NEWCOMER'S GROWING OUT CLUB - The First Milestone

LoriLOCX

Welcome back everyone!!!! We've gotten to know a little something about each other, and we can all see that we share much in common…especially the desire and motivation to grow healthy hair. Now, LET’S REALLY GET STARTED! Mark your journals TODAY, as being the first day of your new healthy hair journey. The biggest step and most important part of the NEWCOMER’S GROWING OUT CLUB will be the first milestone. THIS…is your own personal guide that will define how you manage the health and growth of your hair. You are encouraged to ask questions.

----------------------------------
FIRST MILESTONE:
1) If you haven't printed out our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, you may wish to now. Read sections 1-10, as outlined in the Table of Contents. The next posting to observe will be April 11th. We will spend the months of March and April asking questions, perfecting our starting regime, monitoring and sharing hair results and figuring out what products work well for our hair.

2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.
**It will be up to you to faithfully follow this regime, starting now. Post your hair results from following this new regime and share any good/bad/so-so experiences.

3) List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review.
*Clarifying Shampoo -
*Routine Shampoo -
*Deep Conditioning -
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) -
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!)
*Reconstructors –
*Daily Maintenance Care -

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon?
*What product(s) do you use?
*What is your color regime (i.e., when do you color, what is your regime to minimize damage, how often do you apply color…etc)

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style?

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.

And now....a special note from our very own don'tspeakdefeat!!!
=======================================================
It is so wonderful to know that so many ladies here are excited about grower longer stronger healthier hair. By joining this forum and joining this club you have made the steps in the right direction. I wish you all that you deserve in your hair growing journey. Good Luck ladies!!

-DSD

MSee

I definately need some suggestions. Could you recommend a good moisturizer and a website where it can be ordered. I would also like to know a website where I can order monoi oil.

What do you think about the S-curl No Drip Activator?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Millie_C said:
I definately need some suggestions. Could you recommend a good moisturizer and a website where it can be ordered. I would also like to know a website where I can order monoi oil.

What do you think about the S-curl No Drip Activator?

I love s-curl. I use it as a daily moisturizer when I wear my hair up. I like to spray it on and seal it in with oil.

Have you ever tried Elasta QP mango butter. It's an excellent moisturizer. Anyone know of a website to purchase. I buy mine at walmart.

Here is a website were you can get the monoi oil: http://www.tahiti-iti.com/monoi_oils.htm

beloved1

I have been using ORS Olive Oil as my daily moisturizer, followed by a concoction of oils (coconut, olive, jojoba, peppermint. . .) and it's working great. I'm going to check out the Elasta QP Mango Butter today. I've been using the s-curl, followed by the oil concoction on my daugthers' natural hair and it works well.

I'll be coming back to post my regime. I think I have it down, but I'm going to tweak it a little more and post before 04/11. I can say that my hair looks great since being on this board 1 month. It's so thick b/c I am at 8 weeks post-relaxer with no breakage or shedding (me, a 4a/4b with very tight, dry new growth that usually breaks at 5-6 wks!)

To all the other Newcomers- God Bless you on your Hair growing journey.

Last edited:

MSee

Thanks much DSD and Beloved1.

I'll purchase the S-Curl today (it will probably do my daughter good too), order the monoi and figure out where to get the Elasta QP mango butter.

jaded_faerie

I still consider myself new here and think this is a really great idea
Lori....

2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.
As of now i dont really have a regimen, i wash once a week, do daily washes, and wear in a protective style(bunned up with an afro piece over my ends)
But this well change at the End of this month when i plan on getting cornrow extensions from April-August. When I do so...i will sea breeze scalp once a week, grease scalp once a week, spray with braid spray every day and spray my scalp with surge. I will take out my braids at the end of each month, if they can last...

3) List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review.
shampoo: Nexxus Therappe, Nexxus Botanoil

Rinse: Nexxus Ensure

conditioner: Nexxus Humectress, Nexxus Keraphix

leave in conditoner: salerm 21, TIGI ego boost

deep conditioner: Salerm Wheat Germ Mask

moisturizer: Elasta QP mango butter, Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter

reconstructor treatment: nexxus EMERGENCÉ STRENGTHENING POLYMERIC RECONSTRUCTOR

clarifyer treatment: nexxus aloe rid gentle clarifying shampoo

hairline serum: nexxus Vitatress Biotin Creme

relaxer: motions, but my next relaxer i will be trying the phyto :)

my hair is permanently colored(high lights) 5 months ago, but i dont plan to put any color in my hair any time soon

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style?

no heat(direct or indirect) for a year is my goal, I will wear my hair in braids during the summer, and still have to decide what to do during the winter. February 2006 will make a year.

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?

I wear a phony afro...and it is very easy for me to do.

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share.

I dont think i need to really explain how to do my protective style...its really simple....i rinse my hair in the shower, and while its wet put it in a ponytail I then scurl or sta-sof-fro my ends, and add some hotsix oil, pin it up, and then add my phony afro puff over it.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.

I have found sta-sof-fro to be VERY good with moisturizing the new growth...my last relaxer was January 30th and dont know when my next one will be...so i am currently dealing with three textures(relaxed hair, underprocessed, and virgin hair)

Last edited:

carribslc

Due to the fact that some of these products were not within my price range, I made a couple corrections ...

List the products you've decided to use for your new regime.
a. Clarifying Shampoo - Suave Clarifying Shampoo
b. Routine Shampoo – Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather Shampoo, or Remedi
c. Deep Conditioning – Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner
d. Protein treatments (light and heavy) – Aubrey Organics GPB
e. Relaxer or texturizer – Luster’s Pink No-Lye Crème Relaxer
f. Reconstructors – Energizer Hair Follicle Stimulator [helps with my edges and breakage]
g. Daily Maintenance Care - I do daily conditioner washes with Suave Awapuhi Conditioner [Very good!!!]. Then, I smooth hair back with Remedi Fortify Leave-in Conditioner, Energizer, and an oil mix.

Choose one item and post a short product review.
The NTM Line is very good! I did an experiment with it in my Chem lab and it turned out to be the best in maintaining it's pH. All the junk we added to it [acids and bases] didn't have much effect to it. It's a very good product.

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Millie_C said:
Thanks much DSD and Beloved1.

I'll purchase the S-Curl today (it will probably do my daughter good too), order the monoi and figure out where to get the Elasta QP mango butter.
U R welcome!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
jaded_faerie said:
Lori....

As of now i dont really have a regimen, i wash once a week, do daily washes, and wear in a protective style(bunned up with an afro piece over my ends)
But this well change at the End of this month when i plan on getting cornrow extensions from April-August. When I do so...i will sea breeze scalp once a week, grease scalp once a week, spray with braid spray every day and spray my scalp with surge. I will take out my braids at the end of each month, if they can last...

shampoo: Nexxus Therappe, Nexxus Botanoil

Rinse: Nexxus Ensure

conditioner: Nexxus Humectress, Nexxus Keraphix

leave in conditoner: salerm 21, TIGI ego boost

deep conditioner: Salerm Wheat Germ Mask

moisturizer: Elasta QP mango butter, Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter

reconstructor treatment: nexxus EMERGENCÉ STRENGTHENING POLYMERIC RECONSTRUCTOR

clarifyer treatment: nexxus aloe rid gentle clarifying shampoo

hairline serum: nexxus Vitatress Biotin Creme

relaxer: motions, but my next relaxer i will be trying the phyto :)

my hair is permanently colored(high lights) 5 months ago, but i dont plan to put any color in my hair any time soon

no heat(direct or indirect) for a year is my goal, I will wear my hair in braids during the summer, and still have to decide what to do during the winter. February 2006 will make a year.

I wear a phony afro...and it is very easy for me to do.

I dont think i need to really explain how to do my protective style...its really simple....i rinse my hair in the shower, and while its wet put it in a ponytail I then scurl or sta-sof-fro my ends, and add some hotsix oil, pin it up, and then add my phony afro puff over it.

I have found sta-sof-fro to be VERY good with moisturizing the new growth...my last relaxer was January 30th and dont know when my next one will be...so i am currently dealing with three textures(relaxed hair, underprocessed, and virgin hair)
Welcome to the club! Braids are a great way to kick start that summer retention. Sounds like you have a good plan. Good Luck to you !

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
carribslc said:
Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.
I shampoo 2x a week. Every other week I’ll alternate between Remedi or NTM. For example:
Wednesday: preshampoo [honey, olive oil], shampoo [Remedi or NTM], deep conditioner [NTM], leave-ins [Remedi, an oil mix]
Saturday: preshampoo [honey, olive oil], shampoo [Remedi or NTM], deep conditioner [NTM], leave-ins [Remedi, an oil mix, NTM Shine Serum]

List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review.
a. Clarifying Shampoo – will be getting Suave Clarifying Shampoo
b. Routine Shampoo – Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather Shampoo, or Remedi
c. Deep Conditioning – Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner
d. Protein treatments (light and heavy) – will be getting Nexxus Emergencee
e. Relaxer or texturizer – Luster’s Pink No-Lye Crème Relaxer
f. Reconstructors – will be getting Nexxus Biotin Crème
g. Daily Maintenance Care - smooth hair back with Remedi Fortify Leave-in Conditioner and spray on Surge 14 G

If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon?
I don’t color my hair

Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style?
I don’t plan on using any form of heat, except for my steam rollers. I use Velcro rollers frequently to get a quick style.

What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?
My current protective styles are my “tie back black wrap” [tongue twister :)], and a phony pony. My hair is really short so I find it fairly difficult to find a protective style. You can’t wrap your hair everyday, and you can’t leave a phony pony in for a prolonged amount of time. So, yes, it is a challenge.

If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share.
a. You’ll need some kind of wrap. My wrap is a discarded shawl and it just happens to be black. It’s not silk, so in order to protect my hair, I wrap first with a silk wrap. Also have at hand two strong ponytail holders
b. To protect your ends, you might want to pin them up or put in the baggie method.
c. Place the wrap on top of your head, making sure that your head is in the center of the wrap. Push it as far as you want on your forehead. You can adjust it later.
d. Gather all the material at the nape of your neck as if you’re going to pull it into a ponytail [not too loose, not too tight]. Secure it with a ponytail holder.
e. Start twisting it around like you’re making a bun. When you run out of material hold on to the tip and kind of tuck it in out of the way. The second ponytail holder is optional, but I’ve found that I like feel more secure with it present. Put it in so that it secures the tip that you tucked in. Voila!

Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.
I smooth my hair back with Remedi Fortify Leave-in Conditioner and spray on some Surge 14. I also put some Remedi Conditioner on my edges [the front, sides and my kitchen]. I use a huge paddle brush and wide tooth combs [boar bristle brushes don’t approach my hair during this time]. Leave your hair alone! Don’t touch it if don’t have to, and don’t bother it. This isn’t the time for experimentation. I consider this PMS time for my hair … it should not be bothered with :). I usually wrap it up. At night, I wrap it up with a silk scarf and pop on my silk bonnet.
Wonderful! I think you will find with the proper hair care in a few months getting your hair into that phony pony won't be nearly as much of a challenge. Keep protecting those ends and your ponytail will be long enough to do plenty of other things before you know it!! Good Luck and HHG!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
beloved1 said:
I have been using ORS Olive Oil as my daily moisturizer, followed by a concoction of oils (coconut, olive, jojoba, peppermint. . .) and it's working great. I'm going to check out the Elasta QP Mango Butter today. I've been using the s-curl, followed by the oil concoction on my daugthers' natural hair and it works well.

I'll be coming back to post my regime. I think I have it down, but I'm going to tweak it a little more and post before 04/11. I can say that my hair looks great since being on this board 1 month. It's so thick b/c I am at 8 weeks post-relaxer with no breakage or shedding (me, a 4a/4b with very tight, dry new growth that usually breaks at 5-6 wks!)

We will be waiting for your update!! HHG

LoriLOCX

jaded_faerie said:
Lori....

Thanks jaded_faerie!!!!! :)
I'm new too.....and trying to figure out all this stuff for me as well. As DSD said....looks like you've got your plan down pat. Now, what'cha gonna do when you take out your braids? Gotta plan? Come on and share.

LoriLOCX

beloved1 said:

You go girl!!!!! And thanks for wishing everybody "good journey". No breakage??? Good for you....and I know you're gonna love the QP Mango Butter :yep:

senimoni

**It will be up to you to faithfully follow this regime, starting now. Post your hair results from following this new regime and share any good/bad/so-so experiences.

I think I will most likely have 2 regimes, one when I'm dealing with a lot of new growth and one after a relaxer.

My New Growth Regime is -
Sunday - Pre poo , Wash, Deep Condition
Wednesday - CO WASH (i've actually started a mild prepoo on CO washes and it has helped)
Friday- LONG Prepoo 2+ hours and wash and condition

*Clarifying Shampoo - Suave Clarifying Shampoo
*Routine Shampoo - CON Shampoo/NTM
*CO Wash - VO5 shampoo
*Deep Conditioning - ORS Hair Mayo/NTM ( Is this considered a light protein treatment)
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Keraphix/Emergencee (Don't have it yet)
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!)
*Reconstructors – Aphoghee 2 min reconstructor
*Daily Maintenance Care - Nightly Rotation -Shea Butter Spray/S Curl/ Oil Mix (Castor/EVOO/Coconut)
Morning Mix -NTM Leave in and serum mix in the morning and some shea butter

Thought I would add
*Prepoo - This varies, I change so many things I can't figure out what gives me the best result but I use a mixture of these things

EVOO/Coconut Oil/Castor Oi/Amla Oill (I wet my hair a little) also use Humectress.
I used coconut creme once....it was really pasty but my hair came out so shiny....I may try it again to see if that was why

I used a hot curler once in the last month. So can't really answer this.

OKay so I re-read the question - I have experimented with rollersetting....it was a hot mess, but the actual curls came out nice, so I will employ this method again, probably after my texturizer/relaxer.

This is a challenge...I feel like I look like a librarian, plus I have a big head :-( But I sport a ponytail/bun everyday. Sometimes in order to hold my sides in the ponytail I sorta french braid the sides going into the ponytail. My new thing is those little claws...but I haven't worn it out the house yet.

Challenges - I bought a ponytail, but my hair is thin and I feel like it pulls to much....part of the problem is I wear low ponytails....the high ones...just doesn't seem realistic b/c everyone knows how long my hair is. I have a fall,but taking it out is a pain....plus my hair isn't thick enough to cover the front like I would like. I really want a curly one but have yet to find a good one.

Hmm this is hard. I'm still working on it but I like to use Scurl and my shea butter spray on my new growth. OR I will use NTM leavin and some oil to seal it. I just part though and apply.

Something else I would add....I know it has been said here but...I don't know I guess I didn't quite get it until yesterday but I finally understand "LEAVE YOUR HAIR ALONE" if you have a certain way you want your hair parted..DO IT IN THE SHOWER. Part of my problem is I dont have a good detangler but in the shower I can comb away...I'm silky smooth :) But once I come out....its just ..it feels soft but, god forbid I try to move my part or comb through it again...its not that I can't get it through but...its just a mess. I have severe hand in hair disease...I'm obsessed with my newgrowth. I don't know if I found an underprocessed piece of hair or what but I was looking at my hair and I see where my root has looped around it self so upon examination i have curl......perm hair......loop de loop curl (like a rollercoaster)...i mean it looks just like the new growth but there is a good two inches separating it from the real new growth......strange

Last edited:

jaded_faerie

Thanks DSD....and Lori I most likely will either try to get a lacefront or continue to wear the corn row extensions...i know for a fact though, i will wear protective styles and i wont be wearing my hair down till May2006.

cafe au lait

I don't have my regime down yet as I am still waiting for my mizani neutralizing shampoo from America so I can finally relax my hair. I tell you, it's a pain that most of this products are not readily available to us here in the UK. I am at a stand still at the moment, I haven't combed my hair in days. my huge comb can only get the the very top bit,if I try to force comb it, it starts to break of or shed. the undergrowth is so thick since it has been 4 months since my last relaxer. I can't stand it my scalp need some air.

will my not combing my hair all this time cause damage to my hair when I eventually relax??

HHG

Boadicea

It's always a good idea to detangle your hair before a process whether it's just shampooing or relaxing.

Take you shower comb and wet your hair, then saturate it with conditioner. Part it in however many sections you need and gently take the comb from end to root to detangle your hair. Start with your largest comb and then decrease in size until that section is thoroughly detangled. You can even use your fingers. Use as much conditioner as is necessary.

But never force the comb through your hair. It's self-defeating. You can break, snag and snap otherwise healthy hair.

You can order large quantities from America and have them shipped to you so you know you will always have them in stock in your home. If you know you like a certain product and can't find it anywhere else, order two or three of them just so you'll have another when your first runs out.

Ok Ladies, I am very confused... :confused: I posted this thread before but I just done seem to get the difference between a reconstructer, deep conditioner, protein treatment, and hair masks. Can you use a regular conditioner as a deep conditioner? Or does the product have to be specifically a deep conditioner? Is a reconstructer used after a relaxer only? Because, I used a deep conditioner after my touch ups thinking that it was a reconstructer. Can someone please let me know and shed some light because I seriously have to re-evaluate my regimen. For all I know I may be missing an important staple. Thanks.

Missa

Hello. My hair is currently colored a meduim blond color and i am natural.

As of now i am using surge products the spray and the other moisturizer (can't think of the names right now). I use loreal wave and curl maker and Queene Helene Cholestoral condition gel love this stuff. I did go to the drugstore and just buy up a lot of curly hair products but i noticed my hair was flakying so i just went back to the Loreal and Queene Helene, I can't remember all the names right now i will write down all of the names tonight and get back and post them on the board.

As for conditoning i have been using Lekair cholestel conditioner, Suave Humecant and a few other of the Suave products, i also just started using the protectiv breakfree . But my hair still seems dry at times, and i have used a lot of products i just can't seem to get the right combo of products down with out going broke or having to search high low most of the products i see on the board have to be order and i would like to try the jessicurl pudding but i wonder if it's worth the price.
Can any of the other natural tell me what products they like best? I also just went on the NaturallyCurly site and am thinking of ordering some products from there website but i am not sure which ones are best?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
blessedangil03 said:
Ok Ladies, I am very confused... :confused: I posted this thread before but I just done seem to get the difference between a reconstructer, deep conditioner, protein treatment, and hair masks. Can you use a regular conditioner as a deep conditioner? Or does the product have to be specifically a deep conditioner? Is a reconstructer used after a relaxer only? Because, I used a deep conditioner after my touch ups thinking that it was a reconstructer. Can someone please let me know and shed some light because I seriously have to re-evaluate my regimen. For all I know I may be missing an important staple. Thanks.

Reconstructors are mainly used after chemical services e.g. relaxers and coloring.

Protein treatments help rebuild weak hair or can help keep it strong. They must be used in moderation though because they can have the opposite effect. There are light proteins like Aubrey Organics GPB and Nexxus Keraphix. These can be used on a weekly basis. The heavier proteins, Nexxus emergencee and aphogee etc. should not be used more than every six weeks.

Hair masks are concentrated forms of conditioners. They are usually made to use whenever a deep treatment is needed. I believe any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner if you apply heat or let it sit on your head for a good period of time. HTH

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Missa said:
Hello. My hair is currently colored a meduim blond color and i am natural.

As of now i am using surge products the spray and the other moisturizer (can't think of the names right now). I use loreal wave and curl maker and Queene Helene Cholestoral condition gel love this stuff. I did go to the drugstore and just buy up a lot of curly hair products but i noticed my hair was flakying so i just went back to the Loreal and Queene Helene, I can't remember all the names right now i will write down all of the names tonight and get back and post them on the board.

As for conditoning i have been using Lekair cholestel conditioner, Suave Humecant and a few other of the Suave products, i also just started using the protectiv breakfree . But my hair still seems dry at times, and i have used a lot of products i just can't seem to get the right combo of products down with out going broke or having to search high low most of the products i see on the board have to be order and i would like to try the jessicurl pudding but i wonder if it's worth the price.
Can any of the other natural tell me what products they like best? I also just went on the NaturallyCurly site and am thinking of ordering some products from there website but i am not sure which ones are best?

Welcome! :wave:

I don't know much about coloring but most people who have color have to work very hard to keep their strands moisturized.

I am not natural but I have heard some great review on the Curly pudding. The only drawback is the price. I know that natural ladies have recommended a replacement for the cp I just can't think of it right now.

Good Luck finding the products that work well with your hair. Hopefully some of the naturals will chime in soon and they can help you out. HHG

moda

2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific. Right now I have committed to use no heat. I had been conditioner washing and rollersetting daily, however, my hair was always damp. From now on (at least until it gets warm) I will wash/condition weekly, and where my hair in a braidout.

*Clarifying Shampoo - Have not decided
*Routine Shampoo - NTM
*Deep Conditioning - Lekair Cholesterol bi weekly, Hair Organics Hair Mayonnaise weeks I do not use Lekair
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Surge spray (worked wonders for my shedding)
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) Natural
*Reconstructors – n/a
*Daily Maintenance Care - NTM leave in, Black N Sassy heat sheen

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon? N/A
*What product(s) do you use?
*What is your color regime (i.e., when do you color, what is your regime to minimize damage, how often do you apply color…etc)

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style? No plans to use either anytime soon

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Bun, phony pony Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why? Easy to do, however, I hate buns on me, and I am too self conscious to wear the phony pony to work.

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share. Wash/condition hair, pull up into a ponytail on top of my head, place ends in baggie to maintain moisture all weekend, place drawstring pony on top of baggie.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth. Since I am natural, and my hair is really thick, my hair craves moisture, so I like to use a thick leave in cream.

bluwatersoul

Daily - surge scalp , light woojee cream, aveda brilliance for shine and moisture.
Weekly - deep condition with a leave in and heat. Wash and condition, and follow up with a leave in.

2-3x weekly - co wash, with a moisturizing conditioner and leave in.

I have been doing this for over a month - also stretching relaxer so its hard to tell results yet.

*Clarifying Shampoo - no shampoo, just a baking soda wash.

*Routine Shampoo - MNT, Aveda Sap Moss, or CON.

*Deep Conditioning - Salerm Wheat Germ, NTM hair mask, ORS Hair Mayo, and good ole EVOO.

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - light - Humectress. Heavy - Emergencee.

*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) Don't know yet. Looking for Phyto to try, as I am really curious.

*Daily Maintenance Care - Aveda brilliance, Surge spray and/or woojee cream, elasta mango butter or profectiv root stimulant when necessary.

to pick one product? hmmm, Aveda Sap Moss is a really good moisturizing shampoo for my hair. CON dosen't always moisturize for me like I felt it used to, but Aveda Sap Moss gives a rich lather and leaves my hair with alot of slip. Its expensive, so I use it every other week but it does my hair good.

I am also in love with Nexxus Humectress - when I wa snatural, it was my daily leave it and it moisturized my hair while helping tame frizzies and retain the curl pattern if the twists I had. Now, it gives my hair good slip and helps detangle and moisturize my ends.

no color

no heat, except for deep conditioning. I usually wear my hair back, and that won't change until I have some hair to style!

I put my own hair ino a "bun". Once in a blue moon when going out I will wear a drawstring ponytail that I really like. I don't have the nerve to wear it to work!

I find it easy to wear my hair this way, because I don't have to fool with it during the day and it looks good. I also work out during the day several days a week, and don't have to worry about the style when getting in and out of the gym.

To help stretch recently I had my daughter put some really nice cornrows in my hair. When I start taking pictures I will show my bun method - my hair is not shoulder length but the way I twist it really makes my hair look fuller than it is and also protects my ends.[/B]

I am struggling with some significant new growth that drinks moisture like an addict right now. I am 11 weeks post relaxer and trying to hold out an extra week but I dont think I will make it. What has helped has been using surge, wild growth oil and s curl on my new growth, olive oil, and regular conditioning treatments. Really, I am shocked that I have made it even THIS far.

That's where I am...each week I seem to find a new product to try or read some new info. Alot of it I have tried and some will stick, some probably won't. I wish I had found this board when I was still natural!! I loved my hair, it just didnt seem to grow. I am anxious to see where I can get by focusing my energies on healthy hair for a sustained period of ime. So far, so good. :)

the prize is the journey

Blu

FIRST MILESTONE:

pre-poo- as needed with coconut oil mixed with cheapy conditioner
Wash 1x a week ( creme of nature poo)( when the weather warms up I will also incorporate a weekly co-wash)
condition- mane 'n' tail deep moisturizing
deep condition- keracare humecto or motions cpr ( i'll rotate these two)
Heavy protein- every 4-6 weeks
Relax- every ten weeks (design essentials)
Daily- moisturize at least once daily with moisturizer and seal with oil

*Clarifying Shampoo - Herbal Essence Clarifying
*Routine Shampoo -Creme of Nature Moisturizing poo
*Deep Conditioning -Keracare humecto,
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Motions CPR (light), Aphogee (heavy)
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!)- Used Affirm in the past, will switch to design Essentials come next relaxer
*Reconstructors –need suggestions on this one
*Daily Maintenance Care -Elasta QP Mango Butter, wild growth oil (contemplating about switching to vitapointe and jojoba mixed with olive oil), I use S-curl when I wear braid-outs and bantus

*What product(s) do you use? I only use rinses in my hair, I usually rinse right after a relaxer when my hair is more porus, currently I have a brownish rinse in my hair, I get my rinses at the salon.
No specific color regimine, since its only a rinse
5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style? I plan to use heat when I deep condition and when I rollerset under the dryer. I usually use a leave-in when I rollerset ( my favorite leave-in is Sedal in the purple bottle). When i rollerset I usually wrap and wear my hair out for a week then i'm back to protective styles.

I absolutely love my phony pony, this is the easiest protective style for me. I also like bantu-knots and braid-outs they are more of a challenge but I know with practice I'll improve

My phony pony method:
1. I moisturize my dry or wet hair with Elasta Qp Mango Butter or CD HHB
2. pull hair into a pony tail
3. slather the ends of my hair with Mango Butter or HHB, folowed by WGO
4. Cover ends with baggie and secure
5. Attach phony pony and I'm good to go
Using S-curl no drip on new growth or CD HHB. I haven't tried this but I think CO- washing should also be great.

Last edited:

MSee

Here is what I'll try to work with for now.

1. I intend to conditioner wash my hair mid week with CON conditioner.

Weekly wash with CON shampoo with a little tee tree oil and deep condition with CON conditioner or Hollywood Beauty Olive oil cholesterol (or an avocado-when available) mixed with molasses peppermint and rosemary oil on saturdays .

Prepoo with either
a. honey mixed with castor and coconut oil and or EVOO
b. coconutmilk and lime

I think I will also do in between rinses with water only, when convenient.

2. After wash and cond. I will use African Pride leave in cond. (my hair loves this), a little oil and then air dry either
a. loose or
b. roller set with Lottabody setting lotion
(will use hooded dryer when in a rush)
c. use a little african pride castor and mink oil grease on hair, for added shine.

3. List of products
*Claryfying- Sulpher 8 or baking soda in cond.
*Light protein- perfective breakfree every 3 days
*Heavy protein/Reconstructors- Fresh Aloe vera, Aphogee 2min reconstructor
*relaxer- Revlon mild with 1 tablespoon olive oil but I hope to change to lady velvet.
*moisturizers- motions (to be discontinued), S-curl, Elasta QP mango butter (to be bought)
*oils- Nubian silk stimulating oil mix, coconut oil, castor oil, EVOO, monoi (to be bought)
*other products -porisity control and shampoo/conditioners mentioned above

4. No hair coloring (for now)
5/6. My hair is so short I will just try to use low maitntenance styles. I presently force a false bun or do a french roll but I'm not sure how good the hairpins are for my hair. When I roller set I enjoy the curls as long as they last (usually 1 dy)

7. French roll....
a. Put a part in the front.
b. Using the leave in and moisturizer, comb back hair and put 2 of the hair pins that are clip like (bobby pins?) up the back to keep the hair flat.
c. Curve the loose hair over those hair pins and keep in place with the hairpins that just push in. Smooth with a little setting lotion (or gel if preferred)
d. I hope the above makes sense

8. Just started s-curl and it works. I used the CON conditioner last night for the first time and combing was a breeze this morning. I also notice when I use avocado for deep conditioner with the lime and coconut prepoo (it doesn't work on its own) my new growth is manageable.