Newbie in Los Angeles

hera

Hi everyone...I'm a definate newbie who after years of constant braids and wigs want to relax my hair. My hair is shoulder length due to constant triming to accomodate the braids styles that are not braided at the end. My hair falls into the 4a group very wiry and I think is dry. I want to get my hair relaxed but nervous due to my experience 3 yrs ago where it was relaxed with a great length that went pass my bra straps but was gone a year later to bad hair care and my addiction to flat irons. Are there any specific books/online article/tips that I can look at to not go thru the breakage thing again?Also has anyone with 4b/4a tried the straight perm that seems so popular over here...does it straighten your hair as well as relaxers? My friend tried it and it looks great but her hair is more 2-3 so I can't really judge properlly. Thanks everyone!

Nonie

Hi Hera

I'm not an expert on relaxers/perms but I was under the impression that relaxers and straight perms were the same thing. (No?)

I think what you should do before you relax (and the experts in that department will correct me here, if I'm wrong) is give your hair a few reconstruction treatments to strengthen it. It also sounds like you could use some deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner since your hair feels dry. I don't know what moisturizer you use as a leave-in, but have you ever tried to sleep in a plastic cap after applying it? I am yet to find anything that gives one's hair moisture infusion better than doing this.

Please post your regimen so people can see what you're already doing right and what could be improved. Oh and BTW, welcome to the board; you're on your way to a great head of hair.