New York Girls please help me, need a new salon

kiwiny

Hi, this is my first post ,so it's long. Sorry!
I live in brooklyn and I need a salon for short hair my hair is currently 2-2.5 inches and I do not want to go to a domincan salon yet because my hair to short and I would like to go to a black salon with out getting ripped off. I want a stylist who is interested in healty hair and helping me grow it, not maintain the short hair syle I currently have.

In my search for a stylist I tried a new salon in brooklyn for a wash and style. I was 4-5 weeks post relaxer and I was trying to stretch another week or so in. Normally I would think a wash and style using a flat or cuing iron is $40-45 dollars . That is what I expected to pay. Unstead I walk out paying him $103 dollars. As soon as he saw me he insisted that I needed a relaxer now because my hair just wouldn't lay right with out it(that's bull) and then he insisted that I needed a trim for my ends. I told him i wanted to wait a week for the relaxer and he said about 4 weeks is enough time for a relaxer(bull again). He just kept, cutting and cutting. He was more interested in styling me then giving what I wanted which was to keep the length I had.

I am so sad because I have lost about an inch of growth because of this guy . I feel like a sucker, This stylist are real salesman, I feel like they just wanted to get the maximum amoutn of money out of me .

Girls please help me find a stylist in nyc. I need someone who can help me grow my hair out. Thanks. Kiwi

aqualung

Dunno NYC salons, but bumping for others who do.

So true. Black stylists are gonna see you comin' and want to transform you into a Halle clone.

Would you consider wearing braids for a while? No trims and you'd be shoulderlength by the end of the year.

Check out the posts by skegeesmb. She's grown her hair out nicely from a short cut.

debyjay

Re: New York Girls please help me, need a new salo

Megonw is right on! Braids will mos def help you to grow your hair. I live in Brooklyn also. I do have a salon/stylist suggestion for you, but I really think braids is the way to go. I got about 5 inches wearing braids for 6 months -- 2 months at a time.

Let us know how you feel about sporting braids.

kiwiny

Thank you for your input, no one else seems to be helping me. My scalp is too dry and too scaly for braids.

I had them in for a a month in October and was dying to get them out of my head.

This stylist applied a revlon relaxer on my hair and I told him 5 weeks before I used affirm. I don't know what to do now. Should I go back to affirm. Thanks again for your help.

Kiwi

isis1913

Yeah... most Black salons cost alot in Brooklyn that is why so many women go to the Dominican (plus you are in and out if you have a relaxer). I use to go to Time Salon when I had my hair relaxed very straight... Not sure their prices for wash and set. NYC is just expensive if you are from somewhere else...

I agree braids may allow it to grow longer and then you can go to a Dominican Salon. I know a GREAT one in Brooklyn when you are ready (Bonita's on Waverly between Lafayette and Greene in Clinton Hill).

caralexis2005

Isis! did you like Time Salon? Who did you frequent there?
I would really like to check them out.
Also, who do you frequent at Bonita's? what styles are they good at?
thanks

asummertyme

time salon is great!!!
but i suggest doing your own hair until u feel comfortable with your lenghth to fo to the dominican stylists....you can do it!! we can help, only u can baby ur hair and treat it the way it should be treated.

kiwiny

I really do not like Time salon. Yes, they do good hair but the attitudes in there stinks. I refuse to give them my money. About a year ago and half ago my hair was natural. I have thick 4a/4b hair. I wanted it pressed and they made it seem like it was too much work for them and they constantly commented on how thick it was. Is'nt thick hair good. Well I don't want to go nowhere where people are trying to make me feel like I have ugly hair. I have had many people say I have great hair and I think so too.