Newbie starting a hair journey

SkinnyP525

Apologies for this semi long post. I just want to give a little background about my hair. My profile pic is the longest my hair has been and that was in 2008. Later that year, I had surgery and the anesthesia damaged my hair so I got it cut really short. A few months later, I got micros which really helped my hair grow.

A year later, I stopped wearing micros and started wearing sew -ins. Everything was going great until I decided to get microlinks which did a lot of damage. Since then, my hair has been on a downward spiral, especially the front. So I decided I needed to get my hair cut again.

I don't go to salons often, maybe once a year, so I found one (I love the atmosphere but my stylist burns me several times when flatironing my hair). She just did the cut today (pics below) and I'm not really feeling it but it definitely feels so much better.

I'm relaxed, and I'm 4 weeks post my last perm. At this point, I just need a little help with my hair journey. My hair is always dry so any suggestions to battle dry hair will be appreciated. I know I will be doing sew ins as a protective style and to promote hair growth since my hair grows very well when braided. How long should I keep my sew in in?

I'm super excited about starting my hair journey. Im hoping to be necklength by August 2013.

Attachments

• IMG01020-20120815-1642.jpg
    IMG01020-20120815-1642.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG01010-20120815-1640.jpg
    IMG01010-20120815-1640.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 53

Guinan

Re-Branding
Welcome! I don't know much bout weaves but as far as dealing with dry hair scurl is a great moisturizer but if u don't want anything to wet qp elasta mango butter is really good too

Oh and I luv the cut

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Welcome Skinny! :wave:

How often do you deep condition? What products are you currently using? To tackle the dry hair, I would start deep conditioning with something really moisturizing 1x a week.

SkinnyP525

pelohello thanks so much for the info. I will try the scurl first and if its too much, I will try the qp.

NappyNelle I deep condition usually once a week but I think the problem is it only gets on the weave and not my hair. I have seen on youtube that I should thin the conditioned and put it in an applicator bottle so I'm going to try to start using that. I usually use nexxus for conditioning but not the humectress one, just a reg nexxus conditioners so that's probably part of the problem too. As far as any other product, I use coconut oil and motions shine enhancing pomade everyday and creme of nature argan oil strength and shine leave in conditioner every other day.

westNDNbeauty

Welcome!

Just wanted to add, no more than 3 months for the weave. And make sure you are moisturizing your hair/braids while weaved. You will risk all of your progress during the take-down if your hair is dry and breaking because it lacks moisture.

Lita

Hi & Welcome..Love the cut..LHCF has wealth of info..Enjoy your stay..

Happy Hair Growing!

sunnieb

Welcome! Check out the "LHCF Guide to Healthy Relaxed Hair" sticky thread at the top of the page or there's a link in my siggy. That's a good place to start! :yep:

Last edited:

SkinnyP525

Sorry ladies, I've been working on my sew in so I've been absent from lhcf. Thanks to all the ladies for the warm welcome and to WestNDbeauty (probably got the name wrong cause I'm not looking at your post) if I'm not mistaken, I remember you had a youtube video about a sew in you got (I thought it looked nice cause your hair blended very nicely) that you weren't too fond of and I really enjoyed the video.

I have attached a pic of my protective style that I will wear for about 2 months.

Attachments

• IMG01026-20120817-1856.jpg
    IMG01026-20120817-1856.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG01027-20120817-1856.jpg
    IMG01027-20120817-1856.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 8