New to the board and need help.....

blackbarbie

This will be a long post, but please bear with me.....I discovered the board last night and sat up for 4 1/2 straight reading all the positive tips, etc everyone had to share. som much great information! This is my problem/concern....

About 6 years ago ran across a stylist that used to do my hair once in college and it when she did it, it was extremely healthy and all one length. Hardly any breakage and very little shedding. She simply shampooed and conditioned well and wrapped it while it was wet and let dry. Then I got the wrapping down and started doing it myself for many years and it continued to grow. It grew to a length that I couldn't manage and I eventually started going to another stylist that roller set it every week on small rollers and I just pinned it nightly and kept loose curls daily until it was time to go again (following week). I ran across my old stylist again at a party and most of the ladies there had long, beautiful, and healthy hair and they were all her clients! Started going back and after her cutting it chin length (my hair was long but really needed a cut; a lot of uneven ends underneath all the length), we started over in 1999 and over the period of about a year and a half, it grew back to just below my bra strap. At various times over the past 6 years, I have let her cut it to chin length and then would grow it back out, because I knew she was taking good care of it and so was I (went to her weekly) and it would grow back like wildfire......

I recently relocated to another city last year and just before I got here, my hair was about an inch below chin length. My new stylist now is my brother. He cut my hair in layers and later highlighted it. (my hair is a light brown color and i got caramel, gold, etc. highlights). This was my first time ever having any color in my hair. I love the color and get compliments, but I have to say that I have not been happy b/c in the past year my hair has not grown to the length that I know it is capable of growing in a year's time. I get a roller set weekly and I wrap it with a satin scarf nightly. Since getting my color touched up about a 4 weeks ago, I am noticing a little breakage around just the left side (edges) of my head and don't know what it is. The straw that broke the camel's back is when he did re-touched my hair during a hair show he was participating in. He was supposed to be clipping my ends and when I got up to look at the style, he had cut a considerable amount off! He is not scissor happy and has never done this in the entire time that he has been doing my hair. I know my ends weren't that damaged, b/c I wrap daily (very carefully) and get a shampoo/deep conditioner weekly. I know it's just hair and it will grow, but I am too upset. I have decided that I will go back to home maintenance of my hair and just only go to get a retouch from him every 8 weeks (could actually go 10 weeks if I flat ironed it out, but I don't use direct heat on my hair)

Here is where I need help. Back when I used to do my own hair around 5 or 6 years ago, I was in touch with all the right kinds of products, etc. and everything, but then I used to wrap my hair around my head. I like it better when it is roller set, then wrapped nightly, but I have a hard time doing a really good roller set, and by the time I try to detangle after shampooing, I am TIRED!!!

My hair is type 3A and right now on my shoulder blades. I need recommendations for products from shampoo, conditioner, protein treatment, etc. I know everything doesn't work for everyone, but I am practically starting over. This is coming from someone that used to be a hair product junkie and people constantly wanted to know "is that yours?" (hair) I am very knowledgeable about hair care techniques, but just need some recommended products and suggestions for making my roller set more manageable...I don't mind going through the entire process b/c I take the time and dedicate it to my hair. (When I used to do my own hair, I would tell everyone that Thursday night was my "date" night - my "date" with my hair! That's when I did my thing and spent time with me and my hair) .I need specific instructions on color treated hair too, because I would like to try to get some of the elasticity back that the color has stripped and would like to stop some of the shedding. Shedding is not major, but it is more than I am used to from over a year ago when my old stlist used to do it....

I know this is long, but I got a really positive and warm feeling from all the lsisters here as soon as I start reading and couldn't believe that there were women such as myself with long, beautiful hair that didn't mind sharing their secrets! Everyone is so encouraging! I will try to figure out how to post pictures or start an album and thanks to all of you in advance.

Lucia

Welcome :newbie: :wave:
If you want grwoth and health with visible results some tips that worked for many here:
1. Keep your hair moisterized--CW condtioner washes really help with this some do them daily, some 2-3x/week. Scurl or sta soft fro, Infusium 23, mango and shea butters, coconut or monoi (tiare) oils. The oils and butters are to seal in the moisture once you've put your leave in scurl etc... in. No lauryl/laureth sulfate shampoos, shampoo less CW more.

2. once you have your hair moisterized to keep the moisture in you may want to try the baggie method, there full baggie-plastic cap, or bun baggie you can wear a phony pony or just a bun cover.
Baggie challenge post
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=64951
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=64951
3. Trimm (dustings) only when needed, try to do them yourself or get someone you really trust or who does exactly what you tell them to do to help. Don't just get scissor crazy and cut off length. Stay away from scissor crazy stylists a trimm for them starts @ 2 inches they want ends sharp and even, if your not 3 inches passed your goal length or wearing your hair pin-straight daily this will mess you up because most peoples hair grows in sections some sections grow faster then the rest catch up. This means they will be cutting off your progress. this was long but I hope it helps.

Divine Inspiration

I agree with Lucia. Consistency is the key. If you start doing your hair at home and give it the attention it needs, you should be fine. Like she said, stay away from scissor happy stylists, even if they are family members. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to care for your hair the way you will. I don't even trust people in my head anymore after learning how to properly care for it. I would definitely keep it moisturized...you may consider S-Curl or something if you're really trying to get the elasticity quotient back up. Wild Growth hair oil is wonderful for taming new growth and it would probably enable you to stretch your relaxer a little longer. After damage or trauma to the hair, I always think a long stretch is in order. Sylver2 did a 6 month stretch after damage, and it worked wonders on her hair. I haven't had major damage, but I did have a little overprocessing with my last relaxer so I'm doing a mega stretch until December. Other products I would recommend are Giovanni Direct Leave-in (great for roller sets & new growth), jojoba oil (sealing in moisture & oiling scalp), extra virgin olive oil (add to conditioners), a Jilbere de Paris shower comb (any comb with a seam must go & the brushing must be very minimal), a lot of ladies have had success with Neutrogena's Triple Moisture line, Elucence and Mane & Tale are also popular here. Nexxus really worked wonders on my hair this year. I'm extremely pleased with Therappe, Humectress, and Keraphix.
Just go through the threads and try to find someone who's hair is close to yours and begin experimenting. I don't really think there's a shortcut to finding the best products for your hair. It's just trial and error.
All in all, I hope you find everything you need here at LHCF. There a lot of nice ladies who are willing to help you, so good luck & be encouraged!

tryn2growmyhair

Co-signing on much of what people said. Just know that you might have to try different products to know what works for you. Also, look at the regimes of people with your hair type. This is really important. If you have 4b hair, what works for someone with type 2b may not necessarily work for you. For instance, people have said that they like S-Curl, Rusk Smoother leave-in, Salerm 21. Many of those things did not work on my type 4b hair. S-Curl and other activators left my hair sticky and made my scalp itch.

Also, look at the regimens of people with your hair type or close who have achieved a lot and pick and choose from their advice. So many of the women on here have been helpful but I will say that it might help to look up AJamerican Diva's posts and Dontspeakdefeat's newcomer's guide and Adrienne's post.

A conditioner that has really helped me and is basically one of the few staples that I have been able to find and basically the only conditioner that I have tried in the past year that has worked for me is Keracare Humecto.

Other recommendations:
1) Coconut milk for adding to conditioners to tame newgrowth or as a pre-treatment

2) Olive oil. I cant live without this stuff. I use it for pre-treatments and also use it for infusions that I put into my hair.

3) Coconut oil.

4) Monoi Tiare. Nice smelling coconut oil. I cant stand the smell of funky products. This is basically perfume for the hair. Smells good and is good for you.

5) Very Ripe Avocados. One of the salespeople at a dominican beauty supply told me not to both with Dominican avocado conditioner and just buy a ripe avocado, mash it up and use it as a pre-treatment. I whip mine with a oils and a handheld blended.

6) Mayonnaise. Good pre-treatment.

blackbarbie

Thanks ladies for the response. Right after I posted the message, I noticed the sticky with DontSpeakDefeat's post for newbies. I read it thoroughly along with some of the others. I have been addicted to the board since finding it last night!!! I can't stop looking b/c it's just so much information. I agree with you on finding a routine that works for me. I know it's all about consistency and I have been reading through a lot of the posts trying to familiarize myself with different types of products, etc, and still trying to find someone with a similar hair type to use as a spring board.....

Thanks again!!

I will try to post pictures...(kinda difficult taking self portraits of the back of my head all by myself, but I will try to get some good ones and go from there) .(Is there a sticky for doing so?)

Cinnabuns

Hi blackbarbie and welcome to the forum :wave:

What really worked for me was TLC. Before I came to this forum I used to rip all kinds of combs, brushes, fingers, etc. through my hair quickly. I learned that taking my time (and not sceduling shampoos around busy days, hence rushing through it), made my hair grow by retaining length. :)

BBabe

Welcome Barbie! Although, I do not have relaxed hair I would suggest Surge and/or MTG - many members have reported good growth using these products. Beyond that any/all the products Divine suggested should work great. Good luck!
Divine Inspiration said:
I agree with Lucia. Consistency is the key. If you start doing your hair at home and give it the attention it needs, you should be fine. Like she said, stay away from scissor happy stylists, even if they are family members. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to care for your hair the way you will. I don't even trust people in my head anymore after learning how to properly care for it. I would definitely keep it moisturized...you may consider S-Curl or something if you're really trying to get the elasticity quotient back up. Wild Growth hair oil is wonderful for taming new growth and it would probably enable you to stretch your relaxer a little longer. After damage or trauma to the hair, I always think a long stretch is in order. Sylver2 did a 6 month stretch after damage, and it worked wonders on her hair. I haven't had major damage, but I did have a little overprocessing with my last relaxer so I'm doing a mega stretch until December. Other products I would recommend are Giovanni Direct Leave-in (great for roller sets & new growth), jojoba oil (sealing in moisture & oiling scalp), extra virgin olive oil (add to conditioners), a Jilbere de Paris shower comb (any comb with a seam must go & the brushing must be very minimal), a lot of ladies have had success with Neutrogena's Triple Moisture line, Elucence and Mane & Tale are also popular here. Nexxus really worked wonders on my hair this year. I'm extremely pleased with Therappe, Humectress, and Keraphix.
Just go through the threads and try to find someone who's hair is close to yours and begin experimenting. I don't really think there's a shortcut to finding the best products for your hair. It's just trial and error.
All in all, I hope you find everything you need here at LHCF. There a lot of nice ladies who are willing to help you, so good luck & be encouraged!

blackbarbie

GorgeousHair, in the past when I have taken care of my hair with much success, my routine included shampooing my hair weekly with some type of moisturizing shampoo, (Creme of Nature, etc), deep conditioning weekly with some type of cholesterol treatment occasionally and wrapping (doobie wrap) with Dudley's setting lotion. I never used a daily treatment for moisture or anything, or any of the essential oils and leave in conditioners I hear people on the board mention, but I would also use Dudleys gloss (just a drop would do) to give my hair a great shine daily. (not heavy at all) I never had problems with my hair growing and being healthy as it was always down near the middle of my back and all one length, but I would just cut it for a change. I think that now that I have the highlights, the color requires that more steps be added to the routine and to get my hair to start growing back like I want, I will have to give it the TLC myself at home for a minute. I am definitely going to take Divine Inspiration's advice and do a stretch this time around. I think I could do it and be successul, it's just a matter of taking extra special care of the hair during that time. I have type 2A or 3A hair and when it's time for a retouch, the waves come underneath the surface and you would never know it around my edges so I could pull the stretch off. My challenge is that I never had color treated hair and I need to make sure I am doing my due diligence and taking my time with my hair.

I am sure that will all the good advice on the board, I will find the answer to any question that I could possibly think of!

BBabe, can I find Surge and MTG in retail stores such as Target, Walmart, etc. or do I have to go to the BSS to find it

PrettyBrownEyes

BlackBarbie,

I think your old regime sounds great! I've noticed that when you use quality products you don't need to add a lot of stuff on a daily basis either.

I too have highlights and I would recommend you go back to your previous healthy routine you listed but, maybe wash and condition every 4 days, to make sure your hair is getting its necessary protein and moisture to stay healthy, and a clean scalp and hair is always a plus.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I haven't seen Surge 14 at walmart but they do have the mane-n-tail conditioning shampoo & condition, it's also on sale at walgreens buy one at $6.99 and get one free 32oz bottles. Also, there is another MTG you have to order that one from www.shapleys.com I'm still confused about the whole mane and tail thing I'm not sure if they both give the same results or if one shows more growth than the other :confused: , the stretch thing is not bad at all one you find that good conditioning poo to tame the NG, but looks like you shouldn't have that problem with that wave action you have going on :cool: , so HHG.

blackbarbie

PrettyBrownEyes, the thing that perplexes me is that for the past year (since I have had the highlights), I have been going to the salon once a week EVERY week and he uses Essations products and shampoos thoroughly in addition to some form of deep conditioning weekly, and I can't figure why my hair is not growing at the rate I am used to. I got highlights for the first time in June 2004 and just got them redone in July 2005. I know my hair has grown b/c the highlights were growing out and the only thing I can think is that there were too many end being cut off each time I got my touch up (hence the growth being cut out?) I know that b/c my hair didn't have the color it didn't need a WHOLE lot of stuff and now that it does have color, it requires more, but I am just trying to figure HOW much more.

blackbarbie

PrettyBrownEyes, that's what I was thinking too; too much being "trimmed" off....But i will fix that, will even learn how to "trim" my own hair.....

Also, PrettyWideEyes, I didn't realize that MTG was Mane and Tail. When I was younger and didn't have a perm, my mother used it on my hair and it grew like crazy, but then I remember that it would cake up and build up on my hair and it would get hard, etc, so I stopped using it.

I was going to try Sylver2's scarf method and I notice she kept referring to MTG, no I am looking at my notes - she was referring to NTM Silk Touch Serum-all the acronyms...) But I may post to see how everyone uses MTG in their hair care routine, because I may revisit it. (my cousin uses it, but I can't ask her how she incorporates it in her routine because she really has NO routine, she just does whatever and her hair grows, and besides, her goal is not really long hair growth b/c hair doesn't matter to her...)
I am about to go pick up supplies to do my hair this week b/c tomorrow is my hair day and I don't have squat in my cabinets!!