Newcomer's Growing Out Club

Boadicea

xippy said:
That being said, someone told me that my edges can thin from wearing the same hair style all the time. Is there any truth to this? I thought thinning edges was only a problem with braided styles.

This depends on what your hair can take and how you treat it. I've been bunning for several years and have never noticed any thin edges, but when I extend my relaxer my edges become thin because I often get impatient and want to comb through that section very fast.

Be slow and gentle when combing/brushing your hair and if you feel that a particular area is weaker than others, give that area special attention. Perhaps a little more moisturizer than you'd give another section or parting that section and combing it seperately at first and then combing it with the rest, etc.

asubeauty

This was such a great idea! I can't wait to see growth!! Sorry it's so long, but I got excited. :grin:

1) Hair Type - 4a/4b

2) Length - Just above armpit length

3) What condition is your Hair In? My hair is thinner than it used to be and breaking. No matter what I do, there is hair all over the bathroom sink, in my combs, in my fingers when I put my hands in my hair (which my contribute). I have very dry scalp and dandruff, but I find dandruff shampoos are very drying. I would wash more, but I don't think my hair can take it. Right now it grows in a V (no matter what I do!) and the tip of the V is right above armpit length.

4) What Products are your currently using? Doo Gro Stimulating Dandruff Shampoo (I know that I said that dandruff shampoos are drying, but this one isn't that bad, and I like the tingle!), Doo Gro Conditioner, Main and Tail Leave in, EQP foam setting lotion, EQP mango butter, EQP breakage control serum, and VO5 conditioners

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. I high school, my hair was bsl. I washed and conditioned once a week with Doo Gro, did a wet wrap, and sprayed with an oil sheen spray when I combed it out every day. I wrapped it every nite. When I got to college, my hair started breaking and thinning. It may have been the stress of my first year of college, the hard water, or a combo of both. In an attempt to at least keep my hair healthy, I trimmed the ends a lot. It seemed that every time I trimmed some damaged, uneven, or thin ends off, they would come back, causing me to have to trim again. Because of the constant trimming, I am now above armpit length. :(

I recently found a very nice, understanding stylist, who I will stick with for my touch- ups.

Last semester, I stumbled upon LHCF, which I stalked :sekret: (lol). I tried some of the things on the board, can't wait to try some others, and now I am here.

Last edited:

LoriLOCX

asubeauty said:
This was such a great idea! I can't wait to see growth!! Sorry it's so long, but I got excited. :grin:

1) Hair Type - 4a/4b

2) Length - Just above armpit length

3) What condition is your Hair In? My hair is thinner than it used to be and breaking. No matter what I do, there is hair all over the bathroom sink, in my combs, in my fingers when I put my hands in my hair (which my contribute). I have very dry scalp and dandruff, but I find dandruff shampoos are very drying. I would wash more, but I don't think my hair can take it. Right now it grows in a V (no matter what I do!) and the tip of the V is right above armpit length.

4) What Products are your currently using? Doo Gro Stimulating Dandruff Shampoo (I know that I said that dandruff shampoos are drying, but this one isn't that bad, and I like the tingle!), Doo Gro Conditioner, Main and Tail Leave in, EQP foam setting lotion, EQP mango butter, EQP breakage control serum, and VO5 conditioners

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. I high school, my hair was bsl. I washed and conditioned once a week with Doo Gro, did a wet wrap, and sprayed with an oil sheen spray when I combed it out every day. I wrapped it every nite. When I got to college, my hair started breaking and thinning. It may have been the stress of my first year of college, the hard water, or a combo of both. In an attempt to at least keep my hair healthy, I trimmed the ends a lot. It seemed that every time I trimmed some damaged, uneven, or thin ends off, they would come back, causing me to have to trim again. Because of the constant trimming, I am now above armpit length. :(

I recently found a very nice, understanding stylist, who I will stick with for my touch- ups.

Last semester, I stumbled upon LHCF, which I stalked :sekret: (lol). I tried some of the things on the board, can't wait to try some others, and now I am here.

Welcome aboard asubeauty!!! Join the club!!! Breaking and shedding seem to be a common element for many of us. What relaxer are you using? Do you moisturize your ends? How often do you shampoo? Do you use any hydrating shampoos? What about conditioning? A combination of things can cause the challenges you're facing. Seems like length may not be your challenge. Maybe a good moisturizing and protein for strengtheing is where you'll need to invest your time. Protein to strengthen your hair - minimize the breakage, and moisture, moisture, MOISTURE to maintain, and achieve more length.

We have a long exciting road ahead of us. It will be alot of fun. Hang in here with us, and I'm sure you will be happy that you did!

asubeauty

LoriLOCX said:
Welcome aboard asubeauty!!! Join the club!!! Breaking and shedding seem to be a common element for many of us. What relaxer are you using? Do you moisturize your ends? How often do you shampoo? Do you use any hydrating shampoos? What about conditioning? A combination of things can cause the challenges you're facing. Seems like length may not be your challenge. Maybe a good moisturizing and protein for strengtheing is where you'll need to invest your time. Protein to strengthen your hair - minimize the breakage, and moisture, moisture, MOISTURE to maintain, and achieve more length.

We have a long exciting road ahead of us. It will be alot of fun. Hang in here with us, and I'm sure you will be happy that you did!

Thanks LoriLOCX!! Hmmm, let's see...

I was using Affirm Sensitive Scalp (no lye), but my last touch up was with Silky Touch, and I think that I'll probably stick with that. I moisturize my ends with EQP mango butter when I wear a bun, but when I wear my hair out I don't use a moisturizer on my ends because everything is too heavy. :(
I only shampoo once a week. I would wash my hair more often (probably 2x a week) but the water at my school is so hard, and I don't want to subject my hair to chlorine, magnesium and calcium more than I need to. I rinse with distilled water, and that helps, but I don't know if it is enough. I want to try NTM shampoo, but as a broke college student, I'm trying to stifle the PJ urge and wait until I use up the two shampoos that I have! :D However, none of my shampoos are ultra moisturizing and I'm afraid that if I don't use a dandruff shampoo, I won't be able to hold out a whole week and have to wash my hair in hard water a lot. I deep condition every time I wash (sometimes 30 min with heat, sometimes 2-3 hrs without heat), but I want to find a good deep conditioner. As for protien.... I'm a little intimidated because I had never HEARD of a heavy duty protien treatment before LHCF, and I still have never had one. But I do use QP breakage control serum every other week.... I'd rather use another protien though... I don't know if I like this one. :look:

Sorry I was so long!! I got carried away (again!). You made me think about some things that I have never really thought about before!! I will really enjoy this journey!!

Mitre

For those who have hard water. If you can afford it invest in a shower filter and use it only to wash your hair not to shower with. If you are at school you can unscrew it after you are finish and put it away. The cost of filter water will eventually add up. You can buy one for 30-60 dollars. Try home depot or aquasana.

LoriLOCX

asubeauty said:
Thanks LoriLOCX!! Hmmm, let's see...

I was using Affirm Sensitive Scalp (no lye), but my last touch up was with Silky Touch, and I think that I'll probably stick with that. I moisturize my ends with EQP mango butter when I wear a bun, but when I wear my hair out I don't use a moisturizer on my ends because everything is too heavy. :(
I only shampoo once a week. I would wash my hair more often (probably 2x a week) but the water at my school is so hard, and I don't want to subject my hair to chlorine, magnesium and calcium more than I need to. I rinse with distilled water, and that helps, but I don't know if it is enough. I want to try NTM shampoo, but as a broke college student, I'm trying to stifle the PJ urge and wait until I use up the two shampoos that I have! :D However, none of my shampoos are ultra moisturizing and I'm afraid that if I don't use a dandruff shampoo, I won't be able to hold out a whole week and have to wash my hair in hard water a lot. I deep condition every time I wash (sometimes 30 min with heat, sometimes 2-3 hrs without heat), but I want to find a good deep conditioner. As for protien.... I'm a little intimidated because I had never HEARD of a heavy duty protien treatment before LHCF, and I still have never had one. But I do use QP breakage control serum every other week.... I'd rather use another protien though... I don't know if I like this one. :look:

Sorry I was so long!! I got carried away (again!). You made me think about some things that I have never really thought about before!! I will really enjoy this journey!!

Being excited is what this thread is all about!!! I truely believe that your ends still need moisturizer. I've read somewhere on LHCF that you could make you're own moisturizer...on your budget, you probably can swing it. Buy a bottle of distilled or bottled water, make a 50/50 mix of water and a leave-in, like Infusium, which is liquid. Use a spray bottle so you get light coverage. If that's still not enough, apply a little oil afterwards - put a few drops in your hand and lightly dust your hands over your ends, like you're trying to wipe them quickly. This should help.

TAMIKA....GREAT IDEA!!! I think I'm gonna invest in a filter. Home Depot here I come. You may want to get one too asubeauty.

Isis

missenm said:
Now For My questions:
1. For the 4a/4b girls: Do you find that you cannot stretch your relaxer as long as other hair types. I find that I get constant shedding when I am 6 weeks post relaxer. I usually blame the shedding on something else and continue stretching but since reading posts on the LHCF I think it may be due to the fact that I cannot stretch as long as other hair types. Any thoughts/
I stretch to 13 weeks. Keeping the hair very moisturized (babying the newgrowth) and having as little manipulation as possible helps tremendously.

Daisy'sHair

Here's my info:
=================
1) Determine Your Hair Type -
4A-4B texture throrughout.

2) Tell us how long your hair is now.
My hair is currently 6 inches long all over.

3) What condition is your Hair In?
My hair is 100% natural, I don't have a relaxer nor do I have color in my hair. I made a conscious decision in 2003 to stop relaxing my hair and I have stuck to that. I used to suffer from a mild case of alopecia, however since I stopped relaxing it has since subsided. The natural texture of my hair is sort of weird, the perimeter is really curly yet fine, while the middle is tightly coiled. I love the texture and as it grows it changes so I don't knw what I will end up with. Some days it's dry and some days it's not, however my choice of using organic products has changed that.

4) What Products are your currently using?
Castor oil is my new best friend, I have also used Wild Growth Hair Oil for the past 5 years even when my coif was relaxed. If I use essential oils, I use Rosemary or Tea Tree oil, love them both. Since I went natural I have been using Aubrey Organics Island Tropical shampoo and conditioner and I love the way my hair reacts to these products. I also use Clairol's Daily Defense Tender Apple conditioner as a pre-shampoo treatment and sometimes I mix castorl oil in and use it as a deep moistrizing conditioner.

5) Briefly tell us your hair story.
Since I was a small girl I always had healthy hair. It was not until my mom started the chemical processes that I had issues with my hair. From relaxers to jheri curls, I have battled it all and worn many styles. Finding more trouble with alopecia prompted me to wear my hair natural and end using relaxers all together. My natural hair can be worn in any style I just need to practice and experiment with what works and what is healthy for my hair. :)

Rainy

I am very excited to join this group. I can't wait to get started with all of you.

Mainly 4A

My hair is very uneven. Chin length in the front and touches the bottom of my collar in the back (nearly shoulder length)

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now? (e.g. "dry hair, weak hair, breaking hair, hair that stays the same length, shedding hair...etc, be specific). DAMAGED. I have a couple of inches of new growth that I plan to relax on Saturday.

Surge, Olive Oil, Drugstore shampoos (Pantene, Garnier Fructis), Costco Conditioner, Humectress or similar moisturizing conditioner. I am purchasing Emergencee this weekend and I plan to use that instead of Aphoghee.

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. This starts your hair journal. Keep a journal at home to build upon. This will be used at a later time. If you can, take photos of your hair...front, back, side, different styles, etc. Keep them in your journal for now. You will be glad you had them later on!!! We will come back and visit this in a future posting.

I just gave birth to a baby girl in January. Before I became pregnant in 2004 (May), I was having hair drama (a lot of breakage). I was and did wear two strand twists with extensions for most of last year. I think the fake hair may have contributed to the damage. In December, I wore my twists with real hair and I think that was an improvement.
Oh, I have three sections of my hair where the hair broke down to the root in July of 2004 (after my last relaxer).
I have grown my hair out to below my collar bone, so I know that I can achieve a nice length with care.

Amarech

Wow where was I when this thread started?

Anyway here I am, Taij:
1) Determine Your Hair Type - 3b,3c

On the sides it is just below my ears. In the middle its just at my neck and my bottom/nape hair is touching my shoulders(it grows the fastest :cool: )

Its actually in pretty good shape considering what I have done to it. I put a Vitale perm on top of a poorly applied, underprocess texturizer. The main breakage is on the ends but my new growth is healthy and breakage free!

Herbal Essence Triple Moisture Shampoo (it really does work!)Dove Intense Moisture Conditioner, Garnier Fructis conditioner, Olive oil. When I get more $$$: Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner", sweet almond oil, BioSilk Silk Therapy.

I first went natural in 98. By 2001 I liked my natural hair but didn't really know how to take care of it so I went back to perming but never back to box perming. I only used (and still use) Vitale regular. Still didnt' know how to take care of it so by 2002 my beautiful, long shoulder lenght hair had broken off to neck lenght. Cut, cut,cut, trim trim trim, break break break. I still didn't know what the heck I was doing. In fall of 2003, I was surfing the web for braided styles and stumble upon a LongBlack Hair group on Yahoo, motowngirl.com and nappturality.com. All three convinced me to go natural again (this time with better information.) By May 2004 I had chopped so much of my hair off that I couldn't pull it up into any kind of anything. By june I was completely natural but It was hard for me to deal with so I started using a texturizer(not much difference for me) by August. By Jan, 2005 I realized that even though I love natural hair and finally knew how to take care of my hair, it was more work for me to be natural than to be permed. Natural just was not fitting my lifestyle. So on Jan 31, I gave myself a perm and haven't looked back since. I found LHCF because it was gettin so much flak at Nappturality, I wanted to check it out for myself. Glad I did!

Last edited:

LoriLOCX

Daisy'sHair said:
Here's my info:
=================
4A-4B texture throrughout.

My hair is currently 6 inches long all over.

My hair is 100% natural, I don't have a relaxer nor do I have color in my hair. I made a conscious decision in 2003 to stop relaxing my hair and I have stuck to that. I used to suffer from a mild case of alopecia, however since I stopped relaxing it has since subsided. The natural texture of my hair is sort of weird, the perimeter is really curly yet fine, while the middle is tightly coiled. I love the texture and as it grows it changes so I don't knw what I will end up with. Some days it's dry and some days it's not, however my choice of using organic products has changed that.

Castor oil is my new best friend, I have also used Wild Growth Hair Oil for the past 5 years even when my coif was relaxed. If I use essential oils, I use Rosemary or Tea Tree oil, love them both. Since I went natural I have been using Aubrey Organics Island Tropical shampoo and conditioner and I love the way my hair reacts to these products. I also use Clairol's Daily Defense Tender Apple conditioner as a pre-shampoo treatment and sometimes I mix castorl oil in and use it as a deep moistrizing conditioner.

Since I was a small girl I always had healthy hair. It was not until my mom started the chemical processes that I had issues with my hair. From relaxers to jheri curls, I have battled it all and worn many styles. Finding more trouble with alopecia prompted me to wear my hair natural and end using relaxers all together. My natural hair can be worn in any style I just need to practice and experiment with what works and what is healthy for my hair. :)

Welcome DH!!! Boy, wearing your hair natural and being able to style it anyway you want to makes you a MASTER, where many of us are struggling. Sounds like you got it down to a science. Alopecia is not something that generally goes away. Could have been the chemical application, maintenance of your hair after applying chemicals, or stress that caused thinning or even baldness in some spots. Nonetheless, keep up the good work!!!!

LoriLOCX

Rainy said:
I am very excited to join this group. I can't wait to get started with all of you.

Mainly 4A

My hair is very uneven. Chin length in the front and touches the bottom of my collar in the back (nearly shoulder length)

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now? (e.g. "dry hair, weak hair, breaking hair, hair that stays the same length, shedding hair...etc, be specific). DAMAGED. I have a couple of inches of new growth that I plan to relax on Saturday.

Surge, Olive Oil, Drugstore shampoos (Pantene, Garnier Fructis), Costco Conditioner, Humectress or similar moisturizing conditioner. I am purchasing Emergencee this weekend and I plan to use that instead of Aphoghee.

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. This starts your hair journal. Keep a journal at home to build upon. This will be used at a later time. If you can, take photos of your hair...front, back, side, different styles, etc. Keep them in your journal for now. You will be glad you had them later on!!! We will come back and visit this in a future posting.

I just gave birth to a baby girl in January. Before I became pregnant in 2004 (May), I was having hair drama (a lot of breakage). I was and did wear two strand twists with extensions for most of last year. I think the fake hair may have contributed to the damage. In December, I wore my twists with real hair and I think that was an improvement.
Oh, I have three sections of my hair where the hair broke down to the root in July of 2004 (after my last relaxer).
I have grown my hair out to below my collar bone, so I know that I can achieve a nice length with care.

Hi Rainey!! Congrats on the baby!!! You know, they deplete our bodies of alot of nutrients. Prenatals just aren't enough to replace what's used by the baby. I can share with you that synthetic hair causes my hair to break. I'm not sure if I'm allergic to it or what, but even with cornrows, I have lots of breakage, but I don't with human hair.

Your damage might be caused by a combination of some of the products you're using. You mentioned SURGE, which to my understanding from LHCF members can be very drying, APHOGEE is strong protein - too much or too often isn't good for you. Emergencee is also protein. Maybe you should do deep conditioners more frequently. Not sure how often you wash, but adding a conditioner wash or two may help to add much needed moisture.

You've come to the right place because here is where we are all going to defeat our hair demons. Welcome!!!!!!

LoriLOCX

Taij said:
Wow where was I when this thread started?

Anyway here I am, Taij:
1) Determine Your Hair Type - 3b,3c

On the sides it is just below my ears. In the middle its just at my neck and my bottom/nape hair is touching my shoulders(it grows the fastest :cool: )

Its actually in pretty good shape considering what I have done to it. I put a Vitale perm on top of a poorly applied, underprocess texturizer. The main breakage is on the ends but my new growth is healthy and breakage free!
ccess
Herbal Essence Triple Moisture Shampoo (it really does work!)Dove Intense Moisture Conditioner, Garnier Fructis conditioner, Olive oil. When I get more $$$: Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner", sweet almond oil, BioSilk Silk Therapy.

I first went natural in 98. By 2001 I liked my natural hair but didn't really know how to take care of it so I went back to perming but never back to box perming. I only used (and still use) Vitale regular. Still didnt' know how to take care of it so by 2002 my beautiful, long shoulder lenght hair had broken off to neck lenght. Cut, cut,cut, trim trim trim, break break break. I still didn't know what the heck I was doing. In fall of 2003, I was surfing the web for braided styles and stumble upon a LongBlack Hair group on Yahoo, motowngirl.com and nappturality.com. All three convinced me to go natural again (this time with better information.) By May 2004 I had chopped so much of my hair off that I couldn't pull it up into any kind of anything. By june I was completely natural but It was hard for me to deal with so I started using a texturizer(not much difference for me) by August. By Jan, 2005 I realized that even though I love natural hair and finally knew how to take care of my hair, it was more work for me to be natural than to be permed. Natural just was not fitting my lifestyle. So on Jan 31, I gave myself a perm and haven't looked back since. I found LHCF because it was gettin so much flak at Nappturality, I wanted to check it out for myself. Glad I did!

Welcome Taij!!! You are just in time! We've only just begun, so hop on board. Relaxed, natural and back to relaxed. Transitioning requires lots of patience. Did you go back to relaxed because you preferred it? Or because you were having challenges managing your natural hair? Maybe Rainy can share some of her tips since she's a natural girl and has MASTERED her coif stylin'! Glad you found LHCF and this thread. It will be such a great journey!!

LoriLOCX

michelle3147 said:
I wish everyone the best reaching their hair care goals!

-M

Hey michelle!!!! Thanks for the well wishes!!! We can use all the encouragement we can get. It's great to see success stories. It adds to our motivation. You have obviously arrived and we are heading in your direction. Thanks for looking out!!!

senimoni

Hey all...so I've been here about a month now and I'm already seeing improvement. Here we go.

1) Determine Your Hair Type - 4a crown, 4b front edges and around the ears, 3c nape.

2) Tell us how long your hair is now. The sides come to my chin or a little longer the nape area comes to maybe the bottom of my neck, higher up though is alot shorter and that is the main area of breakage.

3) What condition is your hair in - Right now my hair is extremely thin, mostly from breakage. If I go line by line through my hair I can see how much damage there is....lots of spots where the hair is 2 inches or less. I used to have semi thick hair. Overall my hair is very damaged due to me not taking care of it, especially when I had lots of newgrowth, that is when I lost alot of hair. Also based on the research I have done I think my hair is very inelastic and it may be porous too, not sure.

Shampoo - CON, Design Essentials Dandruff, Motions
Condition- NTM, Humectress Generic, DE Leave In
Others - NTM Serum and Cream, Scurl, EVOO/Coconut Oil, NTM Mask, and Wondergro Shea Butter spray.

My hair has never really been past right around shoulder lenght (shorter on side always). My mother stopped doing my hair when I was in the 3rd grade and let my sister take over :rollseyes: :) So I guess I didn't have much of a chance. I also went throught the Pink Oil phase.....haha another story. Pretty much my pattern is to grow to shoulder lenght and then somehting happens, I either cut it off, it breaks off, I color it or something. All it takes is a few weeks of needing a relaxer coupled with the lack of care I gave it and I get extreme breakage. I maybe washed my hair twice a month but I hardly ever moisturized it, if I did it was slapping grease on my scalp and thinking I was doing something. My hair is SOOOOOO dry. Ironically enough I just realized that all this time I've been getting no lye relaxers...which I knew imo were bad, but they were salon brand "sensitive scalp" I just didn't realize. So now I'm debating on switching to lye or the DE Lo Lye Relaxer. But I don't know, I am a EXTREME burner when it comes to relaxers....even with no lye and I have scalp skin issues so I guess I'm going to think on that one. Whatever I choose I think I am going to texturize b/c a large portion of my hair is managable ...if I could loosen just a bit exp in the 4b areas I think it would work. Hope all this makes sense I feel like I am rambling :) ......

Last edited:

LoriLOCX

senimoni said:
Hey all...so I've been here about a month now and I'm already seeing improvement. Here we go.

1) Determine Your Hair Type - 4a crown, 4b front edges and around the ears, 3c nape.

2) Tell us how long your hair is now. The sides come to my chin or a little longer the nape area comes to maybe the bottom of my neck, higher up though is alot shorter and that is the main area of breakage.

3) What condition is your hair in - Right now my hair is extremely thin, mostly from breakage. If I go line by line through my hair I can see how much damage there is....lots of spots where the hair is 2 inches or less. I used to have semi thick hair. Overall my hair is very damaged due to me not taking care of it, especially when I had lots of newgrowth, that is when I lost alot of hair. Also based on the research I have done I think my hair is very inelastic and it may be porous too, not sure.

Shampoo - CON, Design Essentials Dandruff, Motions
Condition- NTM, Humectress Generic, DE Leave In
Others - NTM Serum and Cream, Scurl, EVOO/Coconut Oil, NTM Mask, and Wondergro Shea Butter spray.

My hair has never really been past right around shoulder lenght (shorter on side always). My mother stopped doing my hair when I was in the 3rd grade and let my sister take over :rollseyes: :) So I guess I didn't have much of a chance. I also went throught the Pink Oil phase.....haha another story. Pretty much my pattern is to grow to shoulder lenght and then somehting happens, I either cut it off, it breaks off, I color it or something. All it takes is a few weeks of needing a relaxer coupled with the lack of care I gave it and I get extreme breakage. I maybe washed my hair twice a month but I hardly ever moisturized it, if I did it was slapping grease on my scalp and thinking I was doing something. My hair is SOOOOOO dry. Ironically enough I just realized that all this time I've been getting no lye relaxers...which I knew imo were bad, but they were salon brand "sensitive scalp" I just didn't realize. So now I'm debating on switching to lye or the DE Lo Lye Relaxer. But I don't know, I am a EXTREME burner when it comes to relaxers....even with no lye and I have scalp skin issues so I guess I'm going to think on that one. Whatever I choose I think I am going to texturize b/c a large portion of my hair is managable ...if I could loosen just a bit exp in the 4b areas I think it would work. Hope all this makes sense I feel like I am rambling :) ......

Hi senimoni!!! I'm glad you decided to join....good for you!!! :yay: This will be the forum where you will be able to figure out what your hair needs. If a good dose of TLC is what your hair's been lacking. Hold on to your roots!!!....cause we're getting ready to pamper the heck out of our hair!!! This is all part of the journey - discovery of the texture of hair we have, how to care for it, paying attention to signals when our hair is trying to tell us what it needs, and having the patience and endurance to take the journey to get there. We are happy to have you!!!! :)

stcsweet

1) Determine Your Hair Type - 4a/b
2) Tell us how long your hair is now. - Between shoulder & armpit

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now? Dry hair & shedding. I've been reading a lot of tips here to alleviate it. ;)

4) What Products are you currently using?
Shampoos: R&N, Profectiv Clean & Healthy, Honeychild's Jamaica Island Scalp Cleanser (in stock - not used yet), just ordered Elucence Moisture Benefits
Conditioners: R&N, Profectiv 60 Second Strenghtener, Nature's Gate Jojoba, Honeychild's Jamaica Island Conditioner (in stock - not used yet), just ordered Elucence Moisture Balancing
Other (I added to my collection since reading LHCF :cool: ): Profectiv Break-Free, S-Curl, Profectiv Root Health, Profectiv Mega Growth, Profectiv Healthy Ends, Profectiv Long N Healthy, Organic - Unrefined Coconut Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Honeychild's Caribbean Hair Activator, Honeychild's My Hair Needs a Type 4 Creme, Honeychild's Coconut Hair Milk, just ordered Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir
Relaxer: Recently used Profectiv's Anti-Damage Relaxer, just ordered Phyto

I'm hoping to 'reduce my inventory' before Summer rolls around. :look:

Over the past 10 or 11 years, I've been wearing single braids or a combination of 1/2 cornrowed in the front with weaved hair in the back. My detriment was: taking my hair down, relaxing that night (whole head in the past), then going back the next day. Breakage, thinning, dryness has been the mantra over those years. I had also experienced thinning edges. Last year, I migrated solely to phony ponies and 3/4 wigs over my head and no braids of any form. This started my hair on the road to recovery....and finding LHCF has really helped me to step up my game. :)

fuzzyroots

This club is calling my name...

1) Determine Your Hair Type
4B I think

Back: 1-2 inches from bra strap
Front: Funny, I don't remember cutting bangs...ah, yes, my blow out yesterday on my partially relaxed/texturized/natural hair left me with locks of hair framing my face that now reach the bottom of my ears. :mad:

3) What condition is your hair in? What type of hair challenges are you facing now?
Dry, no elasticity, breakage, thin on the sides of my front, thin overall

Challenge: a) Have to lose my dependency on heat. No doubt heat is the reason for the poor condition of my hair. b) Have to commit to whether I want to relax, texturize, or go natural. Been wishy-washy on that subject matter.

Now in heavy rotation with the help of suggestions from LHCF:
Shampoos: Cream of Nature
Protein Conditioner: Elasta Qp Breakage Control Serum
Moisturizing Conditioner: NTM Daily Deep Conditioner
Leave-Ins: Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer
Moisturizers: Elasta QP Mango Butter
Serum: NTM Healing Shine Serum

5) Briefly tell us your hair story
Use to have natural training bra strap length hair when I was 10. Mom used to press it. Then started a chemical cycle from relaxers to jheri curls (once was enough) to relaxers, with a few natural-but-I-don't-know-how-to-style-it thrown in here and there. I've learned sooo much from reading discussions on LHCF and can't wait to put everyone's experience and knowledge to practice so I can reach my goal of having a healthy head of hair.

Boadicea

stcsweet said:
1) Last year, I migrated solely to phony ponies and 3/4 wigs over my head and no braids of any form. This started my hair on the road to recovery....and finding LHCF has really helped me to step up my game.

Have you thought about the different versions of the baggie method if you're using phony ponies?

LoriLOCX

fuzzyroots said:
This club is calling my name...

1) Determine Your Hair Type
4B I think

Back: 1-2 inches from bra strap
Front: Funny, I don't remember cutting bangs...ah, yes, my blow out yesterday on my partially relaxed/texturized/natural hair left me with locks of hair framing my face that now reach the bottom of my ears. :mad:

3) What condition is your hair in? What type of hair challenges are you facing now?
Dry, no elasticity, breakage, thin on the sides of my front, thin overall

Challenge: a) Have to lose my dependency on heat. No doubt heat is the reason for the poor condition of my hair. b) Have to commit to whether I want to relax, texturize, or go natural. Been wishy-washy on that subject matter.

Now in heavy rotation with the help of suggestions from LHCF:
Shampoos: Cream of Nature
Protein Conditioner: Elasta Qp Breakage Control Serum
Moisturizing Conditioner: NTM Daily Deep Conditioner
Leave-Ins: Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer
Moisturizers: Elasta QP Mango Butter
Serum: NTM Healing Shine Serum

5) Briefly tell us your hair story
Use to have natural training bra strap length hair when I was 10. Mom used to press it. Then started a chemical cycle from relaxers to jheri curls (once was enough) to relaxers, with a few natural-but-I-don't-know-how-to-style-it thrown in here and there. I've learned sooo much from reading discussions on LHCF and can't wait to put everyone's experience and knowledge to practice so I can reach my goal of having a healthy head of hair.

Hey fuzzyroots! Nice to have you with us! Well.....you definitely don't have a challenge getting length. ;) From the looks of your product list and the information you've picked up from other LHCF members, you look like you're on the road to moisture and recovery. kudos to you!! TLC is what we all need right now, so welcome for the ride.

stcsweet

Boadicea said:
Have you thought about the different versions of the baggie method if you're using phony ponies?

I've been reading lots of posts about it, but have yet to try it.

beloved1

Boadicea said:
For moisturizing, you have to do it by trial and error to find out if your hair likes oil, cream, cream-based, serum, a mix of both, neither, etc. You can buy trial sizes so you're not shelling out a ton of money and you can also go with what you've always been using before or try new things and even rotate.

Here's some examples:
Oil: jojoba, coconut, extra virgin olive, meadowfoam, monoi
Cream: Elucence, Fresh, Kera Care, BedHead
Cream-based: S-curl
Serum: Neutrogena Triple Moisture, Kera Care, Citru-Shine

If your hair is already dry, try a moisturizing deep conditioner instead of a protein one. You can also do oil treatments and using conditioners where you're supposed to leave it on the hair for at least one minute before rinsing. Herbal Essences and Suave make such conditioners.

As to relaxing, congrats on breaking your 6-week cycle and making it to week 7. Since you've had minimal shedding, you may be able to make it to week 8 and beyond if you like.

THANK YOU, Boadicea. I've since added a moisturizing deep conditioner and that is working out great. I'm doing the oil conditioners with coconut, jojoba, peppermint, olive and other oils and I've found the cream (ORS Olive Oil) followed by oils (the combination above) works good for me, but not the cream-based s-curl. Thanks so much for your advice!

fmignonl

Thank you for offering this thread, I have been searching for something like this for a long time and am grateful to come across like-minded women who are focused on growing their hair. Okay, that said let me tell you the condition of my hair.

1. My hair is 4a

2. Right now my hair is to my neckline.

3. My hair is in good condition, however it feels as though it just stays the same length. I feel as though my hair has been the same length since high school and I am 33 now!

4. The products I currently use:
Elasta QP Bodifying Shampoo
Elasta QP Fortifying Hair Conditioner
Elasta QP Deep Penetrating Remoisturizer
Elasta QP H-Two
Elasta QP Mango Butter

I like the way my hair feels with Elasta QP products, however I am open to new products to add or change in my regimen. When I wash my hair, I let it air dry. I have avoided heat for the past 6 months and my last relaxer was on December 28.

5. Okay, this is the story of my hair.UGH! When I moved to Los Angeles my hair was to my neckline. I went to a (High-priced) stylist, one who I was told specialized in African-American hair and highly respected. Well, when I there she put on a relaxer that I have never heard of before and of course my hair looked good for that day when I left the salon, however, when I got home literally that night my hair started to come out. So suffice to say that I did not return to that stylist. A couple of years later, I went to another stylist who did an okay job with my hair, until it started to come out. I wanted some color to my hair and she obliged, however put on the color too soon after a relaxer and my hair could not handle it. Therefore, same old story my hair came out. Unfortunately, on my part I put too much faith in her and consiquently believed her when she said that she was trying to help my hair grow. However, whenever I went she said she needed to "Trim my ends," it took me 3 months to realize that she was cutting my hair to try to cover-up her mistake of making my hair fall out. So to say now that I am very apprehensive of going to another hair stylist is an understatement. Now, with that said the longest I have had my hair in my life was in elementary school with my hair being at my bra strap. I am currently trying to grow-out my hair from the last hair stylist who kept the chemicals on too long and my hair broke off. My hair is very thick and fine, I do not need to keep a relaxer on my hair very long for it to get straight. Okay, I look forward to being a part of the challenge and hearing everyone's story, comments, and suggestions.

Thanks,
Fe

I am so grateful for coming across LHCF during a period when I really want to get my hair in its healthiest state possible.

1. My hair is 4a/b.
2. Two to three inches from brastrap.
3. My hair is in healthy conditon, but has always been very fine and delicate. LHCF is teaching me how to handle it gently. Recently cut several inches b/c of thinning at ends. It is now at its healthiest and longest than its ever been.

4. Product Staples: Nexxus Therappe Shampoo, Humectress and Keracare Humecto Conditioner, Coconut Oil and Wild Growth Oil. Salerm 21 and Wheat Germ Masks are my favorites! Deep Condition w/heat and Roller Sets 2-3 times per week!

5. My Hair Story: Recovering Weave Addict- When I first started wearing weaves two years ago, I had no hair on my head. But I had a great weave that hung down my back to BraStrapLength. After wearing the sew in weave for 2 years straight (no relaxers and redoing the weave every 5 weeks), I found that my own hair had grown longer than my weave and past my BraStrap. Now I am learning to love my hair in its non weave state and to care for it so my natural relaxed hair will be as beautiful as it was in my former weave life!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
fmignonl said:
Thank you for offering this thread, I have been searching for something like this for a long time and am grateful to come across like-minded women who are focused on growing their hair. Okay, that said let me tell you the condition of my hair.

1. My hair is 4a

2. Right now my hair is to my neckline.

3. My hair is in good condition, however it feels as though it just stays the same length. I feel as though my hair has been the same length since high school and I am 33 now!

4. The products I currently use:
Elasta QP Bodifying Shampoo
Elasta QP Fortifying Hair Conditioner
Elasta QP Deep Penetrating Remoisturizer
Elasta QP H-Two
Elasta QP Mango Butter

I like the way my hair feels with Elasta QP products, however I am open to new products to add or change in my regimen. When I wash my hair, I let it air dry. I have avoided heat for the past 6 months and my last relaxer was on December 28.

5. Okay, this is the story of my hair.UGH! When I moved to Los Angeles my hair was to my neckline. I went to a (High-priced) stylist, one who I was told specialized in African-American hair and highly respected. Well, when I there she put on a relaxer that I have never heard of before and of course my hair looked good for that day when I left the salon, however, when I got home literally that night my hair started to come out. So suffice to say that I did not return to that stylist. A couple of years later, I went to another stylist who did an okay job with my hair, until it started to come out. I wanted some color to my hair and she obliged, however put on the color too soon after a relaxer and my hair could not handle it. Therefore, same old story my hair came out. Unfortunately, on my part I put too much faith in her and consiquently believed her when she said that she was trying to help my hair grow. However, whenever I went she said she needed to "Trim my ends," it took me 3 months to realize that she was cutting my hair to try to cover-up her mistake of making my hair fall out. So to say now that I am very apprehensive of going to another hair stylist is an understatement. Now, with that said the longest I have had my hair in my life was in elementary school with my hair being at my bra strap. I am currently trying to grow-out my hair from the last hair stylist who kept the chemicals on too long and my hair broke off. My hair is very thick and fine, I do not need to keep a relaxer on my hair very long for it to get straight. Okay, I look forward to being a part of the challenge and hearing everyone's story, comments, and suggestions.

Thanks,
Fe
We are so glad that you found the forum. You are on your way to longer stronger healthier hair. Happy Hair Growing!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
thattvgirl said:
I am so grateful for coming across LHCF during a period when I really want to get my hair in its healthiest state possible.

1. My hair is 4a/b.
2. Two to three inches from brastrap.
3. My hair is in healthy conditon, but has always been very fine and delicate. LHCF is teaching me how to handle it gently. Recently cut several inches b/c of thinning at ends. It is now at its healthiest and longest than its ever been.

4. Product Staples: Nexxus Therappe Shampoo, Humectress and Keracare Humecto Conditioner, Coconut Oil and Wild Growth Oil. Salerm 21 and Wheat Germ Masks are my favorites! Deep Condition w/heat and Roller Sets 2-3 times per week!

5. My Hair Story: Recovering Weave Addict- When I first started wearing weaves two years ago, I had no hair on my head. But I had a great weave that hung down my back to BraStrapLength. After wearing the sew in weave for 2 years straight (no relaxers and redoing the weave every 5 weeks), I found that my own hair had grown longer than my weave and past my BraStrap. Now I am learning to love my hair in its non weave state and to care for it so my natural relaxed hair will be as beautiful as it was in my former weave life!
It can be healthier and it will be!! Good Luck to you on your hair journey.

xippy

Hi all,

I need some advice.I am scheduled to have my hair braided on Friday. I've picked a cornrow style, but after two months of taking such diligent care of my hair I'm nervous about letting someone else spend that much time in my hair.

How do I prepare for my braids? I am now 7 weeks post-relaxer. I tossed my blow drying last year, so please don't say I should blow out my roots. :confused:

brownsugarbabe

Great Thead: Here's my hair story.

1.)Determine Your Hair Type.

I’m a 4a in the front and 4b in the back

Currently my hair is right at my collarbone. Due to breakage the sides and front gradually shorten as you reached the front of my face. I also have layers through-out my hair that I'm growing out.

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now

I believe my hair is in pretty good condition. Before finding this site in January I was experiencing A LOT of shedding and breakage. I’m still experiencing a little of both but it is not nearly as bad as it was.

4) What Products are you’re currently using?

This is the order I use them in also:

Pre-poo –Suave Milk and Honey Conditioner

Hot Oil-Kemi Oyl mixed with EVOO

Shampoo-Aubrey’s Organic J.A.Y Desert Herb Shampoo

Conditioner-Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner or Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer (sometimes I mix them together)

Protein-Aphogee (once every 6 to 8 weeks) or Elasta QP Breakage Control

Serum (usually a little bit mixed in with conditioner with EVOO).

Leave-In- I just bought Salerm and NTM Silk Leave-in (haven’t tried either one yet)

Moisturizer-I might use Elasta QP Mango Butter or spray Pantene Leave-in daily conditioner and put a little Mango Butter on afterwards

Serum-NTM Healing Shine Serum

Random Shine-Warm Spirit’s Anahita’s Hair Butter ( If I’m going out and want a little sheen to my hair, I smooth a little bit of this in my hair)

In 1999 I decided to go natural. I grew my hair out and was natural for almost 5 years. I loved my natural hair but I felt the maintenance was just too much for my lifestyle. My hair is super thick and trying to tame all that hair began to feel like a chore. I switched back to a perm about a year ago. Since then I've experienced a lot of shedding and breakage. My hair, once right at bra-strap is now brushing my collarbone. Eventually I stumbled onto this site and since then my hair has thrived. I have a problem with breakage right at the nape of my neck....it has grown in fully and is now the same length as the sides of my hair. I really only use heat when I deep condition and I believe my hair has thanked me for that as well.