :confused:

taz007

1. Relaxing in sections
  2. Covering the previously relaxed hair with Vaseline, neutralizing shampoo, and Joico chelating shampoo
  3. Using a ceramide after rinsing/before neutralizing
  4. Applying garlic oil and aloe vera gel to my scalp and DuoTex protein to my hair and sleeping it over night

Using an applicator bottle. Maybe it was the one that I used, but the relaxer would not come out! I had to end up cutting the bottle down the middle.

I pre-part my hair to make application faster.

I use Phyto II relaxer mixed with Biolage Hydratherapie, SAA and Walnut oil. This makes my hair VERY strong!

I will try the Redken Extreme Deep Fuel as a mid step with my next touch up.

Americka

1. Relaxing in sections
  2. Covering the previously relaxed hair with Vaseline, neutralizing shampoo, and Joico chelating shampoo
  3. Using a ceramide after rinsing/before neutralizing
  4. Applying garlic oil and aloe vera gel to my scalp and DuoTex protein to my hair and sleeping it over night

Do you believe using a ceramide rather than protein is better as a mid-step prior to neutralizing?

taz007

Do you believe using a ceramide rather than protein is better as a mid-step prior to neutralizing?

I think so. I have been using the Mizani PerpHecting cream (ceramides) as a mid step for my last two touch ups with beautiful results.

I think this will work 'cause I use a no-lye relaxer which already has protein in it and is prone to dryness.

grow

Great thread, Grow!! :grin:

• relaxing my nape and hairline last
  • allowing the neutralizer to process for 10 to 15 minutes prior to rinsing out AND continued rinsing several times to make sure the relaxer is out

• ORS No-lye - leaves me underprocessed even WITHOUT adding oil

• doing a protein treatment prior to rinsing out neutralizer which one (s) do you use?
  • basing the scalp
  • protecting the already relaxed hair
  • relaxing the hairline last and for a lesser amount of time
  • protein treatments the week prior and the week after a relaxer have you ever tried Dudley's DRC 28 for these step?

• relaxing my hair in four sections
  • using a Sprush to relax sorry, but what's a Sprush?

• Africa's Best Relaxer (no-lye) - gets my hair to the straightness I desire
  • Palmer's Deep Conditioning Protein Pack - great light protein treatment

• relaxing my front edges and a couple of inches towards the crown every other relaxer how do you deal with the different textures, (especially the ones close to the face) while the delicate crown and hairline are waiting for the 2nd. relaxer for their touch-up? i would love to try this (Lawd knows i need to, but can't imagine how to do it?)
  • putting the relaxer in an applicator bottle

sounds like you've got a great perming process program going for you, Americka! THANK YOU for sharing your pearls of wisdom!:yep:

Reecie

Grow,

This is a great idea! Subbing.

I will try the Redken Extreme Deep Fuel as a mid step with my next touch up.

Taz, you know I'm copying you girlie! That is an amazing suggestion. I really want to try Deep Fuel, that is probably the most efficient way to incorporate it into your regimen. I never would have thought of that.

Americka

sounds like you've got a great perming process program going for you, Americka! THANK YOU for sharing your pearls of wisdom!:yep:

Protein treatment - I use Palmer's Deep Conditioning Protein Pack. This is also what I use for the week prior to relaxing and the week after relaxing except I add an egg, honey, saa, panthenol, and grapeseed oil. No I have never used Dudley's.

Sprush - used to apply and smooth the relaxer. Works very, very well.

Relaxing front edges later - My front edges and about two or three inches towards the crown are of a different texture. It is also thinner than the rest of my hair, particularly my temples. I have follicular damage there caused by wearing glasses for over 30 years. Some hair has filled in (which I am extremely grateful for)! I was abusive to this area for years - overlapping, relaxing root to tip, relaxing just this area every couple of weeks - you name it and I did it! So I've decided to try this area every other relaxer (2x a year maybe).

taz007

^^ Americka, do you take the relaxer out of the jar in order to use the Sprush since it is so wide? How do you use the Sprush?

Americka

^^ Americka, do you take the relaxer out of the jar in order to use the Sprush since it is so wide? How do you use the Sprush?

No, I dip my Sprush directly into the jar. I only use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the sprush. It probably takes about 2 to 3 "dips" to apply the relaxer to each section w/in the section. Does that make sense? :blush: I try to be consistent with the amount of relaxer on the Sprush to prevent overlap. What about you?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
A Couple more Great Tips for the New Self-Relaxers:grin:

1) A Color Coded/Alarm Neutralizing Shampoo
2) Following up a Week Post Relaxer with a Good Light/Med Protein Treatment

gissellr78

Great post OP!

What have you tried that you KNOW works: Well I use a reconstructor after i rinse out my relaxer and before neutralizing and it leaves my hair stronger. Also, applying an oil to the previously relaxed hair to prevent damage.
I tried Mizani butter blends sensitive scalp (no lye) and i absolutely loved it. I am going to try and buy the complete set for my next touch up.

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work: Well stretching too long does not work for ME and for my lifestyle. I do my hair once a week and i was trying to stay away from heat and stretch at the same time....LORD the tangles!!! were horrible.

I believe in Protein, wrapping your hair at night, weekly deep conditioning, limiting heat ( I use it once a week at most), use a gentle shampoo and patience.

Aggie

Just an update, I am newly texlaxed - about an inch of my hair is anyway :grin:. Before, I had texlaxed my hair with oils and SAA added to my relaxer to break it down; but for my next relaxer, I will only be adding some silk amino acid to it but removing it off my hair at half the recommended time. This way I will still achieve texlaxed hair:yep:.

Aggie

Sprush - used to apply and smooth the relaxer. Works very, very well.

QUOTE]

Hmmm, I think I need to look for this sprush thingy. I have never seen it here in the Bahamas. Where did you purchase it from Americka? Where can I find it online - cheaply of course:grin:?