• Forum Upgraded: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/recent-forum-upgrade.849851/

Newcomer's Growing Out Club

Ashee

New Member
I'm really late on this.. can I join?!!

1) Determine Your Hair Type:
4a/C/iii

2) Tell us how long your hair is now:
19+ inches from hairline to eands back
15+ inches from top of head to back ends

3) What condition is your Hair In?
Right now I'm not really going through too much. Since being on different boards I have eliminated dry hair for the most part, excess shedding & breakage. I would like to see more of a dramatic change in growth & to improve my stretchout method!

4) What Products are your currently using?
Nexxus Poo & Con; NTM Con & Masque; ORS Poo, Con, & Temple Balm; Surge; MNT Hair Strengthener; Essential Oils; TCB Con; Suave Poo & Con; Fantasia Poo & Serum; Culture Con & Natural Relaxer; Profective Anti-Breakage. These are my main ones give or take...

5) Briefly tell us your hair story.
This was taken from my journal:
In the begining it was wonderful! Natural hair that was simply pressed. Thick, sexy hair... It was drama but it was healthy! Then one day, mommy got heated with the troublesome unmanagability and took me on a trip to the salon. The day was bright and sweet...

Ah, I remember it well!

I was sooo excited, but little did I know what was to follow. The breakage, the high-profiled hair care, the expense, the damage from all directions, the "I can't get my hair wet, I just got it done" moments, the fear of going to just "anybody" to do my hair... Yes, those "secrets" were well kept. It was as if I got in on the business from the ground up. Now all these new improvements, or ways for people to share secrets are out, I now see how uneducated even the professionals were.

I should have known that there would be trouble when the stylist said that my hair was "so thick and long"... That was the last time I heard those words & the amazement in someone's voice...

After years of struggling & being fed up with paying for products that did nothing I sought out help. Via the web was my salvation, Message Boards. From these slick tools I found out that I was not the only one suffering shortcomings in having the hair "behave". I was not the only one feeling frustration in failed ventures and wasted money. Now I feel like I CAN get a hold of my hair & get it back in line! ATTENTION SOLDIER, IT'S TIME FOR MISSION GROW & RETAIN!!
 

LoriLOCX

New Member
Never too late girlfriend!!!! ;)

WELCOME :D

Glad to have you and see that you have a handle on your hair. Join us in the next posting. We've moved the next thread... "Newcomer's Growing OUt Club - First Milestone. In this post, we are discussing our regular routines and sticking with them over the next 2 months....posting results, asking questions, doing product reviews, and sharing protective style methods.

This is some serious business of hair, huh???
I'm glad you joined. Can't wait to read your responses in the next post!!!



Ashee said:
I'm really late on this.. can I join?!!

1) Determine Your Hair Type:
4a/C/iii

2) Tell us how long your hair is now:
19+ inches from hairline to eands back
15+ inches from top of head to back ends

3) What condition is your Hair In?
Right now I'm not really going through too much. Since being on different boards I have eliminated dry hair for the most part, excess shedding & breakage. I would like to see more of a dramatic change in growth & to improve my stretchout method!

4) What Products are your currently using?
Nexxus Poo & Con; NTM Con & Masque; ORS Poo, Con, & Temple Balm; Surge; MNT Hair Strengthener; Essential Oils; TCB Con; Suave Poo & Con; Fantasia Poo & Serum; Culture Con & Natural Relaxer; Profective Anti-Breakage. These are my main ones give or take...

5) Briefly tell us your hair story.
This was taken from my journal:
 

LoriLOCX

New Member
onepraying said:
[It's gonna happen for ya Lori, just watch and see. Eventhrough all you've been through, you still maintain hope. That is very inspirational.

The thing is, we will always have hair, it's up to us what condition that hair will be in.

Getting knowledge, understanding, learning know-how and keeping an optimistic outlook in the face of everything are keys to healthy hair; length will come...(borrowed that one from you DSD! :up: )

You are sooooo sweet!!! Thank you....and I'm never giving up. :kiss:
 

LoriLOCX

New Member
sugarsweet said:
Hello LoriLOCX sorry it took me so long to reply my computer has been acting crazy. Glad to finally find someone who's hair is similar to mine maybe we can be hair buddies and help each other out along the way. :grin:
I also use wgo, doo gro, olive oil and vo5. I also have parts of my hair that grows straight depending on how well I take care of my hair. My hair is so weird I don't even know it's true texture because the healthier it gets the better it looks. That is why I really want to take the steps in making my hair as healthy as can be.


Awesome girl!!!!
I too have been away for a minute...burning candle at both ends. Anyway, yes, hair buddies we are.....and comparing notes is what I'm living and loving to do!!!!
 

tanyshar

Member
Hi Ladies,
I also want to join in if possible! I'm sorry I'm so late however I am new to the boards.
1) Hair Type: 4a

2) Current Length: Grazing Shoulders Sides are chin length
I currently have my hair in braids

3) Condition of Hair: My Hair is kind of dry I 've been tring to grow my hair but cant stick to one thing b/c I am constantly going from a phony pony to a Fall to whatever...Now I am in microbraids for the 1st time

4) Products: I dont currently have any products that I have in regular rotation.

5) Brief Hair story:
Well, I've never had hair that went too much past my shoulders, When I was about 11 years old on a dare from my cousin I cut my ponytails in the back of my head off. Needless to say I got in serious trouble and to make matters worse seems like my hair never grew long again.
Anyways my hair texture is fine and can be very dry at times I used to have really bad dandruff. Not too bad now too many different styles not enough TLC to make a long story short.
 

tinkat

Well-Known Member
I want to join too!

1)4a/b
2)Touching shoulders
3)Condition of my hair is pretty healthy with the regimine but overall i say its ok because I need a good trim and my ends are thin.
4)The Products that I use are Africa Best Organics, Queen Helene, SheaMoisture, and Sanniyah's Shampoo and Hot oil Treatment.
5)My Hair story is in my journal.
 

vickyd

New Member
I'd like to join too. I have just come back to LHCF and I want to jump right in feet first.

1) Determine you hair type - I just have had no clue, I posted some pictures and someone suggested type 2 with some 3 on the sides. Help please --
http://public.fotki.com/VickiD/what_hair_type_is_this/

2) How long is your hair now - Around shoulder length or maybe flip length

3) What condition is you hair in? pretty good I would say but my ends are pretty dry.

4) What products are you currently using?
Where do I begin (reforming pj) -- mainly Loreal Vive Smooth Intense line;
coconut milk and evoo (pretreatment); some aubrey organics samples; i have a phytorelaxer but I haven't used it yet; I have some other phyto products the vital creme bath/intense shampoo/phytolisse/phytobalm/phyto straigthening gel

5) Briefly tell us your hair story? I was natural until about 9th grade when I got a mild revlon relaxer. I didn't really keep it up but may hair didn't seem to suffer much. In high school I got my first hair style and asymetric cut and after my hair grew out from that style a I cut to another style. When I went to college I rocked a bun all the time. Everytime my hair grew I cut it. Then, while pregrnant I noticed some loss of hair at the temples and it has been thin there ever since--although I did have bald spots now I have some hair growing in. I have been reading so much about hair that I now want my hair to be long, strong, beautiful and healthy.
 

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
tanyshar said:
Hi Ladies,
I also want to join in if possible! I'm sorry I'm so late however I am new to the boards.
1) Hair Type: 4a

2) Current Length: Grazing Shoulders Sides are chin length
I currently have my hair in braids

3) Condition of Hair: My Hair is kind of dry I 've been tring to grow my hair but cant stick to one thing b/c I am constantly going from a phony pony to a Fall to whatever...Now I am in microbraids for the 1st time

4) Products: I dont currently have any products that I have in regular rotation.

5) Brief Hair story:
Well, I've never had hair that went too much past my shoulders, When I was about 11 years old on a dare from my cousin I cut my ponytails in the back of my head off. Needless to say I got in serious trouble and to make matters worse seems like my hair never grew long again.
Anyways my hair texture is fine and can be very dry at times I used to have really bad dandruff. Not too bad now too many different styles not enough TLC to make a long story short.
Hi and welcome to the club!! :wave:

You were truly brave in letting your cousin cut off your ponytails in the back!! Your hair can grow long and strong again with the knowledge and a little tlc!
 

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
tinkat said:
I want to join too!

1)4a/b
2)Touching shoulders
3)Condition of my hair is pretty healthy with the regimine but overall i say its ok because I need a good trim and my ends are thin.
4)The Products that I use are Africa Best Organics, Queen Helene, SheaMoisture, and Sanniyah's Shampoo and Hot oil Treatment.
5)My Hair story is in my journal.
Welcome! I am headed to read your story now!! :wave:
 

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
vickyd said:
I'd like to join too. I have just come back to LHCF and I want to jump right in feet first.

1) Determine you hair type - I just have had no clue, I posted some pictures and someone suggested type 2 with some 3 on the sides. Help please --
http://public.fotki.com/VickiD/what_hair_type_is_this/

2) How long is your hair now - Around shoulder length or maybe flip length

3) What condition is you hair in? pretty good I would say but my ends are pretty dry.

4) What products are you currently using?
Where do I begin (reforming pj) -- mainly Loreal Vive Smooth Intense line;
coconut milk and evoo (pretreatment); some aubrey organics samples; i have a phytorelaxer but I haven't used it yet; I have some other phyto products the vital creme bath/intense shampoo/phytolisse/phytobalm/phyto straigthening gel

5) Briefly tell us your hair story? I was natural until about 9th grade when I got a mild revlon relaxer. I didn't really keep it up but may hair didn't seem to suffer much. In high school I got my first hair style and asymetric cut and after my hair grew out from that style a I cut to another style. When I went to college I rocked a bun all the time. Everytime my hair grew I cut it. Then, while pregrnant I noticed some loss of hair at the temples and it has been thin there ever since--although I did have bald spots now I have some hair growing in. I have been reading so much about hair that I now want my hair to be long, strong, beautiful and healthy.
Welcome! :wave:

You really can't tell your hair type by the pics. You need just a little more newgrowth. If your hair stays wavy like the newgrowth I see I would put you in the 2-3 catergory.
 

vickyd

New Member
Re: hair type

dontspeakdefeat said:

thanks for the welcome DSD and I am holding off with relaxing for a little while longer and I will post some new new growth photos in a few days. Thanks for your help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SisterGirl*

New Member
LoriLOCX said:
Welcome Newcomers to LHCF! We are all excited and overwhelmed with information, how to use this site, what products to use, what all these abbreviations mean, and what's the right regime for "ME".

Here is where we will all begin. We have many things to accomplish and it will be a lot of fun doing it together. You will not be in this alone. Fortunately for us, we have a few veterans of the forum looking on for moral support, starting with our very own , "DONTSPEAKDEFEAT"author of the very valuable guide

A Newcomer's Guide to Starting Out
Print it out and read it! IT'S AWESOME!!!!

This will be our HAIR BIBLE. This is where all our growth will begin. We will learn and grow and grow and GROW together, through driven inspiration sparked by new knowledge and our changing hair.

So, with that said, if you want to join the club and get on the bandwagon to begin your journey to everlasting long healthy beautiful hair, just complete the following and report back here with your info by Friday, March 11th. That will give everyone time to read through all newcomer postings. For the next few weeks, ask all the questions you have in this same posting. At the end of the month, we should be ready to move on to our next "TO DO" list. The next posting will be found under "NEWCOMER'S GROWING OUT CLUB - MILESTONE 1”. It will be posted on March 11th. We will post the "TO DO" list on the 11th of each month. This will give us time in between to review all the questions and answers that may follow each posting period. Now, make sure you save all threads in your FAVORITES so you can refer back to them.

Let's get started!
Let’s get to know a little something about each other.
Here's your very first Newcomer Grow Club TO DO list:
-------------------------------------------
I'd like to join this Club! :wave:

Iv'e been picking up tips since Jan. but I would like to establish a consistent regime.

1) Determine Your Hair Type -
I believe My hair type to be 4b

2) Tell us how long your hair is now.
Brastrap with some damaged areas. Over and underprocessed. :perplexed

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now? (e.g. "dry hair, weak hair, breaking hair, hair that stays the same length, shedding hair...etc, be specific). My major hair challenge was dry hair, I tried braids off and on, and never consistently keep my hair moisterized. I'm just thankful that I have the hair I do have, and I'm trying to make up for all the years I mistreated it. Now, thanks to Cathy House and LHCF I've learned more about moisterizers. I''m still battling some shedding issues. :confused:

4) What Products are you currently using?
I have Nexxus, NTM, olive, coconut and jojoba oils, mango butter, MNT shampoo and conditioner, UBH, and Audbrey GPB protein, but my most recent discovery is profectiv after using these products, I began to understand the ladies comments about being in love with their hair. I can not keep my hands out of it

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. This starts your hair journal. Keep a journal at home to build upon. This will be used at a later time. If you can, take photos of your hair...front, back, side, different styles, etc. Keep them in your journal for now. You will be glad you had them later on!!! We will come back and visit this in a future posting.

I never had long hair, even as a child. The longest my hair got was to my shoulders, barely, however, it was healthy. The downhill journey began in the 4th grade when I received my first perm. My sister and I were tenderheaded and our beautician was tired of dealing with our 4b natural hair. We cried every single time. So she convinced my parents that we needed relaxers. And, as little girls, all we knew was that It didnt hurt any more, so we were happy. This is how I learned how to apply relaxers from the root to the tip. After so many times, of watching her apply relaxer from the root to the tip, I honestly did not know there was any other way to do it. As, I got older 5th grade I think, I began to do my own hair and, just as my beauticain had, my entire head received the perm. Unfortunately, my mother did not know any better either. And since, I never got it completely straight, I would have to go over it with the hot comb, followed by the curling or crimping iron for style. I used grease and never knew about moisterizers until maybe 9th grade. Yes and the beloved Pink Oil Moisterizer was my stable product, it was a pretty pink color and I liked the smell it had. I just didnt know any better. My poor hair probably got washed once a month and I never conditioned it. Let alone deep condition. I was more concerned with it staying straight than its health. The best thing that happen to my hair was in the 11th grade when I got braids and wore them through the 12th grade. It kept me from completely destroying my hair with relaxers and hot combs. Since then I have lightend up with the hot comb, but I still have so much to learn about my hair and proper care and maintainence. I'm tired of running back to the braids to give it time to recover from my ill treament. I mean I still love braids, and one day will go back to them, but I dont want to hide behind them any more., and I want my future daughter to have healthy hair without having to make the mistakes that I have.
Thank-you to all of the unselfish ladies who have shared their stories so that others might benefit. :)
 
Last edited:
Top