Newbie !!! with pics and questions about deep conditioning

blondemane

Hi!!! after lurking for a year i finally joined. I am currently about SL, natural, just bced in January. Looking forward to hair growing. I had a few questions as well, I plan on flat ironing my hair soon and I know deep conditioning is important to combating poofyness; first question is does aussie moist count as a deep conditioner and second should I deep condition before I wash or after?

my hair currently

right after bc

relaxed hair, (my natural highlights I am trying to get back. My hair has been braided for most of my transition so the sun hasn't had a chance to bleach it)

BostonMaria

WELCOME!!! :drunk:

I had a few questions as well, I plan on flat ironing my hair soon and I know deep conditioning is important to combating poofyness; first question is does aussie moist count as a deep conditioner and second should I deep condition before I wash or after
I think Aussie Moist is a regular conditioner, but I will let the others chime in. The deep conditioner I've used is Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle.

You deep conditioner AFTER you shampoo your hair. Then you rinse it out and style your hair as you normally would.

blondemane

Thank you! I have used Aussie 3 minute miracle before, for a deep condition should i leave it in longer than the 3 minutes?

Lita

..You should Dc after you wash leave in 30 min/rinse/style.....

Happy Hair Growing!

BostonMaria

Thank you! I have used Aussie 3 minute miracle before, for a deep condition should i leave it in longer than the 3 minutes?

I leave my deep conditioners on a minimum of thirty minutes, but most of the time I DC for one hour. I don't even know why they suggest 3 minutes. You don't have to do this, but sometimes I will add coconut oil to my DC just to give it an extra punch :boxing:

ETA: Since you're flatironing I suggest you also get a heat protectant to avoid any damage

blackpearl81

Welcome! Usually any conditioner that tells you to leave it on for 3 minutes or more counts as a DC. I use Silk Elements MegaSilk Condition and leave it on for about 30 minutes with a heating cap. Happy hair growing....this forum is a GREAT resource!!

Leeda.the.Paladin

Welcome! Congrats on your BC. I agree with Maria, 30-1 hour or more. I usually leave mine in for abotu 2 hours because I put it on before I start doing something else, like cleaning the house or working out, so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Flawlis1

Deep conditioning is determined by how long you leave the conditioner in your hair, not by the name on the bottle. I have deep conditoned my hair with Suave Naturals in Lavender.... I put it in my hair after washing, and sit under the hair dryer (a necessity) with a plastic cap for about 20 minutes, and then let my hair cool for about 10 minutes before rinsing. It just depends on what condition your hair is in at that moment, or how much time you have.

mstk

Welcome! There are some great tips on the forum about getting your natural hair straight (WestNDNbeauty springs to mind, but I'm sure I've seen other posters with good methods).

Theresamonet

Deep conditioning is determined by how long you leave the conditioner in your hair, not by the name on the bottle. I have deep conditoned my hair with Suave Naturals in Lavender.... I put it in my hair after washing, and sit under the hair dryer (a necessity) with a plastic cap for about 20 minutes, and then let my hair cool for about 10 minutes before rinsing. It just depends on what condition your hair is in at that moment, or how much time you have.

Hhhmmm...I'm not so sure the bolded is true. I think the conditioner has to contain ingredients that will penetrate the hair shaft in ordered to be considered a "deep" conditioner. There was a thread on what constitutes as a deep conditioner some years ago, let me see if I can find it.....brb.

Found it!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=280741

Excerpt:

Instant Conditioners

There are three main conditioners; instant, deep penetrating and leave-in. Instant Conditioners are applied to the hair and then rinsed out after a few minutes. They attempt to smooth the cuticles and coat the hair shaft to make the hair look shiny and healthy. They work by coating the cuticle with a microfilm coating, usually a wax, that fills in or lays down the cuticle to make it shine and/or easier to detangle.

However, artificially laying down the cuticle will only provide a temporary fix. If you really want results, you need to deep condition with a penetrating conditioner. Deep conditioners use natural body heat or artificial heat from a hood dryer to lift the cuticle and penetrate the cortex.

Deep Penetrating Conditioners

There are two main types of deep or penetrating conditioners; moisture and protein.

Protein based conditioners are designed to increase the diameter of the hair with a coating action. This will strengthen the hair and add body.
Hair that is severely damaged will need a concentrated protein conditioner. These conditioners are designed to pass through the cuticle, penetrate the cortex and replace keratin lost during chemical services. They are designed to equalize porosity, increase elasticity and improve overall appearance. Because the hair is filled with new keratin, it will feel hard after use and should be followed with a moisturizing conditioner to soften and lubricate the hair shaft. Concentrated protein are NOT recommended for use after a chemical treatment like a relaxer, color or perm. These conditioners will disrupt the desired rearrangement of protein bonds formed by these chemical services.

In addition, to protein based conditioners, there are moisturizing deep penetrating conditioners. These conditioners contain humectants that attract moisture and are absorbed into the hair cortex. The difference between instant and deep moisturizing conditioner is that deep treatments contain a
quaternary ammonium component included in the chemical formulation of moisturizers so they are able to attach themselves to the hair fiber and provide longer lasting moisture.

I only deep condition using a conditioner specifically made for deep conditioning. Instant conditioners won't penetrate the hair shaft no matter how long you leave them on so imo they are a no no for deep conditioning. They might feel good but they aren't getting the job done.

Last edited: