sandhair

Hi everyone. I have been reading the advice that the members provide and I know that I am in the right place to obtain my goal of healthy and eventually long hair. I am currently trying to decide whether I want to transition to natural or give the relaxer a go again. It has been 14 weeks since my last touch up (I usually get a touch up every 6 weeks). I went 100% natural in '99 because my hair was so badly damaged that I couldn't take it any more so I did the big chop(less than an inch of hair). My hair grew during this time and I didn't know how to take care of it and I got tired of wearing an afro and hearing and seeing the negative comments and expressions from people, so under pressure I went back to the relaxer in 2001 and my once healthy hair was damaged again. About 8 months ago, I finally found a hair dresser that was using some of Shamboosie's technique (at the time I didn't know it) but my hair was better for it and I could see the difference. However, she moved to another state and I haven't found someone to replace her. I am getting my hair braided tomorrow to give myself some more time to make a decision. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you guys to know where I am in the process and I don't think I would have made it to 14 weeks without the advice from this board.

AnjelLuvs

First, what other people say or do should not be a contributor to what YOU DO with ur hair
Secondly, Learn how to do your own hair wihout relying on others.
Third, what ever is more convenient for you, you should do. If you dont wanna worry about perms, styling, washing, heat, etc. Then get a perm. But if you dont want to do all this go al natural.

To me though I think a perm would be best for me cuz I am lazy and combin my hair would be crazy if I was natural, unless I have a superb conditioner

S

Stylepink

Welcome:

Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your hair. What ever is best for you and your hair should be your priority. I have a relaxer and I love it. I had a problem with breakage but, now that I know how to take care of my hair, its growing like weeds. So decide what YOU want to do, and we are here to support you for whatever you decide!

Allandra

Welcome to the LHCF.

sandhair

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I got my hair braided (individuals) today and I really like it. It is the first time that I've had braids that I feel absolutely no tightness or discomfort. Any advice on the best way to shampoo and condition braids?