Newbie Group Support Challenge 2010

GoldenBreeze

Hey my Natural Thick Hair Team. Here's the list of the information I'd like to have from you:

-Hair type and curl size when wet with no product. No curl pattern, then I need to know that to.
(Ex: just friz or zzzz's, coffee stirrer, pencil, marker, sidewalk chalk)
-Current length both stretched and unstretched.
-Current regimen including:
*products
*tools (combs, brushes, etc)
-Any hair issues (Ex: breakage, shedding, etc)
-How long you've been natural
-Short-term goals
-Long-term goals
-Let's talk styles! Tell me what you like.
-One thing you LOVE about your hair.
-Include a starting pic.

During this challenge please don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm certain that if one of you has a question another one has the same one, but doesn't want to ask. if I don't know the answer, I promise to do my best to find it.

My one and only hard and fast, unbendable rule. There is no such thing as CAN'T. It's not acceptable, no way, no how, and I'm not trying to hear it! Still happy to be on my team!?! :lachen::lachen:

Now let's get those natural thick strands HEALTHY for Dec. 2010!!! :yep:

Last edited:

NaturallyMo

-Hair type and curl size when wet with no product. No curl pattern, then I need to know that to. I'm unsure of my hair type. But I think it's mostly 4A pencil sized curls with 4B at the nape and sides and 3c at the crown (but that could just be loose 4A. who knows <LOL>)
-Current length both stretched and unstretched. Stretched, my hair is neck/chin length and it shrinks up to ear length. I hate shrinkage.
One of my goals is to get a set regime. Right now I do most of my styles early in the week and they last me through work on the weekend. I deep condition weekly. I do a monthly baking soda protein condish. Co wash and moisturize as needed. And that's about it.
*products Also a work in progress. I'm looking to start using more natural products and homemade concotions and I have a list of things that I want to get from the Health food store. It's very hard to not jump on the bandwagon and try all of these wonderful products reccomended on LHCF, but ultimately my hair is easy to care for. I don't want to fall in lov with a product that I cannot get locally or will have trouble keeping in my regime due to availibity or cost. I am a reformed product junkie, with severe relapse tendencies. I'm in the process of using up all of my old products so that they don't go to waste and then stocking up on some natural products. My currend staples are my moisturizer which I made from Infusium 23, Glycerin, Rosewater, HS 14-in-1, coconut oil and a couple of other things I threw in for good measure, My whipped sheabutter, coconut oil, mango butter mix, Various conditioners, I really don't use shampoo unless I have lots of product buildup and I use whatever is around which is currently about 4 different bottles that need to be used up.
*tools (combs, brushes, etc) Rat tail comb, Wide tooth comb, Conair's knockoff Denman, and a bristle brush for smoothing edges. Of course the obligatory clips and headbands and such. Occasional cool blow dryer for stretching. I use little to no heat on my hair, but I am going to have it straightened and trimmed next month.
-Any hair issues (Ex: breakage, shedding, etc) Overall, my hair is in pretty good condition. I do notice quite a bit of shedding, but I'm not concerned about it since I don't detangle regularly. And thankfully I think I've finally found a solution to my moisture problems. My temples could use some major work. They are anorexic compared to the rest of my head :lachen:
-How long you've been natural I BC's April 1, 2009 so I've been natural for almost 6 months this time. I spent 6 years natural before relaxing in Feb 2008 only to start transitioning in Sept 08. .
-Short-term goals Establishing a regime, decreasing manipulation. I have sever hand in hair syndrome.
-Long-term goals Beautiful shoulder length unstreatched hair.
-Let's talk styles! Tell me what you like. Low maintenance! I love my twists and twist outs, wash-n-gos and my go to puff for when I'm feeling lazy.
-One thing you LOVE about your hair. I love everything about my hair! I am so happy to have my curls back, yall don't even know.
-Include a starting pic. I'll take new starting pics probably tomorrow. I'm terrible at posting pics, so you can view my Sept updates on my fotki.

Shananyganz

Natural Thick Hair Team

-Hair type and curl size when wet with no product.: Uhm..I want to say a 3c/4a combo, but I'm not for certain about all of that. I DO know that I have more of a curl pattern in the back. It takes NOTHING to make those babies pop! Size?? Watch spring coils. I think all over there is a curl pattern of some sort, it just get SLIGHTLY loose as we make our way to the front. Feel? Soft and healthy...
-Current length both stretched and unstretched. 4.5 to 5" stretched (varies in some areas) 2.5 to 3in unstretched (varies in some areas)

**Guesstimations, haven't TRULY measured.

ETA:: OK...yea..uhm..I measured last night after cutting off some relaxed ends, they had to go and I prefer sooner than later. Well Ladies, I was I OFF on the quoted guesstimations; I am 4 to 3 inches stretched and 1 in unstrectched.

-Current regimen including products:
Pre-Poo: Suave Tropical mixed with Coconut Oil
Shampoo: Nourish Spa Shampoo
Clarifier: Baking Soda mixed with whatever condish I have
Conditioner: Nourish Spa Conditioner
Co-Wash: Vo5 Moisture Milk
Deep Conditioner: ORS (Protein) Tresemme Deep Quench (Moisture)

- All of the above are done on an as needed basis; but no less than once a week. I shampoo only once a month; clarify only once a month if needed; generally after long term protective styling.

Leave -In: Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Spray or one of the above mixed with Almond Sweet Oil
Moisturizer: QP Elasta Mango Butter
Gel: Still up in the air..sigh

- Generally daily use. I use lightly and if my hair starts feeling "heavy" I do a co-wash.

*tools (combs, brushes, etc): I have a rattail comb for parting if I don't use my fingers. I have a wide tooth comb for detangling. A soft bristle brush and tooth brush (for the slick downs). A pic for my fro, silk scarf and satin bonnet. Plastic clips, flexi-rods (generally for braids right now), bobby pins, head bands, panty hose...uhm and some more stuff.
-Any hair issues (Ex: breakage, shedding, etc) :
I haven't quite gotten the whole gel thing down as of yet. I don't like EcoStyle..it flakes up on me (used it alone, with H2o, with oil, with butter, I gets no love). Tried IC Fantasia Gel and it works great on defining my curl, but not as a slick down gel. My hair WILL slick..its slicked into a puff right now; its just finding the right gel.
-How long you've been natural: Nov 14, 2008 marks my last full relaxer
-Short-term goals
Shoulder Length June 2010: 8 to 10 in (Staying away from direct heat...keeping it healthy)
Long Term Goal: Bra Strap Length January 2012: 17 to 19 in
-Let's talk styles! Tell me what you like.:
Recently out of braids...BUT I like my puff (couldn't do one in June..now..I can!!) and my picked out fro. I also like the baby mohawk..lol...didn't take pics..but the digital cam..NO LOVE!!
-One thing you LOVE about your hair.::
Its thick!!There is SO much of it, I can't imagine what its gonna be like when it grows out. (I still have some relaxed ends..SIGH..all good for now)
Starting pic below..I think...
BTW:: My "starting" pic is after I took out my braids, 3 months posts BC...I'll try to find the ones from this past June and post later.

Attachments

• NaturallyMe2.jpg
    NaturallyMe2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 6
  • NaturallyMe3.jpg
    NaturallyMe3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 5
  • NaturallyMe1.jpg
    NaturallyMe1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

PaleoChick

Natural Thick Hair Team

-Hair type and curl size when wet with no product:
4a/4b combo.
Feel? Coarse all over except when I drown it in water and shea butter leave in, then it's soft...
-Current length both stretched and unstretched. 7" stretched; 5" unstretched
-Current regimen including products:
Pre-Poo:Triple Moon Anointing Oil from Etsy (scalp and length)
Shampoo: Diluted Dr. Bronner's peppermint shampoo and baking soda mix
Clarifier: Baking Soda + TJ Nourish Conditioner
Conditioner/Co Wash: TJ Nourish Spa Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: AO HSR with heat or AO HSR+ 2 egg yolks (for protein) rinsed with cold beer

This regimen is weekly; shampoo is every two weeks; clarify once a month
Leave -In: SheaMoisture Leave In Conditioner + Njoi Herbal Hairdressing to seal
or Njoi Coconut Cream Hairdressing
Moisturizer: Homemade tea spritz
Gel: No gel

*tools (combs, brushes, etc): Fingers! I have a sandalwood comb for extensive detangling. I have a wide tooth comb to detangle as well. I don't use a brush anymore. I use a silk bonnet. My wig is also a tool for me. I haven't been wigless since May 1, 2009 and I plan to stay wigged up until May 1, 2010 for comparison.
-Any hair issues (Ex: breakage, shedding, etc): trying to get it to grow

-How long you've been natural: November 15, 2007 was my last relaxer. Has severe breakage including a 2 in bald spot. Chopped off everything 5/1/2008. Finally starting taking care of my hair 9/1/2008. So, it's been a year of acutal hair care.
-Short-term goal:
May 2010: as close to APL as possible
Long Term Goal: Bra Strap Length May 2011
Let's talk styles! Tell me what you like.: I don't know what I would like. I would like a decent wash and go without looking crazy. Braidouts and twistouts make my hair look so thin. So right now, it's a wig, wig and more wigs.
One thing you LOVE about your hair: Its thick!!
Starting pic: will post and put up in the next couple of days. Camera is being repaired.

Taleah2009

Is it too late to join a team? I am in transitioning type 4 something I think between nape and shoulder length hair. I hope its not too late!

NappyGoddesse

I would LOVE to join!

This is my first post, as I have just joined "officially"...:wave: I have been doing the research and lurking on this site for about a month; so I am looking to participate in a challenge that will help me to be accoutable for the health and growth of my hair.

I have 3C / 4A hair.

I was natural up until September 4, when I attempted to textlax my hair using a Cantu relaxer. It didn't take, so I am waiting until November to texlax again with Profectiv. All this to say that I would like to be included in the texlaxed team, once you have found a captain.

Currently, I am right at Shoulder length. My short-term goal is Arm Pit Length; my long-term goal is Bra Strap Length.

I started bun-styling 2 weeks ago, and have started baggying my ends to help with the slight damage to my ends from all of the heat styling. I also am using more protein and trying to balance it with moisturizers. I am so excited and can't wait to learn more growing healthy hair!

Anyway, enough of my babble :blah: - who is going to be the texlaxed captain? And what do we do for this challenge??

Twisted Treat

Okay have read the info. I would be happy to assist a Captain.

I am one of those who have heard your hair is too thick, too nappy, you have bad hair and shrinkage that would stop traffic. I also have hair that is moody when growing meaning one month it grows normal the next month nada.

If any of you are protein sensitive or not and natural with 4a-z cottony masses of wonderfulness also known in some circles as Cnapp (does not reflect light, natural dull looking and when dry looks like black cotton) I am your girl.

So If there is a Captain who needs an assistant give me a ring. In the meantime, if you have questions please feel free to check my fotki, pm me ask me questions at anytime. If I don't know the answer I will help you find it.

Wishing you all happy healthy hair growth in the coming years.

That's me!!! This thread made me come out of hiding. I would like to join the next Thick haired Natural Group. I've been natural for 5 years, but just started taking care of my hair last year. I have 4b shoulder length hair. Please be a captain mscocoface:grin:

Damaged but not out

Oh well i was waiting for the texlax captain. But just in case i miss them when they come on board.
Please add me for the Texlax group whenever, wherever, however.

:ohwell:

Uhhm well i mae the decision to transition this morning, so was wondering if i could be added to Section B transition 4a/b

Last edited:

carameldelight87

I definitely want to join in! I'm new to the site. I think I joined in August. All I know is I WANT LONGER HEALTHY HAIR!! :yep: I would LOVE for one of the veterans to share any and all knowledge they have acquired in order to help me reach my goals.

I also may need a little help creating those goals. What's a reasonable amount of hair growth to expect per month? I've heard 1inch/month but I wanted some confirmation on that.

As for my hair type, I'm a natural 4a with a little 3c at the crown, and I believe I'm SL-straightened. I haven't straightened in 2 months, so idk. :)

This is SO AMAZING! You read my mind!!!!!!

I've been a member now for a month and I'm all over the place. Anyway. I'm a 4b and natural. I'm looking foward to it. I need a hair mentor like I need (h)air.

I hear you! I need a hair mentor too!!! This is what I've been looking forward to...CHALLENGE:drunk::grin:! I need to start seeing some results and ironing out the kinks in my reg.

I'm in. Stats as follows:
4b au natural

Choirgirl

Hey my Natural Thick Hair Team. Here's the list of the information I'd like to have from you:

-4a/4b texture, some curls but not many. Mostly they are in the back and the left front side and they are about the size of a pencil and lots of frizz.

-Stretched hair is shoulder length. Otherwise, it is ear length. I will confirm this with a pic I upload this weekend.

-Co-Wash on Tuesdays and maybe Thursday with either: David Bahaii, V05, Tressemme, TJ's, Hello Hydration, Suave Coconut or Organix Coconut Milk. Always add some oil. Use KCCC and oil for daily management.

-DC on Saturday with Organic Hair Mayo mixed with an egg, castor oil, jojoba, EVOO, vegetable glycerin or EV coconut oil for 2-3 hrs on the weekend.

Nexxus Hummextress, or Giovanni Direct as leave ins.

I moisturize nightly with water, butter ( or an unrefined shea concoction) and seal with oil and then I put my hair in 8 big braids or twist and sleep in a satin scarf. I'm taking One A Day Vitamins with extra Biotin. I have a D3 and a D7 Denman which I only use on my hair when it's completely saturated with conditioner and not before I've finger combed and used a very wide toothed comb.

My shedding is equivalent to the size of two half dollar coins stacked -sometimes less. I have been natural for 6 years. Currently, my ends feel rough and brittle. I added an egg to my last mayo DC and it seemed to really help. UPDATE: Shedding has reduced to the size of a nickel since adding eggs to Mayo DC. and my hair feels sooo strong.

My short term goal is to obtain healthier hair by using mostly organic products. MBL, long term goal is WL.

I love styles that are easy to manage. I'm experimenting with protective styles. Lately, I've been wearing my hair like what you see in my signature except I pull it all back and tuck the ends up into bun.

I really love the way my hair responds to honey or KCCC, the curls pop. But, the honey makes my hair stiff so I don't do that often. KCCC is my new love. I like the way that my hair responds to butters and I like the color of my hair, but I wish it was a deeper black color.

Last edited:

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
These are the ladies that I have thus far on the Natural Fine Hair Team:

GreatfulBeauty
brebre928
Nia430
africanviolet92
mstar
sstevenson

If it's not too late, can I join your team? I'm pretty new to the forum and could really use the support.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
My Hair info:

Hair Type (also describe what size your curls are when wet w/o product, ie….pencil, marker, sharpie, coffee stirrer, etc..)
- Natural, fine
- 3b/c’ish with pencil to sharpie sized curls and waves.

Current Hair Length (stretched and unstretched)
- NL un-stretched/between SL and APL stretched

Current Regimen
- CO-wash (conditioner, amla, shikakai, brahmi mix) & DC 2 -3 x’s per week
- Mild protein weekly (aphogee 2-min or Aubrey Organics GPB), except on henna and heavy protein weeks
- Henna every 4 weeks
- Heavy protein (aphogee 2-step) every 4 weeks (2-weeks apart from henna)
- Seal with extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil
- Moisturize daily with leave-in conditioner (homemade mix) and shea butter (homemade mix of shea and various oils)
- Air dry/No heat
- Check length every 4 months (blow dry and flat iron, w/lots of thermal protection)

Date of BC (if you bc’d)
- Natural my whole life.

Short-Term Goal
- Step away from the scissors (slightly addicted):blush:. Healthy, solid APL hair by 12/31/2009. Healthy BSL hair by 07/31/2010.

Long-Term Goals
- Healthy MBL/WL Hair

Hair Styles you wear and/or would like to wear
- Protective all the way – twists & buns

Really looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you :yawn:.

Nappy_in_the_City

-Hair type and curl size when wet with no product. No curl pattern, then I need to know that to. I am in the 4b range the size of pen springs, my crown area has no definition

-Current length both stretched and unstretched. unstretched - 4in, stretched - 6in.

*products right now I don't have any staples so currently I'm trying the Joico K-Pak line

*tools (combs, brushes, etc) I love my wide tooth comb and denman with bobby pins for styling and a head warp for pulling my hair into a high puff

-Any hair issues (Ex: breakage, shedding, etc) breaking, shedding, KNOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dryness/crunchy

-How long you've been natural from 2003-2007 relapsed for 3 months and I'm back 2007- current. This time no dye, I'm keeping it 100.

-Short-term goals combat the knots and dryness, and grow another 4 inches.

-Long-term goals shoulder length in unstretched state

-Let's talk styles! Tell me what you like. i love braid out, twist outs, anything OUT!! I need discipline in caring for my ends while wearing OUT styles

-One thing you LOVE about your hair. I love that my hair is thick!! and creates a halo around my head. Its an attention grabber!

-Include a starting pic. coming soon.

MummysGirl

:hiya:

Please send me a PM with your:
last relaxer date, transitiong goal, transition styles so far and transition regimen...
Is it too late to join a team? I am in transitioning type 4 something I think between nape and shoulder length hair. I hope its not too late!

SmilingElephant

Hello ladies!!! Sorry I have been MIA for a few days :look:

An-t-ways..... This month i will be making a section B....but i need someone to be the General over this section.

I'm the General over Section A.

To be a General you must have been on LHCF for a year or more and be willing to over look as many groups as you think u can handle for your section. Im overlooking 6 groups. You have to keep up with everyone's progress throughout the challenge...you can choose how many ppl per group....as many as you feel you can keep up with.

I need to know who is gonna be the General over Section B.....oh yeah...and the General has to have her own group as well :yep:

Whoever has some good experience with hair care and feel they can be committed to keeping up with all their groups for a year....let me know who you are....that way i can PM with all the Newbies that have been Pm'ing me and that have been leaving questions in the challenge threads that you are over Section B.

Thank You Ladies!!! Stay Beautiful :congrats:

MzJai

Hi I'm VERY new to LHCF...Just joined yesterday, and alwasy wanted to get into a challange (been lurking for months now : )

I'm Natural, NL 4a/b fine hair...I would LOVE LOVE Some thickness and Length! I hope there is a Captain out the Yall! Please!

MummysGirl

My team (so far):
TyHill21

ladysaraii
JayAnn0513
StephElise
BlaqBella
sipp100
Taleah2009

Taleah2009 please PM me your: last relaxer date, transitiong goal, transition styles so far and transition regimen...

Yay! I have a co-captain, will update with details later.

TheCoilWhisperer

Hello beautiful ladies of LHCF! I am a newbie and I need HELP!

I am relaxed with the goal of transitioning to natural
4b/c, fine hair shoulder length hair

MummysGirl do you still have room? I'll pm you.