*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

mmariecrys

20151111_183207.jpg 20151111_184829-1.jpg
A day off=A day to RELAX!!

(trying to learn how to upload photos properly--bear w/me)

Hello, lovelies. Longtime lurker chiming in, but I learned so much from you all over the years and bravely self-relaxed today, and wanted to chime in to support any other newbies.

I was 15 weeks post with 3 in. of new growth and used the following steps/products:
  1. base hairline
  2. protect strands: Vitale Revitalize Positive Conditioner
  3. Relax ng: Vitale Life and Body. 28 min. application and smoothing
  4. Mid-step: Hi Pro Pac and Vitale Revitalize Positive Conditioner
  5. Shampoo:Vitale Neutralizing
  6. DC: Shea Moisture Manuka Conditioner
  7. Finishing Conditioner: Mizani Thermasmooth
  8. Detangle: Infusium 23 Moisturizing Leave-In w/ added SAA
  9. Blow-dry creme: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla
  10. Seal: Avocado Oil
  11. Finisher: One 'n Only Argan Oil Treatment
I was more than pleased with the results. No burns, above-texlax straightening, heavy/dense strands. And I can see the 3 in. of ng now in my length, which my stylist had always insisted in cutting off.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Just finished pre-parting my hair and reading this thread as a refresher.

Can't wait to relax here in a few! :)

sunnieb

Just finished pre-parting and taking a break before I relax.

As much as I hate how much time it takes, pre-parting is a must for me.

My newgrowth is so packed and dense, I can't imagine trying to part and apply the relaxer. :spinning:

klsjackson

I self relaxed and trimmed yesterday. I switched from no lye relaxer to Lye because I was experiencing too much dryness. I used PCJ salon formula and Affirm 5n1 as my protein. I neutralized with Avlon Affirm Dry and Itchy Scalp shampoo. I then colored with Clairol Radiance shampooed again with KeraCare hydrating detangling shampoo and conditioned with Humecto for 10 mins. I used Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin and Chi Silk Infusion as my leave ins and rollerset with Lottabody. Hair was shiny and bouncy!

BlackHairDiva

UPDATE
** Please note that I'm a slow self-relaxer, I have to do 1 section at a time.

1) Part the hair in 4 sections and make sure that there are no tangles.
2) Using a SPRUSH is vital for me. It helps with smoothing and I rarely have a bad touch up.

3) See what you do at all time.I use the Self-cut mirror, to see everything that I do. I'm also a rookie when it comes to roller setting and I use the mirror to see my roller sets.

4) Use a sink hose instead of the detachable shower head. You have more control when you rinse out the relaxer.

5) I also learned that I need to apply the relaxer first in each small section( In my quarter part) then worry about smoothing.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I relaxed today. That patch in the back of my hair is gonna drive me crazy. It's air dried and it still feels different then the rest of my hair. I think where I messed up this time, was that I only worked it through with the application brush and didn't really comb it. I combed the other part when I relaxed it, that's why it's softer. I'm thinking about shaving it off and trying again. I can always grow it back.

Evolving78

UPDATE
** Please note that I'm a slow self-relaxer, I have to do 1 section at a time.

1) Part the hair in 4 sections and make sure that there are no tangles.
2) Using a SPRUSH is vital for me. It helps with smoothing and I rarely have a bad touch up.

3) See what you do at all time.I use the Self-cut mirror, to see everything that I do. I'm also a rookie when it comes to roller setting and I use the mirror to see my roller sets.

4) Use a sink hose instead of the detachable shower head. You have more control when you rinse out the relaxer.

5) I also learned that I need to apply the relaxer first in each small section( In my quarter part) then worry about smoothing.
Thanks!

Rozlewis

Just finished relaxing and wanted to share some info:

What have you tried that you KNOW works:
  1. Texlax edges and nape the last 5 minutes.
  2. Do not exceed the recommended amount of time for your particular relaxer. For me its 15 mins.
  3. Protecting the length of hair with old school castor oil. Saturate ends in castor oil th night before relaxing.
  4. Using all steps in the relaxer system from the same brand. For example, I use Affirm Fireguard and all the steps in the system.
  5. Using French Perm Stabilizer after rinsing out the neutralizing shampoo.
What will you never do again because you know it DOES NOT work:
  1. Twisting or pre-parting hair with rubber bands does not work for me. This left me with tangled hair. I have not done this in a long time but it still frustrates me when I think about it. I think the problem was my technique but regardless I will never do that again.
Please include examples of things you believe in.
  1. The mid-protein step.
  2. Th week before relaxing doing a medium to heavy protein treatment and flat ironing to make it easier to worth with hair.
Please include specific techniques.
  1. Using a sprush to part each section and apply relaxer.
  2. Using fingers to smooth relaxer.
Also, feel free to share which products you liked, and if possible, why.
  1. Using the entire Affirm Fireguard system which includes the 5-in-1 Reconstructor as my mid-protein step.
  2. French Perm Stabilizer.

sunnieb

Another reason I love being a self relaxer......

I can procrastinate!!! :lol:

I mixed the relaxer a while ago, but got caught up in these Hallmark Christmas movies. I'm still relaxing tonight though! :up:

sunnieb

Wow! The post above was right before I lost my hair. Interesting.

Well here I am 10 months later and setting up for a comeback. :)

I'm dc'ing right now after another successful self relaxer and thought about this thread.

A couple of things:

* I want my hair to process for a total of 15 minutes. I set my timer for 13 minutes. I use 2 minutes to allow time for me to get into the shower and get the water temp right.

*My hair is short, but I still kinda pre-part to make relaxer application easier. I have enough newgrowth so I can make a part and my hair just stays there.

That's all for now! :)

Can someone let me know if this is a good process?

Three days before shampoo, protein treat and deep condition.

Night before , finger detangle, pre part into sections, base scalp and apply oil to already relaxed ends.

After applying relaxer, rinse and before neutralizing, protein treat. Thoroughly neutralize, aphogee two step, deep condition, then usual after wash steps.

Two days later, henna and indigo, deep condition, then usual after wash steps.

Is there anything I should do or not do before, during or after? How and where would I add an ACV rinse? Is there a difference in steps with lye vs. no lye? Since my hair is short and I don’t have much relaxed ends to lose I’m going to try self relaxing in two weeks.

Wenbev

Can someone let me know if this is a good process?

Three days before shampoo, protein treat and deep condition.

Night before , finger detangle, pre part into sections, base scalp and apply oil to already relaxed ends.

After applying relaxer, rinse and before neutralizing, protein treat. Thoroughly neutralize, aphogee two step, deep condition, then usual after wash steps.

Two days later, henna and indigo, deep condition, then usual after wash steps.

Is there anything I should do or not do before, during or after? How and where would I add an ACV rinse? Is there a difference in steps with lye vs. no lye? Since my hair is short and I don’t have much relaxed ends to lose I’m going to try self relaxing in two weeks.
I do my ACV rinse after rinsing out the relaxer, then the 2 min keratin then neutralize. I also prefer to relax on straight hair bc it’s easier to see the demarcation and I relax on what would have been a normal wash day.
The ACV should be 1:2 with water

I do my ACV rinse after rinsing out the relaxer, then the 2 min keratin then neutralize. I also prefer to relax on straight hair bc it’s easier to see the demarcation and I relax on what would have been a normal wash day.
The ACV should be 1:2 with water

Thanks, that was very helpful!

VimiJn

Let the truth set you free!
Another successful relaxer! :)

I'm thinking I'll have to go back to using 2 tubs of relaxer pretty soon. I had enough this time, but I can tell it's not going to cut it for much longer.

My hair is coming back!!!! :toocool:
2 tubs?!?
Wow. I never even finish one tub. I use a little over half but I mix up one full tub anyway because I would hate to need more in the middle of my relaxing process.

sunnieb

2 tubs?!?
Wow. I never even finish one tub. I use a little over half but I mix up one full tub anyway because I would hate to need more in the middle of my relaxing process.

I wish I could stick to 1 tub - and save money. My newgrowth won't let it happen. As my hair gets longer, my newgrowth gets more dense and matted. When (If) I decide to relax every 10 weeks, I'll definitely have to mix an extra tub.

sunnieb

Dc'ing now after another successful self relaxer. Here's what I'm learning:

• I'm able to stay with one tub of relaxer for now.
  • Relaxing every 8 weeks is so much better for me! I have dense/matted newgrowth. Stretching did more harm than good in the long run.
  • My hair has grown! I had to pre-part and do twists like I used to with my long hair. Makes relaxing so much easier since I cam just lift a twist and move on.
  • I can relax and smooth in 15 minutes flat.
  • I like leaving a touch of texture on my edges. I smooth them for a a minute or so at the end.
I love relaxing my own hair. I'm so relaxed and not in a hurry. I get to take my time and do my hair right. :yep: