NEWCOMER'S GROWING OUT CLUB - The First Milestone

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
blissfullyblack said:
sorry, i just saw this.

i just got some goody ouchless ponytail holders. i think my problem is i have to be a tad more gentle taking them out. plus i think i'm just paranoid. if i see one hair i'm about to pass out :)

the coconut oil is working well. do you use it daily or just right after you wash? this is my first time trying to work with my new growth instead of heading straight to the stylist for a relaxer. it's not as bad as i thought it would be. i'm learning as i go though. i realize the key is how it's dried. i graduate from grad school in may and i really think i can hold out on my relaxer until then. (i got my last relaxer in mid-december.)

i have another question about the boar bristle brush. i bought one and i felt like it was just gliding on the top of my hair. what do you guys mainly use your boar brushes for? smoothing down?
NO problem. I know we are all busy!

I only use the coconut oil daily in the warmer months. I don't like oil solidifying on my hair so I cut it out completely in the colder months. I am glad it is working well.

With the right products and techniques, stretching relaxers is a lot easier than people think! Good Luck holding out until May!!

I just use the boar bristle bush for my final smoothing of my hair line. Before that I use a fine tooth comb to get all of the lumps and bumps out. Apply just a tiny bit of pressure when using it. It is really soft! HTH

xippy

Sorry, it took a while for me to document my routine.

2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.
**It will be up to you to faithfully follow this regime, starting now. Post your hair results from following this new regime and share any good/bad/so-so experiences.

Daily (with braids): Infusium23 Leave-in (or MNT) strengthener and braid spray, mist with oil. Once or twice a week, saturate braids with same strengthener and braid spray.

Daily (with bun): Conditioner/wash (every two days) with VO5 Strawberries and Cream, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, mist with jojoba oil or glycerin/distilled water mixture, spray with S-Curl No-Drip Activator (every other day)

Weekly (with braids): Shampoo with diluted Crème of Nature, spray scalp and length lightly with Infusium 23 Leave-in or MNT hair strengthener, followed by braid spray, finish with a light spray of oil to seal in moisture.

Weekly (with bun): Shampoo with MNT, alternate MNT conditioner with Motions Moisture Plus, smooth Giovanni Direct leave-in and add oil.

3) List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review.
*Clarifying Shampoo – Sauve Clarifying
*Routine Shampoo – Mane and Tail
*Deep Conditioning –Mane and Tail, Lekair Cholesterol, Motions Moisture Plus
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) –Apoghee for heavy protein
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) – Last used Dark & Lovely, but I plan on texturizing. Please suggest a good relaxer for this treatment.
*Reconstructors – None. Do I need one?
*Daily Maintenance Care – S-Curl, jojoba oil,

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon?
*What product(s) do you use? N/A
*What is your color regime (i.e., when do you color, what is your regime to minimize damage, how often do you apply color…etc) N/A

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style?

I will only use heat for deep conditioning.

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any?

I use buns and braids as protective styles.

Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?

I find buns very easy to wear and maintain, especially if I conditioner wash my hair every 2 days. I’ve just started wearing braids and so far it’s been easy. I spray my hair at night with braid spray and tie it down. In the morning, it looks nice and tidy for work.

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share.

Well, I don’t do any special to my hair. I wear buns with phony ponies or covered by a single plaited 100% Kanekalon hair.
1. Treat one pack of hair according to Crown and Glory instructions
2. I then divide the one pack of hair into two to get the plait size I desire
3. I plait one of the two pieces and secure the end of the plait with a rubber band (the color of the hair)
4. After I’ve gently pulled my own hair into a bun, I secure the Kanekalon plait with bobby pins over my own hair and wrap the plait around (securing with pins as I go). I probably use too many pins, but I want to make sure it stays in play, even on my lunchtime runs.

Sometimes, I wear two buns (like Princess Leah) and cover them with to plaits.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.

I’m not sure, since this will be first time I’ve let my new growth extend by 6 weeks post relaxer. Right now, I plan on using castor oil on the edges. I don’t anticipate a problem while wearing buns, but perhaps I’m being too optimistic.

Amarech

wow and I'm just now posting!

2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.
**It will be up to you to faithfully follow this regimen, starting now. Post your hair results from following this new regime and share any good/bad/so-so experiences.

Currently I have my hair on a 1.5 to 2 week rotation between curly and straight. I wear my hair straightened for one week then wash it and wear it curly for 5+ days up to 1 week. I like to keep things simple so thats about it. When its curly I usually do two strand twists and flat twists. I also take care to be gentle when I comb and brush it. This has been the most helpful!

3) List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review.
*Clarifying Shampoo – none. I think they are too harsh for my hair and I don't use a lot of styling products anyway

*Routine Shampoo – A good moisturizing shampoo like Herbal Essence Triple Moisture or Dove. That Herbal Essence really does work!!

*Deep Conditioning – Havent found a worthy one yet. Still looking

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) – Just found one by Vitale. Its a correcting protein conditioner and the results were amazing! My hair was definately shinier and felt stronger.

*Relaxer or texturizer - Vitale all the way

*Reconstructors – Still looking. The Vitale perm comes with a really good one so I may just go with that one

*Daily Maintenance Care – Curly: co-washes daily. Two strand twists or flat twists. I always tie it up in a satin scarf at night. like I said before, simple
Straight: I always, always wrap it, even when I am not sleeping. At least three times a day, I apply olive oil to my ends

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon? I don't color...yet. When I do I want to go red.
*What product(s) do you use? I used Clairol Natural Instincts before but I'm leaning towards that new line from Revlon made specifically for Textured/permed hair

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style?

I use heat but it is very minimum. I blow dry at the beginnning on freshly washed clean hair. Then I flat iron to maintain sleekness. For the rest of the week, if I consistently wrap my hair like I'm supposed to, I don't need the flat iron, but my hair looks like I flat iron it every day!

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? right now my hair is too short in some areas to put it up so I just constantly wrap it whenever I know I'm going to be inside for a while. Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?
At first it was a challenge for me because I thought that hair had to be put up in order for it to be protected. Some of my layers are just too short so I was very frustrated. Then I read that if you wrap it up as much as possible, it could be considered protective styling. Also, I started putting oil on the ends more often. Now, if I feel like my ends have taken too much of a beating from the air, or my wool sweater or my cotton shirt, I put my olive oil on the ends. I observed those with naturally straight hair and realized that their ends don't suffer as bad because the natural oils can make it all the way down the hair shaft. So I'm just doing what occurs naturally in a straight haired person. I believe it's working!

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share.N/A

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.Apply a light natural oil like olive, or sweet almond. I found that they don't sit on my hair but penetrate into the shaft. Everyday I get complements on how shiny (not greasy) my hair looks. Folks are surprised when I tell them its the olive oil!

Ashee

FIRST MILESTONE: ---------------------------------- 1) If you haven't printed out our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, you may wish to now. Read sections 1-10, as outlined in the Table of Contents. The next posting to observe will be April 11th. We will spend the months of March and April asking questions, perfecting our starting regime, monitoring and sharing hair results and figuring out what products work well for our hair. 2) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific. **It will be up to you to faithfully follow this regime, starting now. Post your hair results from following this new regime and share any good/bad/so-so experiences. 3) List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review. *Clarifying Shampoo - *Routine Shampoo - *Deep Conditioning - *Protein treatments (light and heavy) - *Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) *Reconstructors – *Daily Maintenance Care - 4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon? *What product(s) do you use? *What is your color regime (i.e., when do you color, what is your regime to minimize damage, how often do you apply color…etc) 5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style? 6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why? 7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share. 8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth. And now....a special note from our very own don'tspeakdefeat!!! ================================================== ===== It is so wonderful to know that so many ladies here are excited about grower longer stronger healthier hair. By joining this forum and joining this club you have made the steps in the right direction. I wish you all that you deserve in your hair growing journey. Good Luck ladies!!

Alas, I've found you guys...
:lol:

I'll be back to post...this will take a minute :lol:

c_octavia

I know I am super late, but here goes... :D

I"m still trying to work out a specific regemin. I am doing the april washing challenge. So I put conditoner in my hair at night. Usually suave or something cheap. cover with a plastic cap and sleep with it in my hair. then rinse in the morning followed by a heavier conditioner like Humectress or CON in the shower. I wash every 2-3 days with Therappe. Once a week I spray my hair Aphogee Pro-vitamin Leave-in Conditoner Rub a little jojoba oil on the ends Apply Suave Humectant or Bio Basics (knock off of Humectress, and Biolage Conditioning Balm) and sit under the dryer for 10-15 minutes. I then wash my hair with either Therappe or CON for dry damaged hair. I then deep condition with Humectress and sit under the dryer about 25 minutes id I have the time. I spray my hair with a leave in I use that is made up of Infusium 23, Aphogee provitamin leave in, and Hask Placenta super strength hair repair. Appply jojoba oil, either keracare moisturizer withjojoba, or Elasta Qp Recovery, and apply Shealoe and smooth into a poneytail, cover with a satin scarf as tight as i can take.. then just air dry.

shampoo: Nexxus Therappe or Creme Of Nature
conditioner: Nexxus Humectress, Ceme of Nature
leave in conditoner: Infusium 23, Aphogee provitamine leave in, Hask placenta super strength no rinse hair repair
deep conditioner: none really just use my regulars
moisturizer: Shealoe, jojba oil, shea butter oil, Recovery, and Keracare oil moisturizer with jojoba oil.
reconstructor treatment: Aphogee Intense keratin reconstructor, Hask Henna n' Placenta
clarifyer treatment: Thermasilk Clarifying.
relaxer: Creme of Nature Mild lye.

4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon? -don't color my hair any more.

5) Do you plan to use heat, rollersets, curling irons, and/or flat irons with you new regime? How often? What do you use for thermal protection? How do you maintain your style? -No heat unless I have somplace important to go.

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why? -daily con wash/ rinse wash then put in a bun

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share. -wash, leave in treatment, bun, smoothed back with keracare with jojoba oil

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth. - just keep my roots soft and my ends really moisturized.

brownsugarbabe

---------------------------------
FIRST MILESTONE:
----------------------------------
1) If you haven't printed out our HAIR BIBLE -

2 and 3) Write out what you think is a good daily/weekly hair/shampoo/conditioning routine for your hair? Be very specific.
**It will be up to you to faithfully follow this regime, starting now. Post your hair results from following this new regime and share any good/bad/so-so experiences.

List the products you've decided to use for your new regime. Choose one item and post a short product review.

This is my current regime. It’s working for me so I’ll stick with it.

Pre-poo –Suave Milk and Honey Conditioner
Hot Oil-Kemi Oyl mixed with EVOO or Neutrogena hot oil
Shampoo-Aubrey’s Organic J.A.Y Desert Herb Shampoo
Conditioner-Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner or Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer (sometimes I mix them together) or Neutrogena Triple Moisture
Protein-Aphogee (once every 6 to 8 weeks) or Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum (usually a little bit mixed in with conditioner with EVOO).
Leave-In- I just bought Salerm and NTM Silk Leave-in
Moisturizer-I might use Elasta QP Mango Butter or spray Pantene Leave-in daily conditioner and put a little Mango Butter on afterwards
Serum-NTM Healing Shine Serum
Random Shine-Warm Spirit’s Anahita’s Hair Butter ( If I’m going out and want a little sheen to my hair, I smooth a little bit of this in my hair)

I put a little Mango Butter on my ends and wrap my hair at night.

Product Review:
Aubrey’s Organic J.A.Y Desert Herb Shampoo….Love this stuff. It’s made with all natural ingredients and doesn’t dry the hair out.

I do not color my hair

I rollerset my hair once/week after I wash. I rarely use curling irons, Maybe once every two weeks.

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?
I usually don’t wear protective styles. I wrap my hair at night and then wear it down. Sometimes I do put my hair in a ponytail and tuck the end of it under.

7) If you wear protective styles, take one of these and share with everyone how to create it and what products you use to do it. Write out your step-by-step instructions to share.

8) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.
Pantene conditioning spray followed by Mango butter.

LoriLOCX

Newcomer's Growing Out Club - Second Milestone has been posted!!!!!!
SORRY IT'S A DAY LATE EVERYONE!!!!! :)

See you all there!!!

andreab

I thought this would be good place to start. I wanted to find the First Milestone and see what it was all about so I would have a little bit of organization going here with my regime. I just joined last week and purchased some products.

I made a good start back in January of 2004 but messed up when I kept my hair up in a pony tail and didn't take care of ends for two weeks during the summer. I started using CON in August 2005 and was very happy with the results. I was using Silk elements but it didn't mosturize and leave our (My daughter) hair as soft and mangable as good as CON did. I was buying a bottle of CON for $1.50 at the dollar store until they just recently caught on to the price of CON next door at the BSS store. I have also been using Profectiv mosturizer for my ends this has worked well along with the Deep Condition. I am puting together my regime as my first goal. I will post when I have it going along with some pictures. I currently in the middle of moving right now adn getting a job so my purchase and experiments will be kind of slow moving.

*Clarifying Shampoo – none

*Routine Shampoo – CON(green label)

*Deep Conditioning – Profectiv, NTM Mask (not to impressed )

*Leave-In - Profectiv

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) – none

*Relaxer or texturizer - Dark and Lovely( what my mom used on me) I will be changing most likely to Mizani. I went to a salon and the stylist used this line. I really like the results and now I see they care this at the BSS. OMG what an eye opener.

*Reconstructors – used Aphogee once. I have a list of other recommended treatments to try next time.

*Daily Maintenance Care – I use IC Pure Tea Moisturizing Lotion and put the Profectiv on my ends ( they have a product for this I can't remember what it is called right now.) Every night I wrap my hair after mosturizing.

The only profective style I have is wearing my hair up in a clip but I see alot of good ideas that I will be using.

I want to try the Cayeene pepper and olive oil, MTG, Mizani line, and the Nexus line. So as you can see I am working on getting my routine started.

BMoreFlyy

LoriLOCX said:
Welcome back everyone!!!! We've gotten to know a little something about each other, and we can all see that we share much in common…especially the desire and motivation to grow healthy hair. Now, LET’S REALLY GET STARTED! Mark your journals TODAY, as being the first day of your new healthy hair journey. The biggest step and most important part of the NEWCOMER’S GROWING OUT CLUB will be the first milestone. THIS…is your own personal guide that will define how you manage the health and growth of your hair. You are encouraged to ask questions.

FIRST MILESTONE:
1) If you haven't printed out our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, you may wish to now. Read sections 1-10, as outlined in the Table of Contents. The next posting to observe will be April 11th. We will spend the months of March and April asking questions, perfecting our starting regime, monitoring and sharing hair results and figuring out what products work well for our hair.

*Clarifying Shampoo -
*Routine Shampoo -
*Deep Conditioning -
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) -
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!)
*Reconstructors –
*Daily Maintenance Care -

*What product(s) do you use?
*What is your color regime (i.e., when do you color, what is your regime to minimize damage, how often do you apply color…etc)

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why?

And now....a special note from our very own don'tspeakdefeat!!!
=======================================================
It is so wonderful to know that so many ladies here are excited about grower longer stronger healthier hair. By joining this forum and joining this club you have made the steps in the right direction. I wish you all that you deserve in your hair growing journey. Good Luck ladies!!

-DSD

Can I join the Newcomer's Grow Out Club or am I too late?
What's the difference between the clarifying and routine shampoos? What are protein treatments?

Last edited:

Ms Red

I know-- I'm super late. But I would like to join the Newcomer's Growing Out Club Anyway! :)

1) If you haven't printed out our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, you may wish to now. Read sections 1-10, as outlined in the Table of Contents. Ok, I've read the hair bible and through trial and error, I think I've finally come up with a decent regimen that works for my hair.

Right now, I am washing my hair once a week. I experimented with twice/week but my hair was shedding too much. I experimented with once every two weeks (bi-weekly) but I had too much product buildup.
This is my routine so far:

*Pre-poo with 100% EVOO
*Shampoo in shower with Cream of Nature Detangling Poo OR Nexxus Therappe
*Condition with Nexxus Humectress OR use Neutrogena TM Hair Mask (I usually let this sit for about 20 minutes with no heat)
*I rinse out and deep condition using ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak (with heat cap) OR Motions CPR

(I am keeping it simple with ONE poo, ONE conditioner and ONE deep conditioner)
*I use Nexxus KerapHix or Aphogee only once every 8 weeks
*I wrap my hair and go to sleep (air dry) or sit under my bonnet dryer until it is 50% dry
*I usually follow this with the flat iron on low heat and then I don't use any heat until the next wash. I am trying to find ways to eliminate heat.

*Clarifying Shampoo - Don't have one yet
*Routine Shampoo - CON
*Deep Conditioning - Humectress or ORS Olive Oil Pak
*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - KerapHix, CPR and aphogee
*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) Transitioning! :eek:
*Reconstructors – None yet
*Daily Maintenance Care - Wrap at night with a couple of rollers and comb down in morning. This will continue to be my routine until my hair gets long enough for a braidout.
4) If you color your hair, do you color yourself or go to a salon? No color. My hair is black.

*I use heat once a week and I am trying to eliminate it all together. I have never tried to rollerset my hair so this (and braidouts) will be my challenges for the summer. I am wrapping my hair and using a silk scarf at night to protect it.

6) What protective styles do you currently wear if any? Do you find it easy to protective style your hair or is it a challenge and why? I just got my hair cut and it has been hard to maintain protective styles. Since my hair does not touch my clothing, I will be preparing to protective styles when I gain length.

7) Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.

I am using Wild Growth Hair Oil, weekly washes and Elasta QP Recovery to make my new growth manageable. Since I am doing a long transition, I am paying close attention to my NG and line of demarcation. When I moisturize, I've been paying extra attention to NG and ends.

And now....a special note from our very own don'tspeakdefeat!!!
================================================== =====
It is so wonderful to know that so many ladies here are excited about grower longer stronger healthier hair. By joining this forum and joining this club you have made the steps in the right direction. I wish you all that you deserve in your hair growing journey. Good Luck ladies!!

-DSD Thanks DSD for the encouragement!!!

beloved1

Welcome, Cupcake! Do a search for Third Milestone and come on over to our most recent thread and join in! As a matter of fact, I'll search and bump it for you.

beloved1

Welcome Newcomer's. This is the first thread LoriLocx put out for our club. Hope it will help you as well to chime in and go through these steps.

LoriLOCX

Beloved1.....you are the bomb girl!!!!! :yay: :clapping:

As she has stated.....WELCOME ALL NEWCOMERS....and no one is ever too late. I love this site!!! (can you feel the warm fuzzies???? :grin: )

andreab :)
Welcome! You've got a good thing going there. Keep it up. Make sure you keep your own diary. It will serve as your basis for a photo album later if you'd like, plus it helps you as you revise your routine to reach your goals.

MsCrystal :)
Hey Girl! I just replied to your PM....had I come here first, I could have answered your question. Sorry for the delay :p
What's the difference between the clarifying and routine shampoos? What are protein treatments?
Clarifying shampoos remove buildup of oils and sebum on the hair and scalp, hence, clarify. Your routine shampoo is your everyday shampoo. It should be one for moisturizing. Some people co-wash their hair so they use shampoos like V05 or Sauve everyday in place of shampoo. Protein treatments are hair products that work to increase the tensile strength of your hair strands, to lessen breakage and create stronger hair, such as Nexxus products - Keraphix, Epitome, or products like Apoghee, Dudley's Protein Creme Conditioner....mayonnaise....and other concoctions that you can make yourself. There's alot of info on the board. Have fun searching and feel free to post your questions in our latest thread. You'd be delighted at the replies.

cupcake :)
Welcome Darlin'! I can honestly say when I first started co-washing, I wasn't sure if I liked the results, but I kept at it. I did have breaking at first, but I realized that I needed to change how I handled my hair after it was rinsed. Don't use a hard brush or small tooth comb. Your routine sounds great. Everyone doesn't co-wash, and if once or twice a week works for you, more power to you girl! Product build up can be eliminated by using a clarifying shampoo or Apple Cider Vinegar rinses. I too have short hair and have found creative ways to wear pony phonies and buns. Since I suffer from LUPUS, my goal is not growth, but health, and I must say my new routine is working.

Here's an idea for a protective style that I'm sure you can do....
Try using TIGI BedHead Control Freak serum after rinsing and applying your leave-in, oil, etc... Then use a boar's head brush, and brush your hair back. Tie it down tight and let airdry. In the morning it should be nice and flat. I take a hair scrunching and bobbypin it to the back of my hair. Believe it or not, it looks really nice, and I've gotten some really great compliments on it.

If you want more ideas I can share. Keep your journal handy. I too am developing my own in order to create an album. See you in the next postings!!!!

To all members.....
Thank you all for sharing and caring.

LoriLOCX ;)

BMoreFlyy

Thanks and me not knowing a posted the question on the board. Because I had yet to get your message. :)

LoriLOCX said:
Beloved1.....you are the bomb girl!!!!! :yay: :clapping:

As she has stated.....WELCOME ALL NEWCOMERS....and no one is ever too late. I love this site!!! (can you feel the warm fuzzies???? :grin: )

andreab :)
Welcome! You've got a good thing going there. Keep it up. Make sure you keep your own diary. It will serve as your basis for a photo album later if you'd like, plus it helps you as you revise your routine to reach your goals.

MsCrystal :)
Hey Girl! I just replied to your PM....had I come here first, I could have answered your question. Sorry for the delay :p
Clarifying shampoos remove buildup of oils and sebum on the hair and scalp, hence, clarify. Your routine shampoo is your everyday shampoo. It should be one for moisturizing. Some people co-wash their hair so they use shampoos like V05 or Sauve everyday in place of shampoo. Protein treatments are hair products that work to increase the tensile strength of your hair strands, to lessen breakage and create stronger hair, such as Nexxus products - Keraphix, Epitome, or products like Apoghee, Dudley's Protein Creme Conditioner....mayonnaise....and other concoctions that you can make yourself. There's alot of info on the board. Have fun searching and feel free to post your questions in our latest thread. You'd be delighted at the replies.

cupcake :)
Welcome Darlin'! I can honestly say when I first started co-washing, I wasn't sure if I liked the results, but I kept at it. I did have breaking at first, but I realized that I needed to change how I handled my hair after it was rinsed. Don't use a hard brush or small tooth comb. Your routine sounds great. Everyone doesn't co-wash, and if once or twice a week works for you, more power to you girl! Product build up can be eliminated by using a clarifying shampoo or Apple Cider Vinegar rinses. I too have short hair and have found creative ways to wear pony phonies and buns. Since I suffer from LUPUS, my goal is not growth, but health, and I must say my new routine is working.

Here's an idea for a protective style that I'm sure you can do....
Try using TIGI BedHead Control Freak serum after rinsing and applying your leave-in, oil, etc... Then use a boar's head brush, and brush your hair back. Tie it down tight and let airdry. In the morning it should be nice and flat. I take a hair scrunching and bobbypin it to the back of my hair. Believe it or not, it looks really nice, and I've gotten some really great compliments on it.

If you want more ideas I can share. Keep your journal handy. I too am developing my own in order to create an album. See you in the next postings!!!!

To all members.....
Thank you all for sharing and caring.

LoriLOCX ;)

london honey

Ok Ive known about this club since I joined but did not want to get hit with so many new things at once so now i feel im settled so here we go....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment ive got serious new growth so im co-washing everyday and doing a pre-poo,wash and deep con on saturdays(my love my hair day). I am still experimenting with new ideas on a daily dasis. I use mango butter to moisturise and i surge my scalp daily.

*Clarifying Shampoo - Keracare first lather
*Routine Shampoo - Kera care
*CO Wash - Herbal essences, M N Tail, Keracare, Nexuss
*Deep Conditioning - Arosci
*Protein treatments - Aphogee
*Relaxer or texturizer - Elasta QP, but i'll be moving on to phyto on my next relaxer
*Reconstructors – Aphoghee 2 min reconstructor
*Daily Maintenance Care - Mango Butter, Jojoba oil

I am currently on a no heat challenge so i airdry in a ponytail. I wish i could rollerset though but im useless.

I would love to wear braids but this does not seem to work for me. My hair breaks up in chunks. I put my hair in a bun and use a phony pony sometimes.

Share what you believe would be a good daily Moisturizing routine for new growth.

Hmm this is hard a hard one for me , i surge and co wash daily so this softens my new growth

I think ive covered my first milestone so ill off to the second milestone thread :D

andreab

andreab said:

*Routine Shampoo – CON(green label)

*Deep Conditioning – Profectiv, NTM Mask (not to impressed )

*Leave-In - Profectiv

*Relaxer or texturizer - Dark and Lovely( what my mom used on me) I will be changing most likely to Mizani. I went to a salon and the stylist used this line. I really like the results and now I see they care this at the BSS. OMG what an eye opener.

*Reconstructors – used Aphogee once. I have a list of other recommended treatments to try next time.

*Daily Maintenance Care – I use IC Pure Tea Moisturizing Lotion and put the Profectiv on my ends ( they have a product for this I can't remember what it is called right now.) Every night I wrap my hair after mosturizing.

The only profective style I have is wearing my hair up in a clip but I see alot of good ideas that I will be using.

I want to try the Cayeene pepper and olive oil, MTG, Mizani line, and the Nexus line. So as you can see I am working on getting my routine started.

UPdate

*Routine Shampoo – CON(green label), Kenra

*Deep Conditioning – Profectiv, Kenra

*Leave-In - Profectiv

*Relaxer or texturizer -Profective, Dark and Lovely( what my mom used on me) I will be changing most likely to Mizani.,

*Daily Maintenance Care – wrap everynight for mosturizing. Using Pro Line and got got some Scurl

Profective style
used Baggie style for the first time with a bun.

I used IC Pure Tea Mosturzing Lotion for a very short time. I will never use it again it dryed out our hair. I will throw the rest of it away.

I want to try the Cayeene pepper and olive oil, MTG, Mizani line, and the Nexus line. So as you can see I am working on getting my routine started

newflowers

LoriLOCX said:
FIRST MILESTONE:
1) If you haven't printed out our HAIR BIBLE - A NEWCOMER'S GUIDE TO STARTING OUT, you may wish to now. Read sections 1-10, as outlined in the Table of Contents.

I have read, printed, read with annotations, and reviewed the Hair Bible.

My weekly regine will begin on Sundays with a scalp oil massage -
3 tblspns camellia oil, rosemary, peppermint, cedarwood, lavender essential oils 3 drops each - having read the hair growing benefits of scalp massage, and these essentials oils in particular, i am trying this for the first couple of months to see how it works. I will do a scalp massage daily.

When I return from work, I will begin the rest of the Sunday regime -
*Hot oil treatment with heat cap
*Ion Reconstructor
*Wash with Phytoneutre
*Deep moisture conditioner - Phytojoba - cover with plastic cap while I lounge in tub for 30ish minutes
*After rinsing, use Phyto 7 leave-in conditioner
*Camellia oil
*bun/ponytail/braid and air dry

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday -
*scalp oil massage
* ???????? wet/rinse hair in shower - to wash or not to wash
*Phtyo7 leave-in
*Camellia oil
*bun/braids/ponytail
I am not sure else how to work this - two months ago, I began an exercise program that gets me super sweaty and while I think I can handle not washing with shampoo (though the Phytojoba is very moisturizing and gentle), I feel like I have to do something to wash away the sweat.

Wednesday
scalp oil massage
wash - Phytojoba
conditioner - Phytosesame

*Clarifying Shampoo - I do not know. I think I would like to try the Aveda detoxifier; I have used Aloe Rid before and it works well

*Routine Shampoo - Phytojoba - creamy moisturizing shampoo for dry hair. i've used this shampoo for about two years and i love it.

*Deep Conditioning -Phytojoba - deep conditioning mask with tons of moisture leaves my hair super soft, easy to detangle and comb.

*Protein treatments (light and heavy) - i do not know. i think for a heavy protein treatment, i would like to use aphogee which has gotten rave reviews here or frederic fekai which is also supposed to be very good. i thinkthese two are heavy proteins. i do not know what to use for a light protein, maybe Aveda damage Remedy or Aminogenesis. The Aubrey Organics line looks very good as well - is this light protein? - this brings to mind that i have not consistently incorporated this into my regime in the past. I think I have tried protein, did not know I should moisturize, had breakage, and stopped. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help in making a decision here so that I have a well-rounded hair regime.

*Relaxer or texturizer - (or if you are a Natural Girl!) Phytospecific Index1 - when the braids are out after the C&G period is finished.

*Reconstructors – Ion reconstructor

*Daily Maintenance Care - Phyto7 and then a very light application of camellia oil

no coloring

heat for oil/conditioning treatments - otherwise no heat at this time. I do foresee a time when I will return to rollersets and then dry under the hooded dryer, but that is not now. I like the idea of air drying and then using the steam curlers.

Right now, I am using the C&G method wearing cornrows with extensions. My hair is approximately 4 -6 inches long. I can pull it back, slick it down with conditioner and oil, and wear my tiny pony tail with a scrunchie. Other than this, I have absolutely NO IDEA what to do.

I am still working on this part - visiting photojournals to see what others are doing and how they are doing it. Right now, I am in braids - cornrows with extensions (C&G). I have my hair rebraided every two weeks - two weeks on, two - three days off. This will continue for at least another two months and I would really like to go longer, but I do not know. I like the idea of having my hair protected, but I would like to see it, wash it, style it sometimes, while it is growing.

A mix of essential and camellia oil for a scalp massage, rinse, and a light application of camellia oil.

-DSD

Questions -

I am unclear about the protein portion of the regime. As stated, I think I have not used protein products correctly in the past and stopped using them. I have used Phytonectar in the past before washing - is this a light protein? I am not certain what qualifies as a deep or light protein, nor am I certain when I should incorporate them into my regime.

Also - I am not certain what to do about my desire to wash after exercising. If I use a diluted shampoo is this better? My scalp gets really, really itchy after a day or so if I do not wash. Then I scratch - I've scratched so much, I've given myself sores - I wash; it's easier than the alternative-to-date. Do you have suggestions for this?

rnlisa

I am a new member and I am clueless as to what product to use on my hair and how often to shampoo....