No more hair in the comb

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I just recently cut out a step in my wash regemin. I was surprised how leaving out this one step made a difference. I used to comb the conditioner through my hair to ensure that each and evey strand was treated. I would always end up with hair in my comb, even though it is a jibere shower comb. I would even find hair in my comb no matter how gentle I was.

This past couple wash days I have left that step out. After shampooing I used my hands to seperate my hair into two sections and carefully applied the conditioner starting at the ends and working my way up. I usually take the time to comb the conditioner through but decided to skip that part. I deep conditioned as usual. I rinsed in the shower and used my jibere wide tooth comb to detangle under the stream of the water. I found detangling to be much easier with no hair in the comb.

I wonder why some instructions on condtioner bottles tell you to comb through. I was losing more hair than necessary doing this. When I skipped this step I lost none. It is a hard habit to break, I've been doing this as long as I can remember.

Just thought I'd share.

Ashee

I noticed this too...
I think that in the mist of washing & conditioning the hair is going through enough that I try & leave all combing for after all the main stuff is done.
I use my fingers to "comb through" or seperate the sections of my hair or let the water do most of it for me...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Interesting. I'm going to try this the next time I wash... not comb thru the hair when conditioner is in it. :yep:

baglady215

I've never combed through, even if the directions say to do so. I just thought it was unnecessary hair handling. I just make sure to massage the conditioner in really well. It's always worked for me!

Shatani, I think she meant she detangles under a stream of water AFTER her deep conditioning...

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
simplycee said:
I just recently cut out a step in my wash regemin. I was surprised how leaving out this one step made a difference. I used to comb the conditioner through my hair to ensure that each and evey strand was treated. I would always end up with hair in my comb, even though it is a jibere shower comb. I would even find hair in my comb no matter how gentle I was.

This past couple wash days I have left that step out. After shampooing I used my hands to seperate my hair into two sections and carefully applied the conditioner starting at the ends and working my way up. I usually take the time to comb the conditioner through but decided to skip that part. I deep conditioned as usual. I rinsed in the shower and used my jibere wide tooth comb to detangle under the stream of the water. I found detangling to be much easier with no hair in the comb.

I wonder why some instructions on condtioner bottles tell you to comb through. I was losing more hair than necessary doing this. When I skipped this step I lost none. It is a hard habit to break, I've been doing this as long as I can remember.

Just thought I'd share.

Thanks Cee! Glad you found something to help...

Me, on the other hand, it doesn't much matter. I shed on a regular basis. When I finger comb I get hair. I just accept it as a part of my life. I just, now, watch the amount I shed and watch for breakage.

Yes, Shatani, it would just go down the drain. I just recently bought a hair catcher so that I can be as accurate as possible when I'm watching my lost shed hairs. I found hair going down the drain in rinsing...

Carlie

baglady215 said:
I've never combed through, even if the directions say to do so. I just thought it was unnecessary hair handling. I just make sure to massage the conditioner in really well. It's always worked for me!

Same here. I don't comb either. I never saw a point in doing so. My hands work just fine when it comes to distributing conditioner.:yep:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I have a drain catcher too and I don't usually have alot of hair in it. I think that combing thru the conditioner was the problem. Thanks for the responses ladies.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I realize that whenever I have conditioner in my hair and I try to comb through to the ends I always see a few strands of my hair in my comb too. After reading Nicole's book, Healthy black hair, I stopped combing through whenever I have conditioner in my hair.

She states that when you condition your hair you should massage well, use a generous amount of conditioner to make sure the hair is completely covered. But DO NOT COMB THROUGH. Snap on a plastic cap and sit under a warm dryer for 10 minutes. Rinse well and follow with an instant conditioner.

VelvetRain

I don't comb through conditioners either. I just massage it in with my hands and throw on a shower cap and call it day. Why risk a lot of breakage by combing it in anyway?

YummyC

simplycee said:

Just thought I'd share.

Glad you mentioned this. I skip this step as well. I learned not to do it. On my last relaxer stretch, I made the mistake of combing while the conditioner was in. BIG mistake. Needless to say, I was sad. Now I detangle with my fingers while the water runs through my hair. I have not seen any hair loss or breakage so far. HTH

Shatani

its interesting that so many of you do this! i was under the impression that if i didnt detangle with the conditioner in before rinsing i would be in BIG trouble....

sylver2

I have always combed my conditioner thru under running water. Even if I didn't, I still eventually will have to comb hair later on after rinse or when applying leave in. If my hair is not combed thru b4 drying, it would be a nappy mess.
I've just accepted hair in comb as part of natural shed process.

tryn2growmyhair

Shatani said:
if youre detangling under the stream, wont it just go down the drain??
Yes it does. :lachen: :lachen: I thought I wasnt losing any hair when combing my hair in the shower until I checked the stopper at the top of the drain. That's why I wonder if combing hair in the shower helps to stop breakage or if you just notice it less. :ohwell:

ubavka123

I pick and choose the conditioners that I comb through. I comb through slippery conditioners like 5-n-1 and Emergencee, but I refuse to comb through gummier conditioners like Salerm Wheat Germ, etc. If the consistency is more like a gel, I can comb through, but if it is more like a cream, then I do not. I always use my hands with the creamier conditioners or else I lose hairs unnecessarily.

PhonyBaloney500

I thought the purpose of combing+conditioner was to detangle and you just do it while the conditioner is in to minimize breakgage?

locabouthair

PhonyBaloney500 said:
I thought the purpose of combing+conditioner was to detangle and you just do it while the conditioner is in to minimize breakgage?
That's what I thought also. Is this method of no combing for relaxed hair? Because I have heard many naturals say that they comb their hair when it has the conditioner in it.

Faith

Late in replying but my last wash I also skipped the conditioner comb through and overall I lost less hair than usual. It's a good idea to skip it if you can IMO

Ashee

Honeyhips said:
Aren't we supposed to have some hair loss daily? That is what I thought was in my comb.
We're supposed to have shedding as the regular daily norm, but when your force the comb to try & go through your curly hair in one straight shot, it snaps the hair, giving breakage in the comb...
Being that the hair is so vulnerable when wet, it is no surprise that it snaps under pressure... Finger combing or rake combing is a much better solution!
-HTH :look:

chellee

I also lose a lot of hair when doing this. I will let the water detangle my hair from now on. Such a simple solution. Thanks!

mkstar826

supersonic
locabouthair said:
That's what I thought also. Is this method of no combing for relaxed hair? Because I have heard many naturals say that they comb their hair when it has the conditioner in it.

I don't think it's a relaxed thing because I don't use conditioner to detangle or comb conditioner through my hair either. I get in the shower and use the pressure from the water and a comb to detangle and then shampoo. Then I put conditioner on with a cap and deep condition and just rinse it out. It's much easier on my hair.

Neroli

I can skip the conditioner "comb thru" maybe the first 4 weeks or so post touchup, but Lord Have Mercy, once my new growth comes in, there's no other way for me to detangle my 4b hair without major breakage. Combing the conditioner thru has been one of the primary methods to help me stretch to 12 weeks between relaxers. . . .

Nsslovely

PhonyBaloney500 said:
yes but hair is more vulnerable wet