No heat inspiration

pmichael52172

A college friend of mine e-mailed me pics of her recent bridal shower and all I could focus on was her hair progress (besides the delicious spread of food!)

Although you don't know her or the condition/length of her hair in the past, let me just say that the pic attached is miraculous. Her hair has never been this long and couldn't get past the shoulder (barely sweeping it) without breaking.

It's been a while since I've seen her so I'm sure this growth wasn't overnight but I will say that her growth has been unusually fast.
When I saw the pics I asked if she had a weave. She said no and I told her the "spill it". I deleted her reply by accident but she said that:

She stopped using heat several months ago.
She uses Aphogee shampoo and conditioner at home.
She wraps her hair at night
She goes to the salon every two weeks and get's her hair rollerset for $10.
(Although she lives in Raleigh-Durham, I don't think a professional beautician is that cheap. She's always let friends do her hair for less.)
Now she is not a hair fanatic and just does what she can to get by with time - especially now that she's planning for her wedding.

Her hair was spiral set (no heat again) for her bridal shower.
I'm am truly encouraged to keep doing my rollersets as I have been doing. For the past 4 weeks, I have used no heat except for sitting under the dryer for about 15 minutes to "lock in my" wetsets and then airdry in bed. I don't purpose to do this but I wash my hair at night and get so sleepy under the dryer I just call it a night and work with it in the morning. Of course she's the one in the pic with her back turned.

Last edited:

Radianthealth

Her hair looks great, I am going to try to do the no heat thing. It isn't hard for me, I have only used heat maybe 4 times in the last year. I have to figure out how to do a proper rollerset but I am waiting to reach my APL goal before I wear my hair down so that should be in a couple of months

pmichael52172

It is so important to know your own hair and its tendencies. Your goal includes wearing yours up and mine must be wearing it down more than not.

I've found that the more I pin my hair up, no matter how loosely, it weakens and breaks - especially in the area where I've secured the pin up or gathered the hair.

SvelteVelvet

I can second that. Cutting direct heat away from my regimen down to 2 times a month, got me beyond the SL mark to where I am today. I did that last November and my hair has been flourishing ever since as well as more frequent washes and DC'ing everytime.