*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

sunnieb

sunnieb u never answered my question about the twists.. at what point do u take them out and is it a pain? Do u take time away from smoothing to untwist? Does it make ur hair tangle?

Sent from my ADR6400L using ADR6400L

The twists stayed in tact until I rinsed out the relaxer in the shower. They weren't a pain at all. I parted my hair in such small sections that it wasn't necessary to undo the twists. I just lifted each twist and applied the relaxer.

Since I generously applied hot six oil to my hair before twisting, my hair remained tangle-free.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Just wanted to point out to u that our one inch of newgrowth is not straight on its natural state. So it might not extend down a whole inch. Instead the one inch of newgrowth might cover 1/2 an inch or less of area because of shrinkage.... And then once straightened its gonna look like the whole inch that it is....So u dont wanna overlap so be careful with the sprush. If u check out shamboosie's book his picture is pretty accurate on how much he spreads the relaxer during the process. It stays only to the newgrowth. I like use that as a guide because I too go 8 weeks.

That's a very good point!!!!!!!!!!! How could I not have thought of that....what a close call!!!

blackberry815

The twists stayed in tact until I rinsed out the relaxer in the shower. They weren't a pain at all. I parted my hair in such small sections that it wasn't necessary to undo the twists. I just lifted each twist and applied the relaxer.

Since I generously applied hot six oil to my hair before twisting, my hair remained tangle-free.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

Thanks!

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
PRE-PARTING IS THE BOMB

The back of my head is incredibaly dense and when its time to part I always burn quickly.

WELL after reading this thread I decided to pre-section and pre-part and it worked wonderfully.

I parted and twisted just the back last night. I applied my protector to the sections this morning and I tell you I applied that relaxer application went so quickly and smoothly I was SHOCKED. What normally takes me a total of 20 min to smooth+part ONLY TOOK ME 10 MIN TOTAL. I WAS SO GOT DANG HAPPY.

I applied snag free rubber bands I purchased from SAllys and they were super easy to remove. I put some in tighter and some in looser to see which way would work better. I think next time I am going to put them all in a bit tighter because the ones I did not put in tightly came off easily in my sleep. As I rinsed they slid right off easily some with my assistance and some with the assistance of the force of the water.

When it came time to put the relaxer on I started from the crown to the bottom all I had to do was pick up the twist and push it towards the front and it stayed because there was enough relaxer to hold it.

My arms did not get tired like they normally do as well.

I think next time I am going to pre-part the front as well since the back went so smoothly.

The protector I used for my previously relaxed hair was Affirm protecto mixed with Perfect results scalp base. I like this mixture because I feel the affirm protecto is a bit to thin to me to really protect the hair from relaxer getting on by accident.

I tried using plain vaseline but I felt it was too thick and made my hair difficult to part through before and I suffered some breakage from it in the past. Even though I pre-section now I still probably wont use vaseline because I feel the relaxer gets stuck and makes it harder to rinse and neutralize the hair

I did not untwist to smooth because my sections were the size I needed to smooth enough. They came untwisted as I rinsed and shampooed.

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
The sprush I use is the gold one and I cut off a bit of the tip becase its so flimsy and could make relaxer get everywhere.

As purchased it measures 3/4 inch after cutting it measures 1/2 inch which is perfect for applying the relaxer.

Once smoothing happens it pushes the relaxer down the complete 1 1/2 inches that I have of NG.

It can be difficult to apply the relaxer to the NG and not overlap but with this sprush it does not happen.

The front is easier to smooth so I dont worry about overlapping.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Love the detail Myjourney2009..I was thinking of trimming my sprush too. I think I will. Maybe next time I'll pre part as well. I do when I'm flat ironing so I imagine I could use the same technique.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Love the detail Myjourney2009..I was thinking of trimming my sprush too. I think I will. Maybe next time I'll pre part as well. I do when I'm flat ironing so I imagine I could use the same technique.

Girl it works so well the trimming and the parting.

come back next time and tell us how it went.

I am so pleased with this relaxer application. I just cleaned out my hair catcher and there is such a small amount of hair in the there. I think pre-parting the front will help me have even less.

Its going to be a week of so before I will know how well the smoothing went because I use a lye relaxer and my hair always snaps back a bit after the 1st or 2nd wash.

hothair

I say both^^^ if you haven't applied properly you may have missed sections so you won't have enough/any product to smooth in that area which may leave it under/unprocessed.

blackberry815

I should rephrase... I mean is it the longer u leave the relaxer in or the more u smooth the relaxer that matters more for straight results. Can the hair get just as straight if u only kept it in 13 minutes and smoothed like crazy vs leaving it in 25 minutes.

Minty

blackberry815 your question is relative. both are equally important.

You have to be very quick, clean, and as precise as possible with your application so you don't have to reapply while smoothing. It happens and its to be expected, but you should alot yourself more time to smooth, if you desire straight hair. It is the smoothing that gives you not only straight hair, but evenly/uniformly straight hair throughout.

camilla

What have you tried that you KNOW works:

"i only texlax my nape and edges 2 minutes before taking the relaxer out.
i KNOW basing my scalp with coconut oil the entire week prior to rexlaxing helped!
putting oil in the perm left my hair in much better condition post perm."

I cosign on this

Hard protein two weeks before
do a light protein after I rinse relaxer BUT before I neutralize and deep moisture mixed with porosity control after I neutralize
never relax before 14 weeks, i need enough new growth so i will not overlap

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:

"i will never again relax my hair bone straight".
co sign
never again will i put the perm on my nape first.
co sign

Please include examples of things you believe in.
If you use a no lye relaxer YOU MUST use a chelating/neutralizing shampoo to remove the calcium build up after relaxing i use ors creamy aloe

sisterslick if you are relaxed her info is like the holy grail
the midperm protein step
keeping the protein treatments prior, during and post perm consistent, although i know LOVE the "prevent breakage tool" i learned here about covering the previously processed hair! (i used a mix of pc, neut poo, and dc) co sign

Please include specific techniques.
I use heat every other to every three weeks when i am not in protective styles i try to set wet wrap or twist out as much as i can
I use ceremides http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=523807
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2745257/ceramides_remedy_for_dry_damaged_hair.html

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future.

nothing that I can think

Last edited:

morehairplease

Ladies using the half & half method could you please share with me what you are using to hold the unrelaxed hair in place while you relax the other half?

Thanks in advance for your response

blackberry815

blackberry815 your question is relative. both are equally important.

You have to be very quick, clean, and as precise as possible with your application so you don't have to reapply while smoothing. It happens and its to be expected, but you should alot yourself more time to smooth, if you desire straight hair. It is the smoothing that gives you not only straight hair, but evenly/uniformly straight hair throughout.
thanks ladies... those are some good tips

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
are any of you ladies using super strength relaxers?

blackberry815

I use a Mizani Butter blends LYE in super/course for the back of my head because it is super dense. would you believe I still dont get bone straight hair.

For the front of my head I use the same relaxer AND I add a capful of neutral protein filler to 3/4 cup of relaxer. I think the next time I am going to add a T of the protein to the relaxer because I want more texture for the front. I see some wave left but I want more.

My technique for the back:

My technique is this for the back:
I apply the relaxer starting from the crown to about an inch from my nape
When I finish applying the relaxer on my left quad I then start smoothing that quadrant (the 2x's each parted section on the topside and underside
I then smooth the right quadrant (the 2x's)
I apply the relaxer to my nape area and I only smooth 1x for each quadrant. I then go back to the right quad and comb through the NG ONLY and then do the same for the left quad
I rinse as soon as I am done combing through the NG

My technique for the front:
I apply the relaxer from right to left
I start smoothing my left side as soon as I am doing applying the relaxer
I only smooth 1x
I smooth my edges first. I know this is frowned upon by many but it works for me. I tried smoothing last before and it was a disaster.

It looks bone straight as soon as I am done but once I shampoo a week later I see the texture.

Last edited:

blackberry815

@blackberry815

I use a Mizani Butter blends LYE in super/course for the back of my head because it is super dense. would you believe I still dont get bone straight hair.

For the front of my head I use the same relaxer AND I add a capful of neutral protein filler to 3/4 cup of relaxer. I think the next time I am going to add a T of the protein to the relaxer because I want more texture for the front. I see some wave left but I want more.

My technique for the back:

My technique is this for the back:
I apply the relaxer starting from the crown to about an inch from my nape
When I finish applying the relaxer on my left quad I then start smoothing that quadrant (the 2x's each parted section on the topside and underside
I then smooth the right quadrant (the 2x's)
I apply the relaxer to my nape area and I only smooth 1x for each quadrant. I then go back to the right quad and comb through the NG ONLY and then do the same for the left quad
I rinse as soon as I am done combing through the NG

My technique for the front:
I apply the relaxer from right to left
I start smoothing my left side as soon as I am doing applying the relaxer
I only smooth 1x
I smooth my edges first. I know this is frowned upon by many but it works for me. I tried smoothing last before and it was a disaster.

It looks bone straight as soon as I am done but once I shampoo a week later I see the texture.

Thanks! your hair looks so gorgeous in your siggy btw!

thebelleofelle

hey relaxed family, I'm planning to relax Sunday and was wondering if someone could tell me more about the mid-step protein treatment.

I bought some aphogee 2 min treatment to possible add but I'm still skeptical about it.

thanks for you insight & advice

xoxo

sunnieb

hey relaxed family, I'm planning to relax Sunday and was wondering if someone could tell me more about the mid-step protein treatment.

I bought some aphogee 2 min treatment to possible add but I'm still skeptical about it.

thanks for you insight & advice

xoxo

thebelleofelle - I just self-relaxed today and did the mid-step protein treatment with Motions CPR.

Here's an article Sistaslick wrote about the benefits of doing this:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5663534/benefits_of_the_midrelaxer_protein.html?cat=69

chikachic817

For the mid protein step, is it ok to mix conditioners? I plan on perming my hair next weekend and want to try mixing ORS hair mayonnaise and Aphogee 2 min. Is this ok or will it be too much? Would I have to use a reconstructor as well or can that be done the following week?

blackberry815

For the mid protein step, is it ok to mix conditioners? I plan on perming my hair next weekend and want to try mixing ORS hair mayonnaise and Aphogee 2 min. Is this ok or will it be too much? Would I have to use a reconstructor as well or can that be done the following week?

I would say that its safe... But im not a professional...

Sent from my ADR6400L

blackberry815

If i washed my hair on saturday evening would u ladies say its safe enough to relax wednesday evening? Or should i expect burn central?

Sent from my ADR6400L

KhandiB

I relaxed my hair on Friday night. I used Vitale’s Olive Oil – my new staple relaxer with about a teaspoon of Safflower Oil

I just divide my hair into six sections applied the relaxer and worked it in, (I have come to the conclusion that nothing I do will allow me to relax my hair bone straight, lol)

After Rinsing I did an Aphogee 2m – Neutralized – Clarified – Then did a DC with SE Cholesterol. Added a Leave In , Did a Demi-Perm hair color (didn’t take well, lol) bunned it and went to sleep.

The next day, I Co-Washed with Garnier Fructis 3 minute Undo (THIS IS TO DIE FOR)!!!

Air Dried using Hairlicious’ technique, dried good, but … sigh, my hair acts loco when I flat iron after an air dry.

Nonetheless, I understand that this is worthless without pics, I will post some later .