No-Heat and No-combing....Say WHAT?

SmilingElephant

Okay....i have come to understand that some of u ladies are not using heat at all and some of u don't comb everyday.....in particular i'm speaking to the relaxed heads like me.......back to the point....some of u do both.:blush:

I CANNOT go without combing my hair. Finger combing is out the window...especially at 3 wks post!:grin:

I've actually kinda failed some challenges bc i needed to use heat on my hair....flat-iron in particular.....Even my rollersetting does nothing for my roots....besides, i suck at it!!:nono:

I do braidouts all the time...but i long to have a more sleek look the majority of the time.....

How do you ladies do it?:wallbash:

msa

I'm not relaxed but I do this.

I think it takes the right products, routine, and finding hairstyles that work for you. It's pretty difficult IMO to get a sleek look with no comb and no heat, so if that's what you like then just do your thing.

cutiepiebabygirl

I am currently 6 weeks post...I only comb through it under the shower at this point...I don't wear my hair in sleek styles...which has been the key to not combing my hair or using heat..I wear braids outs 99% of the time..This has helped me retain a lot of length...

I co-wash every 2-3 days..moisturzing & sealing..braid it..tie on my satin scarf...and finger style /comb in the morning...

FlawedBeauty

i dont do either and i wash almost daily. when i get outta the shower i just gently towel dry, add moisturizer and cover with my satin scarf. in the mornin i just take off the scarf and go. usually i will pin it up tho i dont wear my hair down often.

SmilingElephant

I'm doing all these things(except for the not combing thing) that u ladies are saying as of now....which has helped me get to mbl....but i'm getting bored with it and i suck at styling....i am really good at caring for it but when it comes to those fancy buns and wonderful looking protective styles....oh no!!!:nono:

Its starting to kinda become second nature which doesn't make it so exciting anymore, i guess.

Simply_Kelz

I do these things about 70% of the time, but not when I'm looking for the sleek look. Mostly with buns, twistouts and braidouts. When I want to wear my hair straight and finger comb, I put it in 4 pincurls at night and fingercomb in the morning.

loveable37

I am using heat whenever my hair needs it ,what works for other might not works for me.(lesson to learn)I tried to BAGGIE METHOD for a while my ends broke off badly.The NO-COMBIN my hair got tangled up with the new hair i was pullin out my hair completely. STRENGTHIN was all i could do .
HEAT will not stop u from retainin ur lenght as long as it used properly.

blessedandlucky

well, i've stopped using heat as much as i used too because i think that it can interfer with retention. i tried to airdry last wash; it started drying crunchy so i ended up using the blowdryer. i've decided that i'll only blowdry when i wash and i've put the flat iron away. it's not allowed near my ends. i will use it to do my roots, sometimes, when i'm deep into a stretch. everything isn't for everybody and we can all meet our goals - different strokes for different folks:)

tnorenberg

i dont do either and i wash almost daily. when i get outta the shower i just gently towel dry, add moisturizer and cover with my satin scarf. in the mornin i just take off the scarf and go. usually i will pin it up tho i dont wear my hair down often.

Ditto here. My reggie is pretty much the same..wash,detangle in shower, squeeze dry, leave in, seal, bun and out the door or to sleep. Works for me and I'm at 11 weeks post too. :blush::grin:

prospurr4

I'm texlaxed and comb only on wash day, which is once a week, using a Jilbere de Paris shower comb. I stretch my touchups to 14 weeks and haven't used heat in over 3 years.

I rollerset weekly and (depending on the size of the roller used) wear my hair either in a bun or curly. Sometimes I skip the rollers and do a twistout.

vnaps

i relax.....texlaxed.....and have started to wash once a week.....and comb (detangling mainly) only on wash days.

my hair is in buns most of the time.....i work in hospitality so have no choice...suites me well.

i am currently 7 weeks post with quite a bit of growth....

i like sleek buns and am suprised that mine are just that.......i have to confess that i use a denman brush on my edges to get a smooth look....it also helps to distribute the oils evenly

kblc06

Have you tried wet wrapping (wrapping the hair when wet and sitting under a hair dryer or letting it airdry)? I did this when I was relaxed. It provided nice sleek hair and minimal manipulation-my hair was about bsl at the time . For nightly up keep you can cross wrap which you can do easily just by finger combing and pinning the hair :yep:

Note: I was also relaxed mostly bone-straight