Newbie Support Challenge Section B Charzboss's Team!

Charz

Sinister Minister
justicefighter1913 kindly reminded me to start a thread for our Newbie Support team. :grin:

This is the original thread: Newbie Support Thread Section B

Here are our team members!

Natural Coarse/Medium Hair – Charzboss (Captain)
JusticeFighter1913 - Coarse
carameldelight87 - Coarse
NFocus - Medium/Coarse
TwistedTreat - Coarse
Letta - Coarse
Nappy_in_the_City - Coarse
Nela21 - Coarse
scotchbonnet - Coarse
soude – Coarse
Stacy The Lady
julieangel09 - Medium/Thick
MisSweeTiera - Medium/Thick

Last edited:

Charz

Sinister Minister
Hey ladies! :) I know my hair isn't crazy long like some of the other ladies on this board, but I BC'ed to 2 inches in the front and .25 inches in the back and sides last November.

I look forward to getting to know all of yall. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Also if you are unsure about hair products my youtube link is www.youtube.com/charzboss.

My Stats:

I am a medium/coarse natural that has primarily 4a with a little bit of 4b on the sides and 3c on my crown.

I am SL in the back, NL at the crown and CL in the front.

The Rules

LOW MANIPULATION

Manipulation is a natural's nightmare! Please refrain from over manipulating your tresses. Braids, twists, wigs, weaves and buns are a must for this challenge. Comb once or twice a week, handle your hair like silk.

Deep Conditioning and Sealing

Many naturals have problems with retaining moisture so DCing and sealing are much needed. Please DC ATLEAST once a week with heat. This heat can be from a steamer, dryer, or your body heat with a plastic cap.

Communicate about your Journey

This thread is about sharing our experiences and learning from one another. I am positive I will learn something from all of yall and through different perspectives we as a whole can learn allot!

Enjoy Your Hair

I look back at when I had my TWA and I miss it sometimes. I enjoyed every step of the way with my journey so far. Going through this journey really made me personally appreciate the hair that I have on my head and the time and energy I put into caring for my hair. If you look at this journey as a gift rather than a burden, your HCJ will be more meaningful.

Last edited:

julzinha

I am a newbie and would like to join the challenge! I had many set backs since i started lurking last year. I always wore braid extensions, but I never moisturized, washed, or conditioned my hair while I was in braids and I was in braids 98% of the year and the 2% being when I took out my hair for washes then back into braids. Then I found growafrohairlong.com last summer and I am following the Crown & Glory method for braids. I mix Infusium 23 with African Royale Braid Spray and a little coconut oil and i moisturize my hair daily and I have been retaining length and repaired the damage I've done

My Stats

medium textured to thick 4a/b natural at little over SL

Charz

Sinister Minister
I am a newbie and would like to join the challenge! I had many set backs since i started lurking last year. I always wore braid extensions, but I never moisturized, washed, or conditioned my hair while I was in braids and I was in braids 98% of the year and the 2% being when I took out my hair for washes then back into braids. Then I found growafrohairlong.com last summer and I am following the Crown & Glory method for braids. I mix Infusium 23 with African Royale Braid Spray and a little coconut oil and i moisturize my hair daily and I have been retaining length and repaired the damage I've done

My Stats

medium textured to thick 4a/b natural at little over SL

Hey girl, I will add you to the challenge! Are you wearing box braids? What do you use to Deep condition? How long to you leave your braids in and do you take breaks in between?

Welcome!

MisSweeTiera

I'm new as well and would like to join the challenge. I BC'd in December and transitioned for about 8 months. I'm kind of lost right now on what products to use. I believe I'm probably 4a, with 4b on the sides, and some IDK in the middle to front lol. When I was transitioning I used Hair Mayo to DC once a week or every time I pooed. I tried to do it once a week about a week ago and my hair was super dry so I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. I've used kinky-curly knot today, defines my IDK section a little but it moisturizes, but if I use too much it sits on my hair ugh. Yeah so I need some help lol

Last edited:

Charz

Sinister Minister
I'm new as well and would like to join the challenge. I BC'd in December and transitioned for about 8 months. I'm kind of lost right now on what products to use. I believe I'm probably 4a, with 4b on the sides, and some IDK in the middle to front lol. When I was transitioning I used Hair Mayo to DC once a week or every time I pooed. I tried to do it once a week about a week ago and my hair was super dry so I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. I've used kinky-curly knot today, defines my IDK section a little but it moisturizes, but if I use too much it sits on my hair ugh. Yeah so I need some help lol

Hey! ORS Hair Mayo is a light protein. I would suggest that you use a more moisturizing one for a DC if your hair feels super dry. Did you get the knot today from Whole Foods? If so Whole Foods has Aubrey Organics moisturizers that are very moisturizing. Honey suckle Rose and White Camellia are two wonderful Deep Conditioners. Vitamin Shoppe carries them as well.

Castor oil is great for sealing the hair after moisturizing. Do you currently use oil to seal? I like KCNT but I find it better to detangle then to truly moisturize.

www.youtube.com/charzboss is where I have variety of product review that you may find helpful because you are just starting out.

I will add you to our challenge.

Welcome!

Nappy_in_the_City

Charz, Thanks...I will be looking at your youtube channel soon.

Right now I am going to hide my hair for as long as I can underneath a wig because I am definitely try to retain length. how often should I trim my ends if it is underneath a wig.

Right now I'm trying to do the PS all the way. I tend to play around in my hair waaaaay too much and that only takes me down the path to breakage and setbacks. I'm wearing my hear in cornrows ( I am working on that skill! cause I'm tired of paying other people to do it for me) and I'm wearing a wig most of the time. Trying desperately to maintain length, so I haven't done a length check in well over 3 months, but I do know that my hair is getting much thicker, as I am consistently using ayruveda and castor oil :)
Good luck ladies!

MisSweeTiera

Thanks and yes I bought it from Whole Foods, I check out your recommendations when my funds come in lol. And yes I do use oil to seal, I've been using jojoba, my hair seems like that, am I doing the right thing?

Letta

I just had a bad experience with a sew-in so currently im trying 2 baby my scalp back to health. but luckily i took it out b4 any damage could b done. i just don't think im supposed to have weaves.

im going back to school and i want something that isn't too much work. im just not sure what to do. i dont really like braids and b/c of my scalp issues i hav 2 wash my hair pretty frequently. What are sum good suggestions?

Charz

Sinister Minister
Charz, Thanks...I will be looking at your youtube channel soon.

Right now I am going to hide my hair for as long as I can underneath a wig because I am definitely try to retain length. how often should I trim my ends if it is underneath a wig.

I think that you should trim as needed. Take a peek every now and then and check for split ends or if your hair feels rough. Do a search and destroy every now and then.

Wow, I am too afraid to wear a wig. I am a klutz so I fear it falling off!

Right now I'm trying to do the PS all the way. I tend to play around in my hair waaaaay too much and that only takes me down the path to breakage and setbacks. I'm wearing my hear in cornrows ( I am working on that skill! cause I'm tired of paying other people to do it for me) and I'm wearing a wig most of the time. Trying desperately to maintain length, so I haven't done a length check in well over 3 months, but I do know that my hair is getting much thicker, as I am consistently using ayruveda and castor oil :)
Good luck ladies!

I stink at cornrowing, I am trying to gett better as well. I love caster oil!

Thanks and yes I bought it from Whole Foods, I check out your recommendations when my funds come in lol. And yes I do use oil to seal, I've been using jojoba, my hair seems like that, am I doing the right thing?

I've heard ladies using jojoba oil, so if it works for you then it's the right thing! Check out the jojoba oil online. It's much cheaper than from whole foods. Girl, I went in there looking for some jojoba oil and nearly had a heart attack looking at the price.

I just had a bad experience with a sew-in so currently im trying 2 baby my scalp back to health. but luckily i took it out b4 any damage could b done. i just don't think im supposed to have weaves.

im going back to school and i want something that isn't too much work. im just not sure what to do. i dont really like braids and b/c of my scalp issues i hav 2 wash my hair pretty frequently. What are sum good suggestions?

Maybe try a wig or two strand twists?

How long did you have the weave in. I was gonna do a weave, but got scared of my hair thining out. What kind of scalp issues do you have?

Letta

Maybe try a wig or two strand twists?

How long did you have the weave in. I was gonna do a weave, but got scared of my hair thining out. What kind of scalp issues do you have?

I got it installed on Thursday:look: but I have seborrheic dermatitis and had it under control for awhile but I think I had an outbreak. My scalp looks so horrible right now.

I've been doing wigs for about two years now and when I'm not wearing my wig its in twists. I guess I just wanted something different. I thought I should just stick to what works.

Charz

Sinister Minister
I got it installed on Thursday:look: but I have seborrheic dermatitis and had it under control for awhile but I think I had an outbreak. My scalp looks so horrible right now.

I've been doing wigs for about two years now and when I'm not wearing my wig its in twists. I guess I just wanted something different. I thought I should just stick to what works.

Girl I'm sorry! Try some tea-tree oil and some castor oil on your scalp! I know what you mean about wanting something different. Just the fear of my hair thining and the prices to get a weave in DC made me reevaluate my decision!

Neala21

How long does everyone typcially DC when using Heat? I was thinking of going for 30 minutes each week. I have ORS Replenshing Conditioner and Aphoghee 2min (protein) is this sufficient enough for my DCs?

Charz

Sinister Minister
How long does everyone typcially DC when using Heat? I was thinking of going for 30 minutes each week. I have ORS Replenshing Conditioner and Aphoghee 2min (protein) is this sufficient enough for my DCs?

I DC from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Just depends on what I am doing at the time. I think 30 minutes is adequate.

hey i am also a newbie on here so everything is kinda new for me.
i always wanted to join a challenge but was always too late to sign up. :grin:

between 06-07 i had long hair.. down my back but then i got a birth control shot which made all my hair fall out. :nono:
so, i had to have it cut. well i cried in the chair when my stylist did it due to the fact that i invested SO MUCH TIME and ENERGY into my hair, i felt it was all wasted :perplexed (by the way, i had a fantastic hair dresser).
but due to the economy now i want to learn how to grow my own hair and be extremely proud about doing it myself.
so about august i cut my hair again and permed it (my b/f loves the short Rhianna hairstyles :blush:). After lurking around on here, i realized that I can grow my hair by myself and I have been telling myself "If i can be consistent of doing a regimen that works for me for 12 days straight, then it will automatically become a habit." :rolleyes:
Only thing is that i havent yet found a good reggie. :ohwell: So now I am going to try to transition to natural hair again. My oldest sister has natural hair. We actually call her little river bc she has indian hair. my middle sister actuall just cut her locks off and permed her hair. Her locks were beautiful though. almost to her butt.
But that is my story. lol...:yawn:

Charz

Sinister Minister
hey i am also a newbie on here so everything is kinda new for me.
i always wanted to join a challenge but was always too late to sign up. :grin:

between 06-07 i had long hair.. down my back but then i got a birth control shot which made all my hair fall out. :nono:
so, i had to have it cut. well i cried in the chair when my stylist did it due to the fact that i invested SO MUCH TIME and ENERGY into my hair, i felt it was all wasted :perplexed (by the way, i had a fantastic hair dresser).
but due to the economy now i want to learn how to grow my own hair and be extremely proud about doing it myself.
so about august i cut my hair again and permed it (my b/f loves the short Rhianna hairstyles :blush:). After lurking around on here, i realized that I can grow my hair by myself and I have been telling myself "If i can be consistent of doing a regimen that works for me for 12 days straight, then it will automatically become a habit." :rolleyes:
Only thing is that i havent yet found a good reggie. :ohwell: So now I am going to try to transition to natural hair again. My oldest sister has natural hair. We actually call her little river bc she has indian hair. my middle sister actuall just cut her locks off and permed her hair. Her locks were beautiful though. almost to her butt.
But that is my story. lol...:yawn:

Welcome :).

Good thing you live in B-more, the Oyin Handmade store is on Charles Street. Oyinhandmade.com

What products do you use and what styles do you wear?

MisSweeTiera

I'm thinking about doing a sew-in myself, I had one last year around this time, kept it for almost 2 months. It was about $150 with the hair, and I'm tryna be cheap so yeah lol. I didn't do any conditioning or anything because the hairstylist said that it needed to be done by her, and I refused to pay her every two weeks to maintain it. My hair didn't look any different coming out of it, just had some new growth. So my question is if I do decide to do this, what should I do, and can I do it on fairly cheap hair, not the cheapest but definitely not Indian Remy lol

NaturallyMo

I'm subbing to lurk and follow along with you all. I was origionally a member on the Natural Thick Haired team in Section A, but our captain is MIA.