*NEW* SELF RELAXER SUPPORT: WHAT WORKS, WHAT DOESN’T

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
Gonna answer my own question....

I use old school Motions for my neutralizing shampoo.

View attachment 465843
@sunnieb Apologizing upfront for my non-answer. My neutralizing shampoo is packed (I'm relocating) but it's in a blue bottle and I love it. I've been using it for years. It's just the right balance of moisturizing and cleansing for me. Not sure why I can't remember the name of it :confused:. I purchase it at Sally's; the bottle is huge and I've had it for a few years now. Did a google search for it - because I'll know it when I see it - and can't find it; hope it has not been discontinued.

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
@sunnieb Apologizing upfront for my non-answer. My neutralizing shampoo is packed (I'm relocating) but it's in a blue bottle and I love it. I've been using it for years. It's just the right balance of moisturizing and cleansing for me. Not sure why I can't remember the name of it :confused:. I purchase it at Sally's; the bottle is huge and I've had it for a few years now. Did a google search for it - because I'll know it when I see it - and can't find it; hope it has not been discontinued.
Is it iso plus.

lorr1e1

I self relaxed today with Mizani Rhelaxer coarse strength (not butter blend). This so the first time I used a lye relaxer I would normally use Organic Root Stimulator coarse strength relaxer (no lye).

I didn't get through it in 20 mins I left it on about 30mins with smoothing this stuff is super thick so smoothing was harder to part the hair.

I didn't burn at all, I haven't done so with any of my own relaxers for years. I wash the scalp well and oil it well too.

I used the whole mizani line of various products for the service start to finish. I knew that the left back side needed to be processed a little more it's a bit thick here but 90% of my hair that I can see is straight. But I was conscious of over processing or damaging the hair that's why I washed it out at that time.

I would say that it is not bone straight. I am wondering if the tub I used bought last week is an old one as there are no dates on it, I queried it with the seller on ebay asked how long they has it said it should not be a problem and would only expire 12 months after opening. Again I'm not used to lye relaxers this one had no real chemical smell that you get with no lye. It has a very slight odor.

I had asked several questions on this board, other websites and amazon to find out more about this lye relaxer over last 4 weeks to get as much information about this product as possible to know how to deal with it. I'll get the butter blends one next time.

Miapa1

I am having trouble finding Mizani Chelating shampoo. Then I started looking for any chelating shampoo (not clarifying) online. And they are all sold out. Are you guys noticing the same thing?

lorr1e1

I am having trouble finding Mizani Chelating shampoo. Then I started looking for any chelating shampoo (not clarifying) online. And they are all sold out. Are you guys noticing the same thing?
I've not had this experience i have bought them on ebay the Phormula 7 (older) and the Butter Blends Balancing Hair Bath (current), have you asked the retailers concerning why they don't have it and when they will next get it in stock.

Last edited:

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
I remembered the name; triggered by a need to self-relax in a few days. It's Proclaim neutralizing shampoo. After I use up my current bottle, I will have to find something else because Sally's in NOVA (the store where I shop) doesn't carry it anymore.

BonBon88

I remembered the name; triggered by a need to self-relax in a few days. It's Proclaim neutralizing shampoo. After I use up my current bottle, I will have to find something else because Sally's in NOVA (the store where I shop) doesn't carry it anymore.
Proclaim is an excellent brand! I use their Shea butter conditioner as a detangler and/or cream rinse.

lorr1e1

Have you tried ebay or some other online company maybe someone else sells it.

sunnieb

Just relaxed a few days ago and still loving it! I really appreciate being able to do my own relaxers.

Can't remember it I mentioned in this thread that I've gone back to box relaxers. ORS Olive Oil (normal) relaxer kit is doing me just fine. It became too hard to find Design Essentials. Plus, I like being able to go pretty much anywhere and it's in the shelf.

My hair likes it and it gets straight.

yhst-88462588038071_2612_9978555743.png

lorr1e1

Just relaxed a few days ago and still loving it! I really appreciate being able to do my own relaxers.

Can't remember it I mentioned in this thread that I've gone back to box relaxers. ORS Olive Oil (normal) relaxer kit is doing me just fine. It became too hard to find Design Essentials. Plus, I like being able to go pretty much anywhere and it's in the shelf.

My hair likes it and it gets straight.

View attachment 471537
I switched from ors extra strength to Mizani sensitive scalp box relaxer (no lye) thrleres only one strength but did thr job lost fine. the formulation greatly reduces the chemical activator smell once mixed. No burns it was really good. I'm sticking with Mizani from now on.

sunnieb

Just relaxed tonight and still loving my ORS box relaxer!

Tip for box relaxer users: take a moment to cut open all the packets (conditioners, shampoo, etc) before you start.

I didn't do this when i first went to box relaxers because I was used to all my products being in bottles. And surely those little packets are easy to open, right?

Yes, with dry hands!

KhandiB

I relaxed 2 weeks ago. I switched to Mizani Butter Blends, it is amazing. I use Aphogee 3 minute reconstuctor and ORS Aloe Shampoo to neutralize.

Ive been going approx 4 months or longer in between relaxing, but I definitely need my ends clipped. Matter of fact I need a hair cut, I haven't had a clip since before the panoramic. And I wore the heck out of some buns last year I have a little breakage in the middle of my head and at the nape of my neck.

Hope everyone is doing well! <3

lorr1e1

I relaxed 2 weeks ago. I switched to Mizani Butter Blends, it is amazing. I use Aphogee 3 minute reconstuctor and ORS Aloe Shampoo to neutralize.

Ive been going approx 4 months or longer in between relaxing, but I definitely need my ends clipped. Matter of fact I need a hair cut, I haven't had a clip since before the panoramic. And I wore the heck out of some buns last year I have a little breakage in the middle of my head and at the nape of my neck.

Hope everyone is doing well! <3
Yes i like the mizani sensitive scalp (no lye) relaxer it's the best one. I tried their lye version but found they are not strong enough to straighten my 4c coarse hair.

sunnieb

Relaxed last night and loving it!

Don't know why, but I always seem to end up relaxing late in the evening. Guess that's another benefit of relaxing yourself.

BonBon88

I self relax with Phyto II and love it, no point in me trying other relaxers lol. I don’t use their protein reconstructor though - for that step I use either Olaplex (No. 1 & 2) or K18. This relaxing regiment has made my hair hella strong but soft and so smooth at the same time.

As far as drying I usually blowdry on medium - I read somewhere that relaxed hair isn’t ‘designed’ for air drying. When I air dry my hair looks and feels noticeably rougher (cuticles acting up perhaps).

lorr1e1

I self relax with Phyto II and love it, no point in me trying other relaxers lol. I don’t use their protein reconstructor though - for that step I use either Olaplex (No. 1 & 2) or K18. This relaxing regiment has made my hair hella strong but soft and so smooth at the same time.

As far as drying I usually blowdry on medium - I read somewhere that relaxed hair isn’t ‘designed’ for air drying. When I air dry my hair looks and feels noticeably rougher (cuticles acting up perhaps).
I blow dry my relaxed hair on high heat otherwise it will feel like straw, you should use cool setting to finish off to seal cuticles. Air drying makes my hair feel like straw too. I use products that have conditioning oils, creams more then water, as my hair sucks it up.

What is phytorelax like I've never tried it is it an actual chemical and is it permanent

BonBon88

I blow dry my relaxed hair on high heat otherwise it will feel like straw, you should use cool setting to finish off to seal cuticles. Air drying makes my hair feel like straw too. I use products that have conditioning oils, creams more then water, as my hair sucks it up.

What is phytorelax like I've never tried it is it an actual chemical and is it permanent
The Phyto relaxer (I and II) does have chemicals, although the formula is gentle on the hair (according to the company). This relaxer doesn't (imo) totally ruin the integrity of the hair. I have used this relaxer at home for the past year and never had any issues with breakage or thinning like one might expect to find. It's expensive ($60) but well worth it imo. I use half the product to relax new growth, then store the other half in the fridge until it's time to relax again.

Photo relaxer has egg and mushroom (oil? essence? idk), is easy to rinse/wash out, and your hair won't 'stick' to your head once finished. You still have volume and thickness.

I blow-dry on high heat as well, but weekly. I'm trying to perfect my technique so I don't need to flat iron every time I wash my hair, just special occasions.

LushLox

I air dry perfectly and with zero problems. In actual fact the more I air dry the easier it gets. However I do mix things up by using heat now and again. I think the 80/20 air drying v heat styling just works and complements my hair health. Different strokes for different strokes I guess.

sunnieb

I relaxed early today!

Started the process around 1pm with oiling and pre-parting and just took my time the next few hours. Airdrying now and thankful it's not even 8pm yet.