Newcomer's Growing Out Club

lavendarlover

I'm not sure if I have it all down, but here goes.

Hair type:
4a natural/ treated with permanent hair color-and lovin it!!

Products: Currently using Pantene Relaxed and Natural, Burt's bees shampoo bar (rosemary mint) and homemade "nappy nectar" which is a glycerin spray with essential oils- AWESOME STUFF!!

Condition of hair/length:
My hair is as healthy as it can be for color-treated hair. It is in it's natural texture, but I DO use color. It is differnt lengths all over. My hair grows in layers, and trying to even it out a lot results in constantly having short hair.
If I were to put a number on it I would have to say 4 inches, although I can't rmember the last time that I used a ruler. When my hair is stretched, it comes past my ears on each side, and it is almost to the bottom of my neck in the back. My goal is to have it full and to the bottom of my neck by the time it starts to get warm. I know a lot of people on here are looking at shoulder and bra strap length, but for me full and chin length would be major feat.

My hair story:
I have had chemically treated hair for 23 years. There were times that I had no edges, or only an inch of hair because my mom would change up chemical treatments. I never had more than six inches of hair on my best day. Most of the time my fine strands were over processed, and I had IMMENSE breakag. Since wearing my hair natural, the only breakage that I have is from dry combing. I get a lot of end breakage when I do that. It took me a LONG time to learn how to care for my kinky hair, but I finally have a lock on it. My hair has grown out pretty well, because I have more hair now than I did before the big chop. I would like to one day have ten inches of hir, which would probably put me right at shoulder length stretched. I have NEVER had that much hair.
I believ that my goal would take three years to reach. My hair grows somewhat slowly, so if I get four inches in a year I am doing well.
Right now i am taking iberet, which is an iron and folic acid prescription, and I have noticed a difference in my nails already. It has iron and folic acid in it, and is used to treat anemia.

LoriLOCX

lavendarlover said:

Hair type:

Products: Currently using Pantene Relaxed and Natural, Burt's bees shampoo bar (rosemary mint) and homemade "nappy nectar" which is a glycerin spray with essential oils- AWESOME STUFF!!

My hair is as healthy as it can be for color-treated hair. It is in it's natural texture, but I DO use color. It is differnt lengths all over. My hair grows in layers, and trying to even it out a lot results in constantly having short hair.
If I were to put a number on it I would have to say 4 inches, although I can't rmember the last time that I used a ruler. When my hair is stretched, it comes past my ears on each side, and it is almost to the bottom of my neck in the back. My goal is to have it full and to the bottom of my neck by the time it starts to get warm. I know a lot of people on here are looking at shoulder and bra strap length, but for me full and chin length would be major feat.

My hair story:
I have had chemically treated hair for 23 years. There were times that I had no edges, or only an inch of hair because my mom would change up chemical treatments. I never had more than six inches of hair on my best day. Most of the time my fine strands were over processed, and I had IMMENSE breakag. Since wearing my hair natural, the only breakage that I have is from dry combing. I get a lot of end breakage when I do that. It took me a LONG time to learn how to care for my kinky hair, but I finally have a lock on it. My hair has grown out pretty well, because I have more hair now than I did before the big chop. I would like to one day have ten inches of hir, which would probably put me right at shoulder length stretched. I have NEVER had that much hair.
I believ that my goal would take three years to reach. My hair grows somewhat slowly, so if I get four inches in a year I am doing well.
Right now i am taking iberet, which is an iron and folic acid prescription, and I have noticed a difference in my nails already. It has iron and folic acid in it, and is used to treat anemia.

Welcome lavenderlover! I see we have a lot in common. I've relaxed for a long period of time too and share your experience with breakage. Kudos to you for getting a lock on caring for your hair :clapping: I'm sure you're going to reach your goal....and with LHCF members at your side, it may be sooner than you think!!!

Do you take any other supplements? Multi-vitamin and/or a hair supplement? I have LUPUS SLE and I am careful not to take too many things to avoid triggers. Since you have a prescription iron and folic combination, would it be okay to also take a multi and/or hair vitamin? This may enhance your rate of growth.

blissfullyblack

hi everyone:

i'm a newbie. i've been lurking on the site for about a month and decided to join a few days ago. Reading the posts and looking at everyone's albums has definitely got me really excited about taking care of my hair.

1) Determine Your Hair Type -
Hmm, we have to start with the touch question :) I think I'm 4a but I'm not 100% sure. I'm trying to stretch my relaxer so I will know for sure the longer I stretch.

2) Tell us how long your hair is now.
Right now, the back of my hair touches my shoulders. The front and crown are any and every length :)

3) What condition is your Hair In?
I have never had a problem with the back growing. It's the front and crown that give me constant issues. (It's helped a bit since I started wrapping consistently every night but I still get breakage.) So I would say that's my main issue. I also shed a lot, lot, lot, but it's gotten better since I started using Nexxus this year.

4) What Products are your currently using?
Nexxus Therappe and Humectress. Before that I was using Motions CPR. I also use pure Shea Butter. Still figuring out what other things work best for me, but I'm trying out Elasta QP Mango Butter and Surge.

5) Briefly tell us your hair story.
Well I am (or was) tenderheaded and my mother did not have a gentle hand. By the time I was five, my hair touched my waist. Those three things made a terrible combination. To me, hair was pain and I hated it. I remember when my mom let me cut my hair around fourth grade, I was so so so so happy. I honestly never paid my hair much attention until a few years ago. Ever since the fourth grade chop, I kept it consistently between shoulder and chin length. I would cut it, parts (usually the back) would grow to my shoulders and then I would cut it again.

After I graduated college, I cut my hair in a relatively short cut. That's when I decided to take better care of it. But it was still a long process for me. I incorporated things very gradually as I learned about them.

I went back to school about a year and a half ago, and went on the lazy student regimen of washing my hair once a week, curling it only once a week and wrapping it every night. Now that I found this site, I realize now that what I contributed to being lazy was probably good for my hair. :)

In terms of questions, the one thing I'm not sure about are all the different oils. Coconut, Jojoba, Olive. Are they interchangeable or should I use one if i have a lot of breakage and another if my hair is dry, etc?

jaded_faerie

Im really not sure..id say 3c,4a

My hair is all kinds of lengths...its shoulder on the back, i have bangs in the front and my sides are right above chin.

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now? my hair condition is good, ive been taking care of my hair since August 2004. And my hair has improved as well as grown some bit.

right now i am not really using that many products...ive been using nioxin since August and plan to hop on the Nexxus bandwagon in April...i also use scurl on my ends, sebastian leave in, and s8 and glovers on my scalp...but i plan on changing the majority of my products in April.

5) My hair journey started August 2004, when my mama told me to stop wearing weaves and grow the hair God gave me..i was hesitant at first but i did...and stumbled across hair forums and from then on ive been taking care of my hair. Someday i hope to grow waist length hair....my pictures can be found in my album

moda

dontspeakdefeat said:
Your hair is beautiful!! It looks like it is a mix of 3a/b to me. You have very pretty natural spirals.

Make sure you don't go to heavy on the trim. Good Luck! Looks like you are off to a wonderful start!!

Thanks DSD !! I will not go to heavy on the trim, I will have someone else do it for me, because I get a little to scissor happy and then I am looking in the mirror :crying3: . Your hair is beautiful, very thick and healthy. When I use heat again I will have to try the bantu knots, they were gorgeous.

songbyrd517

This is great guys :yep: ! I'm still kind of new and I still need much help and I still have a long way to go, so I want to join if I can.

1) Determine Your Hair Type - I still am not so sure, but I think I am either a 3c, a 4a, or a 3c/4a... possibly? (pic in my profile, and more pics in album)

2) Tell us how long your hair is now. My hair is about 13 inches long, about an inch past my shoulders.

3) What condition is your hair In? I am transitioning (I am not big chopping, I will just gradually cut off the relaxed ends as needed), and my hair is not in the best condition, but it is not bad. It's getting better though. My biggest problems now are dryness, breakage, and getting a faster growth rate. My hair used to grow faster, so I think my scalp has suffered some chemical damage. I guess I just have to wait for it to heal. Any suggestions? I thought of using vitamin E oil and Surge on my scalp. I've never used Surge. What do you guys think?

Shampoo - Creme of Nature

Conditioner - Moisture/Detangling:Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol, Parnevu Organic Hair Mayonnaise - Protein: Aphogee 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor (my hair can't take hard protein, I use only as needed), and Porosity Control to gradually correct the porosity of my hair (only as needed)

Deep conditioner - Parnevu Organic Hair Mayonnaise, Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol

Styling Products - Kemi Oyl, Fantasia IC Shine Serum, Fantasia IC Straightening Serum (only when flat ironing), Parnevu Shining Gel (may switch to JAM), ORS Olive Oil Sheen

Detangler - my conditioner detangles pretty good.

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. About me: I am trying very hard to get my hair in the best health, keep it that way, and retain lots of length. When I was younger, my hair was very long, about mid-back length (that's when mommy was taking care of it and before I unknowingly decided to kill it. I got my first relaxer when I was about 11, and my mother always used mild, however, I did not know this. Then, when I was about 12, I got the "I wanna do my own hair" syndrome, and I am so mad I did. I didn't really know what I was doing, so I enlisted my sister's help (like she did:laugh:) In short, she, as well as I, destroyed my hair. Her hair is thicker and more coarse than mine, so she uses regular relaxers, and thought she could put them in my hair,and we did them too often. This went on for years, and I ended up with thin, brittle, dry hair and breaking hair that seemed like it wasn't growing. Then I went through scissor-happiness trying to be cute. It took me until my 1st year in college, 2002, to realize that I had a different hair texture than I thought previously and that I should use a mild relaxer (smart huh?)... and stop using "no- lye". Since then, my hair is a lot thicker (I have fine hair unfortunately) but for some reason, I can't seem to get my hair much longer than it is now. I want to be brastrap - waist length.

DangerouslyShy

Great idea...let me give you my info....

1) Determine Your Hair Type: Well mine is a 3c/4a combo 3c more in the nape area and 4a towards the front....

2) Hair Length: Lol...not sure inches wise...my back is about an inch past shoulder length...and my sides are all over the place...(that is where i had the most breakage when I colored my hair) and my bangs are around the tip of my nose right now...

3) What Condition is My Hair In? As of now my hair is flourishing so much thicker...its getting longer....the color is growing out...and no breakage...

4) What Products Are You Currently Using?:
Shampoo and conditioner: Elucence Moisture Benefits
Oils: EVOO, Meadowfoam, Jojoba, Castor, and Carrot
Cremes: Mango Butter, Dudleys PCA
Other: Salerm (rollerset), NTM Deep Recovery (deep conditioner), S-curl (new growth moisturizer), Surge 14 (growth aide), and thats about it

5) My Hair Journey:

Ever since I started relaxing my hair (well when my mom started) my hair would hardly every grow past shoulder length. I hardly ever moisturized my hair so it was always dry and breaking. I found this site and I learned how to take care of my hair, and my hair is loving it. I colored my hair last spring/summer and it caused so much damage, i put a weave in and it made it worse because i was not moisturizing my own hair. After taking it out my hair had broken off so badly in some areas. Thank god my hair is so thick or I would of had to cut it. In some areas my hair was about two inches. Since then, I tried transitioning but I decided to texturize my hair instead. What I have been doing to keep it healthy is to surge and moisturize every day, wear protective styles like weaves to protect my hair from the elements. And it has been helping.

Good luck on your Journey everyone!!!

sengschick

The Bun Master
4a/3c.... I have that dense, but super cottony soft hair. If you have it u know what I mean.

20" from hairline

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now? (e.g. "dry hair, weak hair, breaking hair, hair that stays the same length, shedding hair...etc, be specific).
My hair is healthy right now, I'm working on keeping it that way and racking up several more inches.

Too many! :lol:
Poos: Elucence and Nexxus
Conditioners: Elucence, Nexxus, Nacidit Avocado, SWGM
Proteins: Emergencee, Keraphix
Leave-ins: Lacio Lacio, Phytodefrisant
Oils: Castor, Avocado

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. This starts your hair journal. Keep a journal at home to build upon. This will be used at a later time. If you can, take photos of your hair...front, back, side, different styles, etc. Keep them in your journal for now. You will be glad you had them later on!!! We will come back and visit this in a future posting.
It's officially been one year since I really learned something about growing longer hair. Before my hair was healthy in salon terms, now it truly has vitality. I learned that heat was a true hair killer for me. I took a 6 month sabbatical which really taught me about my hair and improved it's quality greatly. I use direct heat w/great infrequency and caution now. I have pics of my current hair as well as styles I wear most often in my album (see siggy).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wish all of you a wonderful journey. Don't worry yourself endlessly about how much your hair has or hasn't grown. Measure w/in reason, the more u do the more frustration. Look for changes in your hair that have nothing to do w/growth. I assure that if you see those, you are on the right track! Consistency is the most important factor seperating you from your goals.

Good Luck!

LoriLOCX

sengschick said:
4a/3c.... I have that dense, but super cottony soft hair. If you have it u know what I mean.

20" from hairline

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now? (e.g. "dry hair, weak hair, breaking hair, hair that stays the same length, shedding hair...etc, be specific).
My hair is healthy right now, I'm working on keeping it that way and racking up several more inches.

Too many! :lol:
Poos: Elucence and Nexxus
Conditioners: Elucence, Nexxus, Nacidit Avocado, SWGM
Proteins: Emergencee, Keraphix
Leave-ins: Lacio Lacio, Phytodefrisant
Oils: Castor, Avocado

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. This starts your hair journal. Keep a journal at home to build upon. This will be used at a later time. If you can, take photos of your hair...front, back, side, different styles, etc. Keep them in your journal for now. You will be glad you had them later on!!! We will come back and visit this in a future posting.
It's officially been one year since I really learned something about growing longer hair. Before my hair was healthy in salon terms, now it truly has vitality. I learned that heat was a true hair killer for me. I took a 6 month sabbatical which really taught me about my hair and improved it's quality greatly. I use direct heat w/great infrequency and caution now. I have pics of my current hair as well as styles I wear most often in my album (see siggy).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wish all of you a wonderful journey. Don't worry yourself endlessly about how much your hair has or hasn't grown. Measure w/in reason, the more u do the more frustration. Look for changes in your hair that have nothing to do w/growth. I assure that if you see those, you are on the right track! Consistency is the most important factor seperating you from your goals.

Good Luck!

Thank you Sengschick!!!
It is encouraging to know that LHCF members like you, DSD, and Bodicea are here to support us. You all have great journals and hair stories and always offer great advice. Looking forward to the months ahead.

I'm glad you mentioned not concentrating on the growth right away, because I was just commenting to DSD that my hair appearance and strength appears to have improved dramatically since I started the crave of daily con-poo'ing my hair. I've decided to give up shampoo...clarify every 4-6 weeks, and see how my texture changes, so I've been concentrating on first, getting my hair stronger...less shedding, breakage...split ends.

Sounds like we all have alot to gain from all we're hearing. Thank you. ;)

ShaylaAnn

4a/b

The front is hanging about an inch below my shoulder. The back is 2 inches from my bra strap.

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now?
The front half of my hair is at an even length. I wish it was thicker, but for some reason it's not really growing. I barely notice any new growth. The back of my hair is growing in pretty thick, but the ends are thin. So I will eventually need to cut them.

Creme of Nature Shampoo, Sulfer 8, Keracare oil moisturizer and some generic grease.

As a child, I was known as the "girl with the long hair." I believe it was at my waist. Around the age of 12, my mom got the bright idea to not only give me a perm, but also let ME do my own hair. Of course, I destroyed it. After that my mom started taking care of my hair and grew out the perm. It eventually got to mid-back length and very thick. In my sophmore year of high school, I decided to get a relaxer again and this time I took very good care of my hair. However, late 2001, during my 1st year of college, I went through some things and got really depressed. My hair started falling out and I really didn't care. I eventually stopped getting my touch ups and basically wore my hair in a ponytail every day, for a year since I didn't know how to do any natural styles. :(

Late 2003/early 2004, I got my hair relaxed AGAIN and also got an even shoulder length hair cut. I actually loved my hair at that length because it was so easy to wash and take care of.

Last week, when I got a touch-up, some of my hair was at my bra strap. It was uneven, thin, and unacceptable in my eyes. So I got a 2 inch trim. I think I could use another inch, but I'm trying to wait until the summer. At the moment, I'm not concerned about my hair length. My main goal is for my hair to be even and thick as it used to be.

This pick shows how my hair looked in June 2001 right before it started falling out
http://msshayla.com/images/shair2001.jpg

This pic was taken around November 2004 :eek:
http://msshayla.com/images/shair2004.jpg

Missa

1) Determine your hair type? 4a/b

2) Tell us how long your hair is now? My hair is about 2 1/2 inches since i did the big chop in November.

3) What condition is your hair in? My hair is currently colored and i have no chemicals in it. I did put a texturizer in it, when i first cut it off then decided to let it grow out. My hair tends to be on the dry side, but it has gotten much better since i started conditioning regularly.

4) What products are you currently using? Well lots of the sauve products, conditioners, and shampoos. I also use Queene Helen conditoning cholesterol gel and Loreal wave and curl maker gel. I also use shea butter and cocunt oil at times for either hot oil treatments or as a leave in.

5) I feel that no one has hair like me, i have had every hair style known to man in the last 3 years. I have always had really thick hair and when i was young it was down my back, but after a while it would only grow so long. I burn very fast and have never been able to get my hair bone straight so i have cut my hair real short and i have had it natural but it was very hard to deal with and with my job, it wasn't very excepted and i didn't know how to take care of it. I first saw this site about a year ago and since then i have tried growing my hair out with a perm but it never laid or had swing to it like every one else's hair i saw even when i wrapped it, it came out in a big poof. I never really conditioned my hair before i would only shampoo and then grease my scalp and lay it down with some gel. So i cut my hair into a bob then down to the Halle style, then finally i grew it out to about an inch of hair and then chopped it all off and then put a texturizer in my hair but it was only wavey not curly. But since the chemical has grown out when i put the gel in it, it's very curly and i love how easy it is. My mom said my hair has always been a curly, cottony type of texture so i guess that explains why i could never get all of the super straight hair styles like my friends. I am ready to grow my hair out long and healthy, but in a way where i can manage it and don't have to spend hours on it.

I am so happy and excitied to be starting this process along with everyone else!

xippy

DSD,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate!

After viewing your album and reading the Newcomers Guide, I am a true bun franatic. I love to wear my hair like this, especially to work. It gives me that clean professional look. With my bun and a suit, my co-workers know that I'm not going to take any prisoners. An added bonus is that I can go for a run on my lunch hour with getting a hair out of place.

That being said, someone told me that my edges can thin from wearing the same hair style all the time. Is there any truth to this? I thought thinning edges was only a problem with braided styles.

My maintenance plan is to braid my hair 6 - 7 weeks post-relaxer. Keep the braids in for another 6 weeks. When I remove the braids I'll let my hair rest for at least two weeks, then relax new growth and wear my hair in a bun until I'm again 6 weeks post-relaxer, and so on.

Please let me know if this sounds like a good plan. My braided style is going to be cornrows going back into (you guessed it) a bun. Am I setting myself up for thinning edges?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
cincybrownsugar said:
Thanks DSD !! I will not go to heavy on the trim, I will have someone else do it for me, because I get a little to scissor happy and then I am looking in the mirror :crying3: . Your hair is beautiful, very thick and healthy. When I use heat again I will have to try the bantu knots, they were gorgeous.
Aww! Thanks! Good Luck!;)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
lavendarlover said:

Hair type:

My hair story:

I don't want you to sell yourself short and I honestly don't think that it will take your hair 3 years to get to shoulder length. Your hair may seems to go slow because it is in it's natural state. I think you will find that your hair grows faster than you think because now you will be monitoring what is going on with your hair. Even if you get 4 inches in a year in 3 years that's 12 inches which is plenty especially if you measure from the length you have now.

Stay positive about your hair journey and don't sell your self short. You will be suprised what your hair can do!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
blissfullyblack said:
hi everyone:

i'm a newbie. i've been lurking on the site for about a month and decided to join a few days ago. Reading the posts and looking at everyone's albums has definitely got me really excited about taking care of my hair.

Hmm, we have to start with the touch question :) I think I'm 4a but I'm not 100% sure. I'm trying to stretch my relaxer so I will know for sure the longer I stretch.

Right now, the back of my hair touches my shoulders. The front and crown are any and every length :)

I have never had a problem with the back growing. It's the front and crown that give me constant issues. (It's helped a bit since I started wrapping consistently every night but I still get breakage.) So I would say that's my main issue. I also shed a lot, lot, lot, but it's gotten better since I started using Nexxus this year.

Nexxus Therappe and Humectress. Before that I was using Motions CPR. I also use pure Shea Butter. Still figuring out what other things work best for me, but I'm trying out Elasta QP Mango Butter and Surge.

Well I am (or was) tenderheaded and my mother did not have a gentle hand. By the time I was five, my hair touched my waist. Those three things made a terrible combination. To me, hair was pain and I hated it. I remember when my mom let me cut my hair around fourth grade, I was so so so so happy. I honestly never paid my hair much attention until a few years ago. Ever since the fourth grade chop, I kept it consistently between shoulder and chin length. I would cut it, parts (usually the back) would grow to my shoulders and then I would cut it again.

After I graduated college, I cut my hair in a relatively short cut. That's when I decided to take better care of it. But it was still a long process for me. I incorporated things very gradually as I learned about them.

I went back to school about a year and a half ago, and went on the lazy student regimen of washing my hair once a week, curling it only once a week and wrapping it every night. Now that I found this site, I realize now that what I contributed to being lazy was probably good for my hair. :)

In terms of questions, the one thing I'm not sure about are all the different oils. Coconut, Jojoba, Olive. Are they interchangeable or should I use one if i have a lot of breakage and another if my hair is dry, etc?
You poor darling!! Having long hair should not be painful.

So you have figured out that less manipulation and low heat are keys to growing hair longer. You are on the right track!

To answer your question...All of the above are wonderful oils. I use each of them for something different though.

I use olive oil in my pre shampoo treatments. It's a bit heavy for a daily headdress. I use coconut oil on my roots sometimes to help soften the newgrowth. I use jojoba oil as a sealent after I have apply my moisturizers.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
jaded_faerie said:
Im really not sure..id say 3c,4a

My hair is all kinds of lengths...its shoulder on the back, i have bangs in the front and my sides are right above chin.

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now? my hair condition is good, ive been taking care of my hair since August 2004. And my hair has improved as well as grown some bit.

right now i am not really using that many products...ive been using nioxin since August and plan to hop on the Nexxus bandwagon in April...i also use scurl on my ends, sebastian leave in, and s8 and glovers on my scalp...but i plan on changing the majority of my products in April.

5) My hair journey started August 2004, when my mama told me to stop wearing weaves and grow the hair God gave me..i was hesitant at first but i did...and stumbled across hair forums and from then on ive been taking care of my hair. Someday i hope to grow waist length hair....my pictures can be found in my album

Good Luck to you on your hair growing journey!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
DangerouslyShy said:
Great idea...let me give you my info....

1) Determine Your Hair Type: Well mine is a 3c/4a combo 3c more in the nape area and 4a towards the front....

2) Hair Length: Lol...not sure inches wise...my back is about an inch past shoulder length...and my sides are all over the place...(that is where i had the most breakage when I colored my hair) and my bangs are around the tip of my nose right now...

3) What Condition is My Hair In? As of now my hair is flourishing so much thicker...its getting longer....the color is growing out...and no breakage...

4) What Products Are You Currently Using?:
Shampoo and conditioner: Elucence Moisture Benefits
Oils: EVOO, Meadowfoam, Jojoba, Castor, and Carrot
Cremes: Mango Butter, Dudleys PCA
Other: Salerm (rollerset), NTM Deep Recovery (deep conditioner), S-curl (new growth moisturizer), Surge 14 (growth aide), and thats about it

5) My Hair Journey:

Ever since I started relaxing my hair (well when my mom started) my hair would hardly every grow past shoulder length. I hardly ever moisturized my hair so it was always dry and breaking. I found this site and I learned how to take care of my hair, and my hair is loving it. I colored my hair last spring/summer and it caused so much damage, i put a weave in and it made it worse because i was not moisturizing my own hair. After taking it out my hair had broken off so badly in some areas. Thank god my hair is so thick or I would of had to cut it. In some areas my hair was about two inches. Since then, I tried transitioning but I decided to texturize my hair instead. What I have been doing to keep it healthy is to surge and moisturize every day, wear protective styles like weaves to protect my hair from the elements. And it has been helping.

Good luck on your Journey everyone!!!
You are looking good!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
songbyrd517 said:
This is great guys :yep: ! I'm still kind of new and I still need much help and I still have a long way to go, so I want to join if I can.

1) Determine Your Hair Type - I still am not so sure, but I think I am either a 3c, a 4a, or a 3c/4a... possibly? (pic in my profile, and more pics in album)

2) Tell us how long your hair is now. My hair is about 13 inches long, about an inch past my shoulders.

3) What condition is your hair In? I am transitioning (I am not big chopping, I will just gradually cut off the relaxed ends as needed), and my hair is not in the best condition, but it is not bad. It's getting better though. My biggest problems now are dryness, breakage, and getting a faster growth rate. My hair used to grow faster, so I think my scalp has suffered some chemical damage. I guess I just have to wait for it to heal. Any suggestions? I thought of using vitamin E oil and Surge on my scalp. I've never used Surge. What do you guys think?

Shampoo - Creme of Nature

Conditioner - Moisture/Detangling:Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol, Parnevu Organic Hair Mayonnaise - Protein: Aphogee 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor (my hair can't take hard protein, I use only as needed), and Porosity Control to gradually correct the porosity of my hair (only as needed)

Deep conditioner - Parnevu Organic Hair Mayonnaise, Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol

Styling Products - Kemi Oyl, Fantasia IC Shine Serum, Fantasia IC Straightening Serum (only when flat ironing), Parnevu Shining Gel (may switch to JAM), ORS Olive Oil Sheen

Detangler - my conditioner detangles pretty good.

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. About me: I am trying very hard to get my hair in the best health, keep it that way, and retain lots of length. When I was younger, my hair was very long, about mid-back length (that's when mommy was taking care of it and before I unknowingly decided to kill it. I got my first relaxer when I was about 11, and my mother always used mild, however, I did not know this. Then, when I was about 12, I got the "I wanna do my own hair" syndrome, and I am so mad I did. I didn't really know what I was doing, so I enlisted my sister's help (like she did:laugh:) In short, she, as well as I, destroyed my hair. Her hair is thicker and more coarse than mine, so she uses regular relaxers, and thought she could put them in my hair,and we did them too often. This went on for years, and I ended up with thin, brittle, dry hair and breaking hair that seemed like it wasn't growing. Then I went through scissor-happiness trying to be cute. It took me until my 1st year in college, 2002, to realize that I had a different hair texture than I thought previously and that I should use a mild relaxer (smart huh?)... and stop using "no- lye". Since then, my hair is a lot thicker (I have fine hair unfortunately) but for some reason, I can't seem to get my hair much longer than it is now. I want to be brastrap - waist length.

Surge will definitely help you speed up your growth. As far as the scalp healing, I guess it depends on what type of damage you have. I have heard that vitamin e oil is get for helping with scalp problems. Good Luck!

Trust me with being re-educated about hair care I am sure you hair can grow brastrap length and beyond! HHG

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
ShaylaAnn said:
4a/b

The front is hanging about an inch below my shoulder. The back is 2 inches from my bra strap.

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now?
The front half of my hair is at an even length. I wish it was thicker, but for some reason it's not really growing. I barely notice any new growth. The back of my hair is growing in pretty thick, but the ends are thin. So I will eventually need to cut them.

Creme of Nature Shampoo, Sulfer 8, Keracare oil moisturizer and some generic grease.

As a child, I was known as the "girl with the long hair." I believe it was at my waist. Around the age of 12, my mom got the bright idea to not only give me a perm, but also let ME do my own hair. Of course, I destroyed it. After that my mom started taking care of my hair and grew out the perm. It eventually got to mid-back length and very thick. In my sophmore year of high school, I decided to get a relaxer again and this time I took very good care of my hair. However, late 2001, during my 1st year of college, I went through some things and got really depressed. My hair started falling out and I really didn't care. I eventually stopped getting my touch ups and basically wore my hair in a ponytail every day, for a year since I didn't know how to do any natural styles. :(

Late 2003/early 2004, I got my hair relaxed AGAIN and also got an even shoulder length hair cut. I actually loved my hair at that length because it was so easy to wash and take care of.

Last week, when I got a touch-up, some of my hair was at my bra strap. It was uneven, thin, and unacceptable in my eyes. So I got a 2 inch trim. I think I could use another inch, but I'm trying to wait until the summer. At the moment, I'm not concerned about my hair length. My main goal is for my hair to be even and thick as it used to be.

This pick shows how my hair looked in June 2001 right before it started falling out
http://msshayla.com/images/shair2001.jpg

This pic was taken around November 2004 :eek:
http://msshayla.com/images/shair2004.jpg

It is fine to not concentrate on length because with getting your hair healthy the length will eventually come!! Happy Hair Growing to you!!

mvonnesha

Hi all, I want to join.

1) I think my hair type is 4a, but it's also very hard to curl like the 1B type.

2)My hair barely touches my collarbone when its completely straight.

3) I'm 6 weeks post relaxer and my hair is not colored. I thought my hair was thin, but when I took pictures of it, it looked like it was very thick. So i'm going to say its medium thickness. I trimmed my hair about three weeks ago. My hair is currently in braids. I'm trying to extend my relaxer until the first week of June. When I extend my relaxer, I have more breakage. Right now, my hair is healthy.

4) I started using Mane and tail conditioner as a leave in. I wash my hair with a knock off mane and tail shampoo. I use Lustrasilk's cholestrol conditioner, mixed with shea butter and coconut oil as my deep conditioner. I just bought neutrogena's triple moisture conditioner. My daily product that makes my hair unbelievably soft is World of Curls comb out conditioner and oil sheen moisturizer. I use coconut oil with the baggie method, when my hair is out. My hair seems to respond the best to cheap products.

5) My mother used to say if something happened to me, she would not be able to give the police a description of me, because I used to change my hair daily. Over the years, I have tried tons of color and different styles. I have had glue in weaves, sew ins, weaves attached with wax, braids, short styles, ponytails,etc. Anytime a new style or technique came out, I had to try it.
My hair has always seemed strong, because no matter what I did to it, it would grow back quickly. Four years ago, I got sick of doing my hair and cut all of it off( I was Micheal Jordan bald). Its still growing back. Before finding this forum, I was not really concerned about the health of my hair, or growing it long. Now I want to see what I can achieve by taking care of it.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Missa said:
1) Determine your hair type? 4a/b

2) Tell us how long your hair is now? My hair is about 2 1/2 inches since i did the big chop in November.

3) What condition is your hair in? My hair is currently colored and i have no chemicals in it. I did put a texturizer in it, when i first cut it off then decided to let it grow out. My hair tends to be on the dry side, but it has gotten much better since i started conditioning regularly.

4) What products are you currently using? Well lots of the sauve products, conditioners, and shampoos. I also use Queene Helen conditoning cholesterol gel and Loreal wave and curl maker gel. I also use shea butter and cocunt oil at times for either hot oil treatments or as a leave in.

5) I feel that no one has hair like me, i have had every hair style known to man in the last 3 years. I have always had really thick hair and when i was young it was down my back, but after a while it would only grow so long. I burn very fast and have never been able to get my hair bone straight so i have cut my hair real short and i have had it natural but it was very hard to deal with and with my job, it wasn't very excepted and i didn't know how to take care of it. I first saw this site about a year ago and since then i have tried growing my hair out with a perm but it never laid or had swing to it like every one else's hair i saw even when i wrapped it, it came out in a big poof. I never really conditioned my hair before i would only shampoo and then grease my scalp and lay it down with some gel. So i cut my hair into a bob then down to the Halle style, then finally i grew it out to about an inch of hair and then chopped it all off and then put a texturizer in my hair but it was only wavey not curly. But since the chemical has grown out when i put the gel in it, it's very curly and i love how easy it is. My mom said my hair has always been a curly, cottony type of texture so i guess that explains why i could never get all of the super straight hair styles like my friends. I am ready to grow my hair out long and healthy, but in a way where i can manage it and don't have to spend hours on it.

I am so happy and excitied to be starting this process along with everyone else!
I am glad to hear that you are ready to grow some hair!!Good Luck on your hair growing journey!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
xippy said:
DSD,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate!

After viewing your album and reading the Newcomers Guide, I am a true bun franatic. I love to wear my hair like this, especially to work. It gives me that clean professional look. With my bun and a suit, my co-workers know that I'm not going to take any prisoners. An added bonus is that I can go for a run on my lunch hour with getting a hair out of place.

That being said, someone told me that my edges can thin from wearing the same hair style all the time. Is there any truth to this? I thought thinning edges was only a problem with braided styles.

My maintenance plan is to braid my hair 6 - 7 weeks post-relaxer. Keep the braids in for another 6 weeks. When I remove the braids I'll let my hair rest for at least two weeks, then relax new growth and wear my hair in a bun until I'm again 6 weeks post-relaxer, and so on.

Please let me know if this sounds like a good plan. My braided style is going to be cornrows going back into (you guessed it) a bun. Am I setting myself up for thinning edges?
You are welcome!

I have basically been wearing the same hair style for the past year and a half and I have had no problems with thinning. I think it has to do with how you care for your edges not what style you wear.

Your plan sounds pretty good and it's simple. Good Luck!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
tryn2growmyhair said:
DSD, do you recommend the daily CWs still? Thanks in advance for your response.
Yes I do!! If wasn't so lazy now a days I would still be doing them. Maybe I will pick them back up again in the spring!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
mvonnesha said:
Hi all, I want to join.

1) I think my hair type is 4a, but it's also very hard to curl like the 1B type.

2)My hair barely touches my collarbone when its completely straight.

3) I'm 6 weeks post relaxer and my hair is not colored. I thought my hair was thin, but when I took pictures of it, it looked like it was very thick. So i'm going to say its medium thickness. I trimmed my hair about three weeks ago. My hair is currently in braids. I'm trying to extend my relaxer until the first week of June. When I extend my relaxer, I have more breakage. Right now, my hair is healthy.

4) I started using Mane and tail conditioner as a leave in. I wash my hair with a knock off mane and tail shampoo. I use Lustrasilk's cholestrol conditioner, mixed with shea butter and coconut oil as my deep conditioner. I just bought neutrogena's triple moisture conditioner. My daily product that makes my hair unbelievably soft is World of Curls comb out conditioner and oil sheen moisturizer. I use coconut oil with the baggie method, when my hair is out. My hair seems to respond the best to cheap products.

5) My mother used to say if something happened to me, she would not be able to give the police a description of me, because I used to change my hair daily. Over the years, I have tried tons of color and different styles. I have had glue in weaves, sew ins, weaves attached with wax, braids, short styles, ponytails,etc. Anytime a new style or technique came out, I had to try it.
My hair has always seemed strong, because no matter what I did to it, it would grow back quickly. Four years ago, I got sick of doing my hair and cut all of it off( I was Micheal Jordan bald). Its still growing back. Before finding this forum, I was not really concerned about the health of my hair, or growing it long. Now I want to see what I can achieve by taking care of it.
If extending your relaxer is causing breakage I would suggest you not go as long as you plan. You have to do what is best for your hair!!

MSee

Hi I would certainly like to join

I am still trying to learn the different aspects of this forum but this thread has caught my attention.

1. I am a 4b

2. My hair is just touching my neck and of variable length. Its about 3 inches in some areas.

3. Presently my hair is dry and dificult to style. There is also some breakage.

4. I am currently experimenting (my hair story would explain why). My options where I live is limited because the island have been though a crisis that resulted in a lot of stores closing and others reducing their merchandise. What I've tried so far is certainly not sufficient (motions leave in, motions oil moisturizer and the setting lotion, perfectiv product etc.). I am going to purchase some of the products I've learned about on this site on line.

5. I always had short (picky), dry hair as a child. One of my sisters took a liking to cornrows, and braiding and my hair started to 'pick up' in my teens as I was her favorite client. I got my first relaxer in my teens and thought I had died and my head was in hell. Anyway I found a stylist who tried Revlon lye (mild) and not only did the burning I usually got reduced, but along with using Always products and the attention I gave it, my hair quality was amazing (but my scalp was peeling and and there as breakage because I loved grease and would relax every 6 weekes despite the fact that my hair grew slowly). People were always amazed at the blackness and silkyness though and styling was a breeze.

Things have changed since then and I've been to a number of bad hair experiences. Found out that no-lye relaxers hate my hair and scalp. I actualy liked PCJ but it turned my hair about 3-4 shades lighter( I've worn 4b braids to match). The last stylist I went to kept changing the relaxer, told me I shouldn't stay longer than six weeks without a touch up even when I have dandruf and the last relaxing experience was so bad I decided I'll never go back to a hair dresser. I prayed and went on line to find out about hair care and this sit was one of the first I came up on. (I also got Kathy Hawes' book)That was last October and I knew it was answer to my prayer. One of the first things I tried was pre poo and a molasses deep conditioner that I read about and that reduced my breakage significantly. I sretched my relaxer 3 months and got some Revlon, mixed it with 1 tble spoon EVOO and with my husband's help I relaxed my hair. It was under processed though because I panicked and washed it out too soon. So I've been reading about new products on this web site and considering which is the best on line site to purchase (I can only find the Always grease where I live now). Although the state of my hair makes me want to cry, it has improved significantlyfrom October and I am determined that it will only get better.

carribslc

Hello! I definitely want to join!

Here is my information:
=================
1) Determine Your Hair Type
From what I read about, I determine it to be about 4a/4b

2) Tell us how long your hair is now
Not very long. My hair reaches mid-nape [what you would call earlobe – length]. The front is about 5 inches, and the back is 3.5 inches.

My hair use used to look real thin because of my excessive heat use. I used to use heat all the time but I completely banned that habit. Now, thanks to LHCF, it’s healthy because I moisturize everyday, and take good care of it. Right now, I’m trying to figure out how to use protective styles with such short hair.

Remedi Botanical Strengthening Shampoo, Remedi Fortify Crème Leave-in Conditioner, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo, Conditioner and Shine Serum, Luster’s Pink No-Lye Crème Relaxer, Lekair Cholesterol Plus, Surge Plus 14 Hair Revitalizer, DOO GRO Stimulating Growth Oil, Elasta QP Mango Butter

5) Briefly tell us your hair story
As a child my hair was “steel wool” texture. It used to be a nightmare when my mom would comb my hair. When I got a relaxer at the age of 12, my hair was thick and average length [just above shoulder], but that didn’t last for too long. During my high school years, stress caused my hair to break off significantly. I didn’t really know how to take care of my hair so it never got past shoulder length. In my first year of college I went natural. Long story short, I reunited with “steel wool” texture, and then got a relaxer a year later. I recently joined LHCF, so I’m really giving my hair the attention it needs. With TLC and a lot of prayer, I ready for the battle!!! :rosebud:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Millie_C said:
Hi I would certainly like to join

I am still trying to learn the different aspects of this forum but this thread has caught my attention.

1. I am a 4b

2. My hair is just touching my neck and of variable length. Its about 3 inches in some areas.

3. Presently my hair is dry and dificult to style. There is also some breakage.

4. I am currently experimenting (my hair story would explain why). My options where I live is limited because the island have been though a crisis that resulted in a lot of stores closing and others reducing their merchandise. What I've tried so far is certainly not sufficient (motions leave in, motions oil moisturizer and the setting lotion, perfectiv product etc.). I am going to purchase some of the products I've learned about on this site on line.

5. I always had short (picky), dry hair as a child. One of my sisters took a liking to cornrows, and braiding and my hair started to 'pick up' in my teens as I was her favorite client. I got my first relaxer in my teens and thought I had died and my head was in hell. Anyway I found a stylist who tried Revlon lye (mild) and not only did the burning I usually got reduced, but along with using Always products and the attention I gave it, my hair quality was amazing (but my scalp was peeling and and there as breakage because I loved grease and would relax every 6 weekes despite the fact that my hair grew slowly). People were always amazed at the blackness and silkyness though and styling was a breeze.

Things have changed since then and I've been to a number of bad hair experiences. Found out that no-lye relaxers hate my hair and scalp. I actualy liked PCJ but it turned my hair about 3-4 shades lighter( I've worn 4b braids to match). The last stylist I went to kept changing the relaxer, told me I shouldn't stay longer than six weeks without a touch up even when I have dandruf and the last relaxing experience was so bad I decided I'll never go back to a hair dresser. I prayed and went on line to find out about hair care and this sit was one of the first I came up on. (I also got Kathy Hawes' book)That was last October and I knew it was answer to my prayer. One of the first things I tried was pre poo and a molasses deep conditioner that I read about and that reduced my breakage significantly. I sretched my relaxer 3 months and got some Revlon, mixed it with 1 tble spoon EVOO and with my husband's help I relaxed my hair. It was under processed though because I panicked and washed it out too soon. So I've been reading about new products on this web site and considering which is the best on line site to purchase (I can only find the Always grease where I live now). Although the state of my hair makes me want to cry, it has improved significantlyfrom October and I am determined that it will only get better.
It's wonderful to hear that your hair has improved. Keep giving it that tlc and you should be just fine.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
carribslc said:

Hello! I definitely want to join!

Here is my information:
=================
1) Determine Your Hair Type
From what I read about, I determine it to be about 4a/4b

2) Tell us how long your hair is now
Not very long. My hair reaches mid-nape [what you would call earlobe – length]. The front is about 5 inches, and the back is 3.5 inches.

My hair use used to look real thin because of my excessive heat use. I used to use heat all the time but I completely banned that habit. Now, thanks to LHCF, it’s healthy because I moisturize everyday, and take good care of it. Right now, I’m trying to figure out how to use protective styles with such short hair.

Remedi Botanical Strengthening Shampoo, Remedi Fortify Crème Leave-in Conditioner, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo, Conditioner and Shine Serum, Luster’s Pink No-Lye Crème Relaxer, Lekair Cholesterol Plus, Surge Plus 14 Hair Revitalizer, DOO GRO Stimulating Growth Oil, Elasta QP Mango Butter

5) Briefly tell us your hair story
As a child my hair was “steel wool” texture. It used to be a nightmare when my mom would comb my hair. When I got a relaxer at the age of 12, my hair was thick and average length [just above shoulder], but that didn’t last for too long. During my high school years, stress caused my hair to break off significantly. I didn’t really know how to take care of my hair so it never got past shoulder length. In my first year of college I went natural. Long story short, I reunited with “steel wool” texture, and then got a relaxer a year later. I recently joined LHCF, so I’m really giving my hair the attention it needs. With TLC and a lot of prayer, I ready for the battle!!! :rosebud:
It's good to hear you are ready!! I wish you a wonderful hair growing journey!