NO Braid Twist Extensions (PICS)

P

patient1

A member was asking about twists with a smoother hair, etc. and I promised pics.

Here they are:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2322/cat/500/ppuser/7466

These are twist extensions without the braided roots. Kanekalon was used (Freetress Yaki Soft Braid which is the BEST for all braiding). The ends were rodded and set with hot water and setting lotion. Ignore the stray, I forget what the story was with that! LOL! I can't remember if that was her hair or a twist I forgot to set.

I did them big on purpose because my daughter's texture doesn't hold braids well and she takes em out soon. No way I was doing a 5 hour braid job for them to be gone in a week.

I used a holding agent on her hair as I place them in to keep her hair smooth. Her real hair is a bit past bsl. Mind you though, she's not quite 12 yet. So it's training bra strap length.

Hope it helps!! There are more pics of the style in the gallery.

p1

P

patient1

Thanks for the comps ladies. I'll tell my little lady you all liked them.

Hey JLove, your possible conversion is a big compliment. LOL!!!

p1

Summer_Rain

I'd rock those in a heartbeat! I was nearly in tears because I thought that was all her...she was about to be my new hair idol!...(hope that came out the right way) i love it either way! I wish i had the patience and know- how to pull that off

P

patient1

SummerRain said:
I'd rock those in a heartbeat! I was nearly in tears because I thought that was all her...she was about to be my new hair idol!...(hope that came out the right way) i love it either way! I wish i had the patience and know- how to pull that off

LOL!! That came out fine. I know what you mean. The funny thing is, the twists duplicate her own texture very well. We took these out last night so I'll have to post a comparison pic. I've cut her hair to her ears two or three times. The last time was April of 05. She's grown it back pretty quickly and now she's old enough to take responsiblity for all that hair her SELF!!!

p1

eta: Here's her hair now that the twists are out.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2332&nocache=1
We haven't washed, detangled, conditioned and all that good stuff yet. The deep spirals are from her hair being twisted for a couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

kristina

Gorgeous! I love this style so much. And thank for the braid hair recommendation-I'm going to try it for my next set of braids in January

P

patient1

kristina said:
Gorgeous! I love this style so much. And thank for the braid hair recommendation-I'm going to try it for my next set of braids in January

Thanks for the complie. Did you make it through all of 06 without braids?:D And congrats again on your big accomplishment!!

p1

kristina

patient1 said:
Thanks for the complie. Did you make it through all of 06 without braids?:D And congrats again on your big accomplishment!!

p1

Alas no, what can I say, I punked out. I'm in braids at the moment. I basically cracked b/c of work and the bar exam- I just could not justify spending any time detangling and dealing my hair. Over the summer, I seriously considered starting locs or relaxing but I went to braids instead.

P

patient1

kristina said:
Alas no, what can I say, I punked out. I'm in braids at the moment. I basically cracked b/c of work and the bar exam- I just could not justify spending any time detangling and dealing my hair. Over the summer, I seriously considered starting locs or relaxing but I went to braids instead.

Hey, I understand. I love wearing my natural hair out and about, but I also like the time management I get when I invest a few hours into a set of braids that can hold me for a month or so. Yes, I could puff or fro it everyday,but even that takes time. With braids, I spritz em, bun em and go. Once my hair is long enough for a low bun, that'll probably be the only thing I ever wear most of the time. If I can get up and slap it into a ponyholder, I'm good to go.

OT: What branch of law are you going into?

p1

Summer_Rain

patient1 said:
LOL!! That came out fine. I know what you mean. The funny thing is, the twists duplicate her own texture very well. We took these out last night so I'll have to post a comparison pic. I've cut her hair to her ears two or three times. The last time was April of 05. She's grown it back pretty quickly and now she's old enough to take responsiblity for all that hair her SELF!!!

p1

eta: Here's her hair now that the twists are out.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2332&nocache=1
We haven't washed, detangled, conditioned and all that good stuff yet. The deep spirals are from her hair being twisted for a couple of weeks.

i LOVE it!!!

i sho'do wish you lived in NC...I'd be standing at your door with a six pack, some hair and a smile like this :D sayin "pppllleeaassee do mines too!" :D

P

patient1

Cheleigh said:
Those twists are gorgeous. How long did they take to do, and are the difficult to master?

With practice I think anyone can master anything. Practice and a sure and confident hand. These only took me a couple of hours (maybe 2.5) because I did them large. It's more difficult than the regular braid and twist because you have to do some estimate as far as placement of the extension hair, how far to twist it in before twisting it down, etc. You also have to become steady and coordinated with both hands. Since I'm right-handed, I had to get my left hand in step. The final consideration is that you don't want them too tight. So you have to be sure of where the extension hair is placed. Once you do a few you get the hang and it's smooth sailing. It helps if you like to braid too. For me it's meditative. I get a good rhythm going and if I"m not running my mouth I'm deep in thought.

I imagine that if you want them pencil size this could take anywhere from 4 to 5 hours. The individuals I have pics of in the gallery took me about five hours. If I do a clients hair they can expect to be with me anywhere from 7-8 hours because I usually clarify, wash, deep condition, detangle, add a leave-in and work it through, braid, finish the ends, and then oil their scalp. The actual braiding has yet to take me beyond 5 hours unless they take breaks.

hth,
p1

P

patient1

SummerRain said:
i LOVE it!!!

i sho'do wish you lived in NC...I'd be standing at your door with a six pack, some hair and a smile like this :D sayin "pppllleeaassee do mines too!" :D

LOL!! And I'd be like, "Come on in girl! What's good?!" I know you'd have some good stories. The time would go by quickly!!!

p1