Newcomer's Growing Out Club

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
xippy said:
Hi all,

I need some advice.I am scheduled to have my hair braided on Friday. I've picked a cornrow style, but after two months of taking such diligent care of my hair I'm nervous about letting someone else spend that much time in my hair.

How do I prepare for my braids? I am now 7 weeks post-relaxer. I tossed my blow drying last year, so please don't say I should blow out my roots. :confused:
No you don't need to blow out your roots. It helps but it is not necessary. You may want to make sure your hair is completely dry and completely combed through before you go. Otherwise they will rip through your hair. Don't add any oils. Let them do it. Just make sure to do a deep condition before you get it done. I think you will be fine. Make sure they don't braid too tight!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
brownsugarbabe said:
Great Thead: Here's my hair story.

1.)Determine Your Hair Type.

I’m a 4a in the front and 4b in the back

2) Tell us how long your hair is now.

Currently my hair is right at my collarbone. Due to breakage the sides and front gradually shorten as you reached the front of my face. I also have layers through-out my hair that I'm growing out.

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now

I believe my hair is in pretty good condition. Before finding this site in January I was experiencing A LOT of shedding and breakage. I’m still experiencing a little of both but it is not nearly as bad as it was.

4) What Products are you’re currently using?

This is the order I use them in also:

Pre-poo –Suave Milk and Honey Conditioner

Hot Oil-Kemi Oyl mixed with EVOO

Shampoo-Aubrey’s Organic J.A.Y Desert Herb Shampoo

Conditioner-Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner or Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer (sometimes I mix them together)

Protein-Aphogee (once every 6 to 8 weeks) or Elasta QP Breakage Control

Serum (usually a little bit mixed in with conditioner with EVOO).

Leave-In- I just bought Salerm and NTM Silk Leave-in (haven’t tried either one yet)

Moisturizer-I might use Elasta QP Mango Butter or spray Pantene Leave-in daily conditioner and put a little Mango Butter on afterwards

Serum-NTM Healing Shine Serum

Random Shine-Warm Spirit’s Anahita’s Hair Butter ( If I’m going out and want a little sheen to my hair, I smooth a little bit of this in my hair)

5) Briefly tell us your hair story.

In 1999 I decided to go natural. I grew my hair out and was natural for almost 5 years. I loved my natural hair but I felt the maintenance was just too much for my lifestyle. My hair is super thick and trying to tame all that hair began to feel like a chore. I switched back to a perm about a year ago. Since then I've experienced a lot of shedding and breakage. My hair, once right at bra-strap is now brushing my collarbone. Eventually I stumbled onto this site and since then my hair has thrived. I have a problem with breakage right at the nape of my neck....it has grown in fully and is now the same length as the sides of my hair. I really only use heat when I deep condition and I believe my hair has thanked me for that as well.
Welcome! We are glad to have you!!

LoriLOCX

Hello EVERYONE :)
March 11th will be here before you know it, and we will be moving on to our next steps! Woooohoooo!!!!! :bouncegre

We will keep each step separate, so a link to another thread will be posted. Make sure you bookmark this one in your favorites, so you can come back.

HAPPY GROWING TO ONE AND ALL!!!!!
:woot: :yay: :clapping: :newbie: :dance7:

Lilpretty1125

I just wanted to confirm that my posts were actually posting - I just filled out he form for the new people, but I'm not finding it. Please help! I need to post before March 11th

Atiramisu

Hair Type: I believe my hair type is 4b. I don’t know the difference from 4a and 4b, but I do know it’s definitely a 4!

Hair Length: My hair is right at my neckline.

Hair condition? Dry, brittle and sheds a lot.

Products:
Shampoos: MNT, Nexxus Therappe, Pantene, Aveda
Conditioners: MNT, Neutrogena Triple Moisture
Leave-ins: MNT, Nexxus Humectress, NTM Silk Leave-In, Elasta QP Oil Recovery
Hair Oils: Nexxus Botanic Oil, Dudley
Protein Reconstructers and Deep Conditioning: Aphogee 2-min Keratin Recon;
Silk Elements Cholestrol, ION Hydrating Masque

My Hair Story:
I’ve always wanted to grow longer hair, but never had the patience when it reached a certain length so I’ve always opted to wear a layered bob, which required very little heat or maintenance. Little did I realize that my hair was overprocessed, which is probably why it's dry, brittle and shedding all over the place.

My real issue is hair “care.” I’ve always jetted to my stylist at 4.89 weeks to get my retouch done – rain or shine, I didn’t miss my appointment because I thought that’s what I was supposed to do. I also had always heard, “don’t overwash your hair, or don’t shampoo more than once every 2 weeks because it dries out black hair.”

I was totally believing the myth that water isn't good for our hair. I’ve finally decided that if hair IS indeed dead, the ONLY way it’s going to be preserved is through extra conditioning and moisturizing, so that’s what I’ve tried to change about my hair care routine. In the past, I would only wash my hair once or twice in between my retouches and the only product I put in my hair was hair grease or Nexxus Botanic Oil! My hair received no moisturizing what-so-ever, if it's true that hair oil doesn’t provide moisture.

I didn’t WAKE UP until my stylist commented on a thinning spot at the crown of my head when I got my last retouch in January. She asked if I wanted a deep conditioner ($18 per visit) and I told her I’d get one next time (my way of saying “NO!” right then and there I thought, 'i could invest in quality products at home and do this!'). I started doing a little bit of research and found Cathy Howse’s book which talked about frequent shampooing, conditioning and moisturizing. From there, I found Shamboosie’s book, and a few days later I discovered the Long Hair Care Forum.

I am encouraged by seeing other 4a/bs with terrific results and I’m wondering if the same is possible for me. Since I’ve never had hair anywhere near bra length, I will simply be amazed if it actually happens. I can say that since I’ve improved my hair care maintenance I think I’ve improved the condition of my hair within the last month and I’ve stretched my relaxer from 5 weeks to 7 weeks for the first time in many, many years! Usually, by the 5th week, my hair was reverted and drawn up, dry as a bone, etc. etc. As I sit here right now, I'm 7 weeks post relaxer and my hair is as soft as ever. I think I'm on the right track. Thank you ladies for all of the encouragement and I'm so glad to be here. :) ~AT

LoriLOCX

Atiramisu said:
Hair Type: I believe my hair type is 4b. I don’t know the difference from 4a and 4b, but I do know it’s definitely a 4!

Hair Length: My hair is right at my neckline.

Hair condition? Dry, brittle and sheds a lot.

Products:
Shampoos: MNT, Nexxus Therappe, Pantene, Aveda
Conditioners: MNT, Neutrogena Triple Moisture
Leave-ins: MNT, Nexxus Humectress, NTM Silk Leave-In, Elasta QP Oil Recovery
Hair Oils: Nexxus Botanic Oil, Dudley
Protein Reconstructers and Deep Conditioning: Aphogee 2-min Keratin Recon;
Silk Elements Cholestrol, ION Hydrating Masque

My Hair Story:
I’ve always wanted to grow longer hair, but never had the patience when it reached a certain length so I’ve always opted to wear a layered bob, which required very little heat or maintenance. Little did I realize that my hair was overprocessed, which is probably why it's dry, brittle and shedding all over the place.

My real issue is hair “care.” I’ve always jetted to my stylist at 4.89 weeks to get my retouch done – rain or shine, I didn’t miss my appointment because I thought that’s what I was supposed to do. I also had always heard, “don’t overwash your hair, or don’t shampoo more than once every 2 weeks because it dries out black hair.”

I was totally believing the myth that water isn't good for our hair. I’ve finally decided that if hair IS indeed dead, the ONLY way it’s going to be preserved is through extra conditioning and moisturizing, so that’s what I’ve tried to change about my hair care routine. In the past, I would only wash my hair once or twice in between my retouches and the only product I put in my hair was hair grease or Nexxus Botanic Oil! My hair received no moisturizing what-so-ever, if it's true that hair oil doesn’t provide moisture.

I didn’t WAKE UP until my stylist commented on a thinning spot at the crown of my head when I got my last retouch in January. She asked if I wanted a deep conditioner ($18 per visit) and I told her I’d get one next time (my way of saying “NO!” right then and there I thought, 'i could invest in quality products at home and do this!'). I started doing a little bit of research and found Cathy Howse’s book which talked about frequent shampooing, conditioning and moisturizing. From there, I found Shamboosie’s book, and a few days later I discovered the Long Hair Care Forum.

I am encouraged by seeing other 4a/bs with terrific results and I’m wondering if the same is possible for me. Since I’ve never had hair anywhere near bra length, I will simply be amazed if it actually happens. I can say that since I’ve improved my hair care maintenance I think I’ve improved the condition of my hair within the last month and I’ve stretched my relaxer from 5 weeks to 7 weeks for the first time in many, many years! Usually, by the 5th week, my hair was reverted and drawn up, dry as a bone, etc. etc. As I sit here right now, I'm 7 weeks post relaxer and my hair is as soft as ever. I think I'm on the right track. Thank you ladies for all of the encouragement and I'm so glad to be here. :) ~AT

Welcome aboard Atiramisu!!! So glad you found LHCF and now you found this Newcomer's Growing Out Club. I too, suffered from the "not too much water" myth, and found dryness, breakage, and shedding. Heavy on the oil, no real steady moisturizing.

You're definitely on the road to recovery, and looks like you're doing your homework. Good for you. We move to our next steps on the 11th, so make sure you come back and move right along with us.

WE'RE HAPPY TO HAVE YOU.

LoriLOCX

Lilpretty1125 said:
I just wanted to confirm that my posts were actually posting - I just filled out he form for the new people, but I'm not finding it. Please help! I need to post before March 11th

Hey Lilpretty1125!!!! You may be thinking about the Newcomer's Guide that was created by don'tspeakdefeat. That's our HAIR BIBLE for this Newcomer's Growing Out Club. You posted to the Guide that you were happy to be part of this Newcomer's Club, but I think you meant to post your info here.

Go to the last page of this thread, and click on POST REPLY. Add your info here. We'd love to have you join us. Let us know if you need more instruction. WELCOME!!!!!!

sugarsweet

1) Determine Your Hair Type -
my hair type is a comb of 2's and 3's if anyone has any imput please let me know.
http://photos.yahoo.com/xxdollfacexx2001

my hair is about 23.5 inches long I just recently got a cut :(

3) What condition is your Hair In? It's not in the best condition it could be alot better but it's not all that bad either. What type of hair challenges are you facing now?
weak hair, breaking hair and hard to manage it gets nappy quick.

4) What Products are your currently using?
Parnevu it is really helping my hair get healthy.

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. This starts your hair journal.

well to start my texture is very different and because of that no one really knows how to do it. I have a stylist that knows how to do my hair but she is the only one and I can't always afford her that is why I am learnig how to take care of my own hair. it is so wierd that I can get other peoples hair to grow and not my own. I have had some stories to tell but thery're in the past and I am lookingforward to the future. :grin:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
You may have posted in the Super Grow Out challenge thread.

Lilpretty1125 said:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Welcome everyone!! :wave:

It is so nice to see that all of you are serious about caring for your hair. Taking matters into your own hair can be a vitale step toward getting your hair where you want it to be.

I wish you all well in your hair growing journey and may you reach all of your goals!!

-DSD

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
This in the information the LilPretty posted on the SGO challenge thread. I think she meant to put it here:

Lilpretty1125 said:
I am so excited about this website and my new challenge!

1. My hair type seems to be 4a/b

2. I have various lengths right now - short on sides (bottom of ear) back is

to the bottom of my neck and the top and front is about medium length.

3. My hair is actually growing due to wearing a sew in weave (I have a lot of new growth) but the permed ends are steady splitting and shedding. I'm trying to decide if I want to transition to natural completely or if I want to either relax or texturize and extend my applications. If so, I need a regimine that will help me to handle both textures.

4. Some of the products that I currently use are:

Suave (Humectress) conditioner and shampoo,

Neutrogena (hair mask)

Infusium 23 (Leave-in)

Evoo

Surge 14 (I just started using a week ago - I've been spraying my braids)

Motions (shampoo and conditioner)

Biolage (shampoo and conditioner) generic

At this time, I'm just looking for a tried and true way to attain some length - I have type 4a/b hair and I know that everyone woman with that type hair share the same problems as I do when it comes to trying to grow it out and stretching perms. I started braiding it up and wearing a sew-in weave about a year ago (during my pregnancy) and when I took out the braids my hair was so full, thick and healthy - and what did I do (yep! I relaxed it!!!!!) At the time, this seemed like a great idea because my hair seemed pretty healthy and it was a pretty decent length. However, over time, it started shedding, thinning, etc. So basically, I'm starting all over again and would like to try to go natural, but if not hopefully with the help of the wonderful women in this forum I can care for my relaxed hair and attain a healthy length.

So in conclusion, I'm definitely up for the challenge!! Let's get growing...............

LoriLOCX

sugarsweet said:
my hair type is a comb of 2's and 3's if anyone has any imput please let me know.
http://photos.yahoo.com/xxdollfacexx2001

my hair is about 23.5 inches long I just recently got a cut :(

3) What condition is your Hair In? It's not in the best condition it could be alot better but it's not all that bad either. What type of hair challenges are you facing now?
weak hair, breaking hair and hard to manage it gets nappy quick.

Parnevu it is really helping my hair get healthy.

5) Briefly tell us your hair story. This starts your hair journal.

well to start my texture is very different and because of that no one really knows how to do it. I have a stylist that knows how to do my hair but she is the only one and I can't always afford her that is why I am learnig how to take care of my own hair. it is so wierd that I can get other peoples hair to grow and not my own. I have had some stories to tell but thery're in the past and I am lookingforward to the future. :grin:

Hi sugarsweet!!! Welcome to the Newcomer's Growing Out Club!!! I think you and I have the same texture!!! Although, I think the top of my hair, from the crown to my forehead maybe a type 1, cause it grows straight.

Wonderful pics!!!! You have beautiful hair!!! Weak, breaking, hard to manage hair is exactly what we are going to overcome here. What other products do you use aside from Parvenu? If your hair is like mine, you need to almost keep it in water for it to remain moist. Breakage could be too little or too much protein, and weakness could be cvaused from overprocessing and/or heat abuse.

Make sure you come back for the next steps, because this will get us all on track to starting a better routine. Welcome aboard sugarsweet. We are happy to have you, help you, and watch you grow out!!!!!

cafe au lait

I hope I am not too late. I am new to the board and I would like to join the club.

my hair is 4a.
my current lenght is mid-neck/chin lenght.
my last relaxer was 15/11/04. I am preparing for the next one.

I have never really taken this much interest in my natural hair as I lived for extensions. I use to deep condition my hair every 6 weeks after I take down my extensions and that's about all the care it gets till my next take down.
I think the only reason I didn't loose all my hair is because I was taking vitamins like, berocca, zinc,iron vitamin c,e, pure cod liver oil with evening primrose oil, omega 3 fish oil, gingko biloba, energizer which contains ginseng and amino acid, vega multi detox, which contains amino acids, inositol, and vitamin b factors and to be completely honest, I took all this vitamins for my wellbeing I didn't know they had any thing to do with hair until recently and for the past 2 years I have religiously drank 3 1/2 to 4 litres of evian mineral water everyday.
after a little bit of research I have bought some more vitamins to add to my stack: msm, biotin, copper, manganese, amino complex, choline+inositol, pantothenic acid, calcium, magnesium. it's a lot of vitamins. I know, but I don't feel sick from them as I don't take them all at the same time.
I am also into fresh carrot juicing. tastes lovely.

The hair products I was using was the ORS relaxer and almost all of their hair care products.
But my next relaxing is with the mizani (medium rhelaxer) and I have bought some hair care products from them too.
I am ordering my hair steamer from beautyofasite.com. apparently J.LO, faith hill, JENNIFER ANISTON and COURTNEY COX are big fans of it and soon so will I. it's on sale for $400. I am also going to get nexxus keraphix, botanical oil humectress and also nioxin's scalp therapy etc.
I am ready to take my hair to a new level, sistah gals, I am saying bye-bye to extensions (unless I have to go on holiday) for at least a year. if I don't see any improvement then I will go back to my old ways. I hope I don't have to though as I will do everything in my power to grow shoulder lenght hair in the next 6 months. I will keep everyone posted, and may the lord bless us all with healthier, longer hair. good luck everyone.

xxxxoxxxx

LoriLOCX

cafe au lait said:
I hope I am not too late. I am new to the board and I would like to join the club.

my hair is 4a.
my current lenght is mid-neck/chin lenght.
my last relaxer was 15/11/04. I am preparing for the next one.

I have never really taken this much interest in my natural hair as I lived for extensions. I use to deep condition my hair every 6 weeks after I take down my extensions and that's about all the care it gets till my next take down.
I think the only reason I didn't loose all my hair is because I was taking vitamins like, berocca, zinc,iron vitamin c,e, pure cod liver oil with evening primrose oil, omega 3 fish oil, gingko biloba, energizer which contains ginseng and amino acid, vega multi detox, which contains amino acids, inositol, and vitamin b factors and to be completely honest, I took all this vitamins for my wellbeing I didn't know they had any thing to do with hair until recently and for the past 2 years I have religiously drank 3 1/2 to 4 litres of evian mineral water everyday.
after a little bit of research I have bought some more vitamins to add to my stack: msm, biotin, copper, manganese, amino complex, choline+inositol, pantothenic acid, calcium, magnesium. it's a lot of vitamins. I know, but I don't feel sick from them as I don't take them all at the same time.
I am also into fresh carrot juicing. tastes lovely.

The hair products I was using was the ORS relaxer and almost all of their hair care products.
But my next relaxing is with the mizani (medium rhelaxer) and I have bought some hair care products from them too.
I am ordering my hair steamer from beautyofasite.com. apparently J.LO, faith hill, JENNIFER ANISTON and COURTNEY COX are big fans of it and soon so will I. it's on sale for $400. I am also going to get nexxus keraphix, botanical oil humectress and also nioxin's scalp therapy etc.
I am ready to take my hair to a new level, sistah gals, I am saying bye-bye to extensions (unless I have to go on holiday) for at least a year. if I don't see any improvement then I will go back to my old ways. I hope I don't have to though as I will do everything in my power to grow shoulder lenght hair in the next 6 months. I will keep everyone posted, and may the lord bless us all with healthier, longer hair. good luck everyone.

xxxxoxxxx

Welcome cafe au lait!!! You are not too late!!! But let me stop you for one second!!! Please DO NOT order anything from beautyofasite.com. I think this is the site that other LHCF members were saying was run by a con-artist, and she had her site(s) shut down, and has a class action lawsuit going on. I need to find that posting and let you read it. Meanwhile, we are happy that you've decided to join us.

Do you take those vitamins separately, or are they in combinations/multi-vitamins? Since you take an impressive variety, are you familiar with what vitamins are assimiliated with others?

Since you're here, and ready to get started, you can bookmark this thread and move on to the next posting....which will define how we manage our hair from here on out.

Looking forward to it!!!!

Hi Everyone,
I just joined, so I'm a little late. That said I'm really excited about my hair journey and I think this is the perfect club for me to begin.

Hair Type- 4a
Length- just at ear
Challenges- constant shedding, breakage, dealing with hard water

Products
Shampoos- Mane 'n' tail original, creme of nature moisturizing, Herbal Essence clarifying
Conditoners- Mane 'n' tail deep moisturizing, Keracare humecto, Motion Cpr and Aphogee
Daily- Elasta Qp Mango Butter, Wild growth oil, CD Healthy Hair Butter

I got my first relaxer at 13 and this was the start of my major hair problems. For three years I used no lye box perms at home and this led to under-processing, and major breakage. When I first went to a hair salon (16) the stylist was so upset with the condition of my hair that she gave me a Halle cut, she said this was the only option at that point. Suprisingly this was the period I got my longest length ever- shoulder length in the ninth grade. Fast forward to college- first year I permanently colored my hair ( at this time I didn't know anything about moisture, deep conditioning, satin scarves etc) this thinned my hair a lot, and not knowing what to do with it, I resorted to braids. Now I didn't take care of my hair in braids, so everytime I took them out I experienced a lot of breakage. I got my second color six months later, didn't take care of hair (again) and had to chop off my hair again. When I first found this site my hair was so thin and unhealthy I didn't know what to do with it. So here I am and I am so happy to be here.

cafe au lait

LoriLOCX said:
Welcome cafe au lait!!! You are not too late!!! But let me stop you for one second!!! Please DO NOT order anything from beautyofasite.com. I think this is the site that other LHCF members were saying was run by a con-artist, and she had her site(s) shut down, and has a class action lawsuit going on. I need to find that posting and let you read it. Meanwhile, we are happy that you've decided to join us.

Do you take those vitamins separately, or are they in combinations/multi-vitamins? Since you take an impressive variety, are you familiar with what vitamins are assimiliated with others?

Since you're here, and ready to get started, you can bookmark this thread and move on to the next posting....which will define how we manage our hair from here on out.

Looking forward to it!!!!

Wow!!! LoriLOCX. thanks a bunch for the info about beautyofasite.com, I live in the UK, so wasn't privy to that info.
do you know of another site(s) where I can purchase a good hair steamer?
as i really have to have a hair steamer at home. I just can't believe no one sell hair steamers here in the UK.

As for my vitamins, I take them seperately, I know iron and zinc don't mix well in high doses, so I take them at oposite times of the day. As for the others most of them are combined in a hair vitamin ingredients anyway. so I figured they would work better on their own.

I am really glad to be joining this club because I need all the motivation I can get. I think we all do really.

HHG!!!!!!!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
IntelligenceisBeautiful said:
Hi Everyone,
I just joined, so I'm a little late. That said I'm really excited about my hair journey and I think this is the perfect club for me to begin.

Hair Type- 4a
Length- just at ear
Challenges- constant shedding, breakage, dealing with hard water

Products
Shampoos- Mane 'n' tail original, creme of nature moisturizing, Herbal Essence clarifying
Conditoners- Mane 'n' tail deep moisturizing, Keracare humecto, Motion Cpr and Aphogee
Daily- Elasta Qp Mango Butter, Wild growth oil, CD Healthy Hair Butter

I got my first relaxer at 13 and this was the start of my major hair problems. For three years I used no lye box perms at home and this led to under-processing, and major breakage. When I first went to a hair salon (16) the stylist was so upset with the condition of my hair that she gave me a Halle cut, she said this was the only option at that point. Suprisingly this was the period I got my longest length ever- shoulder length in the ninth grade. Fast forward to college- first year I permanently colored my hair ( at this time I didn't know anything about moisture, deep conditioning, satin scarves etc) this thinned my hair a lot, and not knowing what to do with it, I resorted to braids. Now I didn't take care of my hair in braids, so everytime I took them out I experienced a lot of breakage. I got my second color six months later, didn't take care of hair (again) and had to chop off my hair again. When I first found this site my hair was so thin and unhealthy I didn't know what to do with it. So here I am and I am so happy to be here.

Welcome!! :wave:

We are so glad you found the lhcf. You are now on your way to longer stronger healthier hair!!

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
dontspeakdefeat said:
Your story is so touching. I remember as a child my hair was at least shoulder length. That's back when we used to get it pressed every two weeks and my grandma did my hair. When we moved away and my mom took over she put relaxers in our hair and just neglected it. It was down hill from there. I struggled for the rest of my life and I reached shoulder length at least 3 times just to cut it in frustration. It seems like it would get to that point and "stop growing"

Now we are becoming educated and throwing all the old myths out the door. This is so vital in doing the things we do hear.

I know that with all of the information here on this board that we can achieve lengths beyond our wildest dreams. Good Luck to you in your hair growing journey!!

Okay, I haven't even gotten past the 2nd page and I just gotta post!

This is fantastic! We can all learn alot from this!

DSD, what does you family think of your hair progress (sister(s), mom, etc.)?

Happy Hair Growing ladies!
~op~

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
LoriLOCX said:
JUST AS A REMINDER TO ALL THAT JOIN......

Make sure you keep this entry as the FIRST entry in your personal journal at home. Everything we do here should be kept in a diary. You will be happy you kept this info because we are going to use everything we learn along the way later down the road.

DSD....you are truely a remarkable source of knowledge, inspiration, and encouragement.

Here's my info:
=================
3B with some 4A

At most 3 inches with the back razored growing out, maybe 1 inch.

3) What condition is your Hair In?
My hair was dry, dull looking, weak from curling, and breaking and shedding. It has improved dramatically since I've come to LHCF and started daily co-washing my hair. My biggest challenge had been shedding and breaking from daily flat-ironing, and dryness - which I now attribute to using HEAT, and heavy grease on my hair and scalp instead of moisturizing. My current challenge now is protective styling my very short hair without heat.

I use LOTS of oils - EVOO, Johoba, Castor, Emu, Cod Liver, Flaxseed, and a mix of EOs combined for ONE OIL TREATMENT, and sometimes I add B-Complex OIL. For co-washing I'm using V05, Avalon Botanicals, Nature's Gate, and Tresemme conditioners. I am an AFFIRM, KeraCare and Nexxus freak!!! I'm addicted to all their stuff!!!

5) Briefly tell us your hair story.
As a young child, I had type 2 hair. My mom applied a Vigorol relaxer to my hair at 5 and all my hair fell out. She tried to nurse it back to health, but my texture has permanently changed. I have a mix of textures...some 2 -3, and 4a. I've worn natural, relaxed, jeri curls, and texturized hair styles. My hair has grown slightly (2-inches) below neck length at my longest length. I developed LUPUS and MY HAIR DIED ON MY HEAD. I went from below shoulder to BALD in the blink of any eye. I was devastated!!! I wore wigs for 2 years. My hair grew out and I texturized. It grow neck length and I relaxed it at a salon in Atlanta. They overprocessed it, cut it, and I looked like a Halle Berry wanna-be. Mad and upset, I went natural and put in a weave. The sew-in weave took my hair out, so now I'm back to relaxed, but I've found LHCF. I hope to be on the road to recovery AND longer stronger healthier hair.

[It's gonna happen for ya Lori, just watch and see. Eventhrough all you've been through, you still maintain hope. That is very inspirational.

The thing is, we will always have hair, it's up to us what condition that hair will be in.

Getting knowledge, understanding, learning know-how and keeping an optimistic outlook in the face of everything are keys to healthy hair; length will come...(borrowed that one from you DSD! :up: )

LoriLOCX

onepraying said:
[It's gonna happen for ya Lori, just watch and see. Eventhrough all you've been through, you still maintain hope. That is very inspirational.

The thing is, we will always have hair, it's up to us what condition that hair will be in.

Getting knowledge, understanding, learning know-how and keeping an optimistic outlook in the face of everything are keys to healthy hair; length will come...(borrowed that one from you DSD! :up: )

Wow.....you guys are really really great!!! I'm so blessed to have found LHCF and meet up with some really wonderful people. Thank you for your kind words :kiss: This is the type of encouragement that keeps me motivated. I had hopes that a thread such as this would benefit many, and I too want to be one of the long-healthy-haired members with an album to be proud of. That's my goal. To be able to create an album of before and after. But I know first things first. I may know a lot of things, but I have alot to learn. Stay with us....follow the posts. Love to get advice and wisdom from all that find this extraordinary. Thank you my sista.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
lavendarlover said:
I'm not sure if I have it all down, but here goes.

Hair type:
4a natural/ treated with permanent hair color-and lovin it!!

Products: Currently using Pantene Relaxed and Natural, Burt's bees shampoo bar (rosemary mint) and homemade "nappy nectar" which is a glycerin spray with essential oils- AWESOME STUFF!!

Condition of hair/length:
My hair is as healthy as it can be for color-treated hair. It is in it's natural texture, but I DO use color. It is differnt lengths all over. My hair grows in layers, and trying to even it out a lot results in constantly having short hair.
If I were to put a number on it I would have to say 4 inches, although I can't rmember the last time that I used a ruler. When my hair is stretched, it comes past my ears on each side, and it is almost to the bottom of my neck in the back. My goal is to have it full and to the bottom of my neck by the time it starts to get warm. I know a lot of people on here are looking at shoulder and bra strap length, but for me full and chin length would be major feat.

My hair story:
I have had chemically treated hair for 23 years. There were times that I had no edges, or only an inch of hair because my mom would change up chemical treatments. I never had more than six inches of hair on my best day. Most of the time my fine strands were over processed, and I had IMMENSE breakag. Since wearing my hair natural, the only breakage that I have is from dry combing. I get a lot of end breakage when I do that. It took me a LONG time to learn how to care for my kinky hair, but I finally have a lock on it. My hair has grown out pretty well, because I have more hair now than I did before the big chop. I would like to one day have ten inches of hir, which would probably put me right at shoulder length stretched. I have NEVER had that much hair.
I believ that my goal would take three years to reach. My hair grows somewhat slowly, so if I get four inches in a year I am doing well.
Right now i am taking iberet, which is an iron and folic acid prescription, and I have noticed a difference in my nails already. It has iron and folic acid in it, and is used to treat anemia.

Isn't it wonderful to discover good things that work for your hair? It's like a dream to discover and execute those techniques! Good for you for paying attention to your hair. :up: It will love you for it! :love:

I like the idea of the iron and folic together!! Every woman of childbearing age ought to take FOLIC.

Keep up the good work and most importantly, listen to your hair..

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
onepraying said:
Okay, I haven't even gotten past the 2nd page and I just gotta post!

This is fantastic! We can all learn alot from this!

DSD, what does you family think of your hair progress (sister(s), mom, etc.)?

Happy Hair Growing ladies!
~op~
They don't have much to say considering I wear my hair up a majority of the time. My husband loves it!! Everyone else(mother, sister, brother) they just give me the "you look cute" general comments.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Boadicea said:
This depends on what your hair can take and how you treat it. I've been bunning for several years and have never noticed any thin edges, but when I extend my relaxer my edges become thin because I often get impatient and want to comb through that section very fast.

Be slow and gentle when combing/brushing your hair and if you feel that a particular area is weaker than others, give that area special attention. Perhaps a little more moisturizer than you'd give another section or parting that section and combing it seperately at first and then combing it with the rest, etc.

ITA - One of the best tools I found for my hair was: GENTLE HANDS. My weaker area is my nape. I use extra moisture, extra conditioner and extra care in dealing with this area. I comb and brush with care.

I've since transitioned the bottom inch of my nape and it is moist and thriving! I want it to grow to atleast 3 to 4 inches before relaxing again.

I've found it most important to pay attention to what you do to your hair. I jot down the results, the mishaps, what doesn't nor hasn't worked and what does or has worked. This way, you can provide the best care for your hair as you grow in haircare. You and your hair grow together!

sugarsweet

LoriLOCX said:
Hi sugarsweet!!! Welcome to the Newcomer's Growing Out Club!!! I think you and I have the same texture!!! Although, I think the top of my hair, from the crown to my forehead maybe a type 1, cause it grows straight.

Wonderful pics!!!! You have beautiful hair!!! Weak, breaking, hard to manage hair is exactly what we are going to overcome here. What other products do you use aside from Parvenu? If your hair is like mine, you need to almost keep it in water for it to remain moist. Breakage could be too little or too much protein, and weakness could be cvaused from overprocessing and/or heat abuse.

Make sure you come back for the next steps, because this will get us all on track to starting a better routine. Welcome aboard sugarsweet. We are happy to have you, help you, and watch you grow out!!!!!

Hello LoriLOCX sorry it took me so long to reply my computer has been acting crazy. Glad to finally find someone who's hair is similar to mine maybe we can be hair buddies and help each other out along the way. :grin:
I also use wgo, doo gro, olive oil and vo5. I also have parts of my hair that grows straight depending on how well I take care of my hair. My hair is so weird I don't even know it's true texture because the healthier it gets the better it looks. That is why I really want to take the steps in making my hair as healthy as can be.

PatTodd

Count me in! I have been on the site only about a week and have learned so much. My hair is already healthier looking. As I type this I have my hair ends oiled and wrapped up in a baggie under my first phony bun! I took my alfalfa pills this morning!! I'm looking forward to collarbone length by the end of the year!!

Pat

1) Determine Your Hair Type - 3cFi

2) Tell us how long your hair is now. Mid-Neck

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now?
Breakage due to dryness and stressing the hair by overbrushing and hair elastics

Moisturizing Shampoo (whatever I have on hand until I get to the beauty store)
Mane and Tail Conditioner
Proclaim Hair Oil
Isoplus Castor Oil Pomade (this was before I learned about the cons of petroleum jelly, mineral oil, and cones!)

5) My Hair Story: A few years ago, I spent a lot of time taking care of my hair and it was in good conditions. Then I read a book called For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Weaves when the Chemicals Got Too Ruff. This book taught me about the value of keeping my hair moist and conditioned and avoiding hair tools and handling that would damage it. My hair grew long and lovely to my collarbone, the longest it had ever been. Then I got married and had my son, and since then, I have pretty much been ignoring my hair. I work out a lot and have had great trouble finding a style which works with my fitness routine. For the last year or so I have just been pulling it back into a bun and chopping it into a short bob every summer. I recently noticed the toll that neglect was taking on my hair, and decided I would like to have some length again. Currently my hair is a little longer than mid-neck length, but with some breakage at my hairline and where I secure the elastic for my bun. I am 38 and have also noticed that as I get older, my hair is becoming finer. My mother has extremely fine hair and I remember all of the home remedies she tried to make it thicker - henna, Glover's Mange, you name it. I wonder if I am the same age she was when she started to have trouble with it...Some of the ladies on this site have such beautiful thick hair. I just want to have the most beautiful, healthy hair that I can. I hope to post some photos soon!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
PatTodd said:
Count me in! I have been on the site only about a week and have learned so much. My hair is already healthier looking. As I type this I have my hair ends oiled and wrapped up in a baggie under my first phony bun! I took my alfalfa pills this morning!! I'm looking forward to collarbone length by the end of the year!!

Pat

1) Determine Your Hair Type - 3cFi

2) Tell us how long your hair is now. Mid-Neck

3) What condition is your Hair In? What type of hair challenges are you facing now?
Breakage due to dryness and stressing the hair by overbrushing and hair elastics

Moisturizing Shampoo (whatever I have on hand until I get to the beauty store)
Mane and Tail Conditioner
Proclaim Hair Oil
Isoplus Castor Oil Pomade (this was before I learned about the cons of petroleum jelly, mineral oil, and cones!)

5) My Hair Story: A few years ago, I spent a lot of time taking care of my hair and it was in good conditions. Then I read a book called For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Weaves when the Chemicals Got Too Ruff. This book taught me about the value of keeping my hair moist and conditioned and avoiding hair tools and handling that would damage it. My hair grew long and lovely to my collarbone, the longest it had ever been. Then I got married and had my son, and since then, I have pretty much been ignoring my hair. I work out a lot and have had great trouble finding a style which works with my fitness routine. For the last year or so I have just been pulling it back into a bun and chopping it into a short bob every summer. I recently noticed the toll that neglect was taking on my hair, and decided I would like to have some length again. Currently my hair is a little longer than mid-neck length, but with some breakage at my hairline and where I secure the elastic for my bun. I am 38 and have also noticed that as I get older, my hair is becoming finer. My mother has extremely fine hair and I remember all of the home remedies she tried to make it thicker - henna, Glover's Mange, you name it. I wonder if I am the same age she was when she started to have trouble with it...Some of the ladies on this site have such beautiful thick hair. I just want to have the most beautiful, healthy hair that I can. I hope to post some photos soon!
Welcome!! :wave:

With all of the wonderful advice and support here you will be able to grow your hair to great lengths. Good Luck on your hair growing journey!

c_octavia

I hope it is not too late for me to join!. I just recently registered with LHCF.. Don't get me wrong I have been lurking..
Here Goes

1) Hair Type - Relaxed 4b
2) Length- Mid Neck? and Layers in the front starting at the chin.
3) Condition Of Hair Dry & Weak... recovering from highlites.. I have got to get it through my head, bleach is just not my friend...
4) Products..
Shampoo- Nexxus Therappe, and Creme of Nature for Dry Brittle Hair
Conditioners- Nexxus Humectress, Creme Of Nature Nurishing, Elasta Qp-Intense, Elasta Qp H-Two Leave in Moisture Sealing Cond. Optimum-Opti Ph Post Relaxer Normalizer and Moisturizer ( says it can be used as a mointenance conditioner on the bottle)
Treatments- Aphogee Intense Keratin Treatment, Rx Prescriptions ph balanced Protein Pac, Henna n' Placenta ( havent used yet.)
Moisturisers- Elasta Qp Recovery, Keracare Oil Moisturizer w/ Jojoba oil, Elasta Qp Mango Butter, Teatree oil for Dry Scalp, Recently ordered Shealoe butter..cant wait till Wed. to try it.
5) Story.. My mom could never really manage my hair, she had 3a/3b hair.. so mine was too much for her to even bother to try I guess. I'm not in any way blaming her though, she just didn't know what to do. I wore my hair in braids for years, and would keep the same ones in for months at a time.( Box braids, micro braids, corn rows, crochett).. My hair would grow so I would keep it out of braids. Then would start perming too frequently and I almost never got it done professionaly, (can you say OVERLAPING??) I would try bleaching it, and it would fall out, so I would go back to braids. In August of 2003 I was pregnate so I went through the bc It was above my ears.. Since I wasn't using any chemicals my hair grew wonderfully. When I had my son in Feb my hair was almost touching my shoulders..(If I would have known about this site and many others, and that so many women went natural with wonderful results I probably would have kept it that way.) In March of 2004 I went to the salon, and got a good amount of my hair cut off into an A-line bob, it was still pretty long and Very healthy. In may I got a few highlites done professionaly. I thought I was miss thang, so in August I went and asked for alot more. I didn't like them when November came around so I dyed my hair dark with a semi permenent hair dye. Around Decemmber 2004 the parts of my hair that had previously been highlited began breaking off. So to get most of that hair cut off I got a choppy/flippy mid neck length bob. To try to cover up. Thats where I am now, I still do dusting but mainly get my trims done professionally. I am pretty much just trying to baby my hair back to good health.

I wanted to add the link to my Album

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
c_octavia said:
I hope it is not too late for me to join!. I just recently registered with LHCF.. Don't get me wrong I have been lurking..
Here Goes

1) Hair Type - Relaxed 4b
2) Length- Mid Neck? and Layers in the front starting at the chin.
3) Condition Of Hair Dry & Weak... recovering from highlites.. I have got to get it through my head, bleach is just not my friend...
4) Products..
Shampoo- Nexxus Therappe, and Creme of Nature for Dry Brittle Hair
Conditioners- Nexxus Humectress, Creme Of Nature Nurishing, Elasta Qp-Intense, Elasta Qp H-Two Leave in Moisture Sealing Cond. Optimum-Opti Ph Post Relaxer Normalizer and Moisturizer ( says it can be used as a mointenance conditioner on the bottle)
Treatments- Aphogee Intense Keratin Treatment, Rx Prescriptions ph balanced Protein Pac, Henna n' Placenta ( havent used yet.)
Moisturisers- Elasta Qp Recovery, Keracare Oil Moisturizer w/ Jojoba oil, Elasta Qp Mango Butter, Teatree oil for Dry Scalp, Recently ordered Shealoe butter..cant wait till Wed. to try it.
5) Story.. My mom could never really manage my hair, she had 3a/3b hair.. so mine was too much for her to even bother to try I guess. I'm not in any way blaming her though, she just didn't know what to do. I wore my hair in braids for years, and would keep the same ones in for months at a time.( Box braids, micro braids, corn rows, crochett).. My hair would grow so I would keep it out of braids. Then would start perming too frequently and I almost never got it done professionaly, (can you say OVERLAPING??) I would try bleaching it, and it would fall out, so I would go back to braids. In August of 2003 I was pregnate so I went through the bc It was above my ears.. Since I wasn't using any chemicals my hair grew wonderfully. When I had my son in Feb my hair was almost touching my shoulders..(If I would have known about this site and many others, and that so many women went natural with wonderful results I probably would have kept it that way.) In March of 2004 I went to the salon, and got a good amount of my hair cut off into an A-line bob, it was still pretty long and Very healthy. In may I got a few highlites done professionaly. I thought I was miss thang, so in August I went and asked for alot more. I didn't like them when November came around so I dyed my hair dark with a semi permenent hair dye. Around Decemmber 2004 the parts of my hair that had previously been highlited began breaking off. So to get most of that hair cut off I got a choppy/flippy mid neck length bob. To try to cover up. Thats where I am now, I still do dusting but mainly get my trims done professionally. I am pretty much just trying to baby my hair back to good health.

I wanted to add the link to my Album

Welcome! :wave: Sorry to hear about your highlight delima. I know that with the world of knowledge here you will ge your hair back to health in no time at all! Going to take a peek at your album!!