Nikos - Blogs in siggys

Tee

The announcement said no blogs, but then I read blogs are okay if you are not selling something.

What is the rule on blogs in siggys? I still see a lot of people with links to their blogs. Many of us removed them once reading the announment. If we can have then, then I would like to add mine back. (Not selling anything on my blog blog either.)

Please clarify this rule so it will be clear to all and we all abide by the same rules. Thanks

Vintageglam

Hi Tee,

I think its no blogs per se. The issue is not whether you are selling something but rather the diverting of traffic i.e. using LHCF as a huge resource for generating traffic for your site. The idea being that LHCF pay a fortune to host the site to then allow others to use it for free as a platform.

Feel free to chip in all.....

Nice & Wavy

I hear you Tee....and I got a feeling there are some tippy-toeing around what Niko's said.

He did say "no personal blogs in siggy's" so I think he may need to clarify this a little more.:yep:

Irresistible

I understand why Fotki links continue to be allowed since we had them from the beginning

my question ....... are hair related youtube channel links allowed in our siggy? since I was unsure I removed mine

sorry to piggyback on your post Tee-:sneakyhug:

Demi27

The announcement said no blogs, but then I read blogs are okay if you are not selling something.

What is the rule on blogs in siggys? I still see a lot of people with links to their blogs. Many of us removed them once reading the announment. If we can have then, then I would like to add mine back. (Not selling anything on my blog blog either.)

Please clarify this rule so it will be clear to all and we all abide by the same rules. Thanks

I agree because I removed my link to my blog as well. I wasn't selling anything, but I know what you mean.

LadyRaider

I saw a girl here who had her blog, her website, her youtube channel and her ning in her sig. And yes she is trying to sell something.

This was the same girl that recruited members for her ning by using other nings' private messaging tools. She absolutely gutted this one ning and took almost all the traffic there.

I'm glad this board has these rules. People are sneaky.

chiprecious

I saw a girl here who had her blog, her website, her youtube channel and her ning in her sig. And yes she is trying to sell something.

This was the same girl that recruited members for her ning by using other nings' private messaging tools. She absolutely gutted this one ning and took almost all the traffic there.

I'm glad this board has these rules. People are sneaky.

This board has rules but all rules don't apply for all or they are bent for some...One minute...no blogs..next minute when CERTAIN members post blogs...it's ok because they aren't selling anything...NO CONSISTENCY!

theprototype

The way I understood it you could not have any external links in your signature besides your Fotki link. I still see people with links to their blogs and YouTube channels though, so.. pft, who knows.

apemay1969

Dang I didn't even see the original no blogs in siggy post. I'll be sure to remove mine. I don't care about the seeming lack of clarity. I'll just do what I think is right. Thanks for refreshing the issue.

Tee

The way I understood it you could not have any external links in your signature besides your Fotki link. I still see people with links to their blogs and YouTube channels though, so.. pft, who knows.
Yeap, that is how I took it too. And if that is the rule, fine. But it's not consistent when I see members who know all about how the board works, posting often, and seem to know all the rules still have blogs and yes, as Irresistible said, Youtube links as well.

Geminigirl

Shoot the way I see it, It's all unfair. I liked how I got banned for cursing but spelling it weird, yet,I see this all the time. In almost every thread I go in, well not every, but A LOT. Is it unfair, YUP, sure is. Do they have favorites? Yup. Do some get away with things MMM HMM. But oh well. I still come to this board. Not for those that don't play by the rules. Not for those that don't follow the rules and it falls under "we can't manage everything, but YOU" Who cares. Come here enjoy your time. When things ain't fair, shrug and keep it moving.

KiniKakes

Well I was banned for 10 days for having my blog in my siggy, so I removed mine completely, so there's no room for error at all. :lol: I enjoy LHCF immensely, and that 10 days was torturous!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I thought it was pretty clear. I don't sell anything on my pages, but I took down my YouTube and blog (both of which are hair and beauty focused and non-sponsored.) I think he means everything no matter what your blog is about.

I thanked the OP because there are still tons of members who have their blogs etc linked so it is VERY confusing in that aspect. The people still in violation post in the same posts as the actively posting mods and nothing has happened as far as I can tell. I know it takes time, but it comes off as being sort of unfair.

Last edited:

Tee

I thought it was pretty clear. I don't sell anything on my pages, but I took down my YouTube and blog (both of which are hair and beauty focused and non-sponsored.) I think he means everything no matter what your blog is about.

I thanked the OP because there are still tons of members who have their blogs etc linked so it is VERY confusing in that aspect. The people still in violation post in the same posts as the actively posting mods and nothing has happened as far as I can tell. I know it takes time, but it comes off as being sort of unfair.
I could not have said this any better. You are right, it was very clear to me but the bold is very true as well.

MzRhonda

I took it to mean all blogs to. I have not checked DLewis but I loved going to hers for her recipes. :cry:

I think it is a bit extreme, imo.....I frequent other messages boards/forums for FREE and siggys are allowed...personal or otherwise.

Geminigirl

at the end of the day all you can really do is worry about you. If you aren't doing anything wrong then you don't have anything to worry about. If it says no blogs yadda yadda, remove yours, and let the rest go.

WhipEffectz1

I take it as meaning ALL blogs but in the same token if they are wanting to make money off of advertisements then my blog don't count. Real talk. I'm not selling on my blog.:perplexed I'm working on my master plan as we speak so I'm not going to worry about it. Their site...their rules.

Nice & Wavy

It does include ALL blogs, even the one here. Someone came on here and made a blog post, to sell a product and talked about a website. That blog was removed (and I believe the person) with a quickness!

sleepflower

The original announcement said the only external links were to fotki. The only blogs allowed were the ones you can create on this site. No YouTube, no other types of blogs, no other types of sites. If that has changed, I have no idea. :) I do not want to link my personal sites here and so far am too afraid to post pictures at at Fotki! Anyway, I have seen people with large sigs and links to non-LHCF blogs and sites (and yes, one was a mod) after the announcement, so it might have changed, or they have not reached everyone.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I did that before the announcement. I made a post in the career forum and a blog announcing my business because I was so excited. The blog was removed and a PM was sent to me, but I'm still here. I just don't have my link in my signature anymore and I don't create posting about my business.

It does include ALL blogs, even the one here. Someone came on here and made a blog post, to sell a product and talked about a website. That blog was removed (and I believe the person) with a quickness!

MzRhonda

^^^^^ I'm probably in the minority on this one but what is the problem with discussing YOUR business here?????? I'm all for supporting each other and giving my money to each other if possible....keeping our side gigs and business hush hush does nothing but have us give our money to someone else.....networking, social networking, supporting each other is a good thing.

If I am looking for soemthing Mary Kay offers and there are Mary Kay reps here that I have come to know(but don't know they are Mary Kay reps) I will go out and find someone who is, perhaps a stranger, when I could have been giving my business to one of the ladies here. Or there may be a web designer here but she can't promote herself as a web designer so now I find someone else to give my business to. We are in hard economic times people are finding ways to supplement their incomes and I'd rather support my LHCF sisters if I could.

We tell others about this site they pay to join. :perplexed:

Just a short vent. LOL.

WaistLengthDreams

^^^No one is saying that you can not advertise YOUR business but you have to follow the rules if you want to do it. If you want to rep YOUR business then you need to subscribe to the site with a "Seller's Account." See below, as per Nikos:

Clarification on the announcement:

Advertisements are not allowed anywhere in the forum (posts or signatures) unless authorized or unless you have a seller account. Examples:

Come join my AVON shop, I have found the Iwillbecomeamillionairebyjustbrowsingtheweb website, come join my personal blog, come join my new facebook like website.

The same applies to your signature. No ads whatsoever. If you need to share information with other members that exists in other websites you can do so by either copying and pasting the content here (preferred method) or providing a link to that site. You MUST know that the owner of the content allows you to post content here otherwise you might be infringing on copyright.

You also are not allowed to provide links to websites/blogs that are operated by others so as the other party can gain from our traffic. I understand that this is a really grey area and it is difficult to 'police' this. We do not want to stop the links to other sites. This will remove a lot of value from our members and the information source that our community has.

I leave this to your discretion as to what can be linked and what not. Two examples I can bring:

I post a link to CNN about a recent event that affects us all - this one is OK.
I post a link to a personal blog (mine or a friends) which has ads thereby driving traffic to that site from ours - this one is not allowed.

Again, links in the forum are a very grey area and I would appreciate it if you do not abuse it. So far there have been only a couple of instances that I had to ban people for advertising in posts. Recently an ex-member posted the same message in all forums - come join my social network.

Out of the members that have been banned, only one was reinstated since the script did not accurately assess her signature. The rest of them will join us in 7-10 days.

As we continue assessing signatures, if you have links to personal sites, pyramid schemes etc. please remove them. If your signature is big it will be deleted.

I hope this helps a bit more.

When in doubt: ASK!

I do not have my PMs enabled so if you want to ask something either do so in the Suggestions board or open a ticket in the support area.

BostonMaria: There is a special package called 'Sellers' under User CP - Subscriptions. This one allows you to post in the Sellers forum and advertise. The color of your display name changes to brown in that case.

Robotxcore please check post #56 in this topic.

MzRhonda

^^^ Where the heck is the sellers forum? It's $100 for 2 months but where is it located for others to go to who may be interested in perhaps purchasing from the subscribers? How is the traffic there and is it worth the cost?

Last edited:

WaistLengthDreams

^^^It is on the home page and it's called "Vender & Sellers Review." If it's something that you are considering, I imagine you would have to weigh the cost and benefits of advertising on LHCF and make a decision. Similar to what you would do with any other business investment, I'm sure.

MzRhonda

Oh Venders and Sellers Review...I've been there, lol, but all I read are posts about products being purchased elsewhere and not from each other and mainly hair products, if I am looking in the right place so if that isi the case and the place then it's not worth the price, imo or it could simply mean that not many, if any, LHCF'rs have paid a subscription for the Sellers Forum.

^^^It is on the home page and it's called "Vender & Sellers Review." If it's something that you are considering, I imagine you would have to weigh the cost and benefits of advertising on LHCF and make a decision. Similar to what you would do with any other business investment, I'm sure.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
^^^^^ I'm probably in the minority on this one but what is the problem with discussing YOUR business here?????? I'm all for supporting each other and giving my money to each other if possible....keeping our side gigs and business hush hush does nothing but have us give our money to someone else.....networking, social networking, supporting each other is a good thing.

If I am looking for soemthing Mary Kay offers and there are Mary Kay reps here that I have come to know(but don't know they are Mary Kay reps) I will go out and find someone who is, perhaps a stranger, when I could have been giving my business to one of the ladies here. Or there may be a web designer here but she can't promote herself as a web designer so now I find someone else to give my business to. We are in hard economic times people are finding ways to supplement their incomes and I'd rather support my LHCF sisters if I could.

We tell others about this site they pay to join. :perplexed:

Just a short vent. LOL.

See MzRhonda,

We both have been on this board for long enough to know how thing use to be. When you could have a link in your signature with no problem. You could even start a post about your business as long as you wasn't spamming anyone. This no advertising has just started very recently and I think that is the problem. Last year I was selling Avon and my link was in my signature. I agree with you completely. Not just because I have a side business but because I always want to suppose my own and here is considered my own. But it is what it is. What can be done about it.

^^^No one is saying that you can not advertise YOUR business but you have to follow the rules if you want to do it. If you want to rep YOUR business then you need to subscribe to the site with a "Seller's Account." See below, as per Nikos:

I'm all about following the rules, the problem comes in that this new rule was just enforced this year. The fee for advertising was just created this year. For someone who just joined this year it may sound normal, but for those of us who remembers being able to advertise on here for free if nothing else but have your links in your signature this is all new and doesn't seem very fair at all. In fact when the career forum was created that was a big thing, being able to advertise without there being a problem. So when I posted my blog I didn't know that it was not allowed because we have always been able to let each other know what we have to offer. I guess no era, new rules. It is what it is. So is life.

firecracker

I don't think the rules are that confusing. Some folks simply choose to break the rules or twist them.
I am waiting for this blog bubble to explode due to blog overload and over saturation. I am sure folks will be moving to the next big thing\fad as usual around here and the internet world.