*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

NaiyaAi

In that case, I wonder if your relaxer was expired or left sitting too long after being mixed before applying to your hair? I can't imagine what else would cause it not to work.
Now I really wish I still had the box so I could check the expiration date. That would make so much sense since I bought a two-pack kit, so if one was expired, they both would have been. =/ Oh well. Third time's the charm, I hope. Just gotta keep going until I get it right.

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.
When should I apply PC in my relaxing process? I am self relaxing today and forgot to write down when to use it. Please help...

LaidBak

Queenmickie said:
When should I apply PC in my relaxing process? I am self relaxing today and forgot to write down when to use it. Please help...

Personally I use it right after rinsing, then I shampoo twice and use it again for good measure. But that's just me; I'm a neutralizer-aholic.

LaidBak

Decided to go back to self relaxing. Its cheaper and my hair didn't improve by going to a professional exclusively. So, its back to no-lye box relaxers. I used good old Dark and Lovely 10 days ago.

jillybean2012

Hi, I'm new on LHCF and I subscribed mainly to post here because I have a question.

I recently tried self-relaxing for the first time, partly because I am a college student going to school in a different state and I've been getting my relaxers done by the same person since I first got one and I don't trust anyone else with my hair, and partly because even if I did trust anyone else, I can't afford to get them done in a salon.

I've tried self-relaxing twice now, and both times my hair has come out seriously underprocessed. The first time, I thought it was because I may have added too much conditioner to the relaxer, so the second time, I tried it without the conditioner with the same results. It's not even that I'm coming out sort of texlaxed, my hair just basically looks like I never attempted to relax it at all. The directions that came with the relaxer (ORS No-Lye normal strength) said total processing time should take 18 minutes MAX. I left the relaxer on for somewhere between 25 and 30, so I'm really confused as to why my hair isn't processing even a little bit. This is the same exact relaxer that my stylist uses on my hair back home, and this has never happened with her. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can give me.

NaiyaAi
Adding the conditioner has probably diluted some of the strength. Until you get the hang of self relaxing don't add anything to the relaxer.
Are you smoothing? That is really where the relaxing process takes place. That is how you tell if your hair is processed or not. If you are smoothing with a comb or hands it should lay completely flat without any bouncing back when you release it.

If you are attempting to get it bone straight or close to it, you will need to spend the majority of the 18 minutes smoothing the relaxer through the new growth.

blackberry815

Self relaxed last night..I didn't want to bother with the half and half method or preparting because I was feeling lazy...so I just went at it old school style with the four sections.. Took way too long.. Any way lesson learned. I will have to at least prepart. I do know that I want to do my whole head in one shot.. the half and half method is great but I don't wanna be relaxing my hair all day..

The sprush made me overlap quite a bit when applying the relaxer. No damage resulted but I don't want to keep overlapping that much each time I self relax. I just know I need to use something thinner/smaller for the amount of new growth that I have since I am not stretching. I will probably use the small tongue depressors from now on or try the method of cutting the sprush to see what happens..

All in all I have a couple of burns from being too slow and keeping the relaxer in too long. my hair in the back processed straight.. the front is slightly underprocessed but in some areas..but no harm done. I'm still committed to self relaxing so I will get it right by tweaking my process each time I do it.

Last edited:

ScorpioLove

i am thinking of relaxing in 3 weeks. the last time i self relaxed i came out way more underprocessed than i wanted to be and i used a lye relaxer for the first time. i had it on for 18 min and it still came out too underprocessed.

now i dont kno if i want to try another lye relaxer or go back to no lye relaxers especially since i hear you cant overlap the two chemicals and i want to fix the parts that are so underprocessed. i dont trust any one else with my hair and i can probably get my roommate to help since she knows to follow my instructions to a tee when dealing with my hair.

i want to be able to cowash without having a 1 hr detangling session and i want to avoid the knots i keep getting. i just want to be much less texlaxed

what sounds better in this case lye or no lye?

blackberry815

ScorpioLove said:
i am thinking of relaxing in 3 weeks. the last time i self relaxed i came out way more underprocessed than i wanted to be and i used a lye relaxer for the first time. i had it on for 18 min and it still came out too underprocessed.

now i dont kno if i want to try another lye relaxer or go back to no lye relaxers especially since i hear you cant overlap the two chemicals and i want to fix the parts that are so underprocessed. i dont trust any one else with my hair and i can probably get my roommate to help since she knows to follow my instructions to a tee when dealing with my hair.

i want to be able to cowash without having a 1 hr detangling session and i want to avoid the knots i keep getting. i just want to be much less texlaxed

what sounds better in this case lye or no lye?

ScorpioLove how are you smoothing? Also is your hair processing for the full 18 minutes in each section? Also u may not be applyinh enough relaxer.

ScorpioLove

@ScorpioLove how are you smoothing? Also is your hair processing for the full 18 minutes in each section? Also u may not be applyinh enough relaxer.

No it was 18 minutes total time but it was applied in 10 minutes with 8 minutes of smoothing. I smoothed with a comb. I think i put enough relaxer but I'm not sure. How long should I be smoothing? my hair came out to be a blown out type texture when i relaxed it and it is just so easily tangled :nono:

disgtgyal

I'm going to self relax my entire head for the first time, although I have spot treated in the past, I'm still relatively apprehensive. I am currently eight months post and plan to relax using vitale life and body. My questions are: 1. I usually press my roots after I rollerset, but should I forgo that the week I plan to relax so I can visually see all my new growth? 2. When applying the relaxer do I apply to all the new growth or most of it since smoothing will bring the relaxer further down the length of my hair? I've read most of this thread and watched a lot of videos on YouTube, but I find that most who self relax are using no-lye, so it doesn't burn as quickly. Maybe eight months post is too much new growth for a first time self relaxer... thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

baddison

natural for good
I'm going to self relax my entire head for the first time, although I have spot treated in the past, I'm still relatively apprehensive. I am currently eight months post and plan to relax using vitale life and body. My questions are: 1. I usually press my roots after I rollerset, but should I forgo that the week I plan to relax so I can visually see all my new growth? 2. When applying the relaxer do I apply to all the new growth or most of it since smoothing will bring the relaxer further down the length of my hair? I've read most of this thread and watched a lot of videos on YouTube, but I find that most who self relax are using no-lye, so it doesn't burn as quickly. Maybe eight months post is too much new growth for a first time self relaxer... thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Wow....Congrats on eight months post. That's a really long stretch. I usually stretch four months at a time my self. Well, I can only answer your questions based on what I would do if I were in your shoes....So take it with a grain of salt....:grin:

its important that you actually "see" your new growth so that you know where to apply your relaxer. This is the primary reason why most of us stretch anyway....so that when relaxer time comes, we can actually "SEE" the different textured hair. Based on that, I would NOT flat iron, straigten, or press the NG the week of the relaxer.

Secondly, when I relax, I make sure to apply the relaxer to the new growth - all of the new growth! - and ONLY the new growth! The relaxer system I use comes with a product to apply that protects the previously relaxed hair so that relaxer "runoff" does not process it again.

I caution you that 8 months of new growth will be a "BEAST" to get through. You mentioned that this will be your "first time" and that you are a bit "apprehensive". Unless you are experienced enough to apply relaxer to the whole head relatively quickly, I can guarantee that for your first time, you will have some under processed areas with all that new growth. Perhaps you might want to consider relaxing in halves, or thirds. There are a few ladies here (my self included!) who relax their hair in sections.

Good luck, and if you are not sure of anything at all ...DONT DO IT!!!

JazziLady!

How are you ladies relaxing in sections without getting the section not being relaxed wet? I have heard about people who relax the back first and then the front. How can you relax the back, rinse it out and not get the front wet?

baddison

natural for good
How are you ladies relaxing in sections without getting the section not being relaxed wet? I have heard about people who relax the back first and then the front. How can you relax the back, rinse it out and not get the front wet?

I relax in sections: first the front section, then the back section. I make sure to properly and securely protect the section that I'm NOT working on with a plastic shower cap. If it gets wet, I make sure to dry it out with a paper towel or napkin. I will put some shots of my 2010 half-n-half relaxer so you get the idea. I have an extendable shower head with a long hose, so I direct the flow of water only to the section that needs it.

BACK SECTION RELAXING...

Attachments

• IMG00002-20100619-0753.jpg
    IMG00002-20100619-0753.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG00003-20100619-0806.jpg
    IMG00003-20100619-0806.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG00008-20100619-0823.jpg
    IMG00008-20100619-0823.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG00011-20100619-0848.jpg
    IMG00011-20100619-0848.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 132

baddison

natural for good
Here are a few shots of the FRONT SECTION RELAXING...and then the final results...

Relaxing this way means I dont ever underprocess or overprocess. I never get burns. And I don't have to rush when smoothing or applying, because the sections are smaller than doing the entire head all at once. I use an egg timer, and each section gets the same exact amount of time and attention.

Hope this helps!!:yep:

Attachments

• IMG00012-20100619-0904.jpg
    IMG00012-20100619-0904.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG00013-20100619-0932.jpg
    IMG00013-20100619-0932.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG00015-20100619-0949.jpg
    IMG00015-20100619-0949.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 108

disgtgyal

I chickened out and went to the salon, and after seeing just how much new growth I would have had to go through there was no way I could have done that myself; however even the stylist left me with some underprocessed areas, so next time I am definitely doing it myself with the help of my bf.

baddison

natural for good
I chickened out and went to the salon, and after seeing just how much new growth I would have had to go through there was no way I could have done that myself; however even the stylist left me with some underprocessed areas, so next time I am definitely doing it myself with the help of my bf.

I think you made a wise decision. Now all you need to do, is read-up on the forums and get yourself prepared for your next relaxer. Check out some youtube videos too. You will definitely be in a better position to do it yourself next time!!:yep: Good Luck!!:yep:

disgtgyal

baddison said:
I think you made a wise decision. Now all you need to do, is read-up on the forums and get yourself prepared for your next relaxer. Check out some youtube videos too. You will definitely be in a better position to do it yourself next time!!:yep: Good Luck!!:yep:

Thanks. I'm going to have to do a corrective touch up in a few weeks. The last two relaxers I had I noticed my hair was extremely dry afterwards, so I'm wondering should I change relaxers. Also I would like to know what strength I should use because my hair is fine, but course. When the relaxer is left on for the max time my hair is limp but still underprocessed, so I don't know what strength I should be using mild, or super

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.
:hiya:Hi everybody!

I relaxed on Saturday after an 11-week stretch. I did a few things different this time around.

I did not base my scalp with EVOO the night before or the day of, and I did not add oil or conditioner to the relaxer. I have been doing those three things for the past year since I discovered LHCF, but my hair was consistently under processed. Adding oils and conditioner gave me more time to apply the relaxer but, my texture and results were not at all consistent.

I did apply PC, WGO and hempseed to the length of my hair to prevent run off damage.

This time my hair was a little straighter than I like but, I think it will fluff up after the first wash.

See before and after root pix below. I air dried in braids, but even in this heat after four hours my hair was still damp. It didn't come out so great so I don't have full head pix.:ohwell:

Here are before and after pix of my roots:

mschristine

I'm a newbie that is self relaxing tomorrow after work. I'll be using Optimum Care salon Collection no lye relaxer (regular). I'm stopping by Sally's today to buy a relaxer brush because I've been using my fingers for the past year and I'm tired of doing that.