Newbie ~ Am I missing anything?

PinkishlyNoire

Hey, Ladies!
I'm new, but I have been "stalkin" the forums for a while. I am a relaxed 4b (I think) and thanks to you guys, I'm starting a new regimen.

My hair was arm pit length until I got a "trim" a couple months ago, now its in funky layers and is basically shoulder length. My hair GROWS, that's not the issue, I've just worn my hair in slick ponytails to the back for so long, that my hair has thinned out over the years and I'm trying to get out the mindset that my hair has to be super-straight. I actually like the body, I'm just having trouble learning how to roll my hair and find hairstyles to wear during the day that show off my mane without losing my curls or having it fly in my face.

For the past month I have been pre-pooing, co-pooing, I tried rollersetting 3 times (that was a mild disaster, but I will keep trying) and am now including a low manipulation regimen. I use Olive Oil and IC Fantasia polisher for my daily moisture and usually roll my hair at night with a head rag of course. From this point on, I will definitely be texlaxing, I've kinda been doing something like that already.

So, my question for you guys and definitely for the relaxed/ texlaxed 4a/b's out there: What CAN'T you live without and if you transitioned, did you flat iron your roots? How'd that work out? Do you guys go to a shop or do it at home?

If you have ANY suggestions on my regimen, please reply, I love HELP!

Sondice

The co-washing has def been a life saver for me, I'm about 3 months post and co washing makes stretching soooooooo much easier. Just metls all the new growth, makes it so soft :) Also I love Elasta QP Mango butter Herbal Essences None of your Frizzness leave in and EVOO to seal.
As for relaxing, I plan on doing it @ home for now on

Barbie83

I'm also a stretcher (last touch-up was in january) and when I'm this far into a stretch, I do a lot of co-washing and wet bunning and tend to stick with textured styles like twistouts that work with my new growth and not against it :yep:

Have u looked into BKT (brazilian keratin treatment)? A lot of stretchers, transitioners, and naturals have it done to help make their coils/new growth more manageable and stronger. I was thinking of doing this myself.

Oh, and :welcome4:

nymane

Welcome!

I also love co-washing (or "co-pooing" I like that :giggle:) & DC'ing with Silicon Mix especially when I'm stretching relaxers. I'm not transitioning but I like long stretches...my last stretch was one week short of 7 months (I didn't use any direct heat, I just wore textured styles).

I'd recommend Deep Conditioning weekly, moisturizing your hair daily (focusing on your ends), dusting when needed (I dust every 4 months), and using a protein conditioner or treatment when you need it (I use Aphogee Two Step every 6-8 weeks).

PinkishlyNoire

Thanks, Ladies! Ok, so I think I'm on the right track then. I tried to rollerset again...yeah. Let's just say that it was unremarkable. I have the dents in my hair. Can you roll too tight? Anyway.
I researched the Brazilian Keratin Treatment, that sounds a little scary! Can you use that with previously relaxed hair? Isn't there heat involved? I think I'm going to keep trying to roll my hair, start stretching and texlaxing and learn how to do protective styles for now.
Thanks for your help and even though I stopped flat ironing my hair about a month ago, I think I may do it tonight for my profile pic.