New Year No Buy Challenge-March 2024

CoiledOrchids

16 days into the january no-buy and i've resisted temptation to buy a kindle and a deep conditioner!

I even put an extra $435 in savings this morning just to make sure I don't cave in and buy anything I don't need.

I'm also using up my shower gels since I currently have 4 left and my lotions. I keep a jar of my nivea soft body cream at work since we swim on certain days.
I have 2 jars of shea butter that i mixed with oil to use that up as well.

I have 3 nyx butter glosses that i'm using and I threw out my old foundation that was expired. Other that that, i like a fresh-faced look.

i'm also still decluttering and I have 4 more boxes of books to take to the donation bin and maybe a bag of clothes. I'm getting rid of anything I don't use or need in 2023. Simplicity is best for me in all aspects of my life!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
16 days into the january no-buy and i've resisted temptation to buy a kindle and a deep conditioner!

I even put an extra $435 in savings this morning just to make sure I don't cave in and buy anything I don't need.

I'm also using up my shower gels since I currently have 4 left and my lotions. I keep a jar of my nivea soft body cream at work since we swim on certain days.
I have 2 jars of shea butter that i mixed with oil to use that up as well.

I have 3 nyx butter glosses that i'm using and I threw out my old foundation that was expired. Other that that, i like a fresh-faced look.

i'm also still decluttering and I have 4 more boxes of books to take to the donation bin and maybe a bag of clothes. I'm getting rid of anything I don't use or need in 2023. Simplicity is best for me in all aspects of my life!
Amazing! Decluttering and living a minimalist lifestyle feels so good. I just cleaned my closet and donated a whole wardrobe. Possibly 2. I still have to get rid of more of my unwanted items.

I got a free bottle of mousse today with a coupon. So now I can wear my curly lace wig. It’ll be rainy for the next few days. Curls are perfect for that.

CoiledOrchids

@Prettymetty
thanks! I just moisturized my hair for the night and used up my free sample of Qhemet Biologics heavy cream. I have the bigger jar but i try to use a lighter hand with it since I want it to last for a few months. I buy 1 jar per year on black friday only.

My haircare stash is getting smaller!

I want to have 4-5 staples altogether. I've tried both rosewater and aloe vera juice in the past and I prefer the aloe vera juice. My oyin handmade greg juice is finally almost done and I don't wanna repurchase. This time around I wanna just keep everything as simple as possible. Too many steps in any routine throws me off

yes minimalist living is the truth! I'm making a career switch as well so I want a larger salary to save more and be able to treat myself to a nice vacation or cruise. I'm going to my first concert in march as a late birthday gift to myself so i'm excited for that.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@Prettymetty
thanks! I just moisturized my hair for the night and used up my free sample of Qhemet Biologics heavy cream. I have the bigger jar but i try to use a lighter hand with it since I want it to last for a few months. I buy 1 jar per year on black friday only.

My haircare stash is getting smaller!

I want to have 4-5 staples altogether. I've tried both rosewater and aloe vera juice in the past and I prefer the aloe vera juice. My oyin handmade greg juice is finally almost done and I don't wanna repurchase. This time around I wanna just keep everything as simple as possible. Too many steps in any routine throws me off

yes minimalist living is the truth! I'm making a career switch as well so I want a larger salary to save more and be able to treat myself to a nice vacation or cruise. I'm going to my first concert in march as a late birthday gift to myself so i'm excited for that.
A concert sounds so nice right now. I’ll go to one around March as well. It’s almost Rodeo time. Me and boo thang finna be outside

CoiledOrchids

@Prettymetty
yasssss i'm actually going to a blake shelton concert! he's coming to my city so i'm super excited! that was the only thing I wanted for my birthday. I ended up getting good seats on the floor. It's on the 100.-level so i'll get a good view I just didn't wanna spend up all my money on V.I.P. tickets.

Definitely think a move down south is in order once I get into a career and more savings. I hate the snow and cold weather in general. Also, i'm curious about what life is like down south. I've only ever lived in my home state and I don't wanna be here forever.

ikandi87

Hey yall!
Long time lurker finally joining here! Count me in! My stash is ridiculous! I still have unopened products from BF '21! I will not purchase any hair related products for at least a year. My last purchase was a hooded dryer from Sallys. Im waiting for it to be delivered. With the sale and my rewards I paid $15! I couldn't resist!

I tried to catalog my inventory but I gave up before making it to the leave in conditioners. I have 20 shampoos and 24 deep conditioners just to give you an idea...im actually running out of space.

2022 didnt bring me the health or length that I was looking for. My plan is to work through what I have to see what really works.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Day 18. Still going strong. I may need to do one of these monthly until September. That’s when I’ll be done with student loans and everything. I’ll make a new thread for February or maybe I can just change the title to reflect the current month.

Let’s save our coins ladies!

CoiledOrchids

@Prettymetty
I was just thinking about doing a february no-buy this morning. I've been doing pretty good with my stash. I'm actually about to be down to only 1 deep conditioner. My cowash is halfway done as well but I bought a backup on black friday so I think I might be good on cleansers until may. My oyin greg juice is on its last legs as well so my plan is to put it in a spray bottle and dilute it with water to use it up. Gonna use up the rest of my 32oz bottle of castor oil for my hair and my body creams/butters. That way it won't go to waste.

Thinking about staying in braids throughout 2023(simple cornrows, not anything too time consuming) just to not fuss with my hair.
I put my lotion in a clear soap dispenser bottle I found at family dollar for $2. Its gonna help me use up my lotion quicker. I'll add oils to it as well.

I always buy my clothes on clearance and i'm not a sneakerhead so I think i'm gonna be okay. My crocs are still holding up well.

Also, this no-buy has been pretty eye opening for me. I spend way too much money on hair products and on amazon buying books smh.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@Prettymetty
I was just thinking about doing a february no-buy this morning. I've been doing pretty good with my stash. I'm actually about to be down to only 1 deep conditioner. My cowash is halfway done as well but I bought a backup on black friday so I think I might be good on cleansers until may. My oyin greg juice is on its last legs as well so my plan is to put it in a spray bottle and dilute it with water to use it up. Gonna use up the rest of my 32oz bottle of castor oil for my hair and my body creams/butters. That way it won't go to waste.

Thinking about staying in braids throughout 2023(simple cornrows, not anything too time consuming) just to not fuss with my hair.
I put my lotion in a clear soap dispenser bottle I found at family dollar for $2. Its gonna help me use up my lotion quicker. I'll add oils to it as well.

I always buy my clothes on clearance and i'm not a sneakerhead so I think i'm gonna be okay. My crocs are still holding up well.

Also, this no-buy has been pretty eye opening for me. I spend way too much money on hair products and on amazon buying books smh.
I’ve used up my entire stash. I have like 1 conditioner to my name lol. All my Kerastase goodies have been emptied. I visit the salon regularly, so there’s no need for me to have all those products anyway.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
No ma’am. That’s a gift. If you spend money that you earned it counts as a pass. I got mousse for free with a coupon last week and that didn’t count.
Thanks. I'm running low on makeup remover and I know I'll need more in a few weeks. I got some gift cards for Xmas and my birthday and would use those instead of cash/credit.

DVAntDany

Fighting the temptation to not buy the new Mielle releases while they are on sale
Even though most of their products are on a 4 day flash sale of 40% off right now, you are not missing out on this new release. I will send you some if you really want it.

I just did a test section. I’m not impressed by how it looks wet. I’ll skip on doing my whole head until next Saturday morning. That way if it’s a total fail, I can redo it on a Sunday. I’m not sure this will even last after sleeping on it.

CoiledOrchids

haven't bought anything yet. As of yesterday, I decided I wanna get locs. I'm just trying to finish up my current stash. I'm gonna give away my SSI plum nectar and agave dc to my sister and give her my other bottle of cowash. I'll keep my oils and what's left of my oyin greg juice since its on its last legs anyway.

this no-buy has been so easy for me. I haven't bought anything non-hair related either outside of the essentials. I'll definitely do a february no-buy as well. i'm gonna treat myself to Lauren Asher's new book that's coming out on the 31st...its part of a trilogy and it's called Final Offer. Farrah Rochon has a series that I want to buy and read as well.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
The month is 2 thirds of the way over. These last few days will go quickly as well. So far I haven’t made any purchases. I haven’t used any credit cards and it feels great! This is the self control I didn’t know I needed.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I want to buy 3 wigs with a 25% off coupon i found:cry3:i don't know how long the coupon will last and im getting tired of my ponytails.
I have 3 brand new wigs that I haven’t had a chance to wear since I go to the salon regularly. I used to just throw money away :( I might get to wear one for the next 2 weeks. My schedule will be crazy busy so no time for a blowout.

CoiledOrchids

I have to finish strong! planning on saving money all 2023! I can't wait to start my locs! no more detangling and buying extra products for me!

I'll be going to a loctician for maintenance and styling. I'm trying to be stress-free when it comes to my hair.

doing wash day super late:
used up: SSI banana brulee DC
Cowashed with: 4bellanaturale peach and silk blossom cowash
Oil rinsed with castor oil

will blow dry on cool heat before i braid it up into 6 large braids...might do 2 more wash days before I get my locs done.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
On the 1st of February I’ll stock up on self care items then it’s back to no spending. I need a couple rat tail combs, some razors, more edge control cuz my 10 year old just helps herself to my stuff, and I may get a conditioner with slip. I can only spend $50

HealthyHair2020

Will need to go some accessories for my hair next month but that is it. My scrunchies and hair clips are on their last legs and I need some sweat headbands for working out.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I almost bought some press on nails in the bed yesterday. When I realized what I was doing I quickly walked out lol. I forgot about this challenge for a second.