NEWCOMER'S GROWING OUT CLUB - The First Milestone

blissfullyblack

) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.

i'm at this difficult period where i'm stretching my relaxer but i'm also exercising several times a week. i realized that i can't do both and expect to wear my hair straight.

my plan is to give myself a weekly hot oil treatment, as well as shampoo and deep condition once a week. any other washes will be conditioner washes. i'm trying to use the bantu knot method so my hair will be wavy. i like how it turns out. i'm still figuring out how many days i can wear it before i need to rewet, as well not using ponytail holders b/c it's causing some breakage (and that defeats the purpose :)

3) List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review.
*Clarifying Shampoo - I am trying Fantasia IC Tea Tree Shampoo. I honestly can't tell you if it's working or not.
*Routine Shampoo - Nexxus Therappe. Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it. Did I mention I love it?
*Deep Conditioning - Nexxus Humectress. Love it, love...well you get the picture. My comb glides through my hair as happy as can be.
Conditoner Wash: (I added this) Creme of Nature Conditioner in purple bottle. I bought some Suave Humectant, but didn't like it. I felt like my hair and the comb were having a death match afterwards.
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor (light) and Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair. I'm having less shedding and breakage, but I also think the Nexxus helps as well.
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) Relaxer.
*Reconstructors – Ummm, would that also be the Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor?
*Daily Maintenance Care - I still use my old staples of pure Shea Butter and Fantasia IC Nighttime Oil Treatment. I've added Surge, twice a day. I'm also using Mango butter and so far I loves it. And it seems to love me too :)

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime?
Yes. I tried a roller set and let's just say it didn't work. I do plan to use my flat iron, BUT i can only use it once a week, if that. I have Fantasia IC Straightening Serum for heat protection. I tried Biosilk and it dried my hair out.

I usually throw my hair in a ponytail and let it airdry during the day or I sit under a soft bonnet dryer. I maintain my style by wrapping it every night. In terms of bantu knots, i just re-knotted at night.

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?
I occasionally sport a phony pony. But right now, I'm only brave enough to wear it at night. Otherwise, I tend to like my hair down.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.
I took DSD's advice and have been using coconut oil specifically on my new growth. I also use shea butter and mango butter on my entire head. i need to learn more about massaging my scalp and all that good stuff. right now, sadly, my scalp is pretty much on it's own.

missenm

Hello Ladies! Here are my responses:

2. Daily/Weekly Shampoo/Conditioning
Daily: Surge scalp twice, Spray leave-in on hair
Weekly: Shampoo & Deep Condition
3. Products
Clarifying Shampoo: Nexxus Aloe Rid
Routine Shampoo: Cream of Nature while wearing sewn in weave
Elucence
Deep Conditioning: Design Essentials Stimulating Conditioner or Elucence
Protein Treatments: ApHogee; although I plan to try Emergencee
Relaxer: My last relaxer was an Affirm but I am may switch to Design Essentials
Reconstructors: Keraphix
Daily Maintenance: Surge, NTM Serum, Design Essentials HCo Leave In
4. Color: N/A
5. Heat Use: I only plan to use heat for deep conditioning and roller sets when wearing my natural hair. While I am wearing the sewn in weave, I find it necessary to use a flat iron
6. Protective Styles:
Sewn In Weave
7. Step by Step Instructions:
Sorry; I went to a professional for my weave so I cannot provide any instructions.
8. Daily Moisturizing: When wearing my natural hair, I used S-curl and it made my new growth easier to comb and it also made all of my hair feel very moisturized. I usually use it with Mango Butter so I am sure that contributed.

cafe au lait

Hi everyone,I wanted to give an update on my hair. I relaxed my hair this morning with Mizani (regular) It was great as I didn't get much breakage/shedding and no scalp burns. I left the relaxer on for 14 mins, washed it off and followed with my aussie 3 minute miracle reconstructor, then neutralizing shampoo followed by ensure acidifying conditioner. trimmed my weak ends. my hair and scalp feels great and I am happy as now I can use my hair products and get an accurate measurement on my hair.

My regime will be, relaxing my hair every 16 weeks or longer if I can.
My hair steamer comes next week so I will be steaming my hair weekly with these products; nexxus keraphix,humectress,nioxin bionutrients protectives scalp therapy. etc

my shampoos are : nexxus assure, aussie moist, mazani puriphying, mazani phormula 7, nexxus dandarrest dandruff, nioxin scalp cleanser etc

my conditioners; mazani moisturefuse, nexxus ensure, sebastian potion 9, aveda elixir, aussie 3 minute miracle, etc

nexxus biotin creme, ORS hair mayonaise, nexxus emergencee, castor oil, avocado oil.

I am currently eating proteinous foods, 2 eggs everyday (a must) replaced dairy with soya, alot of mackerel, salmon, chicken, shrimps, prawns, vegetables, 500ml of fresh carrot juice daily, 200ml tomato juice, 31/2 -4 litres of evian water daily and my vitamins.

hopefully one of these will help me grow healthier, longer hair. time will tell.
I wish everyone goodluck.HHG

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
You guys are so organized with this Newcomer's Growing Out Club!

Anyway, here are my responses to this thread:

My daily routine in keeping my hair in a bun. I was doing braidouts but my relaxed ends make my hair look thin/stringy so I will be keeping my hair up from now on. As needed throughout the week, I will moisturize with S-Curl and apply Citre Shine gel over my edges and hair exposed. Each weekend (Friday night or Sat) I will clarify and condition my hair. Results so far have been good because it allows me to leave my hair alone even though this style can get boring from wearing it all the time. I'm just gonna try and stick with it.

Products for my new regime:
*Clarifying Shampoo - Suave Clarifying
*Routine Shampoo - Elasta Qp Bodifying
*Deep Conditioning - LeKair Cholesterol Plus for right now, I plan on getting a different one once I run out if this one
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - I use to use ElastaQP Breakage Control Serum, I do not plan on using protein treatments on my hair anymore, they do the same thing to my hair as conditioners
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) No longer relaxing, transitioning to natural
*Reconstructors – None
*Daily Maintenance Care - S-Curl and Citre Shine Gel

Right now, I am not using heat. If I want to wear my hair down, whenever that may be, I will blowdry my hair and use the Maxiglide or do a airdry rollerset and Maxiglide my roots. This will probably be once every 2-3 months or more.

My protective style is the bun. I have received several helpful tips from Chicoro. The main thing to get a nice bun is to detangle very very well before putting your hair in a bun if you want your hair to look decent. So after each wash, I will detangle my hair in four sections and spray my Motions Nourish leave-in to help detangle each section. After I detangle each section, I will smooth my edges, sides, and nape area with S-Curl and Citre Shine Gel and a boar bristle brush, then I'll put my hair in a ponytail. I will soak the ponytail with S-Curl and Suave Humectant, then twirl it in a bun. I will use weave to cover the bun. :antlers:

Last edited:

sugarsweet

2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.

- Well I have decided to keep it very simple I am going to wash bi weekly
with parnevu reg. shampoo it is claifying so I might do it every three weeks
w/ cw in between.

- Add (silk elements moisturizing and or Clairol Vitapointe conditioner <-new
to my routine after I wash my hair and braid to air dry

- Then smooth and wrap up at night.

- I will oil my hair as needed as well w/ parnevu or wgo

3) List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review.

*Clarifying Shampoo -

Parnevu it is excellent it seems to improve my texture every time I use it. does not lather up but will make hair very clean.

*Routine Shampoo -

every 2-3 weeks

*Deep Conditioning -

parnevu hair mayonasie very good for moisture and strength

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) -

my conditioners have protien in them so I will not be using any at this time

*Reconstructors –

ion reconstructor and or rorosity control <- new (for now if needed)

*Daily Maintenance Care -

oil and braid hair at night braid out s and up dos during the day

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often?
flat iron once every three mos.

What do you use for thermal protection?

-I will use mega Hz as a thermal heat protectant.

How do you maintain your style?

-at night smooth hair back wrap it up w/ rollers at the end

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any?

-I use the baggie method sometimes and braid outs but not often.

Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?

- Yes and No yes because I am good at mimicing hair styles NO b/c I don't know that many protective styles and I am board with two that I know. before I came to the LHCF all I did was use heat and it is a challenge for me not to use heat more so itn the winter b/c I can't wash and go.

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share.

BRAID OUTS

1.) wash as usual or wet hair

2.) towel dry hair to where it is not dripping wet

3.) section hair into 3's

4.) make as many sections in that section as you want part add favorite
moisturizer or conditioner and braid repeat until that section is done and
move to next section until finished.

5.) because I have fine hair and it doesn't really curl at the ends I add my
favorite oil or conditioner at the end and tie it of with a rubberband or a
satin ribbon

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.

spray hair with distilled water then add parnevu oil mosturizer or clairol vtapointe.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
cincybrownsugar said:
2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific. Right now I have committed to use no heat. I had been conditioner washing and rollersetting daily, however, my hair was always damp. From now on (at least until it gets warm) I will wash/condition weekly, and where my hair in a braidout.

*Clarifying Shampoo - Have not decided
*Routine Shampoo - NTM
*Deep Conditioning - Lekair Cholesterol bi weekly, Hair Organics Hair Mayonnaise weeks I do not use Lekair
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Surge spray (worked wonders for my shedding)
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) Natural
*Reconstructors – n/a
*Daily Maintenance Care - NTM leave in, Black N Sassy heat sheen

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon? N/A
*What product(s) do you use?
*What is your color regime (i.e., when do you color, what is your regime to minimize damage, how often do you apply color…etc)

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style? No plans to use either anytime soon

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Bun, phony pony Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why? Easy to do, however, I hate buns on me, and I am too self conscious to wear the phony pony to work.

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share. Wash/condition hair, pull up into a ponytail on top of my head, place ends in baggie to maintain moisture all weekend, place drawstring pony on top of baggie.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth. Since I am natural, and my hair is really thick, my hair craves moisture, so I like to use a thick leave in cream.
Congrats on choosing the no heat method. You will be suprised how much length you retain by cutting heat out of your regemin. I see that you are a little self conscious about wearing the phony. That's normal. Everyone is. If you still want to try, wear one out somewhere like to dinner or the mall and see how it feels. Gradually work you way up. The more you wear it the more comfortable you will feel. Keep in mind, everyone wears them so it is not like you will stand out like a sore thumb!;)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
bluwatersoul said:
2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.

Daily - surge scalp , light woojee cream, aveda brilliance for shine and moisture.
Weekly - deep condition with a leave in and heat. Wash and condition, and follow up with a leave in.

2-3x weekly - co wash, with a moisturizing conditioner and leave in.

I have been doing this for over a month - also stretching relaxer so its hard to tell results yet.

*Clarifying Shampoo - no shampoo, just a baking soda wash.

*Routine Shampoo - MNT, Aveda Sap Moss, or CON.

*Deep Conditioning - Salerm Wheat Germ, NTM hair mask, ORS Hair Mayo, and good ole EVOO.

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - light - Humectress. Heavy - Emergencee.

*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) Don't know yet. Looking for Phyto to try, as I am really curious.

*Daily Maintenance Care - Aveda brilliance, Surge spray and/or woojee cream, elasta mango butter or profectiv root stimulant when necessary.

to pick one product? hmmm, Aveda Sap Moss is a really good moisturizing shampoo for my hair. CON dosen't always moisturize for me like I felt it used to, but Aveda Sap Moss gives a rich lather and leaves my hair with alot of slip. Its expensive, so I use it every other week but it does my hair good.

I am also in love with Nexxus Humectress - when I wa snatural, it was my daily leave it and it moisturized my hair while helping tame frizzies and retain the curl pattern if the twists I had. Now, it gives my hair good slip and helps detangle and moisturize my ends.

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon?

no color

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style?

no heat, except for deep conditioning. I usually wear my hair back, and that won't change until I have some hair to style!

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?

I put my own hair ino a "bun". Once in a blue moon when going out I will wear a drawstring ponytail that I really like. I don't have the nerve to wear it to work!

I find it easy to wear my hair this way, because I don't have to fool with it during the day and it looks good. I also work out during the day several days a week, and don't have to worry about the style when getting in and out of the gym.

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share.

To help stretch recently I had my daughter put some really nice cornrows in my hair. When I start taking pictures I will show my bun method - my hair is not shoulder length but the way I twist it really makes my hair look fuller than it is and also protects my ends.[/B]

I am struggling with some significant new growth that drinks moisture like an addict right now. I am 11 weeks post relaxer and trying to hold out an extra week but I dont think I will make it. What has helped has been using surge, wild growth oil and s curl on my new growth, olive oil, and regular conditioning treatments. Really, I am shocked that I have made it even THIS far.

That's where I am...each week I seem to find a new product to try or read some new info. Alot of it I have tried and some will stick, some probably won't. I wish I had found this board when I was still natural!! I loved my hair, it just didnt seem to grow. I am anxious to see where I can get by focusing my energies on healthy hair for a sustained period of ime. So far, so good. :)

the prize is the journey

Blu

Wonderful! It's sounds like you have your routine under your belt. Congrats on making it to 11 weeks post. That a feat!! You go girl! It's hard staying away from all the new products being raved about on the board. I am glad you know that some will work and some will not. I believe that with all the tlc your hair is getting you will have longer, stronger, healthier hair in no time at all!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
IntelligenceisBeautiful said:
FIRST MILESTONE:
----------------------------------

**It will be up to you to faithfully follow this regime, starting now. Post your hair results from following this new regime and share any good/bad/so-so experiences.
pre-poo- as needed with coconut oil mixed with cheapy conditioner
Wash 1x a week ( creme of nature poo)( when the weather warms up I will also incorporate a weekly co-wash)
condition- mane 'n' tail deep moisturizing
deep condition- keracare humecto or motions cpr ( i'll rotate these two)
Heavy protein- every 4-6 weeks
Relax- every ten weeks (design essentials)
Daily- moisturize at least once daily with moisturizer and seal with oil

*Clarifying Shampoo - Herbal Essence Clarifying
*Routine Shampoo -Creme of Nature Moisturizing poo
*Deep Conditioning -Keracare humecto,
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Motions CPR (light), Aphogee (heavy)
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!)- Used Affirm in the past, will switch to design Essentials come next relaxer
*Reconstructors –need suggestions on this one
*Daily Maintenance Care -Elasta QP Mango Butter, wild growth oil (contemplating about switching to vitapointe and jojoba mixed with olive oil), I use S-curl when I wear braid-outs and bantus

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon?
*What product(s) do you use? I only use rinses in my hair, I usually rinse right after a relaxer when my hair is more porus, currently I have a brownish rinse in my hair, I get my rinses at the salon.
*What is your color regime (i.e., when do you color, what is your regime to minimize damage, how often do you apply color…etc)
No specific color regimine, since its only a rinse
5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style? I plan to use heat when I deep condition and when I rollerset under the dryer. I usually use a leave-in when I rollerset ( my favorite leave-in is Sedal in the purple bottle). When i rollerset I usually wrap and wear my hair out for a week then i'm back to protective styles.

I absolutely love my phony pony, this is the easiest protective style for me. I also like bantu-knots and braid-outs they are more of a challenge but I know with practice I'll improve

My phony pony method:
1. I moisturize my dry or wet hair with Elasta Qp Mango Butter or CD HHB
2. pull hair into a pony tail
3. slather the ends of my hair with Mango Butter or HHB, folowed by WGO
4. Cover ends with baggie and secure
5. Attach phony pony and I'm good to go
Using S-curl no drip on new growth or CD HHB. I haven't tried this but I think CO- washing should also be great.
You are on it!! The s-curl and HHB are 2 of my staple products. I have been using them for quite some time. They are wonderful for smoothing out the newgrowth and helping stretch those relaxers.

In the beginning, I also wore the phonies over a baggie faithfully. That's what helped my reach my first goal of shoulder length. If you can continue to do this the length retention will be amazing. Good Luck to you!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Millie_C said:
Here is what I'll try to work with for now.

1. I intend to conditioner wash my hair mid week with CON conditioner.

Weekly wash with CON shampoo with a little tee tree oil and deep condition with CON conditioner or Hollywood Beauty Olive oil cholesterol (or an avocado-when available) mixed with molasses peppermint and rosemary oil on saturdays .

Prepoo with either
a. honey mixed with castor and coconut oil and or EVOO
b. coconutmilk and lime

I think I will also do in between rinses with water only, when convenient.

2. After wash and cond. I will use African Pride leave in cond. (my hair loves this), a little oil and then air dry either
a. loose or
b. roller set with Lottabody setting lotion
(will use hooded dryer when in a rush)
c. use a little african pride castor and mink oil grease on hair, for added shine.

3. List of products
*Claryfying- Sulpher 8 or baking soda in cond.
*Light protein- perfective breakfree every 3 days
*Heavy protein/Reconstructors- Fresh Aloe vera, Aphogee 2min reconstructor
*relaxer- Revlon mild with 1 tablespoon olive oil but I hope to change to lady velvet.
*moisturizers- motions (to be discontinued), S-curl, Elasta QP mango butter (to be bought)
*oils- Nubian silk stimulating oil mix, coconut oil, castor oil, EVOO, monoi (to be bought)
*other products -porisity control and shampoo/conditioners mentioned above

4. No hair coloring (for now)
5/6. My hair is so short I will just try to use low maitntenance styles. I presently force a false bun or do a french roll but I'm not sure how good the hairpins are for my hair. When I roller set I enjoy the curls as long as they last (usually 1 dy)

7. French roll....
a. Put a part in the front.
b. Using the leave in and moisturizer, comb back hair and put 2 of the hair pins that are clip like (bobby pins?) up the back to keep the hair flat.
c. Curve the loose hair over those hair pins and keep in place with the hairpins that just push in. Smooth with a little setting lotion (or gel if preferred)
d. I hope the above makes sense

8. Just started s-curl and it works. I used the CON conditioner last night for the first time and combing was a breeze this morning. I also notice when I use avocado for deep conditioner with the lime and coconut prepoo (it doesn't work on its own) my new growth is manageable.
Everything sounds great!! As far as the pins for your buns and frenchrolls just as long as you use pins that are well coated on the ends you should be just fine. Good Luck to you!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
blissfullyblack said:
) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.

i'm at this difficult period where i'm stretching my relaxer but i'm also exercising several times a week. i realized that i can't do both and expect to wear my hair straight.

my plan is to give myself a weekly hot oil treatment, as well as shampoo and deep condition once a week. any other washes will be conditioner washes. i'm trying to use the bantu knot method so my hair will be wavy. i like how it turns out. i'm still figuring out how many days i can wear it before i need to rewet, as well not using ponytail holders b/c it's causing some breakage (and that defeats the purpose :)

*Clarifying Shampoo - I am trying Fantasia IC Tea Tree Shampoo. I honestly can't tell you if it's working or not.
*Routine Shampoo - Nexxus Therappe. Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it. Did I mention I love it?
*Deep Conditioning - Nexxus Humectress. Love it, love...well you get the picture. My comb glides through my hair as happy as can be.
Conditoner Wash: (I added this) Creme of Nature Conditioner in purple bottle. I bought some Suave Humectant, but didn't like it. I felt like my hair and the comb were having a death match afterwards.
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor (light) and Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair. I'm having less shedding and breakage, but I also think the Nexxus helps as well.
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) Relaxer.
*Reconstructors – Ummm, would that also be the Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor?
*Daily Maintenance Care - I still use my old staples of pure Shea Butter and Fantasia IC Nighttime Oil Treatment. I've added Surge, twice a day. I'm also using Mango butter and so far I loves it. And it seems to love me too :)

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime?
Yes. I tried a roller set and let's just say it didn't work. I do plan to use my flat iron, BUT i can only use it once a week, if that. I have Fantasia IC Straightening Serum for heat protection. I tried Biosilk and it dried my hair out.

I usually throw my hair in a ponytail and let it airdry during the day or I sit under a soft bonnet dryer. I maintain my style by wrapping it every night. In terms of bantu knots, i just re-knotted at night.

I occasionally sport a phony pony. But right now, I'm only brave enough to wear it at night. Otherwise, I tend to like my hair down.

I took DSD's advice and have been using coconut oil specifically on my new growth. I also use shea butter and mango butter on my entire head. i need to learn more about massaging my scalp and all that good stuff. right now, sadly, my scalp is pretty much on it's own.
No ma'am you can't exercise several days a week and still wear your hair straight. I am glad the bantu knots are working for you. When I wear them, I just remoisturize every night and loosely knot them again. I love that style. It is so easy to do and maintain.

I want to ask, what type of ponytail holders are you using? They shouldn't be causing breakage. Also try soaking the ponytail holders in oil so they won't dry your hair out in that spot. This should alleviate the breakage.

Keep trying the rollersets. Remember practice makes perfect. I couldn't rollerset worth flip in the beginning. Now I am pretty good at it!

How it the coconut oil working for you?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
missenm said:
Hello Ladies! Here are my responses:

2. Daily/Weekly Shampoo/Conditioning
Daily: Surge scalp twice, Spray leave-in on hair
Weekly: Shampoo & Deep Condition
3. Products
Clarifying Shampoo: Nexxus Aloe Rid
Routine Shampoo: Cream of Nature while wearing sewn in weave
Elucence
Deep Conditioning: Design Essentials Stimulating Conditioner or Elucence
Protein Treatments: ApHogee; although I plan to try Emergencee
Relaxer: My last relaxer was an Affirm but I am may switch to Design Essentials
Reconstructors: Keraphix
Daily Maintenance: Surge, NTM Serum, Design Essentials HCo Leave In
4. Color: N/A
5. Heat Use: I only plan to use heat for deep conditioning and roller sets when wearing my natural hair. While I am wearing the sewn in weave, I find it necessary to use a flat iron
6. Protective Styles:
Sewn In Weave
7. Step by Step Instructions:
Sorry; I went to a professional for my weave so I cannot provide any instructions.
8. Daily Moisturizing: When wearing my natural hair, I used S-curl and it made my new growth easier to comb and it also made all of my hair feel very moisturized. I usually use it with Mango Butter so I am sure that contributed.
Isn't s-curl da bomb on relaxed hair. I swear by it and use it almost daily. When you take that weave out you are going to have massive growth, especially since you use the Surge. Good Luck to you!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
cafe au lait said:
Hi everyone,I wanted to give an update on my hair. I relaxed my hair this morning with Mizani (regular) It was great as I didn't get much breakage/shedding and no scalp burns. I left the relaxer on for 14 mins, washed it off and followed with my aussie 3 minute miracle reconstructor, then neutralizing shampoo followed by ensure acidifying conditioner. trimmed my weak ends. my hair and scalp feels great and I am happy as now I can use my hair products and get an accurate measurement on my hair.

My regime will be, relaxing my hair every 16 weeks or longer if I can.
My hair steamer comes next week so I will be steaming my hair weekly with these products; nexxus keraphix,humectress,nioxin bionutrients protectives scalp therapy. etc

my shampoos are : nexxus assure, aussie moist, mazani puriphying, mazani phormula 7, nexxus dandarrest dandruff, nioxin scalp cleanser etc

my conditioners; mazani moisturefuse, nexxus ensure, sebastian potion 9, aveda elixir, aussie 3 minute miracle, etc

nexxus biotin creme, ORS hair mayonaise, nexxus emergencee, castor oil, avocado oil.

I am currently eating proteinous foods, 2 eggs everyday (a must) replaced dairy with soya, alot of mackerel, salmon, chicken, shrimps, prawns, vegetables, 500ml of fresh carrot juice daily, 200ml tomato juice, 31/2 -4 litres of evian water daily and my vitamins.

hopefully one of these will help me grow healthier, longer hair. time will tell.
I wish everyone goodluck.HHG
I am glad your relaxer turned out great!!

You have the diet and the routine down. Protein is supposed to be wonderful for increasing hair growth too! Good Luck to you!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Poohbear said:
You guys are so organized with this Newcomer's Growing Out Club!

Anyway, here are my responses to this thread:

My daily routine in keeping my hair in a bun. I was doing braidouts but my relaxed ends make my hair look thin/stringy so I will be keeping my hair up from now on. As needed throughout the week, I will moisturize with S-Curl and apply Citre Shine gel over my edges and hair exposed. Each weekend (Friday night or Sat) I will clarify and condition my hair. Results so far have been good because it allows me to leave my hair alone even though this style can get boring from wearing it all the time. I'm just gonna try and stick with it.

Products for my new regime:
*Clarifying Shampoo - Suave Clarifying
*Routine Shampoo - Elasta Qp Bodifying
*Deep Conditioning - LeKair Cholesterol Plus for right now, I plan on getting a different one once I run out if this one
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - I use to use ElastaQP Breakage Control Serum, I do not plan on using protein treatments on my hair anymore, they do the same thing to my hair as conditioners
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) No longer relaxing, transitioning to natural
*Reconstructors – None
*Daily Maintenance Care - S-Curl and Citre Shine Gel

Right now, I am not using heat. If I want to wear my hair down, whenever that may be, I will blowdry my hair and use the Maxiglide or do a airdry rollerset and Maxiglide my roots. This will probably be once every 2-3 months or more.

My protective style is the bun. I have received several helpful tips from Chicoro. The main thing to get a nice bun is to detangle very very well before putting your hair in a bun if you want your hair to look decent. So after each wash, I will detangle my hair in four sections and spray my Motions Nourish leave-in to help detangle each section. After I detangle each section, I will smooth my edges, sides, and nape area with S-Curl and Citre Shine Gel and a boar bristle brush, then I'll put my hair in a ponytail. I will soak the ponytail with S-Curl and Suave Humectant, then twirl it in a bun. I will use weave to cover the bun. :antlers:
Thanks Poohbear! I know that transitioning can be extremely hard. I have been there done that. Not manipulation the hair often is the key especially as the natural hair gets longer. Do mini trims ever now and then and keep your hair in buns until you get comfortable enough to cut the rest of the relaxed hair off. You are doing quite well and the up's and down's about cutting are very natural. Just stick with the above routine and you should be fine. HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
sugarsweet said:

- Well I have decided to keep it very simple I am going to wash bi weekly
with parnevu reg. shampoo it is claifying so I might do it every three weeks
w/ cw in between.

- Add (silk elements moisturizing and or Clairol Vitapointe conditioner <-new
to my routine after I wash my hair and braid to air dry

- Then smooth and wrap up at night.

- I will oil my hair as needed as well w/ parnevu or wgo

*Clarifying Shampoo -

Parnevu it is excellent it seems to improve my texture every time I use it. does not lather up but will make hair very clean.

*Routine Shampoo -

every 2-3 weeks

*Deep Conditioning -

parnevu hair mayonasie very good for moisture and strength

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) -

my conditioners have protien in them so I will not be using any at this time

*Reconstructors –

ion reconstructor and or rorosity control <- new (for now if needed)

*Daily Maintenance Care -

oil and braid hair at night braid out s and up dos during the day

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often?
flat iron once every three mos.

What do you use for thermal protection?

-I will use mega Hz as a thermal heat protectant.

How do you maintain your style?

-at night smooth hair back wrap it up w/ rollers at the end

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any?

-I use the baggie method sometimes and braid outs but not often.

Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?

- Yes and No yes because I am good at mimicing hair styles NO b/c I don't know that many protective styles and I am board with two that I know. before I came to the LHCF all I did was use heat and it is a challenge for me not to use heat more so itn the winter b/c I can't wash and go.

BRAID OUTS

1.) wash as usual or wet hair

2.) towel dry hair to where it is not dripping wet

3.) section hair into 3's

4.) make as many sections in that section as you want part add favorite
moisturizer or conditioner and braid repeat until that section is done and
move to next section until finished.

5.) because I have fine hair and it doesn't really curl at the ends I add my
favorite oil or conditioner at the end and tie it of with a rubberband or a
satin ribbon

spray hair with distilled water then add parnevu oil mosturizer or clairol vtapointe.
Be extra careful with those rubber bands, please. Keeping it simple is a very good idea. I find that less is more when it comes to hair care. When we do too much sometimes it backfires. Our hair like consistency more than a lot of products and manipulation.

Braid outs can be considered a semi protective style because it keeps the hair from rubbing and scraping against things. Also because of the low or no manipulation while wearing it. A full protective style would keep the ends of the hair tucked away from the air and elements keeping them drying out.

Atiramisu

MOISTURIZING: I moisturize my hair everyday with moisturizing leave-ins: Nexxus Humectress, NTM Silk Leave-in and Elasta QP Oil Recovery. After washing and letting my hair airdry, I use Humectress and comb it through at my roots, the same way I might use hair grease (back in the day). After the leave-in, I follow up with a little bit of Nexxus Botanic Oil and I make sure my ends are well-oiled – not greasy, but well-oiled.

SHAMPOOING: I shampoo my hair 2x per week and deep condition. I have achieved incredible slip with Mane N’ Tail Extra Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, but what I’ve found is the two products MUST go together for this to happen. If I use this duo, my hair texture is incredibly manageable and I barely need a detangler or anything else afterwards.

QUESTION: Is it ok to do a deep condition (under the dryer) FIRST before doing the MNT duo? I have sooo many conditioners and products I’d like to use up and this would allow me to do a deep condition with the other stuff and always follow up with the MNT duo last. (I have far more conditioners/treatments than shampoos.)

AIR DRYING: After washing, I usually wrap my hair and let it airdry until the next morning. Occasionally, I will let it dry 75% of the way, followed by a blow dry on the coolest setting. My hair comes out very straight and I’ve been pleased with it – It all works out as long as the final products used provide excellent slip – So far, MNT is the only duo I’ve found that does EXACTLY what I want it to do.

*Clarifying Shampoo - I’ve only purchased Suave’s Clarifying and it wasn’t good or bad, just ok.

*Routine Shampoo - I rotate with Nexxus Therappe and MNT Extra Moisturizing Shampoo

*Deep Conditioning - I am an official PJ and I’ve purchased different products in search of the right ones. So far, I have the following: Dudley Protein Conditioner, Keracare Moisturizing Conditioner, Aveda Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate, ION Moisturizing Treatment Hydrating Masque, Pantene Treatments, Silk Elements Cholesterol

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Mane N’ Tail Conditioner (as a leave-in, but not daily); I rotate either Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor and Aveda Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate – every 5th shampoo or so. The Aveda Concentrate is a pre-shampoo treatment.

*Relaxer or texturizer - I see a stylist and use Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System. I really paid attention to my stylist’s technique during my last re-touch and she was really good about applying the relaxer to the new growth only. (I looked at other stylists’ clients in the same salon who had relaxer applied all the way to the ends of their hair – in spikes! (I just shook my head quietly to myself since I know better now!) :naughty:

*Reconstructors – I only use lightweight reconstructors – I’m too afraid to pull out the big guns on my own.

*Daily Maintenance Care - I try not to use a lot of heating appliances, and I wear my hair straight slightly curled under. I’d like to start using satin-covered rollers so I can get away from using the curling iron. (I use a curling iron about 3 days a week.)

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon? No Color.

5) Do you plan to use heat, roller sets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style? --- I am curious about the steam roller sets and the flat iron – which appears to offer a glossy straight look – I would love to know more about how to achieve this look so I can quit using my curling iron altogether.

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why? --- Protective styles are a challenge for me because I’m not a ponytail wearer and I don’t want to wear extensions or hairpieces. I want to grow my hair out to where it is long enough to easily achieve a pinned up look – but I have a way to go.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth. --- I use Nexxus Humectress on my new growth. It doesn’t leave an oily buildup on my scalp and really softens my new growth when I’m nearing my 6th or 7th week before my retouch. I use oil to keep my ends moistened – ultimately, if my hair texture feels silky and conditioned, I feel as if I’ve achieved the softness needed so it won’t dry out and break off.

STYLE/PRODUCT QUESTIONS:
a.) I can't find Elasta QP Mango Butter anywhere! I've been to Walgreen's, CVS, Sally's, Wal-Mart -- No luck. I called Elasta's customer service, but didn't receive an answer yet.
b.) I'm also looking for Salerm21 and Salerm Wheat Germ Mask -- any help with locating it would be appreciated!
c.) Can we re-post the directions for Bantu Knots? I'd like to try it, both for style and for air drying.

missenm

Hi Ladies!!! I have a question and any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would like to increase my protein intake and I have trouble finding foods I like with a significant amount of protein in them. Any suggestions? I am trying the shake thing but it's a task for me and I have to mix it with an instant breakfast shake just to be able to digest it. I am also trying the bar thing, but it tastes like air. The Snickers marthon protein performance bar has 26g of protein but I can't seem to eat more than 2 bites. So, does anyone have any suggestions for yummy, protein rich foods? Thanks!

missenm

Hi Atiramisu!

I recently purchased the Salerm Wheat Germ and Salerm 21 from www.sickbay.biz. I do not know how you feel about internet purchases but I have ordered from them twice and I have not had any problems. I plan to order from them again and I would suggest them to anyone. They also carry the Lacio Lacio that a few forum members rave about.
Hope this helps!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
dontspeakdefeat said:
Thanks Poohbear! I know that transitioning can be extremely hard. I have been there done that. Not manipulation the hair often is the key especially as the natural hair gets longer. Do mini trims ever now and then and keep your hair in buns until you get comfortable enough to cut the rest of the relaxed hair off. You are doing quite well and the up's and down's about cutting are very natural. Just stick with the above routine and you should be fine. HHG
Thanks for the advice DSD!!! :kiss: Now, I've thought about alternating each week between bunning and rollersetting. Since I found a way that both work for me now, I just thought that it would be better if I give my hair a rest from the bun sometimes and do a rollerset, so it will be less stressful on my hair. Even though rollersets are more manipulation, I will only be messing with my hair that one time during my wash day, and then throughout the week, I will leave my curls alone. :yep: How does that plan sound? :grin:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Atiramisu said:

MOISTURIZING: I moisturize my hair everyday with moisturizing leave-ins: Nexxus Humectress, NTM Silk Leave-in and Elasta QP Oil Recovery. After washing and letting my hair airdry, I use Humectress and comb it through at my roots, the same way I might use hair grease (back in the day). After the leave-in, I follow up with a little bit of Nexxus Botanic Oil and I make sure my ends are well-oiled – not greasy, but well-oiled.

SHAMPOOING: I shampoo my hair 2x per week and deep condition. I have achieved incredible slip with Mane N’ Tail Extra Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, but what I’ve found is the two products MUST go together for this to happen. If I use this duo, my hair texture is incredibly manageable and I barely need a detangler or anything else afterwards.

QUESTION: Is it ok to do a deep condition (under the dryer) FIRST before doing the MNT duo? I have sooo many conditioners and products I’d like to use up and this would allow me to do a deep condition with the other stuff and always follow up with the MNT duo last. (I have far more conditioners/treatments than shampoos.)

AIR DRYING: After washing, I usually wrap my hair and let it airdry until the next morning. Occasionally, I will let it dry 75% of the way, followed by a blow dry on the coolest setting. My hair comes out very straight and I’ve been pleased with it – It all works out as long as the final products used provide excellent slip – So far, MNT is the only duo I’ve found that does EXACTLY what I want it to do.

*Clarifying Shampoo - I’ve only purchased Suave’s Clarifying and it wasn’t good or bad, just ok.

*Routine Shampoo - I rotate with Nexxus Therappe and MNT Extra Moisturizing Shampoo

*Deep Conditioning - I am an official PJ and I’ve purchased different products in search of the right ones. So far, I have the following: Dudley Protein Conditioner, Keracare Moisturizing Conditioner, Aveda Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate, ION Moisturizing Treatment Hydrating Masque, Pantene Treatments, Silk Elements Cholesterol

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - Mane N’ Tail Conditioner (as a leave-in, but not daily); I rotate either Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor and Aveda Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate – every 5th shampoo or so. The Aveda Concentrate is a pre-shampoo treatment.

*Relaxer or texturizer - I see a stylist and use Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System. I really paid attention to my stylist’s technique during my last re-touch and she was really good about applying the relaxer to the new growth only. (I looked at other stylists’ clients in the same salon who had relaxer applied all the way to the ends of their hair – in spikes! (I just shook my head quietly to myself since I know better now!) :naughty:

*Reconstructors – I only use lightweight reconstructors – I’m too afraid to pull out the big guns on my own.

*Daily Maintenance Care - I try not to use a lot of heating appliances, and I wear my hair straight slightly curled under. I’d like to start using satin-covered rollers so I can get away from using the curling iron. (I use a curling iron about 3 days a week.)

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon? No Color.

5) Do you plan to use heat, roller sets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style? --- I am curious about the steam roller sets and the flat iron – which appears to offer a glossy straight look – I would love to know more about how to achieve this look so I can quit using my curling iron altogether.

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why? --- Protective styles are a challenge for me because I’m not a ponytail wearer and I don’t want to wear extensions or hairpieces. I want to grow my hair out to where it is long enough to easily achieve a pinned up look – but I have a way to go.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth. --- I use Nexxus Humectress on my new growth. It doesn’t leave an oily buildup on my scalp and really softens my new growth when I’m nearing my 6th or 7th week before my retouch. I use oil to keep my ends moistened – ultimately, if my hair texture feels silky and conditioned, I feel as if I’ve achieved the softness needed so it won’t dry out and break off.

STYLE/PRODUCT QUESTIONS:
a.) I can't find Elasta QP Mango Butter anywhere! I've been to Walgreen's, CVS, Sally's, Wal-Mart -- No luck. I called Elasta's customer service, but didn't receive an answer yet.
b.) I'm also looking for Salerm21 and Salerm Wheat Germ Mask -- any help with locating it would be appreciated!
c.) Can we re-post the directions for Bantu Knots? I'd like to try it, both for style and for air drying.
To answer your question about the deep conditioning before the shampoo...That would be considered a pre shampoo treat. I do this all the time with olive oil and conditioner. I don't sit under the dryer though but that is fine. It sounds like you have your routine under wraps. That's great just stay consistent with it.
You are right about using heat three times a week. You are def. going to have to cut that out of your reg. I think using the satin rollers you mentioned will be benificial and help decrease damage to your ends from excessive heat.

You may need to try the Asian BSS stores. They almost always carry all of the Elasta products!

Check out my album for pics of a bantu set. It's not exactly instructions but it's a good guide. Good Luck on your hair growing journey!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
missenm said:
Hi Ladies!!! I have a question and any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would like to increase my protein intake and I have trouble finding foods I like with a significant amount of protein in them. Any suggestions? I am trying the shake thing but it's a task for me and I have to mix it with an instant breakfast shake just to be able to digest it. I am also trying the bar thing, but it tastes like air. The Snickers marthon protein performance bar has 26g of protein but I can't seem to eat more than 2 bites. So, does anyone have any suggestions for yummy, protein rich foods? Thanks!

It's funny you mention this because I am on the hunt for high protein foods. I know that tuna, chicken and turkey are some of the tops. Nuts and peanut butter are excellent sources of protein too. Eggs are great if you like to eat them. I am doing some research on this matter this week so I should be able to find out plenty of info. I will def. get back to you on that. I also know what you mean about those protein bars. Yuck!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Poohbear said:
Thanks for the advice DSD!!! :kiss: Now, I've thought about alternating each week between bunning and rollersetting. Since I found a way that both work for me now, I just thought that it would be better if I give my hair a rest from the bun sometimes and do a rollerset, so it will be less stressful on my hair. Even though rollersets are more manipulation, I will only be messing with my hair that one time during my wash day, and then throughout the week, I will leave my curls alone. :yep: How does that plan sound? :grin:
You are welcome! I think it is fine that you alternate as long as you are not manipulation the hair much. If you can leave your hair alone by using rollersets and buns by all means do it!! Good Luck to you!

sugarsweet

dontspeakdefeat said:
Be extra careful with those rubber bands, please. Keeping it simple is a very good idea. I find that less is more when it comes to hair care. When we do too much sometimes it backfires. Our hair like consistency more than a lot of products and manipulation.

Braid outs can be considered a semi protective style because it keeps the hair from rubbing and scraping against things. Also because of the low or no manipulation while wearing it. A full protective style would keep the ends of the hair tucked away from the air and elements keeping them drying out.
I am really having trouble w protective styling last time when I tried the 360 bun it started to break off my hair I moisturized it and it was still breaking of that is why I went back to braids b/c that is the only thing that works for me so far and it is getting kind of boring :( . can you please give me some suggestions :confused: . my hair is so soft ,fragile and fine (I also have a lot of it which does not work well with my hair meing so fine). but it is gettng stronger the more I do my braidouts and conditionings. so what do you think and any other suggestions a welcomed as well.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
It sounds as if you have found the right products for your hair! As long as you hair likes it and responds to it, continue to be consistent. Consistancy is a key in maintaining healthy hair! :up:

Atiramisu said:

If you have a lot of conditioners to get rid of, you can try a pre-poo treatment. I use conditionercheapie or ones I don't hardly use) and evoo(honey too sometimes) for extra moisture boost. This would help get rid of your the conditioners you aren't using on a regular basis. Who knows, pre-poos maybe become a staple you can't live without in your haircare regimen. I know I couldn't. I prepoo on my 'hair works' day of which is my only shampoo deep/cond. day.
The steam rollers help when I want to bump or to have curls. It takes about the same amount of time to curl as it would using an curling iron. The curls last a long time too. This is the first time in my life I've been able to acheive some of the same styles I did with my curling iron w/out using my curling iron.

The ceramic flat iron give you a glossy straight look.

However, another way to achieve smooth straight hair w/out heat is the ponytail method. Moisturize and then pull your hair into a bun/ponytail then tie down with a scarf. Add Butters to help smooth and moisturize the hair. Take down the next day and it will be so, so smooth! Or do several ponytails while your hair is wet, dry under the dome dryer. Viola! Smooth straight roots!

Try braid or twistouts or bantu knots. They are low maintenance and manipulation.

STYLE/PRODUCT QUESTIONS:

I've found the mango butter asian beauty supply stores. I bought my Salerm on ebay and you can buy it at sickbay.com.

I recommend you check DSD's fotki album for the photo step-by-step instructional.

hth

~op~

Last edited:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
sugarsweet said:
I am really having trouble w protective styling last time when I tried the 360 bun it started to break off my hair I moisturized it and it was still breaking of that is why I went back to braids b/c that is the only thing that works for me so far and it is getting kind of boring :( . can you please give me some suggestions :confused: . my hair is so soft ,fragile and fine (I also have a lot of it which does not work well with my hair meing so fine). but it is gettng stronger the more I do my braidouts and conditionings. so what do you think and any other suggestions a welcomed as well.

The 360 might be causing too much tension on the hair.

How about putting your hair in a donut bun or some sort of up-do? I use a donut bun and add flowers or some other cute accessory.

When I do twistouts(braidouts tangle too much for me!) I like to roll my hair on a few rollers the 2nd or 3rd day depending on the condition of the twistout. Then I pin it up in an updo on the 3rd or 4th day and so on. It keeps things interesting.

sugarsweet

onepraying said:
The 360 might be causing too much tension on the hair.

How about putting your hair in a donut bun or some sort of up-do? I use a donut bun and add flowers or some other cute accessory.

When I do twistouts(braidouts tangle too much for me!) I like to roll my hair on a few rollers the 2nd or 3rd day depending on the condition of the twistout. Then I pin it up in an updo on the 3rd or 4th day and so on. It keeps things interesting.
I meant a donut bun I just could not remeber the name of it :) thanks one praying I think I am going to do some updos but I never did one without my hair being flat ironed. :ohwell: I guess I'll try it and post some pics Thank you.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
sugarsweet said:
I meant a donut bun I just could not remeber the name of it :) thanks one praying I think I am going to do some updos but I never did one without my hair being flat ironed. :ohwell: I guess I'll try it and post some pics Thank you.

You're welcome!

Oh! You know what I thought you were talking about? When one pulls the hair back and twists it around itself at the base of the neck. Sort of like one big Bantu knot. It's a very pretty bun and the name you mentioned sounds like a good name for it!

The fun part about proper haircare is trying styles you never considered. You will be surprise and thoroughly please when you find something that works so well! :yep:
~op~

LoriLOCX

sugarsweet said:

I recently cut my hair from shoulder length to earlobe and the back is razored. I don't have long enough hair to put into a ponytail now. I slick my hair back and tie at nigth to airdry. By morning it's dry and moisturized. I have a ponytail scrunchy that's made of hair. I bobbypin this to the back of my head. Sometimes I use a decorative bow at the top. Everyone tells me how nice my hair looks....very professional. I don't use clamps, combs, rubberbands, or elastics. My hair has thanked me tremendously for this. It's easy and quick, and looks great. I'm going to take pics and put this up as my protective style for people with REALLY SHORT hair. I'll let you know when I have it ready.

blissfullyblack

dontspeakdefeat said:
No ma'am you can't exercise several days a week and still wear your hair straight. I am glad the bantu knots are working for you. When I wear them, I just remoisturize every night and loosely knot them again. I love that style. It is so easy to do and maintain.

I want to ask, what type of ponytail holders are you using? They shouldn't be causing breakage. Also try soaking the ponytail holders in oil so they won't dry your hair out in that spot. This should alleviate the breakage.

Keep trying the rollersets. Remember practice makes perfect. I couldn't rollerset worth flip in the beginning. Now I am pretty good at it!

How it the coconut oil working for you?

sorry, i just saw this.

i just got some goody ouchless ponytail holders. i think my problem is i have to be a tad more gentle taking them out. plus i think i'm just paranoid. if i see one hair i'm about to pass out :)

the coconut oil is working well. do you use it daily or just right after you wash? this is my first time trying to work with my new growth instead of heading straight to the stylist for a relaxer. it's not as bad as i thought it would be. i'm learning as i go though. i realize the key is how it's dried. i graduate from grad school in may and i really think i can hold out on my relaxer until then. (i got my last relaxer in mid-december.)

i have another question about the boar bristle brush. i bought one and i felt like it was just gliding on the top of my hair. what do you guys mainly use your boar brushes for? smoothing down?