*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
How do you determine which sprush to use?

I initially ordered the gold one but they sent me the gold and the green and I believe that they had suggested that the green one is better for a relaxer. I actually use the green one but I did cut off about 1/2 an inch for extra control and to prevent me from overlapping as much.

ARE YOU CONSIDERING SELF RELAXING? :grin:
divachyk

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Thanks and yes Nix08. I've done it many times before with box relaxers back in the day. However, my application was all wrong. I have no clue how I still have hair. I just want to make sure technique is on point this time.

Babygrowth

How do you determine which sprush to use?

I went off of reviews. I bought the short green one but my stretches were so long that it doesn't get all the hair I need it to. So Im going to get the aqua one so it will cover more hair in less strokes. Its trial and error.

mshoneyfly

I didnt even know this thread existed!! I have been self relaxing my own fine, 4b low density hair for well over 20 years :blush: of course it only grew past full SL once or twice in all that time. I had no clue about healthy hair practices.

Now I put it into small sections ahead of time, base my scalp, cover the hair shaft with protein conditioner, rinse after 18 mins every time and stretch for 12-14 weeks. I also do the mid-step protein and do my edges and nape last.

Im finally seeing retention along with my other HHJ practices.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Reactions: JFK

Lurkee

I realised what I did wrong this time around. I forgot to base. I'm so burned it's not funny.

camilla

Hi ladies I just posted a relaxed hair journey video if your interested
Don't laugh the the throw back picts and my weight changed more than my hairstyles:lachen::lachen:

I self install weaves and show how to sew down lace wigs or glue safely (I don't really glue anymore it's to messy) but helpful for anyone suffering from alopecia. or going through chemo I also have a protective style series PLEASE let me know what you think

My new lighting just arrived so I will film a relaxer update this weekend

http://youtu.be/xhoYac0fr6w

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

i have SO do the 2 sections in the back and me the 2 sections in the front and each relaxer i alternate starting from left or right and applying to edges last after applying through the sections but before smoothing . i admit i don't base my scalp, but it never burns

greenandchic

I admit, I do not base my scalp either, just my edges, neck and ears but it doesn't burn me.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Y'all are brave. I have to base or I will have burns, tears and scans for days. My scalp has always been sensitive so I try to use extra base when I prepare my relaxer.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Did my touch up Friday night. .and don't bother with basing my scalp either.

sunnieb would you believe that I have never actually done your method of pre parting my entire head with twists (I normally do small sections). ... well let me tell you how sorry I am to have allowed my laziness to get in the way! My hair was so thick I didn't know what to do with it and all I could do was pre part. Consequently it was the fastest application of relaxer:yep: plus I didn't get relaxer on any of the ends of my hair which I find is a increasing problem as my hair gets longer.

This method is definitely a keeper.

koolkittychick

I waited as long as I could, but I made it to 23 weeks out of a planned 26-week stretch. Went to Sally's and got the stuff I needed to try self-relaxing one more time. I bought the Silk Elements with Shea Butter lye relaxer and neutralizing shampoo, plus all the other things I needed to go through the process. long story short, I burned the HELL out of one section of my hair, even though I thoroughly based my entire scalp. I just can't move fast enough to get the relaxer all over my head and smooth before the timer went off, and so the relaxer ended utp sitting on one section for about 10 to 15 minutes over the max time limit, and my scalp ended up severely burned. I am SHOCKED I didn't lose a lot of hair during the process (I usually lose more during detanging), but my scalp is in sorry shape. It will need a lot of TLC during this next stretch (only 3 months this time) in oder for these burns to heal.

On the plus side, I seemed to have retained a lot of new growth. I think I might be brushing WL, which would definitely put me at full WL by the end of the year, assuming this relaxer doesn't cause a setback for me.

Will post a pic after I do another wash and conditioning treatment. I will be doing triage on my hair for a while

rawsilk

Vitale Revitalizer (semi hard protein) after rinsing out relaxer and before applying neutralizing shampoo was the best tip that I received.

Love Hawaiian Silky Mild -- but I'm 3(b)ish and very lightly tex-laxed so if you want bone straight, I dunno. It left my hair with a lot more life and didn't burn my sensitive scalp.

Roller Set -- okay, so I AM a roller-head but even if you prefer to blow-dry or air-dry, I think that it is best to set right after a relaxer. I remember a stylist telling me this years ago and never forgot it -- something to do with the indirect heat and getting the hair cuticle to lie back down after it's been disturbed by the relaxer. (Don't forget to follow drying with a blast of cold air -- again, for smoothing cuticle and make hair shine.)

Vitale and Profective Foam Neutralizing Shampoos -- in that order will get all of the relaxer out without stripping hair. I have tried all of the others and find this combo is most effective for cleansing without stripping -- hard to accomplish but very necessary.

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I just relaxed after 25 weeks. 25 is not normal for me, but I'm pregnant and just haven't been up to relaxing my hair. I thought about letting someone else do it, but I really just don't trust anyone but me with my hair. :look:

I always flat iron a week or two before I plan to relax. This helps with manageability, then by the time it's time to relax, hair has reverted enough so that I can detect new growth. I think I went 3 weeks since the flat iron, because I so didn't feel like relaxing my hair.

I used Silk Elements regular lye. It's really hard to overprocess with this, especially since I base my scalp. I use the Elucence moisture barrier to base. Some of it gets on my new growth too, so it's kind of a buffer that keeps me from overprocessing.

I no longer apply small amounts of relaxer. I use more, because using a little doesn't straighten much. I use a sprush (purple). I used to go back through and smooth with the yellow sprush, but this time I just smoothed with my fingers (gloves on of course). I was able to do it faster with similar results that way.

greenandchic

I just relaxed after 25 weeks. 25 is not normal for me, but I'm pregnant and just haven't been up to relaxing my hair. I thought about letting someone else do it, but I really just don't trust anyone but me with my hair. :look:

I always flat iron a week or two before I plan to relax. This helps with manageability, then by the time it's time to relax, hair has reverted enough so that I can detect new growth. I think I went 3 weeks since the flat iron, because I so didn't feel like relaxing my hair.

I used Silk Elements regular lye. It's really hard to overprocess with this, especially since I base my scalp. I use the Elucence moisture barrier to base. Some of it gets on my new growth too, so it's kind of a buffer that keeps me from overprocessing.

I no longer apply small amounts of relaxer. I use more, because using a little doesn't straighten much. I use a sprush (purple). I used to go back through and smooth with the yellow sprush, but this time I just smoothed with my fingers (gloves on of course). I was able to do it faster with similar results that way.

Where did you purchase the Elucence Moisture Barrier? I would like to get that and the Sprush from one store. :lol:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Where did you purchase the Elucence Moisture Barrier? I would like to get that and the Sprush from one store. :lol:

I got the Elucence Moisture Barrier from www.pleasantimage.com
I really like the bottle, because it has the pointy spout which makes it really easy to base my scalp. If you could find something with the same consistency (like a heavy oil) as the Elucence product and buy a spout bottle from Sally's, you'd be good too. I don't remember where I bought my sprush. It was online though. If you google, you'll get lots of sites where you can purchase them.

ronie

I just relaxed after 25 weeks. 25 is not normal for me, but I'm pregnant and just haven't been up to relaxing my hair. I thought about letting someone else do it, but I really just don't trust anyone but me with my hair. :look: I always flat iron a week or two before I plan to relax. This helps with manageability, then by the time it's time to relax, hair has reverted enough so that I can detect new growth. I think I went 3 weeks since the flat iron, because I so didn't feel like relaxing my hair. I used Silk Elements regular lye. It's really hard to overprocess with this, especially since I base my scalp. I use the Elucence moisture barrier to base. Some of it gets on my new growth too, so it's kind of a buffer that keeps me from overprocessing. I no longer apply small amounts of relaxer. I use more, because using a little doesn't straighten much. I use a sprush (purple). I used to go back through and smooth with the yellow sprush, but this time I just smoothed with my fingers (gloves on of course). I was able to do it faster with similar results that way.

Congratulations on being pregnant Supergirl. Wishing you a healthy pregnancy, and a quick and pain free (as pain free as possible,lol) delivery.

lamaria211

Congratulations!!!! Enjoy your pregnancy

Pennefeather

What a good thread. I didn't know that this existed. I read the last ten pages, since I am preparing to do my first uself relaxer in over fifteen years. The one time that I did self relax using Optimum no lye, you couldn't even tell that anything had been done - that's how underprocessed I was!

This time, I'm going to use affirm lye relaxer, since that is what I've been using in the salons for the last ten years. This is the first relaxer that didn't cause my scalp to weep. I don't know where I can get it other than Amazon. It looks like I will need to buy everything separate.

For those of you that use Roux porosity, can you give me some reasons why you are using it? I'm still not understanding where this product fits in.

Also, is the protein midstep before the neutralizing shampoo rather than after? I remember reading that someone uses the Aphogee two minute for ten minutes, rinses, and does it again. If you do a hard protein the week before a relaxer, is the midstep still necessary?

And finally, is there an advantage to using the Eulance Moisture to base, rather than Vaseline?

mshoneyfly

What a good thread. I didn't know that this existed. I read the last ten pages, since I am preparing to do my first uself relaxer in over fifteen years. The one time that I did self relax using Optimum no lye, you couldn't even tell that anything had been done - that's how underprocessed I was! This time, I'm going to use affirm lye relaxer, since that is what I've been using in the salons for the last ten years. This is the first relaxer that didn't cause my scalp to weep. I don't know where I can get it other than Amazon. It looks like I will need to buy everything separate. For those of you that use Roux porosity, can you give me some reasons why you are using it? I'm still not understanding where this product fits in. Also, is the protein midstep before the neutralizing shampoo rather than after? I remember reading that someone uses the Aphogee two minute for ten minutes, rinses, and does it again. If you do a hard protein the week before a relaxer, is the midstep still necessary? And finally, is there an advantage to using the Eulance Moisture to base, rather than Vaseline?

Pennefeather
Never tried Roux but the mid step is done just before neutralizing. Yes, I still do the mid step even if I do a hard protein the week before but this last time, I didn't get around to the hard protein one week before so I covered my mid shaft and ends with oil and protein DC after basing my scalp with this ORS basing product. I cant find it now but I know it has aloe vera added to the petrolatum. Vaseline works just as well, IMO.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

levette

My husband has agreed to help me self relax in the next few months for the first time.... I will browse this thread for suggestions ... I want to be responsible for my own relaxers and hair trims

Pennefeather

I ordered my relaxer and neutralizing shampoo from Amazon yesterday. I'm planning on clarifying and using Aphogee 2 step this weekend. Relaxer is the following week.

Still checking for more tips!

Pennefeather

Saludable84,

Thanks for asking. That was very sweet of you. I think that I have everything that I need. I'm just preparing for the big day. I haven't self relaxed in twenty years.