NJOY'S HAIR CONCOTION CHALLENGE

Evo-ny

Try using those small thin elastic headbands. Mine used to come off, but I put one or two around my head and my bonnet stays in place.

MsEveMarie

Hey ladies-

For some reason daily cowashing is drying the crap outta my hair - I know it's supposed to have the opposite effect, but it just never worked for me. Would it be bad to apply the mix nightly and only wash with a DC treatment once a week? Or is that too much oil clogging up my scalp?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hey ladies-

For some reason daily cowashing is drying the crap outta my hair - I know it's supposed to have the opposite effect, but it just never worked for me. Would it be bad to apply the mix nightly and only wash with a DC treatment once a week? Or is that too much oil clogging up my scalp?

I remember when I said co-washing didn't work for me. I think it was the type of conditioner I was using because it was more for a DC. Now I only co-wash with V05 moisture milks because that's the only one that doesn't bother me. I just make sure I rinse my scalp EXTRA good.

BadMamaJama

Hey ladies-

I'm 12 weeks post right now and cowashing is out of the question for me. My hair is in cornrows and I'm washing once a week. I did wash my hair this past Monday because my scalp was itching, but once a week is fine.

I love cowashing but only up to 8 weeks post. I found that if I leave a bit of conditioner in my hair it feels great.

MsEveMarie

I remember when I said co-washing didn't work for me. I think it was the type of conditioner I was using because it was more for a DC. Now I only co-wash with V05 moisture milks because that's the only one that doesn't bother me. I just make sure I rinse my scalp EXTRA good.

Hmm maybe I'll have to revisit the cheapie conditioners. I stopped using them because I didn't want to leave any residue/cones on my scalp/hair

MsEveMarie

I'm 12 weeks post right now and cowashing is out of the question for me. My hair is in cornrows and I'm washing once a week. I did wash my hair this past Monday because my scalp was itching, but once a week is fine.

I love cowashing but only up to 8 weeks post. I found that if I leave a bit of conditioner in my hair it feels great.

You know my hair loves when I leave a lil bit of condish on my wash/dc days...but that trick did not work one bit when I co-washed. I'm completely natural...so maybe this just isn't for me.

Are you applying the oil every night?

Onhergrind09

MsEveMarie, I only wash out the mix either once or twice a week and I've had no issues. I know others who do the same, it's a matter of personal preference I've seen no ill effects from applying the mix daily and only washing once a week.

MsEveMarie

Onhergrind09 said:
MsEveMarie, I only wash out the mix either once or twice a week and I've had no issues. I know others who do the same, it's a matter of personal preference I've seen no ill effects from applying the mix daily and only washing once a week.

Yayy thanks that's great to hear! Thought I was going to have to drop out of the challenge

BadMamaJama

MsEveMarie, I do apply it every night. I recently relaxed after being natural. It took me awhile to get the hang of cowashing. When I finally got it, I was addicted and that's why I still do it now.

You don't have to cowash if you don't want to. I know PinkSunshine only applied her mix twice a week on her wash days and still got great results.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
My hair is feeling a bit dry since starting the regimen, and I am using all of my same products except i added this concoction.

BadMamaJama

TopShelf Mine was a bit drying at first also. I added some more castor oil to my mix and it's much better. Of course the amount of sulfur to oil isn't the same either but it's working for me. I also put moisturizer in my hair before I put the mix in, and I always baggy after for about an hour.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
BadMamaJama said:
TopShelf Mine was a bit drying at first also. I added some more castor oil to my mix and it's much better. Of course the amount of sulfur to oil isn't the same either but it's working for me. I also put moisturizer in my hair before I put the mix in, and I always baggy after for about an hour.

Exactly! Though mine was never dry because my first batch included 4oz of JBCO instead of 2oz..

futureapl

I applied the mixture this afternoon. I will wash my hair tomorrow. Relaxer next week. I will be 7 Weeks post.

ilong

God's Own
Checking in -
I moisturize, condition apply my revised sulfur concoction,massage and baggy every other night. On the alternate nights I moisturize, condition massage my scalp with bhringraj and brahmi oils and baggy.

Side note: I'm still in sew in installed July 27th. Measured new growth is 1" (distance from scalp to track). I measured all of the tracks.

longhairdreaming

Checking in...used my mix for a week then stopped when I flat ironed(4days). Clarified, dc, cornrowed my hair, applied my mix and baggied last night. Think I'll continue with the baggying mostly 'cause I don't smell anything at night lol

greenandchic

Last night I used my Mix #2 (which has more of a coconut oil base). I will use Mix #1 tonight, shampoo and henna tomorrow night.

Slicebread

Checking also. I placed my mix in, co wash every 2 days. Putting JBCO on the ends with Virgin CO and bagging at night. Seeing lots go new growth.

25Nona

I haven't been posting much but I have been sticking to the challenge. I've been applying my mix two times a week once on Wednesday and the second time on Saturday or Sunday.

xu93texas

Hi ladies,

Should I stop using my mixture for a few days before doing a semi-permanent rinse? I need to color my grays popping up all over my TWA.:lol:

MrsMelodyV

I really started missing my straight hair. I washed, conditioned, and twisted my hair yesterday. Then I did a protein treatment today then conditioned then straightened cause I couldn't take it. Haha. I applied my mix after my leave in and now I'm happy.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Hi ladies,

Should I stop using my mixture for a few days before doing a semi-permanent rinse? I need to color my grays popping up all over my TWA.:lol:

I would. And you may want to clarify to make sure the oil doesn't seal your roots

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I just applied my concoction, did a really long scalp massage and now I'm baggying for about few hours. I'm feeling reeeally good about my hair right now!!

xu93texas

I just applied my concoction, did a really long scalp massage and now I'm baggying for about few hours. I'm feeling reeeally good about my hair right now!!

KiWiStyle,
Keep up the good work!:grin: Your hair looks great! (I saw pics after you did your henna treatment). Have you gone wig shopping yet?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
xu93texas said:
KiWiStyle,
Keep up the good work!:grin: Your hair looks great! (I saw pics after you did your henna treatment). Have you gone wig shopping yet?

Thanks xu93texas! I'm trying not to get hair lazy and so I'm constantly looking for motivation and inspiration. I don't even know where to begin shopping for wigs. I hate the really shiny and silky ones because it's so obvious. I like the short ones but they don't hid my kitchens, lol. As for the long ones. Let's just say DH won't agree with it. He dislike wigs and weaves so I'll have to find a happy median.

How's the TWA coming along?? I see you're coloring your hair soon, you're not a fan of henna?? You can do a henna and then indigo if you want black hair...

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I don't co-wash every day so most of the time my hair is greasy from my mix. The problem is that I work in I.T. and I have to touch other people's laptops. I keep leaving HUGE greasy fingerprints on their machines and I have to make sure I wipe it down before I give it back to them LOL. They're probably all whispering about me calling me the greasy gal :lachen:

Hey ladies I guess I decided to poke my head out of my shell. Ive actually already joined the challenge with you alllast week when I got my sulfur but I was to nervous to post but I'm in!(btw my concotion is alittle different as I am a simple person and cant gather all the great ingrediants you guys can.) Ive been watching this thread since August when it began and I am hoping to see great results. So here we go ..

Which challenge are you in, 4 or 6 month?
4 Month but if all goes well 6

Which will be in your mixture?
8oz Wild Growth oil
1 oz. Jamaican black castor oil
1 heaping tsp of sulfur

Starting pic
I will post off my phone later tonight

If relaxed, how many weeks post?
My last relaxer was May havenet had much of any new growth tho hair and hair was in sew in.

Last edited: