Newbie/ S Curl

Lshona

Hi, I've been lurking for a couple of months, and you all have been such a wealth of knowledge for me. I have been loving the co washes, EVOO, and my caruso rollers. I have very short hair maybe ear length on the sides, below eye brows in the front. In the back its very short I used to always get a fade in the back. I was reading yesterday about how some ladies use S Curl for moisture, and that has been a big problem for me. So I co washed last night sprayed my hair with S Curl and some Kemi Oil. Well today I tried my carusos and I was horrified:eek: that my hair would'nt curl. I was wondering if anyone has had this experince, and is it just me being to heavy handed with the spray? I have'nt hot curled in months, but after my Caruso disaster I tried to hot curl and that did'nt even work.:( I really love the S Curl:) , it makes my hair so soft I would hate to give this up. I would also hate to give up my Caruso's, my hair is so short I do not know how else to wear it. :confused:
TIA Shona:)

Tene

I don't like s-curl it makes my hair feel icky and coated. I like care free curl better. Maybe you can try the care free curl dry hair and scalp spray, it's a lot less watery.

Lshona

Thanks, I've been reading alot of threads about activators, and I will try a different one. I will use the S curl on my 3 daughters natural hair so it wont go to waste. Who knew jerri curl juice was so great for relaxed hair!:)

Iluvsmuhgrass

I usually use it on new growth and edges and sparingly because a little bit goes a long way. I prefer to put a little on in the morning and evening and then add a light oil or a little vaseline. It's been working because my "kitchen" is catching up. If you add alot it will be goopy. I think it's pretty good for bunning. I spray my ends (lower two to three inches) and add the oil then but it up and my ends stay moisturized.

Arcadian

I use carefree curl gold. I use a quarter sized amount mixed with a nickle sized amount of elasta qp. My hair is nearly shoulder length so if your hair is longer you may need to use a little more, but even that small amount does the job for my hair.

That seems to help my hair retain moisture without making it too soft to handle. I air dry my hair without problem at all (though it IS slow to dry this way) I'm very anti-heat so since I don't use a curling iron or rollers (except 1 time a year) so I can only tell you from what I've experienced. if your hair is slow to dry you may need to use a blow dryer with very light heat.

I'm sort of a minimalist and use as little as possible product that I can get away with. My hair and scalp has thanked me :D

One thing though, even though I don't use lots of anything, I still have to wash (or at the very least rinse) my hair every 2-3 days. longer than that I feel buildup which just drives me crazy. Good thing my hair likes water!!

So you may just need a small amount on the days you want to curl your hair and on the days you don't curl your hair use more.

-A

Lshona

Thanks for the replies!I'm going to co wash my hair tonight, and only put a small amount on my hair. Arcadian if you only use a small amount on your hair and yours is shoulder length, I know I used WAY to much on my short hair. I'll see how that works & finish this bottle and then try a different brand until I find what my hair likes.

Elizabeth26

You could have product build up or your hair could be porous and this could have an affect on how the product work on your hair. You probably should try some clarifying shampoo and deep condition for 15 minutes with porosity conditioner. Then put the scurl on your hair and see how it works.