Newbie!

Gaea

I have been lurking for a little while and I decided to join.

I had been getting relaxers since I was about 12, and I've never had long hair since before then. I'm 19 now. The last time that I got a relaxer, patches of my hair started falling out. I had some severe scalp damage. The hair that fell out was all around my hairline, the front sides and back.

Since then I haven't relaxed again. I have about 2.5 inches of newgrowth all around.

The places that got burned haven't grown as fast. I have about .5 of an inch in the back, but it's very sparse. In the sides I have about .5 of an inch, and that's a little bit thicker than the back. In the front I have about 2 inches, and it has normal thickness.

My hair is just below chin length.

I desperately want my hair to be healthy. My hair is healthier now than it has been for years, but it still has bad elasticity, but it now has shine and volume and not much breakage.

I'm planning to transition for a long time before I relax again. I'm already used to handling my own hairtype because my hair is very resianant and does not get straight with any relaxer... except no lye relaxers which I don't wish to use. So I guess that I'm really texturized, even though the relaxer was left in and smoothed for 30 minutes. My point is that transitioning for a long period of time won't be hard.

I think that I have 3c/4a hair. I have some bigger curls (diameter of two or three coffee stirrers put together) and some smaller ones (coffee stirrer diameter), but I don't see any 4b type hair in there, everything is ringlets. Does that sound like the right hairtype?

Sorry if this post was too long!

chocolate01

Just wanted to say hi. Don't know much about hair types but some of the other ladies may be able to help.

NGC

Welcome Gaea!

Sorry to hear about the damage to your hair. Check out this page as it describes hairtypes according to Andre: LHCF page on hairtypes

There are also several threads discussing hairtypes. If I can find some , I'll post.

It's been a long time since I used relaxers so I can't really provide advice related to that (many ladies here can though).

Good luck

Isis

Welcome Gaea!

You came to the right place. Hairlove is transitioning beautifully and you may want to check out her techniques and pictures in he hair album. There are other transitioners also on this board.