Nioxin and possible hair loss...

MoMo

Has anyone ever experienced some type of hair loss or thinning from using Nioxin Recharging Complex? I had mid-back length hair and had to BC in August (cut 7 inches of hair). I don't know if this was the result of me transitioning from a texturizer and I was mishandling my hair but my stylist told me to stop taking the Nioxin vitamins. I read the ingredients and they were not much different from regular hair, nail and skin vitamins. I've got a huge bottle left over and I want to try taking them 2x a day because I have read such good reviews but I'm nervous because I'm trying to get back those 7 inches and then some. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. For the record...I experienced a lot of hair growth using these vitamins which is why I continued to take them in the first place. Thanks guys!

lana

I'm interested in hearing a response to this question. I am taking Nioxin twice a day and I had breakage during the time that I took this vitamin, but I thought it was due to stress and a stylist using too much heat on my hair. Now I wonder...

I haven't had any bad side effects that I know of...anyone else?

KiniKakes

No, I havent experienced this at all. Unless you have a more definitive reason to believe your hair loss may have been due to the Nioxin, if I were you I would continue to take these vitamins to help facilitate your hair re-growth. They've been great for me.

Good luck girl! I hope you figureo out the culprit.

MzOptimistic

Well,

I have been taking them for going on three months now and I have not experienced hair breakage...all I keep get it ng, ng, and more ng...I will keep monitoring and see though.....:)

Denim And Leather

I co-sign with the other ladies. I've been taking Nioxin Recharging Complex for about 5 months now, and it has definitely helped my hair grow faster, not hinder it or cause it to fall out.

I cannot help but wonder why your hairdresser would blame some vitamins for your hair loss?

MoMo

Denim And Leather said:
I co-sign with the other ladies. I've been taking Nioxin Recharging Complex for about 5 months now, and it has definitely helped my hair grow faster, not hinder it or cause it to fall out.

I cannot help but wonder why your hairdresser would blame some vitamins for your hair loss?

I thought the same thing. I actually began to think that my hair broke off because of these vitamins. Anywho, after doing a search on this forum, I noticed that there was something about these vitamins containing a DHT blocker. I will say that I really did like these vitamins and I'm beginning to think that my transitioning from a texturizer and not caring for my hair properly, is the cause of my breakage and not the vitamins. I think I will resume using them again since I have heard such good reveiws. Thanks!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

this sounds very confusing to me, I don't understand how something that's suppose to help w/hair growth can cause it to break, :confused: . I think your stylist just had an urge to cut and you happen to be the victim. Now if you said you were having some serious hair loss/shedding since taking them, then I would be able to understand why you or your stylist would think the Nioxxin could be the culprit.
You may need to start protecting those ends and wear some protective styles for awhile, I think the hair was being handled and that's where the damage ends came into play which resulted in breakage.
Now I question how much damage and did your stylist really need to cut that much? It could have just needed some moisture or protein and/or a good balance of both and a small trim to nurse them back to health.
Oh yeah I haven't had a problem since taking the Nioxxin's, I'm actually mad I didn't start taking them when the first rave was posted.

MoMo

My hair had a lot of breakage and shedding for the first time since taking the vitamins (in the three years since I began growing my hair) but it was also the first time that I began transitioning which is why I wasn't sure what to attribute it to. I had so much breakage that you could see in the back of my head the significant difference in lengths which is why she cut it. I agree that she didn't need to cut so much off because I was hoping to just go into wearing protective styles until it got better. Nevertheless, she was probably wrong and it wasn't the Nioxin just that my hair needed better care.

Denim And Leather

MoMo said:
I thought the same thing. I actually began to think that my hair broke off because of these vitamins. Anywho, after doing a search on this forum, I noticed that there was something about these vitamins containing a DHT blocker. I will say that I really did like these vitamins and I'm beginning to think that my transitioning from a texturizer and not caring for my hair properly, is the cause of my breakage and not the vitamins. I think I will resume using them again since I have heard such good reveiws. Thanks!

You're welcome. I'm glad you figured it out, now you can get back to business and grow back those 7 inches! :D

InJesusName

I question how the vitamins can contribute to breakage because they rwork on the roots which is where growth begins. If you are experiencing breakage from the ends, there may be something you need to add to (or delete from) your regimen that may be causing it. The fact that you are transitioning could have something to do with the breakage since the natural hair texture tends to be drier.

I don't know your stylist, but I would question how they came to the conclusion that the breakage was caused by the vitamins. Likewise, 7 inches seems excessive. If your hair has been growing consistently for three years why would there be a need to cut off that much? It kinda sounds like a little undercover hateration to me:sekret: .