NEWBIE HERE HAS ANYONE UNRAVELED THERE LOCS

writtenthought

I love this website, but I haven't found anyone with the same hair issues as me. I had locs for almost 3yrs and I unravelled them in April. I had major splits and had to cut off a lot of hair But i'm still sl. anyone eles in the same boat? I need some help?

http://public.fotki.com/sumismommy/

loved

I haven't done it, but I collect hair magazines and have one from a couple years ago where they did this. It stands out in my memory, because I didn't know it was possible, and when they described how much time it took to do it w/ a couple people working on it.

[/QUOTE]
I love this website, but I haven't found anyone with the same hair issues as me. I had locs for almost 3yrs and I unravelled them in April. I had major splits and had to cut off a lot of hair But i'm still sl. anyone eles in the same boat? I need some help?

godsflowerrr

I have never had locs but have always wanted them:yep: I just don't have the patience to cut my hair off and start over.......i did see locs unraveled before at the bronner brothers hair show with the product 'take down' and i was really surprised because i didn't know that you can unravel locks. i just thought that you had to cut them out....it was very interesting:yep:

writtenthought

Yes it can be done I did it. It took me and my Mom about a week. i think when I unravelled I was past apl not quite bsl. But with the all the splits I'm only SL now. I hope to be bsl by the end of 08 with the help of lhcf. Check out my http://public.fotki.com/sumismommy/ I just started it sooooo...

lilamae

My best friend did it and her hair is doing very well. she is like mid back but did have to cut a bit off first befoe she got there. You'll be alright.

Katt73

I unraveled mine after cutting them to just above shoulder length. I used an icepick (yes...an icepick) and it took me about three days working nonstop with very little sleep to get them all un-done. Then I relaxed my hair and cut it in a short style with lengths ranging from tapered to 3 inches. My hair was very healthy and strong. I think if I had left it SL, it would have given me issues.

writtenthought

Thanks. My hair is really strong. I used a pin so I know what your talking about. I just had a alot of splits I still have a few left.

HisBestFriend

I have nothing to contribute hair wise but... both you and your little one are beautiful. The way I figure it, is if you have the patience to take down your locs with a pin, you'll find the info you need SOMEWHERE on the board!

(squirrely acting search feature :spinning:)

DarkVictory

Tried taking mine down, but they were turning out such a hacked-up mess I ended up cutting them off. Wish I'd thought of using an icepick!

glam-

Wow, I admire your patience to take them down/unravel them. You and your hair look beautiful and your fotki is great- your little girl is such a doll!

harrison

:wallbash:I cut mine from bsl to above shoulder and unraveled the rest. It took me almost a month. I wore headwraps until I was finished.

My hair is very thick and coarse. I couldn't get a comb through it to save my life. But I went to a salon that was able to work it into some sorta fuzzy something. :wallbash: Then I started 2 strand twisting. Thank God for LHCF because I have found some conditioning techniques that really work.

I no longer feel that locs are my only natural alternative hairstyle.:yep:

natstar

I used a large safety pin and a huge bottle of Suave conditioner to take my locs out. I first took some out in the back and then when I had a week long break I took the rest out. I was determined and I am glad I did it. It can be done.

ajargon02

HI,
I haven't had your experience, but I know that several women on www.nappturality.com have "undone" locs. I know that you can do a search on there to try to get more advice from the before,during and after phase to see what others went through as well. :) Good luck to you in your journey!

sikora

Hi Summi, I was wondering how your hair could get damaged from wearing locks? Was it the hair rubbing against clothing that caused the split ends?

Str8~Curly

I did, but I took them out in just one day. I got to the point where I was just ripping through 5 or 6 locs at a time with a comb b/c i was sick of the process and didn't want to walk outside half undone. I lost a lot of hair but I just said screw it, it will grow back, and it did. IMO, Trim whatever you need to, stay moist, and deep condition, and eat healthy and/or take your vitamins. Thats what I did to get back my length and thickness.

Last edited:

Aveena

My sister had locs for 10 years. She could sit on her hair - it was that long. She unraveled what she could and was left with shoulder length hair after trim/cut.