New Smoothing treatment from Sallys

Rain20

Would the hydrochloric acid cause problems down the road? I know it's for ph balancing, but this can be caustic. Anyone know how much is in there. I was thinking of the Rio thread but i cant remember what was in that.

Natural Glow

I think I'm going to do this next week...

This transition is really taking a toll on my appearance. My hair looks exactly like his-->

(And I have the same facial expression)

I've always avoided BKT threads because I heard some peoples hair didn't revert back. But I'm just going to have to throw caution to the wind, because I need a break from this BAD!

*Awaiting results from @Napp and @naturalglow*

Theresamonet :lol::lol: you crazy for that pic. I'm waiting for someone else to try first lol. I might just try one section in a little bit to see how it goes. I don't know about people's hair not reverting. I used the Dream Hair BKT any mine reverted fine.

Oh and I got the wrong kind of shampoo. I got the one that looks like it would go with it but it's not a clarifying poo so I'm not sure if i should just use the regular no sulfate shampoo or a regular clarifying shampoo.

Theresamonet

shiney_sapphire that looks really good! Are you doing your full head or were you only doing a test section?

Have you bkt before? How is this product the same/different than the other bkts you may have used?

TIA!

Theresamonet

@Theresamonet :lol::lol: you crazy for that pic. I'm waiting for someone else to try first lol. I might just try one section in a little bit to see how it goes. I don't know about people's hair not reverting. I used the Dream Hair BKT any mine reverted fine.

Oh and I got the wrong kind of shampoo. I got the one that looks like it would go with it but it's not a clarifying poo so I'm not sure if i should just use the regular no sulfate shampoo or a regular clarifying shampoo.

Natural Glow Yeah, I already have the product, but I'm waiting around to see other people's results as well.:lol:

Does the hair have to be fully detangled after clarifying before you can apply the bkt? Clarifying always tangles my hair right up.

Natural Glow

LOL look at us scaredy cats. I don't know if you have to detangle after the shampoo. The bottle says to dry with medium heat so I'm going to use my comb attachment to blowdry and detangle at the same time.

shiney_sapphire

@shiney_sapphire that looks really good! Are you doing your full head or were you only doing a test section?

Have you bkt before? How is this product the same/different than the other bkts you may have used?

TIA!

Thanks...This is my daughter's hair and she is natural. I bought the kit that had the poo and the treatment. This poo didn't tangle at all. Her hair ws actually pretty easy to detangle. I did the full head and will post all the pics later. It felt like weave track! lol

sydwrites

Are the store brands of this procedure safer than going to the salon? TIA

Yes and no....these are formaldehyde free so if thats what you want then its def safter and they have been tested for wide consumer use so its 'safe' for non-professionals vs the other versions which should be professional only. But generally they use formaldehyde cousins so in that respect its not that much safer. That being said I love BKT and prefer the formaldehyde versions because it does a better job imo on highly textured natural hair. Kinda like a lye vs no lye thing in relaxers to me. I havent tried this particular brand though, just looking at the ingredients.

Theresamonet

he only thing we need to stay away from with the bkt is sodium chloride? What about the other sodiums? There is sodium hydroxide in my favorite conditioner.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
hi everyone i ended up doing the keratin treatment today. the jury is still out on it. when i was done my hair was actually reverting which is something i have not had happen with a keratin treatment so far.my hair didnt straigten like butter like when i used ok keratin. i had to go back and flat iron with some razac in order to get my hair to stay bone straight. i will keep it straight for a while.

so far i feel like it is in between the ok keratin and the nunaat ive tried. its not as strong as the real formaldehyde one but its not as weak as the keratin reconstructor. although with the nunaat my hair didnt revert although it was poofier than usual.but then again it was cooler when i did it as well. it did loosen my curl a bit. 50% though?! i dont know about that but i see a difference. if i leave the hair alone it will curl up but if i was to hold it taut it would straighten very easily and stay streched out. this is just based off of my test section. i will give a better after wash review once i was m hair. its gonna be a while though.

i posted a few pics in my fotki.

Theresamonet

Napp That is dissappointing. I may have to pass on this one. I don't want to subject my hair to such a high heat and the treatment not even work.

I'll be looking into other bkt's. I wish I were thinking of doing this when it was actually popular on the board, so I don't have to read that 100 page bkt support thread. Ah well...

Thanks for the review!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@Napp That is dissappointing. I may have to pass on this one. I don't want to subject my hair to such a high heat and the treatment not even work.

I'll be looking into other bkt's. I wish I were thinking of doing this when it was actually popular on the board, so I don't have to read that 100 page bkt support thread. Ah well...

Thanks for the review!

Theresamonet

well i suppose it depends on what you want to use the bkt for to gauge if it works or not...this is the key to looking at reviews and finding a formula that will work for you.

im bkting to make my natural hair stretch out more easily,loosen my curl and make my straight hair last longer at the roots. i dont bkt for bone straight hair using just the keratin treatment by itself. i cannot achieve that unless i use some type of serum or oil along with it. this has always been the case.

i wouldnt say its a failure at this point since i didnt wash it out yet. usualy after a bkt my hair is poofy and i usually put some product(a thick serum) to calm my hair down and make it flatter.this time the ends were starting to wave up on me:nono: like i said it could be the humidity as well.i dont think i have bkted before in the warmer months.

my hair is just the bomb.com today its just bouncing and blowing in the wind( a little too much for my liking. i look crazy once i get inside:look:)

so far the ok keratin is my favorite. i love it when its in my hair and when i wash it out but i cannot find a small size and i just dont have the cash to drop 170 on one hair product. id rather get a relaxer. although i like this so far so i might stick with it. its much lighter than the ok keratin. i like the ok because it gives my hair weight but as you can see my hair has much more fullness and body with the ion treatment. they both have their pros and cons.

Natural Glow

Well i tried it today. I really didn't like it. I tried a small section in the back and it turned out okay so I decided to do my whole head. Applying it was okay. No fumes or anything. But trying to blow dry it after the 20 mins was HELL. My hair was so stiff I just couldn't do it. It also started irritating my scalp so I just washed it out. Maybe I applied too much, I don't know. Either way I'm gonna see if I can take it back to Sally's.

Dove56

naturalglow, I tried the Organix Brazilian Keratin treatment from CVS and my hair came out well. I will probably go back to QOD because I don't like any curl in my hair. I have pics in my LHCF album.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:

Natural Glow

I might have to try the Organix one out. I don't mind curl being left. I just want something to keep my hair from getting frizzy in the summer when I straighten it.

Sounds like the verdict on this one might be to save your money? I hope you guys don't run into any foolishness on your way back to Sally's to return it.:ohwell:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I havent washed my hair yet and dont plan on doing so in a while.my hair is still very straight.i cant wear it curled like i usually do in my siggy because the curls drop so easily w.the keratin treatment in so i have just been wearing it with a bump at the end or in a ponytail. Ill post a pic later on

my hair is very straight most notably at the roots.i am a scalp sweater and there is not so much as a wave at my roots. my edges do get wet and frizz up(they dont get wet enough to curl up though) so i just brush them down and tie my durag on and they smooth down to my satisfaction. i havent used any product in my hair since i did the treatment and my hair feels great is is behaving beautifully.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

^^ Thanks for the update. Your hair looks great!

I'm still deciding If I want to go ahead and do the Ion treatment--or a bkt at all. I'm very indecisive and now I'm scared again that my natural curl pattern wont revert back.

Here is the promo/instruction video for others interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J31AauvZHCg

shiney_sapphire

Her hair came out really nice. The next test is after I wash it :)

Attachments

• washed.jpg
    washed.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 131
  • blowdried.jpg
    blowdried.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 145

Napp

Ms. Nobody
well i wanted to look cute yesterday and wore my hair out. it was like 94% humidity.it felt like i was walking in the rain or something. i got a ride to where i was going so i looked cute but i needed to take the bus home and then walk. on my walk home my hair went from silky staight into a afro SMH! the roots still stayed straight though LOL i reflat ironed it with some apex pressing oil because i just didnt feel like dealing with my wet hair right now.

shiney_sapphire

Thanks...this in my daughter. Hair type? hhhmmmm never though about it maybe 4a. Well her roots waved a little so far with maybe 3 crinkles. That is with it at week old and a day at the beach. I didn't get too close and my flat iron that used for her roots only get to 385. I used the straightner with the rolling barrel (not with the brush) but another one for the bottom part of her hair and that part was straighter with using it at 400 degrees. Her hair felt really silky and soft. I have never felt her hair this soft before.

Last edited:

leona2025

Ok so I bought this and tried it on a small section of my hair and then took it back the next day. I am relaxed. I have bkted several times with different bkted. I hated this product. I don't use bkt for the straightness only. I love the shine that comes with it. This product left my hair feeling coated and it was very dull. It was very straight, but that is not something I am searching for.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Any updates? After wash pics?

i still havent washed it out.im almost at 3 weeks post treatment. my roots are starting to become textured im guessing that is NG. i dont have high hopes for this treatment in terms of curl loosening :sad: judging from my edges im not really seeing a difference....unfortunately i dont have the luxury to return the product so i will continue using it until i finish.hopefully i will be pleasantly surprised after the wash but i am not hoping on anything.