*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

blackberry815

I relaxed my hair on Friday night. I used Vitale’s Olive Oil – my new staple relaxer with about a teaspoon of Safflower Oil

I just divide my hair into six sections applied the relaxer and worked it in, (I have come to the conclusion that nothing I do will allow me to relax my hair bone straight, lol)

After Rinsing I did an Aphogee 2m – Neutralized – Clarified – Then did a DC with SE Cholesterol. Added a Leave In , Did a Demi-Perm hair color (didn’t take well, lol) bunned it and went to sleep.

The next day, I Co-Washed with Garnier Fructis 3 minute Undo (THIS IS TO DIE FOR)!!!

Air Dried using Hairlicious’ technique, dried good, but … sigh, my hair acts loco when I flat iron after an air dry.

Nonetheless, I understand that this is worthless without pics, I will post some later .

What might help in getting it bone straight (if thats what you want) would be gently combing it through with a fine tooth comb to smooth...

Sent from my ADR6400L

ATLcutey20

What have you tried that you KNOW works:
I love ORS Olive Oil No-Lye Relaxer (normal)

What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:
I will never use JBCO to protect my previously relaxed hair again. It made my hair hard & tangled. I will just use coconut oil or vaseoline.

Please include examples of things you believe in.
I believe in the mid-protein treatment. I use the Aphogee 2min Reconstructor for 5mins after rinsing out the relaxer.

Please include specific techniques.
Hmmm... I really don't do anything out of the ordinary. I follow the box instructions and leave the relaxer on for 18-20mins for my resistant hair. It leaves my hair texlaxed. I don't add anyting to the relaxer itself. I apply the relaxer with my gloved hands and smooth with it also.

Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why.
ORS Olive Oil Relaxer- gives me the texlaxed look without having to change the time applied or adding anything to the relaxer

ORS Hair Mayo- used the week before a relaxer and leaves my hair strong. My hair does not like the hardcore protein treatments & this works just right for me.

Even add new techniques you haven’t tried yet, but are considering trying in the future.
I might consider using the spruce in the future.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
An essential for me when I relaxed was aloe vera juice.

My first time trying lye, I burned my scalp horribly. My entire scalp (literally) was burned and it hurt pretty bad. I'd never been burned like that before. :nono:

And I knew that the next day would be even worse, pain and scabs like crazy... so I went looking for something that would help soothe my poor scalp and found aloe vera juice.

I literally poored it on my head and gently massaged it in, applied my leave-ins, put my hair in a bun and went to sleep.

The next morning? No scabs, no pain, just a little tenderness. I was amazed!

Ladies, definitely keep aloe vera juice in your fridge because it could save your scalp!

Also, Profectiv's Neutralizing Shampoo Mousse is the BEST neutralizing/chelating/clarifying shampoo EVAR! :lol: It will leave your hair soft-- almost as soft as a cowash, I kid you not! :shocked:

sunnieb

If i washed my hair on saturday evening would u ladies say its safe enough to relax wednesday evening? Or should i expect burn central?

blackberry815 do you burn easily? If you do, I would think you wouldn't want to manipulate your scalp too close to your relaxer day. Even with that, your time frame sounds fine to me.

I shampoo/dc 3 days before relaxing, then I cowash the night before to keep my newgrowth loosened for easier application. I've never burned - even pre-LHCF.

blackberry815

blackberry815 do you burn easily? If you do, I would think you wouldn't want to manipulate your scalp too close to your relaxer day. Even with that, your time frame sounds fine to me.

I shampoo/dc 3 days before relaxing, then I cowash the night before to keep my newgrowth loosened for easier application. I've never burned - even pre-LHCF.
I actually dont know if i burn easily...
I burned easily when the hairdresser did it but not when i self relax( which was only once)... I dont know if that makes much sense...

Sent from my ADR6400L

blackberry815

blackberry815 I think that would be ok just be sure to be easy on your scalp. I've co washed 2-3 days before relaxing before and was fine. I believe the old member dlewis would co wash the day or 2 before as part of her ritual without incident.

Thanks do you think it matters that im using lye instead of no lye? Or not even a factor?
Sent from my ADR6400L

Toy

This Last Relaxer process i co washed and deep conditioned on wednesday & relaxed on Saturday..I had no problems.

niqu92

guys i wanted to self relax last weekend,i really did but i got too scared and went to the salon lol.grrrr im hoping to be able to self relax next time, im just so scared of messing up :(

KhandiB

blackberry815 - I dont know , lol, I think I am kind of resigned to it being how it ends up, it still straightens well ...

Did that make any sense?? lol

What might help in getting it bone straight (if thats what you want) would be gently combing it through with a fine tooth comb to smooth...

Sent from my ADR6400L

sunnieb

guys i wanted to self relax last weekend,i really did but i got too scared and went to the salon lol.grrrr im hoping to be able to self relax next time, im just so scared of messing up :(

Take your time and do it when you're ready. I read and researched for over a year before I took the plunge.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

blackberry815

Thanks ladies... I based my scalp last night and im going to relax it today instead since u ladies said even three days would be fine... I may base my scalp again but u dont want to be overkill and i end up underprocessed again.... Hopefully basing the nigjt before will be enough.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Thanks ladies... I based my scalp last night and im going to relax it today instead since u ladies said even three days would be fine... I may base my scalp again but u dont want to be overkill and i end up underprocessed again.... Hopefully basing the nigjt before will be enough.

Sent from my ADR6400L
You can base again if you want but you have to be very particular about getting it on the scalp not the hair....I found basing the night before and just before left me underprocessed in areas where I was hasty. Last time I didn't base at all, next time I will just base the night before with care.

KhandiB

This is how my hair ended up

Still very manageable

blackberry815

You can base again if you want but you have to be very particular about getting it on the scalp not the hair....I found basing the night before and just before left me underprocessed in areas where I was hasty. Last time I didn't base at all, next time I will just base the night before with care.

Did u burn with not basing at all? I got a little on my hair so ive been blotting it with toilet paper in the ladies room at work... I hope that helps me to not underprocess.... Keeping ky fingers crossed

Sent from my ADR6400L

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
blackberry815 actually no I didn't burn...but I'm thinking I'll go back to basing maybe just the night or 2 before when I have time to be very particular. The 'rules' is to base so I'm a little nervous about not doing so on a regular basis:confused:

sunnieb

Truth be told, I don't base my scalp either. :blush: If I do, it's very little. I mainly protect my hairline and ears.

After reading all of the relaxer horror stories on here though, I'm starting to think my scalp is made of cement or something. :perplexed:

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

blackberry815

Ok i am under the dryer... I will say this was a success.. it worked out and I finally did my corrective... The underprocessed areas didnt get bone straight but they've been smoothed out a bit which is good enough for me right now... I have to work on being more relaxed when i relax my hair because my heart is like in my throat during the process...

Sent from my ADR6400L

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Ok i am under the dryer... I will say this was a success.. it worked out and I finally did my corrective... The underprocessed areas didnt get bone straight but they've been smoothed out a bit which is good enough for me right now... I have to work on being more relaxed when i relax my hair because my heart is like in my throat during the process...

Sent from my ADR6400L

I was the same way in the beginning. It took me 4x's before I was fully calm.

blackberry815

Ok that means i have about two more times to get calm... On the bright side i didnt feel any burning sensations... I think basing the night before is a keeper.... I did not base again before i relaxed... Since i relax in sections I only based again for the parts that got wet when i was rinsing the first section out. On a side note i wish i could relax my whole head in one shot... This sections thing takes too long and is very messy at the sink..
Sent from my ADR6400L

blackberry815

Ok heres my relaxer question of the day..... Is it possible to go bone straight with a mild relaxer? Im thinking of using mizanis for fine and color treated hair for my next relaxer bit im relaxed bonestraight.
Sent from my ADR6400rL